As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Thread 2. Yep, we're still at it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes.

there is a noticeable difference. I see it more on ecco than on myself, but then, he's also like half my weight. literally. i can tell when he's been well fed.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i oughta take a picture of myself to prove how fat i've gotten to my future not so fat self

hmmm

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    those pictures can be rather frightening to look at. photos don't lie as nicely as your mind does.

but i should probably do the same....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ugh...

How come I have the willpower not to buy bullshit food at the market, but when it gets left lying around, I can't seem to leave it alone?

Today was amazing. Until I got home and ate half a bag of chips. The fuck is wrong with me? Jesus.

Nothing is "wrong" per-say; probably just force of habit for the most part that goes away with time. Another option could be that you need to tweak your diet some. Do you have a day where you allow yourself to eat foods that are higher in fat/sodium/sugar, within moderation of course?
    ok, so i haven't lost weight, but at the same time i haven't gained much weight either. now that i have numbers to work with, it should become a bit easier. this was also in the middle of the day, right after lunch that i was weighing too, so who knows...

You've probably already researched this, but I'd figure I'd re-enforce this for others not hip to the topic; always attempt to weigh yourself at the same time each day, and try to look at the weekly trends for weight loss versus the day-to-day. Day-to-day will be varied due to scale quality and natural stress/eating/etc.
    i oughta take a picture of myself to prove how fat i've gotten to my future not so fat self

hmmm
    those pictures can be rather frightening to look at. photos don't lie as nicely as your mind does.

but i should probably do the same....

Yes, do this. Profile & Front facing shirtless shots and take new ones monthly or bi-monthly (depending on how aggressive you've set up your work-out/nutrition plan). With consistent exercise and proper diet, you'll be pretty much floored at the results.

(Yes, I am a new poster. Long time lurker - first time poster.. hmm that reads more creepy than it sounds as an internal monologue).

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeha, I know. I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning before food.

but we literally just bought the scale, so I wanted to get an idea of the baseline kinda thing.

I also usually weigh myself completely naked, and this afternoon I was wearing clothes, so you know. lol. :P

Alright, fridge is to be stocked up with lots of veggies! yeay!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone else notice a pretty major increase in the size of their stomach after they eat? I feel like I shouldn't be seeing such a difference.

Yes. It's ridiculous. I always look my slimmest when waking up.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice a pretty major increase in the size of their stomach after they eat? I feel like I shouldn't be seeing such a difference.

Yes. It's ridiculous. I always look my slimmest when waking up.

Yeah, it happens. When my bodyfat is down I get to watch myself lose abs as the day goes along, no matter what I eat. It's also why I weigh and measure myself in the morning.

A duck! on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, after checking out the thread in H/A, along with the site and reviews, I've decided to pick up p90x. In exchange for not getting a 3DS on Sunday. If I can complete the 90 days, then I'll be allowed to get it totally guilt-free of the fact that I will hardly ever play it. :P

It isn't for the weight-loss aspect--I know I can lose the weight without lifting a finger, really. But lately I had just started with that "50 pull-ups" thing, and I forgot how good it felt to be sore. And I realized I have no idea how to actually go about getting in shape.

I've been able to stick to a workout routine before--up every morning at 5, for 45 minutes on an elliptical plus some more time with weights in my living room. But I never saw any real gains, and I was always tired. I realize now looking back that I was eating very high-carb and not getting nearly enough protein. Which was "healthy" but not at all healthy. I lost weight, yeah, but beyond that, I didn't feel better.

So I'm interested in actually getting in shape beyond just losing weight. I've got my wedding coming up in 7 and a half months, and it would be awesome to have gotten through 2 rounds of p90x by then.

I don't expect to have the sort of body they show in the pictures, any improvement would be more than welcome. :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good luck, Inksplat. I haven't done p90x, but I hear it's no joke if you really stick to it.

I did Insanity for a while about a year ago and it kicked my dick into the dirt. If you work as hard as possible every time and eat properly, you're going to get in pretty awesome shape.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish I could trade food for alcohol. I'd gladly give up solid foods in exchange for being able to get all of the vitamins and nutrients I need from booze.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alcohol hinders protein synthesis, among other things, so that would be a terrible idea if you're lifting. You really should keep alcohol consumption to a minimum if you're exercising.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's my entire point. It's like god's playing a sick, sick joke on us. "Hey guys, you can have a great time and go through life feeling awesome...or you know, you could be healthy and live a long life."

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I honestly thought that was going to say '...or you know, you could be drunk.'

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, I am certain that I'm fatter after this weekend.

Also I need more fiber. Gonna look into psyllium husks.

Edit: And I wasn't!

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    It's kinda surreal to think I've almost lost 35 pounds.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    down from 186 to about 170-172 over the past 4 weeks or so. have been kind of relaxing the protein fast (went to a dinner party and out for drinks this weekend and also cooked a shitload of chicken tikka masala).

i'm not sure if i have a really stubborn cold or spring allergies because my nose has been running like a faucet. i've held off on going to the gym because of this but am considering just sucking it up and giving it a shot.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. I have a question.

Today I've eaten

2 cups kashi cereal
    a salad of iceberg lettuce with cut up morningstar buffalo wings and light ranch dressing
    A handful of almonds (not even a serving)
    Two bowls of homemade beef stew (I was hungry). It would have been 3-4 cups of veggies, potatoes, and beef. Overboard? Too much at once?

Sorry if this seems dumb, haha.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hooray workout videos from the states have arrived! Most joy!! i'm off to do my 3 miles for the day.

you know, once i stop throwing up.....

ok,maybe not tonight.

you know, being sick sure puts a damper on this whole exercise thing...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2011
    Hmm. I have a question.

Today I've eaten

2 cups kashi cereal
    a salad of iceberg lettuce with cut up morningstar buffalo wings and light ranch dressing
    Two bowls of homemade beef stew (I was hungry). It would have been 3-4 cups of veggies, potatoes, and beef. Overboard? Too much at once?

I don't think I can really judge based on the information you gave. For example, I have no idea what the stats on your ranch dressing are, how much you used, how much chicken you had, etc. In the long run you're better off counting grams of protein, fats and carbs and working from there, because once you get an idea of the absolute value of things you can make tradeoffs more accurately. Are you doing low-carb Atkins-style, or a calorie restricted diet?

A duck! on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    down from 186 to about 170-172 over the past 4 weeks or so. have been kind of relaxing the protein fast (went to a dinner party and out for drinks this weekend and also cooked a shitload of chicken tikka masala).

i'm not sure if i have a really stubborn cold or spring allergies because my nose has been running like a faucet. i've held off on going to the gym because of this but am considering just sucking it up and giving it a shot.

The good news is that, according to the CDC, it's not anthrax. :D

On a serious note, if you're concerned, and your nose has been running for longer than 10 days, you could always consult your primary care physician (anything less than 10 days without any additional symptoms normally is a cold or allergies due to a heavy bloom - so I hear).
    I'm not a doctor.... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    Hmm. I have a question.

Today I've eaten

2 cups kashi cereal

I don't think I can really judge based on the information you gave. For example, I have no idea what the stats on your ranch dressing are, how much you used, how much chicken you had, etc. In the long run you're better off counting grams of protein, fats and carbs and working from there, because once you get an idea of the absolute value of things you can make tradeoffs more accurately. Are you doing low-carb Atkins-style, or a calorie restricted diet?

Calorie restricted. The ranch dressing is about 40 cal per tablespoon. I'm looking for something better, but I'd say I used 4 tbsp of it. I'm really careful about how much I use.

I used a single 200 cal serving of the buffalo wings, also (They're veggie substitutes). I was just concerned that I ate too much for supper. My last post is kinda making me facepalm right now.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't worked out for 3 weeks now due to moving. I feel like crap, those endorphins were a nice daily boost in general and I was just starting to make noticeable progress.

I pray that I will have time to get my training regiment on its feet again next week.

Movitz on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As of today, I've lost 45 lbs since January.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Hmmm.

Yup. I'm officially inspired.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Congrats, man. I'm at 25lbs lost since January myself. I've been working on not losing a lot of weight quickly, though. I figured a steady play of about 10lbs a month (I started in mid January) would work best for me. Seeing this, though, gives me major motivation to keep up with the plan.

I've recently added using an elliptical to my dieting to help the weight loss. I'm using it for 20 minutes each weekday and two 20 minute sessions (once in the morning and once in the early evening) on the weekends. 20 minutes is about as long as I can last right now before my knees start to give out. My plan is to increase it in the coming months as my knees strengthen.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Congrats, man. I'm at 25lbs lost since January myself. I've been working on not losing a lot of weight quickly, though. I figured a steady play of about 10lbs a month (I started in mid January) would work best for me. Seeing this, though, gives me major motivation to keep up with the plan.

I've recently added using an elliptical to my dieting to help the weight loss. I'm using it for 20 minutes each weekday and two 20 minute sessions (once in the morning and once in the early evening) on the weekends. 20 minutes is about as long as I can last right now before my knees start to give out. My plan is to increase it in the coming months as my knees strengthen.

10 lbs is a great goal, especially with exercise.

Right now I'm just trying to lose enough to where I can comfortably work out without hurting my back and knees, I've got another 35 to go before I hit my mark where that happens. I'm hoping to be there by mid-summer.

Atomika on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »

10 lbs is a great goal, especially with exercise.

Right now I'm just trying to lose enough to where I can comfortably work out without hurting my back and knees, I've got another 35 to go before I hit my mark where that happens. I'm hoping to be there by mid-summer.

I understand the concerns about your knees. My knees are why I started my diet in the first place. I was at 290lbs when I started in January, and it hurt just to walk up stairs. That's when I knew I had to do something about it. My goal is to get back down to where I was when I graduated high school a good decade ago, which was around 210.

If I can stick to my 10lbs a month, I should hit that sometime in September or October. The real challenge is that I know if I just stick with what I'm doing now, I'll start to slow down the weight loss as I get closer to my goal. To combat that, I'll be re-evaluating my diet when I hit 250lbs. That'll be the half way mark to my goal, so it should be a good time to examine my lifestyle again, just like I did when I started, and setup a plan to help me lose the second half of my weight.

Once I hit 220lbs, I'll switch my plan from "Lose a bunch of Weight" to "Get in Shape." This should allow me to burn off that last 10lbs, and then put some of it back on as muscle rather than fat, which I hope to leave me comfortably somewhere between 210lbs and 220lbs.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've noticed that as I workout, I become more critical of my appearance. Even though I know I look better than I did before I started exercising, I still gradually become less satisfied with my appearance over time, despite noticeable improvements. While this may motivate me to stick to my workout schedule when I'm tired, or feeling lazy, it is somewhat depressing. It's odd, because when I'm overweight it doesn't bother me too much.

Congrats, that's pretty impressive.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Taranis wrote: »

Congrats, that's pretty impressive.

It's all just been by watching my diet.

No carbs, no fats, just green vegetables, fruits, and white proteins.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    holy crap Ross, congrats.

i'm planning on dragging ecco out to the fitness expo this weekend, try and get a good look at some crosstrainers/ellipticals for us to buy.

i've made myself 2 goals, the weight loss goal which is achievable but will take some time. the other is to be able to participate in an 8k walk/run next march. Participate and finish. I figure if I can get to that point,then I'll be doing alright.

Speaking of, it's off to my 2k walk to the store!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought this was interesting:
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/24/132745785/how-western-diets-are-making-the-world-sick

I was raised on a diet of non-processed foods and have always weighed 120 or 130 while my friends of similar build would say they weigh 160-180 while not being especially fat. that always confused me.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ross, I have to ask.

how does that diet not get boring? I mean. No really, how does it not get boring? I can't think of a better way to ask that question.

I think my hardest thing with sticking to diets is having them not be boring.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ross, I have to ask.

how does that diet not get boring? I mean. No really, how does it not get boring? I can't think of a better way to ask that question.

I think my hardest thing with sticking to diets is having them not be boring.

It is hard, I won't lie.

The trick, I've found, is having a decent knowledge of food preparation techniques, as well as not being fearful to try new and unfamiliar products at the market, or being afraid of not knowing how to cook those products.

Also, switch up your proteins often. I find that I can go several meals eating green beans or asparagus or mushrooms as a side, but can't really go more than two meals in a row with the same protein. There's an ocean full of white protein options, so go crazy. Just in the last three weeks, I've cooked:
    - grilled shrimp
    - bay scallops
    - redfish
    - haddock
    - cod
    - sea bass
    - tilapia
    - dover sole
    - flounder
    - halibut

And you can still cook the standby, chicken, about a million different ways, and you can have other white proteins, like turkey or crawfish or crab or lobster. I've even ordered quail. Just no pork. Get creative and try out substitutions if a dish recipe won't fit the diet. I've made Chicken Tikka Masala where all of the sauce and marinade added only 50 calories. As well, try using no-calorie cooking sprays instead of oil or butter.

The absolute best part about the diet is the fact that there is no exercise component, as working out with such little energy stores isn't healthy or safe.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    man, that sounds so fairly easy. I like fish, the boyfriend likes fish. we both like vegetables (although I am horribly addicted to carbs, and holy smokes do i have a sweet tooth).

the biggest hurdle i see for me doing that is that fish is so crazy expensive down here (yes yes island nation, but no really most of the fish is exported). the cheap fish being salmon or some other local fish that I have no idea what it is or how to cook it.

So you lost 45 lbs doing this diet, without any exercise.... hmm

i might have to look into this, is there a website or something that you can point me to, Ross?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Isn't this the 600 calorie diet, or did you switch to something more substantive?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    man, that sounds so fairly easy. I like fish, the boyfriend likes fish. we both like vegetables (although I am horribly addicted to carbs, and holy smokes do i have a sweet tooth).

the biggest hurdle i see for me doing that is that fish is so crazy expensive down here (yes yes island nation, but no really most of the fish is exported). the cheap fish being salmon or some other local fish that I have no idea what it is or how to cook it.

i might have to look into this, is there a website or something that you can point me to, Ross?

My favorite way to cook salmon is to brush it with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, wrap it in foil, and grill/bake it. Cook it medium rare. It's so good.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

My favorite way to cook salmon is to brush it with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, wrap it in foil, and grill/bake it. Cook it medium rare. It's so good.

And you just gave me my dinner for tonight. Thanks!

Seriously, I love Salmon. Usually I just grill it with a hint of lemon and salt and pepper but I hadn't thought about baking it.

And congrats to everyone losing the weight! Impressive stuff.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cross post from the SE Weight Training thread:

So I decided to do some bodyweight exercises tonight to work on my legs.

Warmup:

10 box jumps
    15 box jumps
    20 box jumps
    15 box jumps
    10 box jumps

*put on 20 lb weight vest and repeat*

*keep vest on and do a bunch of lunges*

Keep vest on:

10 squats
    15 squats
    20 squats
    15 squats
    10 squats

Keep vest on:

10 squat jumps
    15 squat jumps
    20 squat jumps
    15 squat jumps
    10 squat jumps

Walk up stairs and then run a mile with the vest still on

My legs were not happy with me last night. Not as angry this morning, at least.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah 45 is goddamn impressive. Grats

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did not initially enter this challenge, but back at the end of January I decided that I needed to lose some weight. I'm 6'2", and at the time I was ~205 lb. (93 kilos). This was not really a happy weight for me, as I have been this height since roughly 17, and at that time I weighed 160 lb. While I don't think I need to drop down to my college weight, I knew that I was well above my happy weight and had some pounds to shed.

Since then, I've lost roughly 19 pounds and am sitting at 186 lb. I've noticed a difference in the way my pants fit and my stomach has definitely gotten smaller. I am much happier at this weight, however I seem to be having some trouble losing weight beyond this threshold.

Up to this point, I've done this purely by cutting out junk food and controlling my calorie intake. I have to admit, for the past two weeks I have not been keeping to my diet very well--I've had some personal stuff going on, on top of end-of-the-semester shenanigans and academic journal work, so I've been pretty stressed out. But I am wondering if perhaps I've reached the point where my weight isn't going to drop much more without either 1) a much more drastic caloric reduction or 2) some kind of workout regimen. Figured I'd pop by here and get your collective wisdom!

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve