As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Thread 2. Yep, we're still at it.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    EWom, you're at the exact same starting weight as I, and I've lost 30 pounds since Jan doing pretty much the same thing (only I totally cut out normal soda and stick with diet).

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like to start my weeks off with a bang. If anyone else wants to try it, go for it, it's pretty much all the exercise you need all day for a normal person.

TOMORROW MORNING: 9 mile ruck march w/35 pound ruck. ~1500 calories.

(I usually start mine at 3 a.m. so I don't miss breakfast. Trust me, you need to eat after this)

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to complete this?

Also, not sure how many of you drink coffee or energy drinks on a regular basis, but I generally have a Lo-Carb Monster every morning before I head to work. 20 calories, 6g carbs, 6g sugar. Perfectly fine considering I'm pretty strict with my diet the rest of the day.

Just yesterday I found out that Monster now makes a product called Absolutely Zero, which has 0 calories, 2g carbs and 0g sugar. Also, it tastes better than the Lo-Carb. The only problem is that I need a 10 pack and they don't have them at my local Wal-mart. Buying them one by one is just silly.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    EWom wrote: »
    I decided to I need to lose weight, a while ago. This came about because I got sweaty putting on my shoes.

I started my "program" in Feb. I started at 275 lbs. I'm now 255 lbs.

My program consists primarily of cutting out soda and all the snacking I do from my day to day life. While I still am drinking some soda, it is nothing compared to the 5+ cans a day I was drinking. I've pretty much cut out the snacks, which used to be stuff like cookies, microwave burritos, potato chips and other shit that's not good for you. If I "need" a snack now, I try and make it a piece of fruit, or nuts, or something like that.

My program has me starting out with light exercise, which is just walking right now. I've got several fairly major injuries, that bother me daily (and the excess weight doesn't help them any), that resulted in me being hit by a truck while riding my bike about 5 years ago. I don't have a set distance I walk. I just go and walk, until my really bad knee, starts hurting too bad, then I head back. The colder it is outside, the faster it hurts.

My goal is to lose 100lbs total, and go from 275 to 175.

Starting out slow is a good idea, especially if you have injuries to worry about. I'm betting that they'll probably stop hurting less the more weight you lose, too.

Keep at it. You're on the right track. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like to start my weeks off with a bang. If anyone else wants to try it, go for it, it's pretty much all the exercise you need all day for a normal person.

(I usually start mine at 3 a.m. so I don't miss breakfast. Trust me, you need to eat after this)

Depends on the morning.

Honestly, I aim for 2 hours 15 minutes, or roughly 3 mph average. I woke up late today and was only able to do 6 miles, and I did in an hour and 36 minutes, or a little below average.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Also, not sure how many of you drink coffee or energy drinks on a regular basis, but I generally have a Lo-Carb Monster every morning before I head to work. 20 calories, 6g carbs, 6g sugar. Perfectly fine considering I'm pretty strict with my diet the rest of the day.

Just yesterday I found out that Monster now makes a product called Absolutely Zero, which has 0 calories, 2g carbs and 0g sugar. Also, it tastes better than the Lo-Carb. The only problem is that I need a 10 pack and they don't have them at my local Wal-mart. Buying them one by one is just silly.

Absolute Zero is pretty fantastic. Not only that, but it uses a different kind of sugar alcohol that doesn't just end up as glucose anyway like most.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a coffee before my workouts. I dont know how healthy or beneficial it is but its a practice im not stopping unless its terrible for me

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a coffee before my workouts. I dont know how healthy or beneficial it is but its a practice im not stopping unless its terrible for me

In my not-very-scientific-but-expansive Official Internet Research, it seems that caffeine before a workout can be a great energy boost (so long as you drink a lot of water during that workout) and that coffee in general is fine.

Maybe I'm biasing that because I drink a pot a day, but whatever. I've lost 110 lbs in 10 months all while drinking ungodly amounts of coffee, so I'll drink as much as I damn well please.

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I drink about 1L of water each workout. I bought a 750ml bottle with a nozzley thing on it and found out it wasnt enough, so I keep stealing my husbands.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tevin wrote: »

In my not-very-scientific-but-expansive Official Internet Research, it seems that caffeine before a workout can be a great energy boost (so long as you drink a lot of water during that workout) and that coffee in general is fine.

Maybe I'm biasing that because I drink a pot a day, but whatever. I've lost 110 lbs in 10 months all while drinking ungodly amounts of coffee, so I'll drink as much as I damn well please.

Before and after pictures, yo. That's impressive.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have decided to participate, after several weeks of debate, delay, and laziness. Wish me luck!

godmode on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You got it.

I wish I had had the foresight to take a better before when I first started but no such luck, I only have some pics from a vacation before I started.

I'll put them up later today, I need to do an after shot.

I'm going to do some sort of something when it's a year that I also plan to put up on fitness subreddit over on reddit. I kind of want to spread the word as much as possible so people can see, "Oh, yeah, I can totally do that," because they can. It ain't easy, but anyone can do it.

Tevin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have decided to participate, after several weeks of debate, delay, and laziness. Wish me luck!

Glad to hear it! Welcome!

Also, as corny as this sounds, there's no luck involved. Which, really, is good for you because that means that there's no bad luck to keep you down.

What are your goals?

Tevin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ~35 lbs and a pants-size or so. Would be nice to do by summer, but realistically I'd like to just lose the weight and keep it off by the end of the year.

godmode on
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Biggest issue is going to be that caffeine is a diuretic and so its going to dehydrate you pretty quickly in addition to a strenuous workout. All that really means is drink a bunch of water though. As far as causing serious harm, I used to drink about a liter of double or triple strength coffee over the course of the day and work out twice a day, didn't seem to cause any serious damage.

Also, starting today, going back to working out since I can feel how out of shape I am walking to class. Wish me luck (well, really perseverance).

edit: I should have goals. Unfortunately, at the moment they're somewhat vague. I'm about the same wight I used to be, but I've swapped about 20 pounds of muscle for fat over the last few years. I think there's a 5k in about 2 months that I want to be able to run, might go for the 10k if I am in good enough shape.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Syrdon wrote: »
    Biggest issue is going to be that caffeine is a diuretic and so its going to dehydrate you pretty quickly in addition to a strenuous workout. All that really means is drink a bunch of water though. As far as causing serious harm, I used to drink about a liter of double or triple strength coffee over the course of the day and work out twice a day, didn't seem to cause any serious damage.

Also, starting today, going back to working out since I can feel how out of shape I am walking to class. Wish me luck (well, really perseverance).

The thing that's nice about coffee or any CNS stimulant is that it can help push yourself harder.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    godmode wrote: »
    ~35 lbs and a pants-size or so. Would be nice to do by summer, but realistically I'd like to just lose the weight and keep it off by the end of the year.

If you're dedicated and careful, you should be able to do it by late June or March. I joined up in January, and I've lost almost 25lbs. All I did was start counting my calories and taking in what was normal for someone my age and desired weight (between 2200 and 2400 a day) and add in a bit of light exercise to help the process along. I've dropped about two pounds a week doing so. The strength to stay on the diet is the most important part. Given I used to take in about 3500 calories a day, it's been a difficult change, but one I've felt is worth it.

This weekend I realized that I was on the last notch on my belt and it won't be useful anymore. I never throw out clothes, though, so I'm going to have to dig through my bags and boxes of clothes and see if I can't find some smaller jeans that will fit without falling off. I'm actually looking forward to it.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, so here is the story. I have been semi athletic but over weight my whole life. About ten years ago I ended up getting Crohn's disease and it really destroyed all my muscle etc...got down to around 140 lbs from my usual 240 - 250 was in a wheelchair, the whole bit. When I finally got healthy again I put on a ton of weight and ballooned up to 300 pounds this time with no muscle to help burn all that fat. I then went on Nutrisystem and got down to around 240, but to be honest I couldnt stick with it for more than about 8 months before I got very tired of eating the exact same things every single day. I am now back up to 270 about a year and a half after quiting. My current diet consists of a large coffee, one boiled egg, 10 - 12 grapes, half an apple, and a mini bagle with peanut butter for breakfast, a handfull of Almonds for a snack in the mid morning. A healthy choice meal, diet soda and a greek yogurt for lunch and I cook something for dinner...could be a pork chop and mixed veggies, spaggetti with lean hamburger, chicken wraps with sweet potato fries. maybe twice a week I will have a frozen chocolate bannana after dinner and no non diet sodas during the week. I do induldge in eating out on the weekends where I will have full cal soda and will drink a few beers socially on most saturday evenings.

I have gained 30 pounds eating this way in less than a year...my metabolism just sucks. I get to the gym and do an eliptical or swim about twice a week for 45 minutes and play softball for about 3 hours every Sunday. I am in the process of ordering a meal plan...not really a diet this time, just a system that provides guidance on how to alter my regular intake...but that is going to take a few weeks to get here.

I see you all have been having some pretty solid success....so I was hoping for some pointers, some encouragement and some guidance from those who are there with me, or have been there and figured out how to do things better. I would love to get down to around 200 pounds, I have no delusions of being an adonis...just healthy and not hating what I see in the mirror. I know I should work out more, but I lead a busy work life and the Crohn's does slow me down a bit...so please bear in mind that extreme work out routines several days a week just isnt in the cards for me.

Loooong story short ...any pointers ?

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay,time to stop ignoring this thread. Ive been trying to lose weight for awhile and have been making good progress since i joined my schools football team. I really enjoyed getting exercise doing something i liked. I had stopped drinking soda and eating so damn much and even went down a few sizes but after the season was over i fell off the wagon hard. I just had no motivation to lose weight except for dropping a few pounds for pax east but i couldn't get into it anymore. then my mom died while i was at pax and now I feel like ALL I do is eat the worst foods available but now after all the crap ive been going through this year already I feel like the one thing i could do to better myself is lose some weight. Ive started by using my treadmill and avoiding anything with high fructose corn syrup and only allowing myself granola bars as a snack every now and then and have posted this in hopes that i could learn a thing or two from my fellow PAers and get motivated to drop a few.

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just remember that when doing things like cardio, the first 30 minutes are so are just your body getting ready. It's after the first half-hour is where you make your money, as they say.

So just pretend the first 30 minutes of your elliptical, run, jog, swim, hike, or march simply don't exist.

EDIT: As a counterpoint to that, before strength training a 10 minute jog on the treadmill can really get your body ready to throw down.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to all the new signups. Make sure to add yourself to the spreadsheet.

@Hawstone Truthfully your diet seems just fine to me, though I don't have the strictest diet myself (Always rather indulge a bit and work it off at the gym), so maybe someone can give better encouragment there. Though you really must have horrible metabolism to gain weight on it. The only thing I can recommend is to keep at it. I can relate to having a busy life, but if you can try to find 45-60 minutes a day for light cardio. You don't have to push yourself very hard. Start with 5 minutes walking, 1 minute speed walking. Then when you get comfortable with that change the pace or times.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the quick response Kyo, you have however confirmed what I was afraid of...I really do need to make the Gym an every day thing. I need to get my cardio up for Softball season anyway, so I guess its time to man up.

And yes I have always seemed to have about the worst metabolism ever, my whole family..not just immediate, but cousins, aunts, uncles are all at least moderately if not severely overweight. The only exceptions are those who have very physical professions coupled with either a very gregarious hobby like mountain biking or being a monster work out freak, and I can number those exceptions on one hand.

Its sort of a testament to the family physique that I have a disease that is supposed to make it very difficult to keep weight on and I am a giant fat ass of epic proportions and apparently my desk job is not helping matters...lol

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Devil-BoyDevil-Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This last week was pretty good to me. In the past, I had been throwing in a couple cheat meals over the weekends. When I say "cheat meal", it's really more like binging (my gf is a bad influence and doesn't know what a normal metabolism is). Even though my daily Monday-Friday caloric intake is around 1700-1800, I still have slowed down to losing about 1lb per week. Nothing to scoff at, I know, but 2lbs is my goal.

Anyways, I remained strong and didn't cheat this weekend. The result was a 4lb loss this week! Still trying to tune my diet a bit, but I like what I see.

On the exercise side of things, HIIT is doing wonders for my 1 mile time. I ran a 6:58, which is 30sec faster than I've ever run in my life, even when I weighed 20 lbs less a few years back. I never thought it possible, but I'm starting to think I can eventually push down to 6:00 over the next year.

Devil-Boy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ever since I started climbing again I have developed a big sweet tooth. I used to not care at all but now I crave sweets.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ever since I started climbing again I have developed a big sweet tooth. I used to not care at all but now I crave sweets.

Try consuming protein.

It sounds weird but I swear it works, for some reason.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I taped myself today, and according to the method that I used I am at 20% body fat. If I only lost body fat (rather than built muscle as well) for the next few weeks my goal would be about 173. I'm hoping I can hit 10% at 180-190.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Weight training for 40 minutes yesterday, then 25 laps in the pool.

Fuck you, body.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I pose this question to the thread.

How do you guys all feel about tea?

I usually drink Earl Grey with about two teaspoons of milk and some honey.

Is that too sugar heavy? Its impossible to avoid sugar altogether and I'm just curious.

I'm not looking to lose weight just eat/drink healthier.

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I learned a valuable lesson today: Don't ever think you are in any way shape or form fit, unless you can make your way through an aerobics class.

Holy ow, batman.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is that too sugar heavy? Its impossible to avoid sugar altogether and I'm just curious.

If it keeps you from a Snickers/pie/ice cream/deep fried Twinky or what have you, don't sweat it. You're right, it's impossible to totally avoid sugar and if you're uber militant about it, you'll probably drive yourself crazy and end up quitting in a whirlwind of Butter Fingers and regret.

Tevin on
  • Options
    LetoatradsLetoatrads Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tevin wrote: »

If it keeps you from a Snickers/pie/ice cream/deep fried Twinky or what have you, don't sweat it. You're right, it's impossible to totally avoid sugar and if you're uber militant about it, you'll probably drive yourself crazy and end up quitting in a whirlwind of Butter Fingers and regret.

Nah, I've solved that particular issue.

You get the sugar-free chocolate and binge on it - the whole damn thing.

Recall that the box warns you that 'some people may experience a laxative effect from excessive consumption'.

Problem solved, my colon has threatened my life should I ever undertake such foolishness again.

Letoatrads on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh hey, i did that the other week on sugar free sweets

Same outcome as you, too.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tea is good for you. antioxidants, etc. Honey is good too. The sugar may be a bit high, but it's fairly natural and less bad for you than HFCS.

Tea is a good way to get more water than normal, especially if you're like me and you really don't like water. I've gotten better at drinking more water as I've gotten more active, but sometimes you just get sick of tasting nothing. Tea is good for this.

Tea, black teas, can also provide you with caffeine which is good for energy levels, as well as getting rid of headaches.

so, I say go for the tea.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ugh. I've had a rough two days. A rough two days.

Noodles. That's all I'm gonna say.

Gonna pack a salad and some almonds for lunch tomorrow.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate switching gyms. For the next few weeks I'll be living with my parents, which means I'll be using a different gym. Now I have to adjust to different equipment, and figure out which weights/settings on this gym's equipment yield the same resistance as the equipment that I've been using. This new gym isn't even open for 24 hours during the week, so now it's going to be more difficult to maintain my workout schedule. The only advantage to using this new gym is that it's closer to the college campus (which has the largest nursing program in the state...), and it has a tv screen attached to each cardio machine.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Something I been wondering as I inch my way to my goal weight (150, currently at 164) is what will I do when I reach it.

I figure I'll have to adjust my workout schedules to concentrate on maintaining my weight and putting on more muscle tone instead of losing weight. I used to be afraid that once I reached my goal I would go back to my old habits but I think I can honestly say there's no way that's going to happen. I actually have build up those healthy habits that seem long lasting.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Something I been wondering as I inch my way to my goal weight (150, currently at 164) is what will I do when I reach it.

I figure I'll have to adjust my workout schedules to concentrate on maintaining my weight and putting on more muscle tone instead of losing weight. I used to be afraid that once I reached my goal I would go back to my old habits but I think I can honestly say there's no way that's going to happen. I actually have build up those healthy habits that seem long lasting.

:^:

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    ImriayldeImriaylde Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, for the first time in a while, I dragged myself out of bed early and jogged before work (I jogged, continuously, for the whole half hour, and made it 2.3 miles! Woo!) instead of after work like I normally do. I feel better right now than I usually do after my evening workouts, but I'm worried that once the endorphins go away I'm going to be completely exhausted all day. What's the consensus on morning workouts vs. evening workouts?

Also, I'm not sure if there are any other diabetics on the thread, but I noticed something really crazy today. Normally I check my blood sugar in the morning, and it's been between 100 and 130 the past couple weeks. Today, after 12+ hours of no carbs - I had some cheddar cheese later in the evening, but that was it - and after the exercise (which I was told should lower my blood sugar) I was at 201. I'm going to call my doctor today regardless, but I was wondering if this could somehow be tied to the exercise.

Imriaylde on
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2 months ago = 242
    This morning = 224.6
    Getting closer to the goal of 205, that's short term.
    I eventually want to hit 185.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Imriaylde wrote: »
    So, for the first time in a while, I dragged myself out of bed early and jogged before work (I jogged, continuously, for the whole half hour, and made it 2.3 miles! Woo!) instead of after work like I normally do. I feel better right now than I usually do after my evening workouts, but I'm worried that once the endorphins go away I'm going to be completely exhausted all day. What's the consensus on morning workouts vs. evening workouts?

When I was still in the military, my unit would exercise every Friday morning - one week doing crossfit-type stuff, then the next doing crossfit in the pool-type stuff, and I would always feel more energetic and upbeat on those days. It wasn't typical to crash later on, either. I don't know if it was just because it was Friday or what, but I would enjoy my mornings and afternoons better than I would on other weekdays. It's all about experimentin' and finding what feels best to you.

Personal update: I've lost ~2 lbs this week so far, and I haven't even started exercising yet...after I joined this thread, I started contemplating my diet more (Which isn't hard - I just moved to my new place almost two weeks ago and still haven't bought groceries), and am working out a workout plan. I'll probably end up going with afternoon exercising just because I typically stay up pretty late, and I couldn't imagine dragging myself out of bed every morning at 5 instead of 6:30. So I figure I get home from work about 4-4:30, work out from 4:30-5:30 or so, then do dinner and carry on with my evening. Going to start the gym routine today.

godmode on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can we have a discussion about calories in alcohol?

I know they are 'empty calories' but what does that really mean I guess. I ask because usually once or twice a week I'll have a day where I go out and have some drinks. Last night over the course of a long evening I had about 7 drinks. I don't know where that really put me though in terms of calories. Before going out I was at 1500 for the day. So on my tack sheet i just added 1000 calories and called it even. When I fill in those days I just write my closest approximation and then put a couple question marks next to it.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg