Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Debate and/or Discourse: AWESOME POST in "[Internet Dating] Travelling is really boring",

rizriz Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in [2008-2012] Awesome Posts?
riz has reported a post.

Reason:
A glorious bit of prose. Also, down with cilantro.
Forum: Debate and/or Discourse
Assigned Moderators: Elki, ElJeffe, Irond Will, jacobkosh

Posted by: Sarcastro
Original Content:
The Cilantro Gambit

So I was cruising profiles and kept seeing this one high-end match; a very smart, very cute girl, and among other things, mentions of Douglas Adams and Joss Whedon and such, and then, buried in a parenthesis I see she hates cilantro. Now folks, I goddamn hate cilantro, and I was trying to describe why. And then this happened.
Spoiler:

because thinking + Sarcastro = essay. So I sent it, well, with an intro paragraph at the end (hi, you seem pretty cool, I noticed you like three of my favorite things etc), and now I am having second thoughts. Well, first thoughts really, it was totally an impulse thing.

a) How weird is this?
b) There might be something wrong with me.

I am aware the second point is not a question.

riz on
Organichu wrote:
she's some sort of malevolent creature who bores through this world into the next using hatred and suffering as her fuel

• ToxTox I kill threads Pharezon's human garbage heapRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well played indeed, cilantro.

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    James Dean was the actor, Jimmy Dean was in the sausage business.

James Deen is both an actor AND in the sausage business.
    Secret Satans! Post | Gaming Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • AnialosAnialos RPG MPD patient #1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If that lady does not give him all of the e-lovin's there is no justice.

Dichotomy wrote: »
    I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

like "skinhead" or "republican"
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    4 stars for the tale alone. another star for using it to break the internet-ice with a lady-type.

camo_sig2.png
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited March 2011
    This is believed to be a genetic thing possibly arising from known variation in how you taste a certain chemical. I couldn't find any solid proof of this though. But googling it shows that there are people all over the world who loathe cilantro too.

I happen to love cilantro, personally :P

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god yes, I wasn't getting it at first but coriander sure is horribly disgusting. I have also heard the genetic explanation, my dad can't stand it either.

• RikushixRikushix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    This is believed to be a genetic thing possibly arising from known variation in how you taste a certain chemical. I couldn't find any solid proof of this though. But googling it shows that there are people all over the world who loathe cilantro too.

I wonder if this would explain aniseed.

I don't think I've ever met a single person who was ambivalent about the taste of liquorice. You either love it or you hate it. I despise black liquorice and I think it's the foodstuff of Satan himself. Same goes for black jellybeans and Sambuca.

edit: I actually found this webpage that mimics my feelings about liquorice and I'm wondering if people feel the same way. I can't stand aniseed, I dislike carraway, I'll permit fennel, I like basil, and tarragon is one of my favorite herbs to use ever, right behind rosemary. Someone on the thread even says "Are you sure you're not talking about cilantro? You're reacting like it's cilantro."

Anyway. It's a post by Sarcastro so by definition it gets at least four stars. Definitely one of my favourite posters.

StKbT.jpg
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spacemilk wrote: »

Yeah, I've read this before. I resent nature for doing this to me. It's really difficult to avoid cilantro. That's why I loved Sarcastro's post so much, really, because you'll order something that seems totally innocuous and then SURPRISE! Stuck picking tiny bits of leaves out of your soup before you can eat. Or just not eating it because it's so well blended in. Ugh.

Oh I hate black licorice too. :| But not to the same degree as cilantro.

Organichu wrote:
    she's some sort of malevolent creature who bores through this world into the next using hatred and suffering as her fuel
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    its me im ambivalent about black liquorice

• PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User
    edited March 2011
    The worst thing about cilantro? When you don't know it's in something and you bite right into a piece oh god gruhbllghhgh

We have to add cilantro to some of our soups at work and I always wait for the customer to say something about how awful it is. And they eat it.

Every.

Time.

• Triple BTriple B Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well I tell ya what, gents...

She better respond to, meet, and marry this man. If only to be able to tell their kids someday of how they met and fell in love because of a mutual and fiery hatred for cilantro.

Addendum: It really does taste like thoroughly tenderized, hard-boiled ass, though. Good call.

steam_sig.png
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only times I've ever said, "Sorry. I just can't eat this." were when the item in question was made with cilantro.

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
    edited March 2011
    I just ate some cilantro last night out of curiosity and I don't see what's so wrong with it. It doesn't really taste like anything. Just kinda musty.

StKbT.jpg
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucky.

Organichu wrote:
    edited March 2011
    riz wrote: »
    Lucky.

Srsly.

Most of us are tasting the cleft of a cow's hoof. You're tasting "kinda musty". You should be thankful.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I will admit that what I ate were most likely EXTREMELY old cilantro leaves (raided parent's spice rack while house-sitting), so maybe they were a little flavourless anyway. Hm. I will need to go out and buy some fresh cilantro to find out for sure!

I don't know about you guys, but I find that fascinating. The concept that there may be a genetic switch that makes us either love or hate something like cilantro.

StKbT.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    I will admit that what I ate were most likely EXTREMELY old cilantro leaves (raided parent's spice rack while house-sitting), so maybe they were a little flavourless anyway. Hm. I will need to go out and buy some fresh cilantro to find out for sure!

I don't know about you guys, but I find that fascinating. The concept that there may be a genetic switch that makes us either love or hate something like cilantro.

I'm sure there isn't like, one specific DNA thingy for only cilantro. It probably effects lots of things plus cilantro. In fact, I am willing to theorize that the presence of a soul would cause one to detest cilantro, and the absence thereof leads to its enjoyment.

I also found a somewhat interesting article on the subject. In fact, there are websites solely dedicated to the hatred of cilantro.

I also hate anything to do with any vegetable that has "pepper" in the name, cannot stand raw tomatoes but love tomato products like tomato soup, and ragù, am completely infatuated with basil, and therefore find pesto to be one of life's greater food-related joys.

I might be kinda weird.

steam_sig.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    In fact, I am willing to theorize that the presence of a soul would cause one to detest cilantro, and the absence thereof leads to its enjoyment.

I love cilantro. It has to be that you're tasting it wrong. Or maybe I'm tasting it wrong.

But if I could choose whether to absolutely love or hate an innocuous herb, I'd go with love.

Although since I am an atheist, it could be sort of like the inverse of holy water: anathema to Christians.

Edit: Oh, and despite our differences of opinion, this still deserves 5 stars. He did actually send it before asking PA dudes about their opinions on it, right?

edited March 2011
    or maybe you just enjoy things that taste like butt AMIRITE :P

steam_sig.png
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do like cilantro, just the leaves though. Has a cirtusy-lemony flavour going on.

edited March 2011
    Triple B wrote: »

I'm sure there isn't like, one specific DNA thingy for only cilantro. It probably effects lots of things plus cilantro. In fact, I am willing to theorize that the presence of a soul would cause one to detest cilantro, and the absence thereof leads to its enjoyment.

I also found a somewhat interesting article on the subject. In fact, there are websites solely dedicated to the hatred of cilantro.

I also hate anything to do with any vegetable that has "pepper" in the name, cannot stand raw tomatoes but love tomato products like tomato soup, and ragù, am completely infatuated with basil, and therefore find pesto to be one of life's greater food-related joys.

I might be kinda weird.

Do you like tomatoes on sandwiches or burgers?

StKbT.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Do you like tomatoes on sandwiches or burgers?

I do not like them anywhere

steam_sig.png