As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's the easiest way to find general drivers for an old PC?

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
Tomorrow I'm going to be reformatting a few PCs for a friend, and while he still has the operating system disks to reinstall from, he no longer has the correct set of drivers for the motherboard/sound/network/etc.

The computers are all old prebuilt Dells (the 8000 line I believe) so I'm not sure if Windows update would be able to pick it up, and well, it might be hard to get online without the network drivers anyway.

Is there a website with a database, or an easy way to look up the hardware inside of the machines online to get drivers ahead of time? I'd like to be as prepared as possible, because I'm not getting payed for my work and I want to get it done as quickly as possible. Thanks in advance for any/all help.

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    dell has the old drivers. if you can get model numbers/service tags from him then just get all the network drivers ahead of time.

support.dell.com -> Drivers and Downloads -> select model, Desktop -> Dimension series -> pick your model.

1-install network
    2-install slimdrivers

we use slimdrivers at the refurbishing center at work on all kinds of old dell/hp/compaq. its almost always found everything. free version is fine, you just have to click a bit more as it only does 1 driver package at a time.

Xantus on
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If the OS is still intact then use Driver Grabber to take them all now, as far as I'm aware it's Freeware.

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png