As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I want to start brewing loose leaf tea

KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I don't know really where to start though I've seen some youtube videos to start me out.

I mostly drink green tea and was interested in a Japanese style tea set. Is there any big differences between stoneware, cast iron, or porcelain tea sets? Also does anyone have any tips or good websites with information for beginners. I just really need a list of essentials to buy and hopefully the website with the cheapest online loose leaf tea products.

Thanks.

Khaczor on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cast iron is going to cost you a whole lot more than a decent ceramic set, so as a starter I'd suggest something like a Curve teapot, which comes with it's own infuser and a tight fitting lid to keep your tea warm.

I'm a huge fan of the Perennial Tea Room if only because it's local and I love walking in and sniffing different teas for hours, but their online presence is pretty good and they're very very helpful. I've also ordered from Adagio Teas iun the past and been very pleased. Teavana, though it's a chain and tends to have much less knowledgeable people working there because of that, does have some good selection and you may have one local to you.

Other things you'll need will be an electric tea kettle, preferably with a thermometer so you don't scorch your delicate green tea leaves, some honey for sweetening, and a thick mug. Whatever you do, don't buy a teaball, they're worse than useless for brewing good looseleaf tea and almost impossible to clean.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks a lot! There are a few tea places to walk in around here but some of it seem overpriced compared to stuff I could order online. The curve teapot looks perfect and I'll be ordering one.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Most organic/natural/alternative shops (not sure what the name is in english? Reform shop? ) have a large selection of loose tea leaves and blends.

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alton of course has done an episode on tea.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqBe9sWHsk

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I also highly recommend this kettle from Adagio:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/utiliTEA_kettle.html?SID=d175c503fa597dbf160aee8bae4fa734

It can brew at a lower temperature for optimal green tea taste :)

Adagio also do samplers which I highly recommend - you never know what you may like!

Apart from that and Teavana I also like http://www.redblossomtea.com/

Janson on
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/Rosseto-Japanese-Style-Teapot-Ounce/dp/B001RCTAVK/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1300563692&sr=1-11

That is the tea pot I got. It's small so I use it for 2 or 3 people when brewing tea. Altons suggests putting the leaves right into the pot but it's hard to reuse them since you have to drain the pot out, find a place for the leaves and re heat the pot. It's easier to use the metal basket that comes with it.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are you looking for a tea kettle or tea pot? Both? Or something that will function as both?

Honestly if you drink a lot of tea an electric tea kettle is worth getting, especially if it has adjustable temperatures for different teas. I use a stainless tea kettle and, while I have a ceramic tea pot, I never use it.

As far as materials go: Cast Iron will require more upkeep than a stainless or ceramic pot. Ceramic/stainless will be easy to clean. Cast Iron isn't as expensive as has been previously mentioned. Just like everything else, higher quality will cost more.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finally, a thread I can contribute to in here.

For steeping I just use a little glass pot with a plastic handle bolted on; I think it might've come from Target. There's a little mesh strainer that came with it. You don't need anything fancy--just make sure you get a strainer that's pretty fine. Some teas (even good ones) have some smaller particles mixed in and this will keep them from escaping. I find this to be especially important for japanese green tea.

I also have never had any complaints about using tea balls. I mostly use an actual pot now, but I could never tell the difference between tea brewed in a ball or otherwise. As long as you get one with a fine mesh and don't overfill it you'll be fine.

The one thing you'll have to do is get a handle on your water temperature and steeping times (time that shit), as this will have a huge impact on how it ends up tasting. You can nuke some water in a microwavable mug, drop in a teaball, and still make an excellent brew if you use the right temperature of water for the right duration.

As far as getting the actual tea goes, I've tried tea shops large and small. None of them come close to the quality, selection, or price that you can get online. Nowadays I order from The Upton Tea Company pretty much exclusively. They've got a bazillion different varieties at whatever price point you feel like and everything is much better than what I used to be able to get in stores. Their shipping is also really quick here (Denver) although I have no idea if it's true elsewhere.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When I was in the states, I usually ordered my tea from Stash
    or English Tea Store.

Loved ETS's blends and I have one that I use pretty much only for writing (Buckingham Palace Garden Party).

Now that I'm not in the states I'm going to need to find something different, but I'll get around to that.

I owned one of the Amsterdam ceramic pots from Stash and it never steered me wrong. Also, I had no problems with a tea ball, so long as it wasn't too full and you didn't oversteep it.

green tea water should be just under boiling and should steep ideally for 3 minutes. You can go longer if you like a stronger flavor, but then it gets bitter. Good quality tea leaves should be capable of at least 2-3 brews.

don't be afraid to experiment with other types of teas! Once you get the system down, it can be fun to try new things.

also, there should be tea filter bags for individual cups, just in case you don't want to make a full pot.

second also, Stash has for sale the new Bodum french Presses. I was skeptical of them at first, but after going out for sushi the other night and the sushi place was using the french press, I got a good look at it. It kept the tea warm, and did a good job of separating the leaves from the water so that it didn't overbrew.

I'm seriously looking into getting myself one. As soon as I find one...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My new tea love is

www.lupicia.com

These are seriously the best quality teas I've ever experienced in my life. I don't really buy tea from anyone else now. Before I ordered a lot from www.teavana.com.

Oh! And Lupicia has this great newsletter you can get to from the website and go through back issues... they have quite a few that talk about the proper way to do different types of tea. They also have this thing where if you spend 30 dollars you get the newsletter sent to your house and a tea of the month sample free for a year. It's seriously like heaven.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ohman.

they have an aussie site.

which means i might be able to get some from them.

and have it here to kiwiland.

I think I love you, rad. <3

edit:: oh.. no.. it doesn't look like it. :( i still heart you though....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When I was in the states, I usually ordered my tea from
    green tea water should be just under boiling and should steep ideally for 3 minutes. You can go longer if you like a stronger flavor, but then it gets bitter. Good quality tea leaves should be capable of at least 2-3 brews.

For chinese green tea yes, but most japanese green teas (which i'm assuming the OP is interested in since he mentioned a japanese tea set) are brewed at 75 or lower, if you brew a good quality sencha for example at over 75 you'll burn it and it'll taste terrible and Gyokuro should never be over 60 C

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ahh see I don't have too much experience with japanese green. Other than matcha, and everytime I've had matcha, it wasn't very good. or it could have been good, had the person serving it known what they were doing.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When making loose leaf tea I use a french press. It's basically the same process as using it to make coffee.

North on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I think that most different types of teas have different ideal steeping temperatures, and if you're interested in doing this right it really is worth knowing exactly what you're trying to brew and what its ideal steeping temperature is, because this isn't usually something I bother to do right away and I can tell you from experience that burnt tea tastes terrible.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    I think that most different types of teas have different ideal steeping temperatures, and if you're interested in doing this right it really is worth knowing exactly what you're trying to brew and what its ideal steeping temperature is, because this isn't usually something I bother to do right away and I can tell you from experience that burnt tea tastes terrible.

Very true. Steeping just right is important for getting good tasting tea. If you don't steep long enough the tea will be weak. If you steep too long it will release tannins and make the tea bitter. Too low of a temp and it won't steep properly and will taste off. Steep too hot and it burns. Look it up online or the tea might come with instructions. This is part of the reason cast iron is so popular. You can heat up the water and the cast iron pot so that it doesn't wick heat away and will retain the steeping temperature for better tasting tea.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I ordered some basic sencha and a few of the tea items I needed from the recommendations. They should be coming all by the end of the week so I'll give an update on how everything goes when it comes in.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Awesome! Perennial Tea carries a wonderfully grassy hanase sencha and some really great genmaicha (my summer favorite), but my go-to green tea is usually gunpowder

And once you figure out green tea, check out pu-erh

Usagi on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pu-erh is pretty great stuff.

The only fancy tea that I've bought was through Samovar, when Kevin Rose sponsored a discount starter sample set. One thing I really really like on that site is how much information they provide for each tea. Ingredients, flavor profile, "tea story" (history, traditional use, etc.), food pairing (very helpful), a video, and brewing instructions (some doesn't seem to have this on the site, but they seem to all ship with it). So, if nothing else, it seems like a good place to browse before finding the most cost effective place to purchase.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My wife used to buy me Tazao tea when we lived in Lancaster. We could get it a pretty good discount at Borders.

I love Good Eats.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love tea, and when I make it at home it's always loose leaf. I've used many different types of strainers, tea balls etc. But this one is my favorite.

http://www.enjoyingtea.com/spooninfuser45.html

Also I've read that putting your used tea leaves in your houseplants is good for them. I've done it quite a bit, and while I can't say if it's actually good for them, it hasn't killed any of them.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pu-erh is like heaven.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I need to get Pu-erh....

On the other hand, I'm going to make ecco take me to the tea shop near here (they have a book store too that sells only romance novels) and i'm going to pick up some loose lavender.

lemme tell you, you need to relax, take your infuser and do half chamomile and half lavender. But only for about 2 minutes, maximum with just under boiling water.

the scent alone is enough to send you to heaven, the taste is so subtle. A little sugar, or maybe some honey, and you're good to go.

The only thing with the lavender is that if you oversteep it, it starts to smell and taste like your grandmother's bathroom.

and that's never pleasant. or relaxing

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm a big fan of www.uptontea.com. They'll sell you any variety in a $1-2 sampler size that's good for 3-4 cups, which is fantastic when you're just getting started. I've used Adagio before, and found Upton's quality to be much higher.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oohhh

that enjoyingtea site will ship to me!

Lupicia won't. :( I tried all my tricks, and it's just not gonna happen for me...

but i can find more!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everyone should watch that video of Alton Brown's Good Eats about tea.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everyone should watch every video of Alton Brown.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I need to get Pu-erh....

On the other hand, I'm going to make ecco take me to the tea shop near here (they have a book store too that sells only romance novels) and i'm going to pick up some loose lavender.

lemme tell you, you need to relax, take your infuser and do half chamomile and half lavender. But only for about 2 minutes, maximum with just under boiling water.

the scent alone is enough to send you to heaven, the taste is so subtle. A little sugar, or maybe some honey, and you're good to go.

The only thing with the lavender is that if you oversteep it, it starts to smell and taste like your grandmother's bathroom.

I haven't tried chamomile with lavendar, but loose chamomile is like, the best stuff. I should probably order some new teas, my roommate started using my french press to make coffee (ick!) so I haven't used it in a while, and the best local tea place near me closed down :(

They had this awesome strawberry green tea, but their chai was way to cardamom-y for me so I've got a whole bunch of it sitting around that I don't really want. I normally keep my cast iron pot at work, but I may bring it and my electric kettle home so I can enjoy some hassle free tea this evening, and maybe put in an order somewhere.

As far as recommendations to the OP goes, I would recommend that if you wanna go somewhere and sniff around some teas Teavana is a pretty good option since they're all over the place. They aren't going to be the best quality tea you can get, and most of their pots/accessories are going to be overpriced, but as far as getting a good idea of what you might like I'd recommend them highly. My only experiences in the stores have been good, and the staff was fairly knowledgeable and very friendly.

Also, if you do stop in to the Teavana and see something you like, snag it and get some of their self fill tea bags. They're pretty reasonably priced (I think it's like, 5 bucks for 100) and they're really convenient if you just want to make one cup of tea without fiddling with to much stuff. Just fill the bag with whatever you want, fill a mug with appropriately hot water, let steep for a few minutes. No tea pot and mesh filter to clean out, just toss the bag when it's done.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, some good stuff here. Must ingest it for later use. I'm one of those troglodytic monsters who tosses a grocery store green tea (with ginseng and lemon, honest, the box sezso) bag into a thermos mug and smothers it with 20 ounces of boiling hot water in the morning before I get into the car for work. The 20 minute car ride turns the water inside the pressurized, roiling maelstrom of the thermos into a delicious, bitter brew that I drink religiously now that I've all but totally transitioned away from a decade of slamming diet cokes by the case.

My tea-drinking friends look at me like I'm a war criminal, but I'm learning. :P

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    You, sir, should be ashamed.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    George Orwell already explained how to do this properly...

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow, some good stuff here. Must ingest it for later use. I'm one of those troglodytic monsters who tosses a grocery store green tea (with ginseng and lemon, honest, the box sezso) bag into a thermos mug and smothers it with 20 ounces of boiling hot water in the morning before I get into the car for work. The 20 minute car ride turns the water inside the pressurized, roiling maelstrom of the thermos into a delicious, bitter brew that I drink religiously now that I've all but totally transitioned away from a decade of slamming diet cokes by the case.

My tea-drinking friends look at me like I'm a war criminal, but I'm learning. :P

I'm looking at you the same way I look at my Dad after he has finished shaving with his disposable shaver that he is using for the 9th time... never cleans and this is all compounded with his rough scratchy beard.

shudder

Khaczor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I need to get Pu-erh....

I haven't tried chamomile with lavendar, but loose chamomile is like, the best stuff. I should probably order some new teas, my roommate started using my french press to make coffee (ick!) so I haven't used it in a while, and the best local tea place near me closed down :(

They had this awesome strawberry green tea, but their chai was way to cardamom-y for me so I've got a whole bunch of it sitting around that I don't really want. I normally keep my cast iron pot at work, but I may bring it and my electric kettle home so I can enjoy some hassle free tea this evening, and maybe put in an order somewhere.

As far as recommendations to the OP goes, I would recommend that if you wanna go somewhere and sniff around some teas Teavana is a pretty good option since they're all over the place. They aren't going to be the best quality tea you can get, and most of their pots/accessories are going to be overpriced, but as far as getting a good idea of what you might like I'd recommend them highly. My only experiences in the stores have been good, and the staff was fairly knowledgeable and very friendly.

Also, if you do stop in to the Teavana and see something you like, snag it and get some of their self fill tea bags. They're pretty reasonably priced (I think it's like, 5 bucks for 100) and they're really convenient if you just want to make one cup of tea without fiddling with to much stuff. Just fill the bag with whatever you want, fill a mug with appropriately hot water, let steep for a few minutes. No tea pot and mesh filter to clean out, just toss the bag when it's done.

Ohman.

shame I'm not in the states anymore, or I'd buy that chai off you and ship it to me. I love cardamom. It tastes like fruity pebbles.

So, went through one of the asian grocery stores today and almost picked up some of the dried chrysanthemum flowers, but then realized I had no place to store it.

so instead, I got 2 drink boxes (like Hi-C) of Assam Milk tea (one black, one green), and a cold bottle of Damask Rose Tea.

Ecco took the black milk tea as payment for picking me up, but I finished the green tea and the rose tea and just WOW.

I love the rose tea. love love love love love!!!!

I had a Harney & Sons blend back home of their Valentine's tea. Chocolate tea, which yes sounds weird) and rosebuds. So good.

Also, around Valentines day, Republic of Tea has their Queen of Hearts tea which is a black tea with rose petals. Also very good. but RoT is kinda expensive.

lonelyahava on