Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Strange- Outlaws!

daniantdaniant Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Critical Failures
In the year 250, a powerful force rises against the mystical chains that binds it. In the ensuing revolution and change of government, magic and the powers that once enforced an arcane brotherhood is brought under the heel of martial and primal might. The earth itself heaves up and overthrows the Eladrin oppressor.

Now, in the year 302, fonts of arcane wisdom have dried up. The fey and the rituals associated with them are anathema. Only the clergy have access to rituals, and children born with fey blood are immediately killed to prevent contamination. Veiled arcane heretics wander in the wilderness, and are slain on sight by a group of primal enforcers known as the
nk’bara. Prince Almarak, the Dragonborn son of a long line of paladins who have ruled the country since the chaos of the revolution, is a religious extremist who controls the populace through brute force. This is Ydria, Land of the Emerald Crown.

However, a group of dissidents have risen up. Though some fear the stories of days long past when magic bound the people into servitude, others question whether they have exchanged one tyranny for another. Can magic be used to serve the people? And what of the rumors of fey refugees in other lands uniting to take Ydria back?

It is up to you, brave adventurers, to decide the fate of the nation…

9.jpg

Players
Aegof- Ladej Cai, Genasi Ranger | Swordmage
Lord Pallington- Tordain Silverpact, Dwarf Avenger
dresdenphile- Ilesombra Cylcrest, Human Paladin
Turanos- Mnemo, Shardmind Psion
Unsalted- Slip: Changeling Hexblade
Horsehoe- "King" Mars a.k.a. Gideon Grant a.k.a Stargrave a.k.a. ...Changeling Bardent

daniant on
«13456712

Posts

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    0318POTD288122.jpg

    It is the same dream, the same beautiful eyes calling you to the place of pain, the place in the black heart of desire or fear or despair. Green as jade or jealousy, her robes swirl around her in the wind under the dark mountains, and you follow her. She opens a stone door in the hills and you follow her down marble steps to a tomb. The name on the tomb is yours. She turns to you, and then slowly lowers her veil, whispering the word, “Colnanthra”.

    You wake up. The sweat on your brow is chilling now, as your eyes flash open in the darkness. You are in this county jail, waiting for the locals to decide what to do with you. You are not alone- there are a few of you in this cell, and a few in the cell across the hall. You came here on your travels, and the locals, not liking the looks of you, decided you were a threat. You are. You must escape. You feel compelled to know more about the nightmare that has been haunting you. You are searching, and you find yourself here.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "This is an unlawful detention, and I demand to be released immediately!"

    Tordain received no answer once more, not that he was expecting one. It had been the same since he had come to this place. The locals seemed wary of strangers, and in these dark times he understood. So when they had requested both his business and his weapon, he gave both willingly. What he had not expected was to be thrown in a cell with these ruffians. Him! An ordained brother of the Church of Civilization!

    Perhaps it was just as well he did not have his hammer, for these walls were certainly not of Dwarven make, and he would hate to do so low a thing as escape from a prison until it became necessary.

    He looked around at his bunkmates. "So, what's your stories?"

    sandman-sig.jpg
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ilesombra glances over at the direction of the dwarf. Great. Locked up with a disciple of Erathis. What, no Iounites in the area?. The paladin props herself up on the bed with one arm, cradling her face with her palm.

    "I was passing through this hovel to resupply when I was tossed in here. I assume we were all locked up for the same reason: daring to wear something not covered in filth or smelling like a wet ox," Ilesombra says loudly, in the direction of where the guards last were.

    steam_sig.png
  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User
    edited March 2011
    The human man on the cot seemed to be well at home. He lay with a relaxed pose - his arms behind his head and his legs slightly crossed. Prison cells were nothing new to him, he'd been in similar situations before.

    He opened one eye lazily as the dwarf began to below. A slight grin crosses his lips as he regards him.

    "'Tis nothing but a thing friend..." His words were thick with an accent from the south.

    "Traveling is hard 'dese days, hopefully you have the coins t' spare when the jailer comes a calling. If not..." He shrugs slightly emphasizing his point. "'Den it's not much of a thing to work out a deal, No?"

    The rakish man appears to relax even more at that. "If not, we will simply leave... Relax friend, I am not so sure the jailer will respond well to bellowing"

    With that he closes his eye again, the slight grin seems a permanent feature to his 5 o'clock shadow.

  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "I think it is obvious why I am here," Ladej Cai says, accent rough and thick with Primordial. "World-born are fools who have forgotten their origin. They have forgotten genasi." The corona of flame around his head flared slightly.

    I'm providing ambience.
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Used to being ignored, Mnemo assumes it is not included in the discussion and continues to meditate, pondering the visions of the green-clad woman. Its crystalline form is currently a neutral shade of greyish-blue, with the usual marble-like black swirls throughout. Curious despite itself, however, the psion does subtly observe its cellmates, surprised at their variety.

  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Elias pops an eye open again as the light changes from the genasi's head flaring.

    "Ahm rather fond of the smell of wet ox m'self, friend." He sits up and stretches, still grinning as he moves to a sitting position to regard the other individuals. He shrugs "To each 'is own then."

    "Wet ox would be preferable t' some of these streets, besides." He grins widely at Ilesombra.

    The sharp popping of his knuckles can be heard as he splays his hands in front of him awkwardly. A lower toned popping can be heard as he cracks his neck in turn.

    He finally stands up and crosses casually to the bars. He peers out to see if he can make out anyone coming, and looks particularly like he might be up to no good.

    He casually turns back to the group before nodding slightly. "Name's Elias, or Eli - 'f you prefer. Reckon we all just got on the wrong side of the local authorities on a bad day, 's all."

    He crosses his arms and leans against the bars, he careens his neck to try to get a better look at their locks and hinges.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Stories are what got you in here..."

    A bald human sat on the floor, legs crossed, fingers tracing bizarre letter-like patterns in the dust, eyes... seemingly fixed upon something outside the cell. Or possibly the building. His mind seemed to drift off for a moment as his fingers hovered over the dust.

    floordr.jpg
    Spoiler:

    "...and so stories are what will get you out of here. All is created in the story. Draped in myths as real as green... smells... while yesterday slept. It's... unfortunately damp in here."

    The statement... or whatever it was... was met with an initial silence.

    "The thinking stone knows what I mean. So... who has a good story?"

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Elias frowns for a moment at the bald man before his usual grin returns "A've got one about a goblin an' a shoe. Doesn't turn out too well for the shoe, 'f you ask me." He shrugs and looks off in the direction the human was staring a moment before before quirking an eyebrow.

    "A bit muggy, yes. 'could use some fresh air now that you mention it." His forehead creases as he regards the bars and looks a bit frustrated.

  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Worldly prisons are used also as madhouses, then? I see home is far from here."

    I'm providing ambience.
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Yes." mused the man for a moment, seemingly in answer to Ladej's question.

    "I suppose that picking a lock with a goblin wouldn't work out well for the shoe."

    Or... maybe not.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tordain looked about the room at his companions. A being of fire, one of stone, and two that at least looked almost normal, though that meant little enough these days.

    "The name's Tordain Silverpact, of the southern Silverpacts. If you have all been needlessly imprisoned on your way elsewhere as I have, then I will see you released shortly. The people here are easily frightened, but they will surely listen reason. After all, my brothers would not take well to one of their own locked up without reason."

    Tordain sat back to wait, taking a closer look at the man made of stone. It didn't look of dwarven make, but what else was capable of such a feat?

    sandman-sig.jpg
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Noticing the dwarf's attention, Mnemo becomes even more still. The soft internal light bouncing within its crystalline facets dims and it floats a soft mental suggestion towards Tordain, the construct cannot possibly be that interesting. If it was anything worth paying attention to, would it be locked up in a county jail?

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Are you so certain we are imprisoned? I'm quite sure I haven't always been here. If I notice someone on the other side of the bars, perhaps I should ask them... just in case."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Reason. When your family is told you carry fairy dust, how much reason will they have?" Ladej eyed the crystalline elemental--of course that's what it was, but what was it doing here?--but said nothing to or about it. Tame elementals were usually not worth caring about.

    I'm providing ambience.
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Oh, I concur! Reason is highly overrated. As you said, it's best to carry as little as possible."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ilesombra rolls her eyes and tries to formulate a plan of escape while these fools prattle on about nothing. She takes a quick scan of the room to see if she can find a means to bash a guard or slip out of the cell unnoticed.
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoiler:

    Above is your map. Ladej has no pic; Mnemo's pic is not working, so if you don't want to be red dots forever, send me a pic. Thick black lines are walls, brown lines are doors, thick grey lines are barred cell walls. There is also a cell door in the middle between the two cells which is a darker grey. All I can say is, poor country planning. :P

    Elias:
    Spoiler:

    Ilesombra:
    Spoiler:

    I will be back briefly with guard responses to the weirdness.

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ilesombra hops up from her bunk and makes her way over to the bars of the cell.

    "Oh, guards, guards! I'm feeling very faint; could one of you big strong handsome fellows bring me some water? I feel like I might just fade away. If it gets any hotter in here, I might have to strip down to nothing at all!"

    She tried to sound as seductive as possible, given her current predicament and the loonies she was stuck with.
    Spoiler:

    The paladin throws a meaningful look at the other captives while she does this.

    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    King Mars:
    Spoiler:

    One of the guards (the one nearest the door) perks up. "Hey, Tommy," he says. "It's a damsel in distress!" He snickers for a bit, and then shouts, "Hold yer knickers there gal, ye'll be fine fer a bit."

    He glances over at the companion sitting facing him. "Hey Tommy, what say we wait a bit an then see if she faints. She looks pretty strong. No use wrassling around with her too much. I like em sedate if ye know what I mean." He licks his chops in anticipation.

    Tommy (at O9/10) seems pretty bored with this conversation. "Ya, ya Vic. The usual story." He goes back to filing his fingernails.

    The final guard gets up and looks at the prisoners. "You all are a bunch of weirdos. When the nk'bara get here, they'll see to you good. He looks over at Vic. "But before they get there, I'm down for seconds once the little lady passes out."

    Vic nods approval. "Let's hope it's soon."

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Finally. Damsel in Distress... now that's a good story."

    The human stood, and calmly walked (a bit wobbly... part of his personal effects unfortunately had to be eaten when he was captured) to the dwarf... who looked to be plenty sturdy and sober. He leaned over and tried to act casual.

    "Ah, good Rogaine my dear morning, sir. I --"

    "It's Tordain. And it's evening."

    " -- which is possibly what I meant. I think you'll find that door over there more interesting than the rock. The door and the rock are similar though... the rock is not a rock... and the door isn't a door. The function, you know. I'm sure you'd find it fascinating."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "I might help," Ladej says, looking at the woman, "were I manifesting wind. I am not." He shrugged. "So I can not."

    Can I Arcana to turn up the heat a bit?
    Arcana: 1d20+9 29
    Man, I hope so, or that's a waste of a natural 20.

    I'm providing ambience.
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Damsels always have big lizards breathing fire around them! You're not the damsel, or the lizard, so by process of elimination... you are the breath. Be ready for a sudden exhalation."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ladej:
    Spoiler:

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tordain took what he thought the hint might be and examined the door between the two cells.
    Spoiler:

    sandman-sig.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Let's get a nice ambient heat going. "Hot" by the standards of a guy who's comfortable living in a house literally made of fire. You could cook on the ground, here. Bring a Dark Sun character into the building and they're gonna go "damn it's hot."

    I'm providing ambience.
  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Can we see which one has the keys? Do we know?

    Elias nods ever so slightly to Ilesombra before bellowing at the guards.
    "Quick man! Something is happening. dont you feel that heat?! Get us out of here!"

    Can someone roll me a bluff check? Im behind the work filters ATM. Also I am ready to conjure my sword and port one in here if it comes to it.

  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here:
    Bluff: 1d20+10 25

    I'm providing ambience.
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tordain:
    Spoiler:


    "God, it is hot!" shouts Vic. "Harry, get the captain! I think that weirdo fire guy is setting his bunk on fire!"

    The third guard runs into the adjoining room.

    There is a second or two before they come back. Do you want to do anything else?

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "That's right, Harry! I am the lizard king!"

    The man started counting on his fingers and talking. It was difficult to discern the audience.

    "The cast so far... Damsel: Check. Fiery Breath: Check. Lizard King... Check. So far, so good."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Aye, get your captain before it's too late, boys! I'm in no mood to be cooked this evening." Tordain looked at the gathered group, trying to discern which one might be able to leverage sufficient muscle against the middle door.

    More quietly, to his fellow prisoners, "This door here is poorly made, a solid strike in the right spot would bring it down. These aren't prison guards, these are common bounty hunters and thugs dressed in false finery. You can count on my hammer."

    sandman-sig.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Ah. Not a door. A shield. Lizard Kings laugh at shields. No match for a good Breath."

    The bald man looked at the door, back at Ladej, nodded in the door's direction, and then proceeded to exhale loudly toward it.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ladej stood from his bunk, and moved to face the cell door, back against the wall. He would be happy to greet the captain. But not in the cell.

    "Perhaps the idiot is not so much," the genasi muttered, studying the door quickly before throwing himself against it.

    Perception: 1d20+6 18 to spot weaknesses in the door.
    Athletics: 1d20+9 26 to take it down.

    I'm providing ambience.
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh my God Horse just made me snort with laughter. He wins.

    Also, yeah, that door there in the front of the front cell. It was totally there all the time.

    Or...I made the map really fast during my lunch break? Yeah, that's it.


    Harry and a Dragonborn cop in a nice chainmail uniform with the city colors emblazoned on the front roll up to the door in the front cell and the commander proceeds to shout at Ladej as he smashes against it:

    "Stop that you foul arcane spawn! Don't you have the sense to know that you will destroy yourself?"

    As Ladej flies back from the door, he sees that he has bent one of the hinges.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Don't talk to my breath like that, you Troglodytes! This is clearly Harry's fault. This place is a tinderbox, and then you have him sitting over there with all the fire kits like he was some sort of Flint Baron! it was only a matter of time!"
    Spoiler:

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Is the door between the cells shut?

    Edit: Sorry misread!

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unsalted wrote: »
    Is the door between the cells shut?

    Yes, both doors are shut and locked.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He'd been in enough fights to see this one coming, and he could only hope it was brutal and short. While the other guards were certainly a threat, Tordain kept his eyes on the Dragonborn as he began his prayers.

    "Cornerstone of Civilization, see fit to deliver your servant from these corrupters of the people's faith..."

    Initiative: 1d20+1 7

    Without his hammer, he felt naked in this fight. He could not stride in with his usual confidence and instead hesitated...

    sandman-sig.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Lizard King needed to rally his troops... so far two of them knew who they were, but three of them were still concepts that hadn't hit the page. He would have to improvise.

    "Tordain; you are a hammer!

    "Elias; you are a door! And..."

    The Stone. Hm. It was already doing quite a good job of being a stone. But just in case:

    "The Stone... you are awake!"
    Spoiler:

    He reached for his sword only to realize it was no longer on his person. No matter! He would instead utilize his formidable arsenal of unarmed fighting skills. After he had developed them, of course. He considered that it might take him a moment or two to for him to do so.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ladej Cai barked a laugh as he climbed back to his feet. "I have climbed Solkara's glacier. I have basked in Mual-Tar's fury. I have lived in the City of Brass. And you think a door is a threat to me? You will learn otherwise as that world-forged mail of yours melts through your skin." He charges the door again.


    Athletics: 1d20+9 24
    Initiative: 1d20+0 12

    I'm providing ambience.
«13456712
Sign In or Register to comment.