As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Fitness Group! [Meetup Friday 4/6 1PM outside the Wyvern Theater]

1121314151618»

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    vttym wrote: »
    I tried to keep my hat the same as the avatar, but yeah, Bacon's helmet was a beacon for me :)

Was nice to meet those of you who were at the meetup -- now the quest begins to keep it going to 2013!

I want to lose even more this year than last year! I aim to be able to buy XL shirts or smaller during PAX East 2013, this year I bought 2X and I'm so close to wearing them in a non-embarrassing way!

I bought the PAX Easter shirt in XL and it fit. I don't know if that shirt ran larger than the others. Maybe I never needed 2X with PA shirts in the first place? I dunno.

It is going to suck showing up skinny next year when you guys never got to see me as a fatty! Ha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    @redfield85 - this was me at the crawl .... this was me for the rest of the weekend

We were a good team :D - Team GREEN SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILver

Overall, I ended up down 0.2lbs over PAX weekend - and I think it was all the walking/crawling/having too much fun to stop for food :P

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    I tried to keep my hat the same as the avatar, but yeah, Bacon's helmet was a beacon for me :)

Was nice to meet those of you who were at the meetup -- now the quest begins to keep it going to 2013!

I want to lose even more this year than last year! I aim to be able to buy XL shirts or smaller during PAX East 2013, this year I bought 2X and I'm so close to wearing them in a non-embarrassing way!
    ishtra wrote: »
    @redfield85 - this was me at the crawl .... this was me for the rest of the weekend

We were a good team :D - Team GREEN SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILver

Overall, I ended up down 0.2lbs over PAX weekend - and I think it was all the walking/crawling/having too much fun to stop for food :P

Lucky! I'm scared to get on the scale this Sunday...

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    @Chorazin - I look forward to watching your progress :)

Lost 2 pounds of the PAX weekend.. guess I didn't eat enough.. will probably see that bounce back up a bit as I get back to normal this week.

• Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    AqIZIoDCEAALZwl.jpg:large

You guys, PAX was so awesome. It was really great putting faces to names I've seen here.

So now comes the question of what to do next. Obviously there will be an East 2013 meetup (hopefully more planning on my part), possibly Prime 2012 as well. I'd love to see some serious stat tracking going on, and I think my initial idea for medium-term (6 months to a year) logging and comparison still has somewhere it can be put. Comments? Suggestions? How do we make this more awesome next time?

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    That is an impressive collection of posing, jazz-hands, and general confusion. I think it suits this group perfect :)

• Options
    So sad I missed that. I had to of been like 2 minutes late. Damn it.

I think an awesome idea would be to have a fitness group healthy dinner on Friday or Saturday night. Thursday is PPD and Pokecrawl. Friday and Saturday evening are seemingly an ideal time (unless we do a lunch).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Direwolf, I just realized I completely forgot to tell you. There is no way I would peg you at 300 pounds, you are a big guy, but you wear it incredibly well. I would have guessed around 270 or so. So big motherfuckin' ups to you.

I cannot wait to see everyone again next year. (Also, in the group shot were those the people who make Fitocracy as well?)

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    I cannot wait to see everyone again next year. (Also, in the group shot were those the people who make Fitocracy as well?)

The two guys in the Fitocracy shirts, yes. The guy on the right is Brian Wang, the guy in the middle left is Dick Talens.

• Options
    I'd love to do a dinner or something next year. Depending on interest, I was kicking around a 5K for Child's Play idea for one of the mornings. Started thinking about it too late to get it set for 2012 ... maybe 2013.

• Options
    TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    I was kicking around a 5K for Child's Play idea for one of the mornings.

Awesome idea! I'd definitely get in on that. Early enough to not conflict with any PA panels?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeaaah was debating when would work - Friday morning is tricky b/c of anyone going out late for the Pokecrawl, but still probably doable. @PayneTrayne suggested maybe even running Around the BCEC, so that would be pretty cool.
    The main issue would be avoiding running people down when lining up to get into the con. So early morning (8AM) might work, versus later in the day between when the Expo closes and the parties start up.

So, I need to drum up interest and speak with Child's Play to get some help with arrangements. Need to also see what companies I could get to help with timing chips/bibs, refreshments, and T-shirts. If I could get more swag, then great. We'll see if it could work. If anyone local to Boston knows anyone for races - I'd totally make some calls. Local to Long Island though - so limited on that one :P

ishtra on
  • Options
    I don't think we'd really need timing chips as it's more of a fun run. Bibs would be pretty awesome as well as just random people with water bottles. I imagine it wouldn't take most of us longer than an hour to run it.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    That's my thought as well. though not sure if there would be a safe way to run outside with people driving/parking and such. Though better option would be if we can run inside the building on like the 3rd floor once everything is closed down... wonder if they let that happen ever.

And true - I might be over thinking the tracking. We could have a few people at water stations just Telling people the times for their own information.

Would love to have some fun with the bibs :P

ishtra on
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hi guys! Sorry I never checked in with my final weigh-in. I got to Boston on Tuesday morning and was scaleless for the rest of the week. Then I came down with PAX POX on Friday and missed the panel and the meet up. A few thoughts -

Ishtra, congrats on hitting your goal! Your cosplay is amazing!
    Redfield - I will totally help you w/ your 'make me a weight watchers spokesperson' campaign! You're doing awesome!
    vttym - congrats to you too, on hitting your goal. and THANK YOU for keeping us all going when posting was getting sparse a few weeks ago!
    bacon - thank you for organizing and galvanizing us all!
    to the weight loss and fitocracy winners - nice job!

As for my final weigh in, I didn't eat anything hardly during PAX because of my POX so I am down to 190, making my total for the 9 weeks pre-pax 7 pounds. I am really happy with that. Weight loss takes time and patience, so every little bit helps!!

I'd love to participate again next year, but I feel like we should have check ins at a few points throughout the year, because a year is a long time for people to keep motivated. I'd say at least every 12 weeks or so (3 mos). Maybe there are certain game releases coming that could be our milestones? I dunno, just a thought.

Also, I did not end up using fitocracy much, I'll admit. I used my fitbit tons, but with fitocracy I felt like my activity level (while good for me) was nowhere near as high as the leaders, so I didn't bother logging the stuff I DID do. Which was dumb. Maybe we can do a two-tiered system next time for people just starting out versus experienced gym rats?

I'm not a runner and so wouldn't run around the BCEC. But I would be happy to hand out water and shout general encouragement to those of you who did participate!

These are just some thoughts, but definitely count me in for next time! Maybe on a nice new clean thread?

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'd be down for a whole new PAX East 2013 thread, get a fresh start on the new year! Even if we have a few less weeks to lose the pounds before the next con. :-P

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think a run next year would be great. Problem would be, as mentioned, there's a lot of parties to be had (which is why it's always tough for me to hit dinner meetups too). Still, can certainly do a morning run next year - fwiw, the run from BCEC to Atlantic down Summer St. is .9 miles, from summer to Seaport is .2, seaport down to the world trade is another .9, and run across the skybridge is .2.. so 2.2 miles just for a basic circle around, with no crossing of main street (just a few side streets).

Beth - Thanks for the kind words! Sorry we missed you, but the PAX Plague is a tough one to beat. I agree Fitocracy can be a little daunting when you see what some folks are doing as far as points go. I just took the mentality that I wasn't there to compete, just to track my exercises and pick up points where I could. I agree that maybe having challenges in which there are daily point limits would help keep things competitive for everyone.

Looking forward to keeping on point with my overall goal for the rest of 2012 - hope to continue to have the great support of everyone here as we all move towards our own goals.

vttym on
  • Options
    Apparently I lost 2.6 lbs at PAX. How the hell does that work?! Hahaha.

Sprained ankle this week. Hopefully I am good to go next week for hockey playoffs. That is basically my only exercise. I wouldn't be surprised if I gain or stay the same next week. No hockey yesterday (hurt and can't play), no hockey tomorrow(ditto), and no hockey on Monday (won the championship this past Monday, as well as an asshole spraining my ankle). So, it will be a whole week with only one game of hockey (if I am healed up by Tuesday).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I'd be up for a now-until-2013 check-in schedule. I'm trying to keep fit for my wedding sooooo any additional motivation would be nice :)

Beth - thanks :D I was stoked. Volunteers for water booth help is awesome.
    vttym - yeah, my hope was to avoid any major road-crossing b/c I don't necessarily want to have to network with the PD for closures on a fun-run, so that might be an option. Esp if people aren't zealous about timing (due to pausing for traffic) - that could work.

• Options
    Come Tuesday afternoon, I will be done school for the year and back in the gym. Until then.....coffee and essays. D:

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    How long was the meetup?

I missed it too. I stuck around to talk to one of the panelists and by the time I got out there I think everyone was gone. Next year we need a sign or something to hold up.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Whew! After a week back on Weight Watchers after my PAX week binging, only up two pounds. I can totally live with that!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    @Chorazin - that's pretty decent :)

I'm doing the creep-up since I'm not walking around the equivalent of the BCEC all week. Gotta get it back :D

• Options
    @Chorazin - that's pretty decent :)

I'm doing the creep-up since I'm not walking around the equivalent of the BCEC all week. Gotta get it back :D

Yeah, I'm certainly not complaining! I was expecting far worse. Hopefully my weight loss this week will be decent, get me closer to pre-PAX levels!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Ankle brace get! Now to not sprain it worse tomorrow playing floor hockey. I sprained it exactly a week ago.

I had to skip an important game last week (which my team won thankfully). This week is the finals (and possibly last game ever at this place since the county bought the gym and might not keep the rink).

Tomorrow's game will probably be the only exercise I get this week (unless I go to ice hockey practice on Saturday night).

For a weekend where I went to Buffalo Wild Wings and the Flyers game yesterday, I don't think I did bad food wise.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I received my yellow belt today. Come at me, world!

• Options
    I got my replacement fitbit yesterday (since I lost it at PAX :() and I am so glad to be tracking my steps and stuff again. I really think my activity level dropped off when I wasn't as actively aware of it all the time. Plus the PAX group on fitbit is actually getting quite large now and so it gives me that competitive motivation to top the list! (I guess that's why everyone loves fitocracy so much too!)

Payne - congrats on your belt! I will refrain, however, from coming at you, because I like my ribs unbroken.

vttym - thanks for kind words, next year I will definitely be at the meet up, plague or no plague!

redield - hope your ankle is feeling better!

chorazin - up 2 pounds after PAX week is totally acceptable. it is definitely hard to eat well there!

Hey, btw, so are we in consensus on a new thread? Or are we trying to decide some kind of regular check in schedule for the new thread before we start it??

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    @browncoatbeth I'm thinking of getting a Fitbit next week, is it as awesome as it seems?

I think we need a new thread soonish, or at least have this thread title changed to 2013.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    @browncoatbeth I'm thinking of getting a Fitbit next week, is it as awesome as it seems?

I think we need a new thread soonish, or at least have this thread title changed to 2013.

My husband just got a fitbit and really likes it. He was walking around the house trying to get the little flower to grow on the first day.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Yeah carrying over is probably a poor choice. Make a new thread if you want to carry this to 2013.

• Options
    redield - hope your ankle is feeling better!

Thanks. It is doing significantly better. I played a floor hockey game on Tuesday and I was able to run for the most part. Tomorrow I try my healing sprain with ice skates. And then a scrimmage on Saturday night. No rest for this ankle I tells ya!

So, I had one day of hockey (compared to the 3 I am used to) and I only lost .4 lbs. This was expected since I was resting my ankle most of this past week. That I lost anything is good for not having done much. Down to 227.8. Slowly but surely....

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah carrying over is probably a poor choice. Make a new thread if you want to carry this to 2013.
    Yes, please. Some of us who are n00bs to this thread would probably appreciate a clean break and a new start (without 18 pages of reading).

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    Khadour wrote: »
    Yes, please. Some of us who are n00bs to this thread would probably appreciate a clean break and a new start (without 18 pages of reading).

I'll happily post in a new thread, who's gonna make and maintain it?

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options

I haven't set down and made it, but I'll go ahead and placeholder it so this one can safely sink into obscurity.

• Options
    edited April 2012

My husband just got a fitbit and really likes it. He was walking around the house trying to get the little flower to grow on the first day.

@Chorazin It is SUPER DUPER awesome.

I love that it not only counts steps, but also how many flights of stairs. Since getting it, I now go to the bathroom on the 3rd floor of my building (I work on the 1st) every time, just to see how many flights of stairs I can get. And over the time I've had it (about 5 months) I've gone from an average of 5000 steps a day to over 7000.

Plus the monitoring your sleep thing? It helped me to notice that on days when I drink coffee, even in the morning, I wake up about twice as often at night! So I have cut my coffee drinking way down and now have more energy during the day.

And of course competing with other PAXers like skimblecat, peetsnack, and nakki for most steps, most activity points, etc is super fun.

To me? Totally worth the $99 bucks. Actually, it's totally worth $198 bucks apparently (since I did not hesistate to replace it when I lost mine!)

browncoatbeth on

• Options
    edited April 2012

I haven't set down and made it, but I'll go ahead and placeholder it so this one can safely sink into obscurity.

thanks, dude! :)

browncoatbeth on