Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[From Dust] droppin' lava like it's hot. out now on 360 and PC.

123457

Posts

  • ArthilArthil Henchman 21 Registered User regular
    eobet wrote:
    Pasted from my post in the Steam thread:

    Okie... so I bought From Dust and immediately regretted it:

    The first thing that happens when you launch is some sort of "patching" progress that takes about a minute... problem is, it's not a Steam patching progress, but some sort of 3rd party implementation from Ubisoft. In other words, background downloading of patches in Steam wasn't good enough for Ubisoft apparently. They want the customer to explicitly have to wait when they launch an Ubisoft game. Great service! Oh, and there is almost zero information as to what is going on during this.

    The second thing that happens is that you have to login. But you're already logged into Steam you say? No, that's not good enough either, you need to log in to Ubisofts Uplay as well. And after that you're presented with a "news" screen. Again, Steam already has this, but that's not good enough for Ubisoft (they want to present their Twitter feed to you).

    I don't understand why Ubisoft feels like they need to push their branding on us customers regardless of what platform we chose to buy it on (choosing to buy THEIR games isn't enough, apparently). No, they want to offer an extra "service", pretty much like the bloatware you find on some newly purchased laptops and mobile phones. Well, fuck you Ubisoft, I already consider Steam a hurdle to get to my games, and I'm not going to jump through two hoops just to have a little fun time.

    If this is where PC gaming is heading, I'm sticking to indie.

    Honestly? I'd suck it up and give the game a proper go. I lost track of time completely playing this.

    Youtube PSN: Honishimo GW2: Akeche.4867 Steam FitocracyCwcuLUM.jpg
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Even if I do find the game compelling once I get around to creating a UPlay account, I still feel guilty for rewarding effort on this level.

    steam_sig.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I stayed up late and finished the story plus all the challenge maps on the PC. The snake isn't the best thing ever, but I didn't have any precision problems, and I didn't mind Uplay at all because I already had an account because of Assassin's Creed 2.

    The only thing they need to add is an automatic way to make the earth/lava you're dropping walkable. Other than that it was a blast.

    Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • HardtargetHardtarget Registered User regular
    *eyeroll*

    So I bought From Dust and think it's great. since I play lots of games, and ubisoft makes lots of good ones!, I already have a uplay account, i was even alraedy signed into it! Uplay launched, updated itself, then relaunched, updated the game, then relaunched, asked for my cd key since it auto signed me in, and then i hit play. The whole process took maybe 2 - 4 minutes and will never happen again. Game is quite fun btw but it's a bit of a shoddy PC port, locked at 30 fps, no advanced graphics controls, etc. But i like it so far.

    Now for the uplay stuff, every. single. online. retailer. has been advertising the fact in big bold capital letters that From Dust used the Ubi DRM scheme. This is not news o ra shock to anyone, if you bought the game and you didn't realize this then you didn't read the description of the game. It was said that it used Ubi DRM on D2D, Steam, GetGamesGo, GreenManGaming, and others (i hunted around for the best deal earlier so I saw it in multiple places).

    camo_sig2.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:
    *eyeroll*

    So I bought From Dust and think it's great. since I play lots of games, and ubisoft makes lots of good ones!, I already have a uplay account, i was even alraedy signed into it! Uplay launched, updated itself, then relaunched, updated the game, then relaunched, asked for my cd key since it auto signed me in, and then i hit play. The whole process took maybe 2 - 4 minutes and will never happen again. Game is quite fun btw but it's a bit of a shoddy PC port, locked at 30 fps, no advanced graphics controls, etc. But i like it so far.

    Now for the uplay stuff, every. single. online. retailer. has been advertising the fact in big bold capital letters that From Dust used the Ubi DRM scheme. This is not news o ra shock to anyone, if you bought the game and you didn't realize this then you didn't read the description of the game. It was said that it used Ubi DRM on D2D, Steam, GetGamesGo, GreenManGaming, and others (i hunted around for the best deal earlier so I saw it in multiple places).

    The problem being, ubi tried to pass it off as if it didn't require an internet connection to play the game. There was the whole "This game will not require you to always be connected to the interent to play it" comment they made when it was first announced that it did.

    hobbessig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    eobet wrote:
    Pasted from my post in the Steam thread:

    Okie... so I bought From Dust and immediately regretted it:

    The first thing that happens when you launch is some sort of "patching" progress that takes about a minute... problem is, it's not a Steam patching progress, but some sort of 3rd party implementation from Ubisoft. In other words, background downloading of patches in Steam wasn't good enough for Ubisoft apparently. They want the customer to explicitly have to wait when they launch an Ubisoft game. Great service! Oh, and there is almost zero information as to what is going on during this.

    The second thing that happens is that you have to login. But you're already logged into Steam you say? No, that's not good enough either, you need to log in to Ubisofts Uplay as well. And after that you're presented with a "news" screen. Again, Steam already has this, but that's not good enough for Ubisoft (they want to present their Twitter feed to you).

    I don't understand why Ubisoft feels like they need to push their branding on us customers regardless of what platform we chose to buy it on (choosing to buy THEIR games isn't enough, apparently). No, they want to offer an extra "service", pretty much like the bloatware you find on some newly purchased laptops and mobile phones. Well, fuck you Ubisoft, I already consider Steam a hurdle to get to my games, and I'm not going to jump through two hoops just to have a little fun time.

    If this is where PC gaming is heading, I'm sticking to indie.

    Honestly? I'd suck it up and give the game a proper go. I lost track of time completely playing this.

    Eobet hates things like steam and uplay too much. Better let him be.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Does this run like shit on anyone else's PC? It seems like an amazing little game, but very hard to get into since by all accounts, it strikes me as a shitty port and it runs like a dog on my machine. What really sucks is there are zero options to go in and try to tweak it to run better, which is some serious bullshit in this day and age.

    I'm unhappy about the UBI drm, I knew the game shipped with it, but they pretty clearly lied about having to have an internet connection to play it.

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    A virtual joystick?

    Aw hell naw.

    I'll just console myself with fond memories of playing in sand boxes.

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    so im never buying another ubisoft pc game again

    All their main in-house games are working really well. From dust is the first one to be this broken in a long time.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    You and me both, Basil.

    Saints Row 2's PC port is unimpressive, but this sounds just plain awful.

    evilthecat wrote: »
    "Bioware I want to suck on your teets of gamingness".

    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Does this run like shit on anyone else's PC? It seems like an amazing little game, but very hard to get into since by all accounts, it strikes me as a shitty port and it runs like a dog on my machine. What really sucks is there are zero options to go in and try to tweak it to run better, which is some serious bullshit in this day and age.

    I'm unhappy about the UBI drm, I knew the game shipped with it, but they pretty clearly lied about having to have an internet connection to play it.

    Yes, the screen tearing is eye-gougingly bad. I've got AA forced through the ATI control panel, but I really wish there were actual graphics options. The fact that it is locked at 30fps is also pretty inexcusable. Also, my game has never synced with that abomination that is Uplay. Every time I start or stop the game it says "syncing", and every time it fails.

    Despite all that, the core gameplay is really fun. Played the entire way through to the last level yesterday, can't wait to jump back into it tonight. I really kinda wish they had fleshed out the game more, as I could definitely see this being a much larger game. More disasters, more powers / element, maybe even some sort of village progression upgrade / RPG elements thrown in. The core sandbox idea is really sound, and even as just a quick proof of concept I think the game works great.

    It's a real shame they bungled the handling of the PC port so badly.

    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    The core sandbox idea is really sound, and even as just a quick proof of concept I think the game works great.

    Its lot like Portal in that way. We can only hope From Dust 2 is as good as Portal 2.

    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    You gooses having issues with the controls need to do this:

    Hit ESC
    Go to options
    Go to control options (imagine that!)
    Uncheck Mouse Scroll
    Hit Apply
    Hit Yes
    Hit Back
    Profit

    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I didn't notice that option at all earlier. I did notice that it updated the second time I started up the game, so did that add it?

    3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Gihgehls wrote:
    You gooses having issues with the controls need to do this:

    Hit ESC
    Go to options
    Go to control options (imagine that!)
    Uncheck Mouse Scroll
    Hit Apply
    Hit Yes
    Hit Back
    Profit
    Yes, that is certainly better, but the scrolling towards the edge is more of a standard RTS-style convention, it's too bad they screwed it up so badly (the "edge" is nearly at the half-way point from center to the actual edge of the screen).

    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINE Registered User regular
    From Dust is such an awesome game none of those problems really phase me. I haven't seen a destroyer so far, do they appear in the campaign?

    LordAsmodeus.gifLord_Asmodeus.gif
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    That's what sucks, I just sat around the first map making palm trees because it's so enjoyable moving earth around, but I kept crashing into the brick wall that is the horrible pc port. Regrettable.

  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    More PC hate

    http://www.platformnation.com/2011/08/17/pc-port-of-from-dust-is-a-technical-mess/

    This all seems nutty as everyone who talked about the console version always added in that they would rather play it on the PC with a mouse because the gamepad controls were cumbersome. But now that it's out on PC everyone says it stinks there too.

    Sadness.

    nagatosig1.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    More PC hate

    http://www.platformnation.com/2011/08/17/pc-port-of-from-dust-is-a-technical-mess/

    This all seems nutty as everyone who talked about the console version always added in that they would rather play it on the PC with a mouse because the gamepad controls were cumbersome. But now that it's out on PC everyone says it stinks there too.

    Sadness.
    It's probably still better with the mouse. It's just not as better as it should be ;-)

    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    The DRM is annoying but tolerable. The quality of the port is not worth it.

    The game chugs a lot on my PC despite meeting the requirements and then some. But hey, no problem. We can just turn down some detai- oh wait no, graphics options are almost non-existent. Well, fuck.

    Controls are just...not right. Moving the cursor also moves the camera, which is not smooth and very distracting. The cursor is also very weird. It may be great for a console game, but it's not necessary in a PC game.

    I'd hold out for a patch or something, because I'm regretting the 15 I spent on this.

    GOr07uA.gif
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The DRM is annoying but tolerable. The quality of the port is not worth it.

    The game chugs a lot on my PC despite meeting the requirements and then some. But hey, no problem. We can just turn down some detai- oh wait no, graphics options are almost non-existent. Well, fuck.

    Controls are just...not right. Moving the cursor also moves the camera, which is not smooth and very distracting. The cursor is also very weird. It may be great for a console game, but it's not necessary in a PC game.

    I'd hold out for a patch or something, because I'm regretting the 15 I spent on this.

    As Gihgehls mentioned, you can turn that off. It's annoying, but a better alternative than having the camera moving on you all the time.

    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Oh, that's cool, but it doesn't solve the terrible framerate issues.

    GOr07uA.gif
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hardtarget wrote:
    *eyeroll*

    So I bought From Dust and think it's great. since I play lots of games, and ubisoft makes lots of good ones!, I already have a uplay account, i was even alraedy signed into it! Uplay launched, updated itself, then relaunched, updated the game, then relaunched, asked for my cd key since it auto signed me in, and then i hit play. The whole process took maybe 2 - 4 minutes and will never happen again. Game is quite fun btw but it's a bit of a shoddy PC port, locked at 30 fps, no advanced graphics controls, etc. But i like it so far.

    Now for the uplay stuff, every. single. online. retailer. has been advertising the fact in big bold capital letters that From Dust used the Ubi DRM scheme. This is not news o ra shock to anyone, if you bought the game and you didn't realize this then you didn't read the description of the game. It was said that it used Ubi DRM on D2D, Steam, GetGamesGo, GreenManGaming, and others (i hunted around for the best deal earlier so I saw it in multiple places).

    Uplay is pretty fucking stupid though. In every single way. Not just because of the DRM.

    Why in god's name do we need a SECOND system of achievements? Can't they just use the Steam/XBLA/PSN systems in place? They have to throw their shitty overlay on top of it.

    Look, I won't not buy a game because it uses Uplay, but I absolutely hate Uplay in every way. The DRM is actually the least reason for me to hate it. I think it's an awful, awful, awful thing and all criticism of it is well deserved.

    Drez on
    steam_sig.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    *eyeroll*

    So I bought From Dust and think it's great. since I play lots of games, and ubisoft makes lots of good ones!, I already have a uplay account, i was even alraedy signed into it! Uplay launched, updated itself, then relaunched, updated the game, then relaunched, asked for my cd key since it auto signed me in, and then i hit play. The whole process took maybe 2 - 4 minutes and will never happen again. Game is quite fun btw but it's a bit of a shoddy PC port, locked at 30 fps, no advanced graphics controls, etc. But i like it so far.

    Now for the uplay stuff, every. single. online. retailer. has been advertising the fact in big bold capital letters that From Dust used the Ubi DRM scheme. This is not news o ra shock to anyone, if you bought the game and you didn't realize this then you didn't read the description of the game. It was said that it used Ubi DRM on D2D, Steam, GetGamesGo, GreenManGaming, and others (i hunted around for the best deal earlier so I saw it in multiple places).

    The problem being, ubi tried to pass it off as if it didn't require an internet connection to play the game. There was the whole "This game will not require you to always be connected to the interent to play it" comment they made when it was first announced that it did.
    good thing I've been connected to the internet for the past decade i guess

    camo_sig2.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    but what about when nuclear winter hits?? how will we play our games with no internet UBISOFT??

    3DS - 3239-3347-2159
    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Valve is offering refunds due to the DRM bullshit that ubi pulled

    Edit: regardless of your feelings about alway-online drm, saying your game won't have it, then doing it anyway make you an utter asshat

    ronzo on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    *eyeroll*

    So I bought From Dust and think it's great. since I play lots of games, and ubisoft makes lots of good ones!, I already have a uplay account, i was even alraedy signed into it! Uplay launched, updated itself, then relaunched, updated the game, then relaunched, asked for my cd key since it auto signed me in, and then i hit play. The whole process took maybe 2 - 4 minutes and will never happen again. Game is quite fun btw but it's a bit of a shoddy PC port, locked at 30 fps, no advanced graphics controls, etc. But i like it so far.

    Now for the uplay stuff, every. single. online. retailer. has been advertising the fact in big bold capital letters that From Dust used the Ubi DRM scheme. This is not news o ra shock to anyone, if you bought the game and you didn't realize this then you didn't read the description of the game. It was said that it used Ubi DRM on D2D, Steam, GetGamesGo, GreenManGaming, and others (i hunted around for the best deal earlier so I saw it in multiple places).

    Uplay is pretty fucking stupid though. In every single way. Not just because of the DRM.

    Why in god's name do we need a SECOND system of achievements? Can't they just use the Steam/XBLA/PSN systems in place? They have to throw their shitty overlay on top of it.

    Look, I won't not buy a game because it uses Uplay, but I absolutely hate Uplay in every way. The DRM is actually the least reason for me to hate it. I think it's an awful, awful, awful thing and all criticism of it is well deserved.

    Because they have their own thing going where your achievements give you their "Uplay currency" to unlock things in their games.

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • HardtargetHardtarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    honestly the uplay currency isn't even that bad, in some ways it's kinda neat. I'll get some uplay points from doing stuff in one ubi game that I decide not to cash in on that game cause i don't think that bonus is necessarily worth it, well then another game comes out with some bonuses I think are kinda cool and boom I can cash it in for that stuff before I've gotten enough currency from that game, etc.

    with that said Uplay works much better on the consoles, it's completely unnecessary on the PC but most of my ubi titles are 360 games so I was already all set up for it anyways. Honestly, I have more important thing sin my life to get worked up about.

    Hardtarget on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Morkath wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:
    *eyeroll*

    So I bought From Dust and think it's great. since I play lots of games, and ubisoft makes lots of good ones!, I already have a uplay account, i was even alraedy signed into it! Uplay launched, updated itself, then relaunched, updated the game, then relaunched, asked for my cd key since it auto signed me in, and then i hit play. The whole process took maybe 2 - 4 minutes and will never happen again. Game is quite fun btw but it's a bit of a shoddy PC port, locked at 30 fps, no advanced graphics controls, etc. But i like it so far.

    Now for the uplay stuff, every. single. online. retailer. has been advertising the fact in big bold capital letters that From Dust used the Ubi DRM scheme. This is not news o ra shock to anyone, if you bought the game and you didn't realize this then you didn't read the description of the game. It was said that it used Ubi DRM on D2D, Steam, GetGamesGo, GreenManGaming, and others (i hunted around for the best deal earlier so I saw it in multiple places).

    The problem being, ubi tried to pass it off as if it didn't require an internet connection to play the game. There was the whole "This game will not require you to always be connected to the interent to play it" comment they made when it was first announced that it did.
    good thing I've been connected to the internet for the past decade i guess
    There's a vast world out there, and get this: it's populated by people that aren't Hardtarget. These people have an array of internet connections of differing stabilities and conditions. In some cold, bitter parts of this planet, there are people who can't rely on their internet or maybe they have to forgo internet for days, week or (dare I say it?) months at a time. And for those people, this kind of DRM sucks royal amount of ass.

    But hey, as long as Hardtarget is happy, I guess we should just drop the issue. You got yours, am I right?

    GOr07uA.gif
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    ronzo wrote:
    Valve is offering refunds due to the DRM bullshit that ubi pulled

    Edit: regardless of your feelings about alway-online drm, saying your game won't have it, then doing it anyway make you an utter asshat
    What's the procedure for doing this?

    I'll be happy to buy From Dust once they remove this shit and clean the actual port up a bit. But if they have my money, then there's less incentive to do that.

    GOr07uA.gif
  • HardtargetHardtarget Registered User regular
    ya but I don't care about those people since I'm not them.

    also wtf is the point of your post, obviously this is all opinions and my opinion is that I'm not gonna let having to be online at launch ruin my fun of a game I've been waiting for for months, especially when it's a 15 dollar game that is what 4 or 5 hours long? Am I really going to play it again in 5 years when i might not have a net connection? I seriously doubt it.

    But hey, as long as Rorus Raz makes it clear that not everybody is me!!!!

    camo_sig2.png
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User
    Damn Ubisoft and their Orwellian ways! Such a horrible and unspeakable crime they have committed in making me sign up for their thing so I can play this fun game.

    Frei wrote:
    you get to talk as if you are an internet wizard, forecasting the tides
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, I mean I'm totally open to the prospect that I'm a bad person or something, but even with my mediocre internet I generally manage to stay connected almost all of the time.

    So I just don't care if people in the middle of bumfuck nowhere have no internet and thus can't play. If they have no internet they have better things to complain about than not being able to play From Dust.

    For example, they could complain about not having any internet.

    EDIT: Alt response, I am the Hardtarget, it's me.

    Maddoc on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    It turns out you can raise your hackles over a variety of subjects simultaneously and to a number of degrees. Shit, I have internet almost all the time. This will never affect me. Damn my empathy for people that aren't me. I will adopt a more self-centered attitude immediately.

    Oh, but the port is still very subpar. That does affect me, so I can still advise people to not buy the game over that?

    GOr07uA.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If you want to get yourself all riled up on behalf of those unfortunately hypothetical people who will be affected by this DRM, say people who have no difficulty downloading a near 2gb game but can't keep an internet connection stable long enough to start said game, then that's totally your business.

    But trying to guilt trip people over it is pretty damn silly.

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I mean, if you don't have an issue with the DRM. Then fine. But it's incredibly odd to insist that other people can't raise concern or complaints about it just because you're doing hunky-dory with it.

    GOr07uA.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I just get the distinct impression that pretty much everyone complaining about this DRM is just doing so because of its existence, as opposed to any negative effect the DRM has had on anyone they know, or even anyone that they know knows. And then to lend credence to these grievances, they pull out the hypothetical people out living out in the wastes of the planet who have no internet and thus can't play this game that they downloaded from a digital download service.

    Actually the really funny part is that the existence of this DRM has actually benefited me, because now if I want to refund it because it's a bad port I can do that.

    So from where I'm standing, this DRM has done nothing but positive things.

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Damn Ubisoft and their Orwellian ways! Such a horrible and unspeakable crime they have committed in making me sign up for their thing so I can play this fun game.

    Let's not do this, it's just gonna get the thread locked. Ubi's love affair with over the top DRM not withstanding, it still doesn't change the fact that for a game on steam, it's pretty unnecessary. It's also redundant and lame to have to sign in to two separate services to play a 15 dollar game and people are not wrong to complain about it. It also doesn't change the fact that Ubi flat out told people the game wouldn't ship with this DRM scheme, and there's nothing wrong with complaining about that either.

    I'm pretty even handed with how I treat games, and even I feel ripped off by this. Not so much by the DRM, but because this is a really, really lazy port. And that should not be a thing in this day and age from a AAA publisher. The simple fact is I will never buy another Ubisoft product, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. So while I'm sure their anti-piracy measures are cutting edge stuff, all it's done is piss off their actual paying customers, which will only cost them in the future.

  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2011
    Maddoc, I've lost internet in the past for over a week. The internet I have right now isn't incredible, and I do get 12-hour or so outages every few months. Saying "I'm connecting to the internet 24/7/365" is not honest because shit does happen.

    It's not as bad when it's a primarily multiplayer affair like Starcraft II, but for a single-player puzzle game? Not really necessary.

    EDIT: The port IS bad, and I am glad that the DRM is giving me an out. But I do like the game and hope Ubisoft wakes up and gets a patch going.

    Bobkins Flymo on
    GOr07uA.gif
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Damn Ubisoft and their Orwellian ways! Such a horrible and unspeakable crime they have committed in making me sign up for their thing so I can play this fun game.

    Let's not do this, it's just gonna get the thread locked. Ubi's love affair with over the top DRM not withstanding, it still doesn't change the fact that for a game on steam, it's pretty unnecessary. It's also redundant and lame to have to sign in to two separate services to play a 15 dollar game and people are not wrong to complain about it. It also doesn't change the fact that Ubi flat out told people the game wouldn't ship with this DRM scheme, and there's nothing wrong with complaining about that either.

    Oh, it's totally redundant and silly. However, it's not so crippling that I couldn't just click through it and be on my marry way. However, if they publicly stated the game wouldn't have this Ubiplay thing, than people have a legitimate place to hurl stones from.

    Frei wrote:
    you get to talk as if you are an internet wizard, forecasting the tides
Sign In or Register to comment.