As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gotta build a website...

Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I gotta build a website for a game that we are making in my class. Not looking for anyone to make it for me, but I really don't want to have to pay for a domain name, or have to get everything approved by the school before I can post it so that it can be reached outside of the schools wireless network.

I guess what I am looking for is this...

Does anybody know any good places where I can build a website for free?

Crimson Phantom on

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For something simple like this, try Google Sites.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can create a free Drupal Gardens site with almost zero effort. I've got about a dozen myself.

JacksWastedLife on
  • Options
    aperlscriptaperlscript Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You could run an EC2 instance in Amazon's cloud for free for a year, if you're not daunted by a complex (and that's putting it mildly) toolset and admin'ing your own server.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Once you're signed up and running, you can just hit the IP address of the server you create, you wouldn't even have to bother with DNS.

aperlscript on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Awesome thanks a lot! I'll have to look into all of those and give them a try.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does your school give you any webspace you can use? A lot of them do these days.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We do, the only problem is that if you want it to be visible from outside the schools wireless network everything has to be pre-approved. So anytime I wanted to change something, or add a new link I would need to go through the whole process again. That's what I'm trying to avoid so I can get it out there and show people right away.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    Did you have any luck finding a decent website hosting site?

Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    HP: 18/29 | Surge Value: 7 (7/7) | AP 1/1
    AC 15 | Fort 13 | Ref 15 | Will 16
    Insight: 16 | Perception: 19
    Condition: Concealment until EoMNT, +2 Bonus to all Def until EoMNT
    Darkspiral Aura: 0
    Cursed: Drake, Boss
    Campaign Languages
  • Options
    Drupal was so-so, and so was using a Google site. A friend recommended just buying a domain name from a place called: www.site5.com

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    squarespace.com offers a free two week no CC required credit card and is pretty nice. But of course, that's only 2 weeks.

• Options
    angry-muffinangry-muffin Registered User regular
    WordPress can also be used to make a website - while it is predominately for blogging, it can also be used for other types of sites simply by changing the main page from a feed to a static page. I'm not sure whether or not its exactly what you want, but it might be worth at least having a look.