As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Children at PAX?

MoocatMoocat Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
I have a daughter that will be 2 come next year PAX East. I was wondering if anyone else had kids and what their experiences are with PAX? It's quite a trip (yah midwest) for us so the choices are either go with her, or leave her at home, no middle road of getting a babysitter for a day.

I'd really like to expose her to gaming culture early and often, and she's very good around lots of people and noises. I probably wouldn't be bringing her into any concerts though :p My question to other parents is, is this feasible? I also heard something about strollers not being allowed? She can walk, but asking her to walk around all day is a little much.

If you did bring (young) kids before, what kind of activities were the easiest to do with them? What did they enjoy the most?

Thanks!

-Moocat with Mookitten

Moocat on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I'm not a parent, but I can answer the stroller question. At East, strollers are allowed in the BCEC, but not on the Expo Floor. There is a bag/coat check that would likely be able to check your stroller while you're on the expo floor (although I'm not sure I would say the show floor is a place that's little kid friendly... but not a parent so take that part with a grain of salt).

zerzhul on
  • Options
    MoocatMoocat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What is the "BCEC"?

I've been to PAX west a few years ago, and the Expo floor was a specific area but did not encompass the entire floor. For example, the freeplay PC area was on the same floor as well as some of the DS play areas. Is the same true at east? (expo separated from the rest of the floor)

Moocat on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    The BCEC is the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center where PAX East is held. The expo floor is separate from the rest of the show.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Moocat wrote: »
    What is the "BCEC"?

I've been to PAX west a few years ago, and the Expo floor was a specific area but did not encompass the entire floor. For example, the freeplay PC area was on the same floor as well as some of the DS play areas. Is the same true at east? (expo separated from the rest of the floor)

The BCEC is the Boston Convention and Expo Center, where PAX East is held. Yes, the Expo floor is its own thing, separate from the rest of the show.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was at this last Pax east. I have two daughters age 5 and 7.

I can honestly say that if I would have brought them with me it wouldn't have been nearly as fun for me. I would have spent most of my time watching my children like a hawk and catering to them. I try my best to not take them to things that only I find interesting. It limits my fun and puts unnecessary strain on them. Much like how I don't take my wife to Gamestop and she doesn't ask me to come with her to the flower and craft warehouse. lol

There is also not much for them to do at Pax. I could understand having them there for a couple hours but not from opening to closing like I was.

When they turn 10-12 years old and have an interest in gaming then I'll probably take them with me.

Kyuss on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PAX Prime 2011 will be my first PAX, so I have no working experience with the event specifically (yet), but I will be bringing my 8 year-old (closer to 9 by that point) son with me. Two caveats about this:

1. I've done research as to what will be available to do at PAX.
    2. My son is already huge into video games and CCGs, and has already told me he wants to learn to play D&D.

I'm going in with the realization that I won't be able to go to many panels (if there's another Acquisitions Inc. live game I *WILL* pull rank with him, though), and we'll probably forego the concerts in favor of a decent supper and sleep. However, I know that even confined to the Freeplay areas and the Expo (and maybe the BYOC) he'll still eat it up for three solid days. He's also well-trained in sticking together in crowds and seeking out authority when separated (and defending himself when threatened), so my concerns are minimal.

The point is, know your kid and adjust accordingly.

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Fengie The NinjaFengie The Ninja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was at PAX PRIME last year and brought my daughter who was 2 years old. We had a great time. She loved walking around, waving to people, getting her picture taken with [mostly by the request of] cosplayers, hanging out with my husband and his friends, playing with other kids, exploring the expo hall, and furiously button mashing on our ancient grey gameboy. She even had her picture taken with MC Frontalot who was nice enough to let her sit on his lap while I snapped a photo.

Getting prepared for her first time to PAX took some prior planning. We decided to take her one day and see how she did. We brought snacks, games, an extra set of clothes, her blanket, and had her lie down on the giant beanbags in the freeplay area. She did so well and had such a good time we took her during all of Sunday. She is coming with us again this year.

Be sure to take into account how your daughter does around lots of noise and people. Some kids handle lots of stimulation better than others.

-edit-

Regarding panels, I didn't get to go to any this year because my daughter is so loud and wriggly. She would have disrupted any panel we would have gone to. :lol:

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We left our 4yr old with Grandma this year. We think PAX would have been too much stimulation and too many hours in a day for her. So we promised to bring her Twisted Pixel plush toys, and skyped her each night. :)

macrogeek on
  • Options
    Fengie The NinjaFengie The Ninja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I made the mistake of not scheduling nap time. Oh man, that is not happening again! Thank God for the huge beanbags in the freeplay area. >.<

Ooh, I forgot to mention the benefit of being around other parents/bringing back up. If a person chooses to bring their kid/s to PAX, having someone switch you out and give you a break is really nice. One of my friends who came with me last year works at a daycare and was nice enough to give me a break from my kid. She had a fun time taking pictures with my little one and my daughter got to hang around with auntie. This year I am rooming with other parents.

The number one thing is to look at your kid, imagine how busy and crowded PAX is going to be, and decide if your kid can handle it. Then decide if you can handle your kid in a crowded convention center. Every kid and every parent is different. Sometimes it is better for the kid and you to have grandma look after the younguns. <3
    If you did bring (young) kids before, what kind of activities were the easiest to do with them? What did they enjoy the most?

My kid was two last year. She enjoyed watching people play rockband, button mashing on my gameboy in the freeplay area, there was a Plants vs. Zombies booth and she made sure we visited it every day because she loved the gals dressed as sunflowers and the break dancing zombie, she liked the expo hall and tried out some of the games, she also loved the Doofus booth where there were stuffed animals/adorable videogame demos, but she mostly liked meeting people and especially loved any lady wearing some kind of costume.

Not specifically PAX related, but she enjoyed wandering around the convention center itself and looking at the art there. She also ended up playing with a large green 'metroid' balloon with some other kids.

Panels were out of the question and the omegathon was too loud for her. The two easiest things for my daughter was to meet cosplayers and furiously button mash on my gameboy. XD

Fengie The Ninja on