As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2011 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Since people seem to be having trouble understanding that this is a serious thread, any further joke questions will be responded to with infractions.

Have a nice day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm from St. Louis, but am going to be in Seattle visiting some family from Aug 13-22. With Prime being that weekend, I'm just going to smash the two vacations together and stay on the extra days.

That said, I'll have a few days in-between my family vacation and PAX. Are there traditionally any early bird pre-PAX festivities? Anyone willing to divulge their favorite bar, restaurant, microbrew, coffee shop, tea house, live music joint, or other entertainment venue? I'll have 2-3 days to kill and I can only spend so much time at Pike Place Market.

I know this is incredibly early! I'm happy to ask again once PAX is closer...but my family is already planning the 'family vacation' part of my adventure, so I'd like to get a jump on the second half as well.

Some quick ideas:
    -Space Needle (duh) - also has a little fair/carnival around the base of it year round. Going up the space needed will cost you like $10 or so bucks and you get to walk around the top and look at the history and junk. You could eat in the rotating dining room. Spendy.
    -Science Center - if you don't have an OMSI where you are from
    -Jimmy Hendrix Music Experience - never been myself but its right by the Space Needle.
    -Pike's Place which you already have listed. I go to Seattle often enough and I just recently found a comic and game shop in the lower levels of the market. I think this forum has mentioned it but I never found it before.
    -Aquarium - self explanatory?

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Actually going up the space needle is closer to $20 now.

I recommend going up the Columbia tower instead, its a taller building and gives a far better view.

Its not just jimmy hendrix stuff thats in the EMP, all classic rock stuff is in there.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm from St. Louis, but am going to be in Seattle visiting some family from Aug 13-22. With Prime being that weekend, I'm just going to smash the two vacations together and stay on the extra days.

That said, I'll have a few days in-between my family vacation and PAX. Are there traditionally any early bird pre-PAX festivities? Anyone willing to divulge their favorite bar, restaurant, microbrew, coffee shop, tea house, live music joint, or other entertainment venue? I'll have 2-3 days to kill and I can only spend so much time at Pike Place Market.

I know this is incredibly early! I'm happy to ask again once PAX is closer...but my family is already planning the 'family vacation' part of my adventure, so I'd like to get a jump on the second half as well.

Some quick ideas:

-Jimmy Hendrix Music Experience - never been myself but its right by the Space Needle.

Actually it's the Experience Music Project, which has a Jimi exhibit to it. :) The EMP is also coupled with the Science Fiction Museum.

to the OP, also find a pizzeria called "The Rock" and eat there (several locations in the greater Seattle area). Have a drink called The Bucket if you're of age. And enjoy the rockingness of The Rock.

Melcene on
    melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • NathenReynoldsNathenReynolds Nathen Sphincter, MissouriRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any news on a possible CCST? I met Mr. and Mrs. Spook at PAX East this year, and they told me a little bit of it. If so, where should I look for details?

NathenReynolds on
    edited April 2011
    Keep your eyes peeled. I've been a little busy at work lately, but I'll be getting to work on the thread as soon as I can.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• NathenReynoldsNathenReynolds Nathen Sphincter, MissouriRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks, will do.

NathenReynolds on
  • TeeArrWilliamsTeeArrWilliams Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moe Fwacky, ptriz21_teamkill, BigRed, Melcene:

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I went to Seattle about 10 years ago (I was fifteen at the time), so I've done a number of those things. I'm also spending Aug 13-22 with my sister (who lives in SEA) and my parents on a little family vacation, so I'll be doing a lot of that tourist-ey stuff with them.

The EMP was amazing last time I went, and I very much plan on going back. It was my favorite thing from the trip ten years ago.

As we get closer to the event, I'll probably bother you all again for some more underground/less tourist-ish stuff. Live music, interesting bars (I will want to sample as many of the microbreweries as humanly possible; and I know there are MANY in Seattle), odd museums, parks, gaming shops, tea houses, etc.

I'm a photographer, traveler, rally car enthusiast, beer enthusiast, music fanatic, and all-around-nerd by hobby, so a huge swath of the city's offerings would be very attractive to me. I'm very serious about my hobbies.

TeeArrWilliams on
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh man, the wait for the badges is killing me!

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you want to go see a bunch of locations around Seattle I highly recommend getting this: http://www.citypass.com/seattle It basically gets you into a bunch of places for cheaper. You'll probably also want to take the Underground Tour: http://www.undergroundtour.com/

I second Red's suggestion about going up the Columbia building. It's taller and only costs $5 (free if you go up with someone that works there).

Xalara on
  • MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's with the dates? I thought this normally coincided with the September long weekend.... this makes attending that much more difficult! :(

Mordroth on
    edited April 2011
    Several years ago (2007, I think) the American Fisheries Society booked the WSCTC for Labor Day Weekend. There's nothing PA could do about that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But... but... doesn't fire beat water? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5O26Dtubh0

Mordroth on
  • GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some quick ideas:
    -Space Needle (duh) - also has a little fair/carnival around the base of it year round. Going up the space needed will cost you like $10 or so bucks and you get to walk around the top and look at the history and junk. You could eat in the rotating dining room. Spendy.
    -Science Center - if you don't have an OMSI where you are from
    -Pike's Place which you already have listed. I go to Seattle often enough and I just recently found a comic and game shop in the lower levels of the market. I think this forum has mentioned it but I never found it before.
    -Aquarium - self explanatory?

The Fun Center at the Seattle Center is now gone, all the rides have been slowly taken out over the last year. EMP/SciFi is fun, we have a membership and spend a lot of time hanging out in there. My kids could sit in Sky Church for hours and not get bored. If you're at all into planes/aviation history the Museum of Flight is well worth the stop - I think it's included on the city pass that someone else mentioned.

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
    edited April 2011
    pike st market sounds interesting to check out too so i can try some beecher's cheese (as dumb as it sounds).

thegh0sts on
  • MahoMaho Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    I'm 16 and going to pax prime this year. What kinds of things will I be missing out on due to my age?

Maho on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any 21+ industry parties
    Any games demos for M rated games where the exhibitor checks ID

And that's about it.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any word if there are plans to use Benaroya hall for the concerts again this year?

KillerMcDead on
    edited April 2011
    how do you get into the parties?

thegh0sts on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    Ask around. Get to know the exhibitors. They're often invite only, though invite often means anyone who found one of a billion flyers all over the place.

Best bet is to express interest in exhibitors. Recommendation, though: express genuine interest in them and their company, not just the party.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Any word if there are plans to use Benaroya hall for the concerts again this year?

There's no info on that yet. When there is, it will likely be announced.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2011
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Ask around. Get to know the exhibitors. They're often invite only, though invite often means anyone who found one of a billion flyers all over the place.

Best bet is to express interest in exhibitors. Recommendation, though: express genuine interest in them and their company, not just the party.

fair enough. i'm sure there's gonna be something that'll get my interest at PAX.

thegh0sts on
    edited April 2011
    pike st market sounds interesting to check out too so i can try some beecher's cheese (as dumb as it sounds).

They have some of the best fish and chips in one of their restaurants. I forget the name, but its on the main level, and it has 3 floors. It overlooks Puget Sound. It was featured on the Travel Channel or something.

@Maho - you will miss out on legal alcohol comsumption, if you are in to that sort of thing. You will miss out on legal smoking of cigarettes in the smoking area if you are in to that sort of thing. Thats about it

@KillerMcDead - I heard a rumor that they weren't going to use Benaroya this year. But that is exactly what it is at this point, a rumor.

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is that Lowell's or the Athenian? I forget which restaurant it is since they're side by side and I always mix them up. Actually, if you're looking for fish and chips in Pike Place Market your best bet is to go to Jack's Fish Spot. It's small and looks kinda sketchy but having gotten fish and chips at almost every place in the market I'd say they are the best. They're friendly, cheap, and you get a good helping of fresh cut fries, plus as a bonus the Three Girl's Bakery is right next door!

Xalara on
    edited April 2011
    Xalara wrote: »
    Is that Lowell's or the Athenian? I forget which restaurant it is since they're side by side and I always mix them up. Actually, if you're looking for fish and chips in Pike Place Market your best bet is to go to Jack's Fish Spot. It's small and looks kinda sketchy but having gotten fish and chips at almost every place in the market I'd say they are the best. They're friendly, cheap, and you get a good helping of fresh cut fries, plus as a bonus the Three Girl's Bakery is right next door!

Oh that's right. I'm thinking of Lowell's

ptriz21_teamkill on
    edited April 2011
    cool, another thing to check out while i roam the streets of seattle.

thegh0sts on
  • jmckeldenjmckelden Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is nothing dumb about Beecher's Cheese. Some of the best cheese around. I live just south of Seattle, so I've been several times. To be honest, it's a must-stop for us when we hit up Pike Place.

jmckelden on
    edited April 2011
    jmckelden wrote: »
    There is nothing dumb about Beecher's Cheese. Some of the best cheese around. I live just south of Seattle, so I've been several times. To be honest, it's a must-stop for us when we hit up Pike Place.

i meant trying beecher's because its a brand that doesn't exist in Australia....and that it's cheese (everywhere has cheese!)

thegh0sts on
    edited April 2011

i meant trying beecher's because its a brand that doesn't exist in Australia....and that it's cheese (everywhere has cheese!)

I hear you. Here in Oregon we have the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Granted they have ice cream and meats and stuff. But I've lived here for over 10 years and have been once. Maybe twice. Its just cheese right??? But it is a mandatory tourist spot, like I imagine Beecher's is. So go forth and eat cheese without shame.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    edited April 2011

I hear you. Here in Oregon we have the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Granted they have ice cream and meats and stuff. But I've lived here for over 10 years and have been once. Maybe twice. Its just cheese right??? But it is a mandatory tourist spot, like I imagine Beecher's is. So go forth and eat cheese without shame.

i plan to pass through Oregon on my way to San Fran via the Amtrak after PAX :)

thegh0sts on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    srsly? i live over 5 hours away and have been 6 times. I LOVE TILLAMOOK CHEDDAR!!!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I live almost 8 hours away from Tillamook and still been there dozen times in 15 years. Each time we were on the coast, dad and I made a trip over so he could get ice cream.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kismetdollkismetdoll Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Heeeey so I've never been to PAX, and Seattle's my hometown but I haven't been back since I moved when when I was oh, seven. 24 now, female, looking for people to either drive to Seattle and back from St. Louis, MO OR roomshare with a group and fly instead. Never posted on these forums before, hopefully I'll be able to find people before the con.

Any questions, ask or if you're interested please let me know!!

kismetdoll on
    edited April 2011
    The Cross-Country Supertrip thread should go up this weekend in response to driving to PAX. The Hotel Room-Share thread will go up when everything officially launches, which should be very soon.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2011
    hml151 wrote: »
    I live almost 8 hours away from Tillamook and still been there dozen times in 15 years. Each time we were on the coast, dad and I made a trip over so he could get ice cream.

Well now I'm just a bad Oregonian

ptriz21_teamkill on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Your not a bad Oregonian, I love the coast and dad loves ice cream and for a good 18 years we went to the coast once or twice a year. If I've learned anything, if you live there and see it too much, you get bored. PAX is one I don't see that problem occurring!

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TeeArrWilliamsTeeArrWilliams Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kismetdoll wrote: »
    Heeeey so I've never been to PAX, and Seattle's my hometown but I haven't been back since I moved when when I was oh, seven. 24 now, female, looking for people to either drive to Seattle and back from St. Louis, MO OR roomshare with a group and fly instead. Never posted on these forums before, hopefully I'll be able to find people before the con.

Hey! A fellow St. Louisan!

I've been to PAX East the past two years, but this will be my first PAX Prime. I'm actually headed out on the 13th to spend time with my sister who lives in Seattle, and then sticking around for PAX later in the month. My flight back is early Monday morning (Southwest Flight 1474, Aug 29th 6AM)

I seriously doubt your travel schedule will line up with mine (messed up as it is), but I can definitely help you coordinate if need be.

TeeArrWilliams on
    edited April 2011
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    srsly? i live over 5 hours away and have been 6 times. I LOVE TILLAMOOK CHEDDAR!!!

boo! looks like Tillamook is out of my way though i am looking at checking out Portland and Eugene: are those good places to visit? info from locals would be cool.

thegh0sts on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    I think this is getting pretty off-topic for the FAQ. Maybe make a thread of "cool stuff to do in and near seattle" or post in the "what I hope for pax this year" thread or do pms or something ;)

zerzhul on
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kismetdoll wrote: »

There are a few other people flying out of St. Louis in the Westward Aviation Group.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=139542

Creamsteak on
This discussion has been closed.