As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird monitor issues

AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm using two monitors, have been for a few months without trouble, but yesterday and today one of them has been dropping out frequently, and I'm not sure why.
The two monitors are plugged into a brand new ATI 6950, one by DVI and one by HDMI, and it's the HDMI one that's dropping out. I've changed the HDMI cable but it's still happening, not sure how to determine if it's the monitor or video card, but my money's on the monitor.
When it drops out, the monitor goes black, and makes a few little staticy popping noises. I can't use the buttons while it's black, to change input source or anything, and changing resolution or whatever does nothing. After about five minutes it comes back.
It happened once last night, and three times in the last hour, so it seems to be getting worse.
Curiously, when I unplug the HDMI from the monitor the computer realises that only one monitor is plugged in, and so puts everything on the other monitor, but when I unplug the HDMI from the video card nothing happens, and it still thinks that there are two monitors connected.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might have caused this? And how to fix it without buying new stuff?

Thanks a lot.

AnteCantelope on