As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hanging up a shelf on a shallow wall?

bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend wasnt to hang up some shelves but the wall above her drawing table is too shallow before we hit the cement.

We live in an apartment building and aren't sure can we drill into the cement or are we boned on the shelves in this location?

bloodyroarxx on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is the drywall right on the cement, or is there a gap? How much gap is there?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You could ask the landlord or whoever if you are allowed to drill into the wall. I suspect that they would say no though.

I don't know how different kinds of apartment buildings are constructed. More information would help.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can probably use toggle bolts but I would be wary of just anything and would want something like this that is rated for carrying some weight.

No idea how it's done in .ca (here you would almost always find concrete blocks that would be easy enough to drill rather than poured which is a PITA) but anyway, around here folks usually use furring strips which I personally would drill into for extra support if you do decide to go with toggle bolts. I also wouldn't trust just screwing into furring strips as the metal is generally fairly light gauge compared to metal framing studs.

Roland_tHTG on