As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

System hard locking up randomly

Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
Crossposted from H/A

I just got a new pre-built computer with a 580gtx and a 2600k 3.4ghz along with 8 gigs of ram running on Windows 7 64 bit. It's only 4 days old, and multiple times now when doing things like browsing the internet or downloading a game on Steam, it'll all of a sudden go into a hard lock up. Mouse is frozen, keyboard doesn't respond. Only thing I can do is force the system to shut down and then start it back up again. I've already talked to tech support for hours about this. All the power settings are at maximum performance, the video card cpu and HD have been stress tested with no errors showing up at all, and RAM isn't a problem because there's no blue or black screen, the image just straight up freezes. I changed my graphics drivers back to WHQL ones instead of beta drivers, and it still does it. Did a scandisk, defrag, everything maintenance wise. Does anyone have any idea what it could be at this point? The only thing the lockups have in common is every time I've been connected to the internet. I have Avast free antivirus and have run multiple scans of everything, no viruses.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this.

Hank_Scorpio on

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Could be alot of different things really, and difficult to troubleshoot. Did you look at heat issues? All the fans spinning, etc?

Otherwise you may be wanting to send it back.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fans are working fine, temps are good. It locks up completely at the CPU testing part of the windows experience index (to give it a rating for games explorer), and aside from that randomly like I mentioned. I've run BIOS tests, stress tests, memtest, everything passes. I'm stumped, guess I'll just have to send it back soon.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    notsosupermarionotsosupermario Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have you tried booting into a linux livecd and playing around on that for a while?

notsosupermario on