As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    jpeg wrote:
    this is taking way too long, fuck rendering chains forever

img0160sm.jpg

edited because I finished the subject (maybe)
    Obilex wrote:
    staytillnovember.jpg

that time of year.

That is a neat color scheme but I can't look at it without thinking "quaint prairie home as viewed by THE PREDATOR"

ColdWar.jpg

CONFUSED. EXPRESSIONS.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I love that thing you drew Fug

that's a good thing you drew

I love it

• Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    really really funny you say that, as I had both predator and predators playing in the background while I was painting it. I guess it rubbed off without me knowing...

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    F87 wrote:
    @Spectre-x That's awesome!
    F87, can't wait until you starting moving away from those heavy black smudgey lines you tend to use... you need to colouriiiize, mannn. And sharpen stuff up.

I understand the sharper rendering part, but what do you mean by my lines? I can definitely do better with the line quality, but colourize?

Obilex interpreted my remarks correctly! I would love for you to experiment with getting rid of those black thick smudgey lines, even if its just reducing the brush size and drawing with a colour rather than black - or painting and cutting back so that the lines disappear. I think it will really benefit the look of your work.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I did the long neck Fug.

Anyways pretty much just a copy-pasta from my thread, just looking for basic first impressions and feedback.
    Siegfried wrote:
    Doin some self-branding logo variations, I could use some input on what looks good, what doesn't, maybe some ideas too.

Kind of trying to keep this one mostly type-based.

tumblr_lso908Ey7a1r038ijo1_500.png

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    Siegfried wrote:
    I did the long neck Fug.

Okay thanks, I was wondering who that was.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Fugitive wrote:
    Siegfried wrote:
    I did the long neck Fug.

Okay thanks, I was wondering who that was.

Hahaha "dig" dammit

Yeah anyways its cool.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    thxbro!

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    doodle

twnw6.png

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    that's the hi-fi audio system specially designed for frats

this is a dragon for Melding's dragon compendium
    it's a demon using a dead dragon's body
    name of Black King

301dmdu.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    mrgameandwatchmrgameandwatch Registered User regular
    Dats a sweet dragon Tam, though I feel it could benefit for some more demony, corpsy or some other aspect to show that the demon is taking it for a ride

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    LOL BACKGROUND WHAT'S A BACKGROUND

I think I'll just throw some lines back there and call it a day
    IKopY.png

Original image
    v5jwO.gif

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    he took the body fresh, but that's a demon eye in the middle of the forehead

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Here's my first week's CDA homework. Thumbnails!
    jeffchuangthumbsmasseffect.jpg

• Options
    ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    @Subliminus : go on...

We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Getting a real Syd Mead vibe from a couple of those, Prox. Keep it the fuck up. Mmmmmm.

• Options
    Was the homework to create designs based on Mass Effect design elements?

Regardless, they look cool.

• Options
    Fugitive wrote:
    Was the homework to create designs based on Mass Effect design elements?

Regardless, they look cool.

Yes.

• Options
    I actually legitimately assumed that was the assignment goal, btdubs.

You pulled it off nicely.

• Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    Scratchboard image of the contest between Poseidon (shown here summoning sea water) and Athena to establish the patronage of Athens. (Guess who won?)

7ab97ee1a1d76fb368be0095e558b979-d4c7tv2.jpg

My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    Prox, you're taking classes at concept design academy? Let's hang out I go to Art Center.

Ignore the above.
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    holy balls concept design academy is literally blocks from where I had my last co-op

WHY DID I NOT KNOW

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    AUUUUGH seriously I now feel like I've missed an awesome opportunity.

PROX. walk through the parking lot, take a left at delmar, right at delacey (across from the salvation army store) go north until you hit green street. You will smell delicious coffee buns; locate the Papa Rich store on the left and buy me one.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    WIP, does this look right?

cowcolors3wiipp.jpg

• Options
    bugga bugga boo

jb34ex.jpg

• Options
    The croc guy came out evil. Tam's dragon is making me look bad.

cowcolorspostp2.jpg

• Options
    different take on that there ghostrider fella

gr5.jpg

• Options
    I would recommend going to CDA. It's good stuff. Cool paint quality Obilex. Little stubby feets though. work on the foreshortening.

• Options
    obi that is tiiiiiight dogg

6s5s2g.jpg

• Options
    Yeaaaaa, I totally guessed my way through that part. I will admit, embarrassingly enough that I have no clue what the heck to do when it comes to foreshortening.

It is my white wale.

I can never wrap my head around how the whole process works. I understand that it relies heavily, if not entirely on perspective, but beyond that I'm lost without a compass.

• Options
    foreshortening is perspective
    ya gotta do perspective to do foreshortening

• Options
    Holy shit I hate state schools. That totally makes sense now, I remember asking my teacher what it was and how it worked, she was like "as the object gets farther away you have to change the size so it's smaller." which is true I suppose, but I always thought it actually meant making the object smaller in terms of proportions as it got far away hence the Cotton Hill bodystyle. I feel like an idiot :P

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Character Designs from last week. The tattooed man was a practice of working fast using quick digital techniques - such as gradient tone, flat block colors and shades and using a pretty generic simple pose.

The gunslinger guy is a more refined piece. Before anyone says anything - yes his lanky proportions are intentional. keeping that in mind, feel free to rip it apart!

abm3wi.jpg

34h9y5u.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    ugh...watercolor + broken scanner+ iphone camera= washed out.

Should i have pushed darks darker? i just feel directionless lately.

artzombie.jpg

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    hey winter...those are looking good man. Lots of improvement!

• Options
    Tam wrote:
    foreshortening is perspective
    ya gotta do perspective to do foreshortening

Needlessly pedantic discussion about art terms incoming:

I don't quite agree with the first part, though I agree with the second- in order to do foreshortening well, a knowledge of perspective is very useful, though I'd say it's more about construction (which, of course, also requires perspective knowledge to do well.)

To my mind, foreshortening is really all about how to accentuate the forms of an object to create overlaps that create the illusion of depth- one can have good perspective, and yet have ineffective foreshortening. To give an example:
    The first image is (while not very well drawn), has decent foreshortening- the overlapping lines create a sense of form and depth in the drawing, and it seems to be in decent enough perspective.
    The next image is the same thing, same perspective, but with all the overlaps removed- it makes it difficult to tell if it's coming or going, and it makes it hard to tell if it's in good perspective or not.
    The bottom two images show what can happen if you don't quite understand or pay attention to foreshortening- things get flattened out or run counter to one's intention, because the artist isn't giving enough attention to how the lines indicating form and their overlaps function to create a sense of depth.
    foreshortening.jpg

Now to bring it back to Obilex's picture, yeah, there are perspective issues; even for someone with a lot of perspective experience, the extreme angle would give a lot of trouble, and doing the formal perspective legwork here would help things a lot, sure.
    But if we're talking about foreshortening exclusively, the issue becomes more about choice of detail- having brushstrokes/details/wrinkles go across the form rather than down it, in order to create some overlaps that can help sell that perspective, that kind of thing.

(This might have been a slightly unnecessary thing to go on about, but whatever.)

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    wck, If you're going to go for exaggerated proportions, I recommend going all out, you've got a generic head and normal hands on this crazy long neck and torso, it just doesn't balance out. I'm a skinny tall, noodle person, and I have long piano player/witch fingers, for instance.

• Options
  • Options
    Iruka wrote:
    wck, If you're going to go for exaggerated proportions, I recommend going all out, you've got a generic head and normal hands on this crazy long neck and torso, it just doesn't balance out. I'm a skinny tall, noodle person, and I have long piano player/witch fingers, for instance.
    This is why I use reference for crazy ass foreshortning poses, I think its impossible to get that right from memory unless you are a jedi master .

This discussion has been closed.