As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You get a situation where some are just flat out better than others. I remember people balked about Will of the Forsaken for a looooonnnng time and how long did it take Blizz to address that?

The 1-2 hour cooldowns could probably be trimmed down to probably a 15-20 minute cooldowns because in vids so far I haven't seen them do anything a big heal from a priest or mystic wouldn't do

But yeah, I'm not too big a fan of the cooldowns BUT I'm holding out hope that they're getting a looking at for when they're finished rebalancing everything.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do like the fact that the big racials have varying CDs that seem to relate to how "useful" the power actually is. The full HP/MP ones are on 2h CDs for example.

Also, I think the reason for the super long CDs is so they don't make one race epically better for a particular class, so you will actually see people playing based on the appearance of the race and the class you like rather than matching certain classes to certain races.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I'm not a fan of big cooldowns either. Even at 30 minutes I forget I even have them.

ghost_master2000 on
  • NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    Not overly fond of racial abilities with loooooooong cooldowns. It just means I'll never, ever use them, saving them for that perfect moment that never comes.

Agreed entirely, I hope this is changed or one of the things they change in the localization. It doesn't have to be a short cooldown, but more than 10-15 minutes and it's the sort of thing that never gets used.

Nishu on
    edited April 2011
    Couple of vids:

Human Berserker going to work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpPmi3BzvSQ

Elin Sorcerer vs a pack of....Bearverines?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQ6QObrIoc

Aman Slayer going all Monster hunter on an eyeball dinosaur
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvw2FY6wFHo

Beezel on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Items drop right on the ground? How RO. Hopefully they're at least per-person, don't really want Diablo style "who can click on shit fastest" bollocks.

[edit] Man, Slayers look awesome, that feels like playing Monster Hunter (sans losing 30-50% of your health every time you get hit and having to avoid the boss' posse).

Glal on
    edited April 2011
    Items drop right on the ground? How RO. Hopefully they're at least per-person, don't really want Diablo style "who can click on shit fastest" bollocks.

[edit] Man, Slayers look awesome, that feels like playing Monster Hunter (sans losing 30-50% of your health every time you get hit and having to avoid the boss' posse).

The way the loot system was explained to me is that high grade loot, which is mostly crafting mats, is class specific. Meaning if, for example, a shard of whatever that a Lancer can use to make a new jockstrap drops, a Berserker can't roll up on snatch it from him. He can't pick it up at all. Misc. Drops that anyone can use are given random loot rights to a random party member. Gold, when picked up is evenly distributed among the party members involved in the kill. It sounds like it'll work out, especially in a group of people you know.

That being said, I would still rather have a loot system like WoW's

Beezel on
    edited April 2011

I am 99% sure that is an epic mob that he should be fighting with a group.

So nice job by him soloing it.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game looks pretty good in action.

reVerse on
    edited April 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

I am 99% sure that is an epic mob that he should be fighting with a group.

So nice job by him soloing it.

Yeah a lot of these vids are are classes soloing x monster. But show off a lot of what the classes have to offer.

speaking of:

Castanic warrior against the same type of eyeball dino the slayer was
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ElYm8LRis

Beezel on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remain displeased with the conspicuous lack of Gunlances.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited April 2011
    There's a really nifty skill in that castanic warrior video where she summons a shadow image to fight the dragon and the dragon focuses on the shadow.

reVerse on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Read a review over on one of the tera specific sites. Person was in the recent CPE and commented on the things that bothered them.

Listed the one class as having collision issues with mobs, commented on the linearity of maps, and had a few other things to say.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Read a review over on one of the tera specific sites. Person was in the recent CPE and commented on the things that bothered them.

Listed the one class as having collision issues with mobs, commented on the linearity of maps, and had a few other things to say.

A link to the review would be more helpful. :P

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    Was on tera online. There are a number of other CPE reviews there in the general forums. Some are entirely positive, some mostly with a few details of items that were bothersome.

The one I mentioned was in the "MMORPG.com Shares Impressions on TERA's Gameplay During Community Play Event" thread in News & Announcements.

grouch993 on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Was on tera online. There are a number of other CPE reviews there in the general forums. Some are entirely positive, some mostly with a few details of items that were bothersome.

The one I mentioned was in the "MMORPG.com Shares Impressions on TERA's Gameplay During Community Play Event" thread in News & Announcements.

Ok since you seem to be dead set on not linking to the article I'll do it for you. After a quick google search i'm assuming you were referencing a random forum post which was itself referencing the actual article which (unless I got the wrong one) should be this one http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/477/feature/5111/TERA-Game-Play-Impressions.html

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited April 2011
    Wouldn't agree with dead set, just blocked from work. The review I mentioned was this one and then the posts by critlocked.

grouch993 on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will probably play one of each class. They all just look so fun.

edit: ooh a cool bit of info about gathering:
    gathering with multiple people stacks. If someone's gathering and you run up and gather as well, then your progress will match their progress and both players end up with the gathered material. Or in this case, the gathered cargo. Good info to have.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited April 2011
    That seems like it'll encourage people to be less of a dick over a node. Except for if there are pvp realms, where I will kill the person already gathering and take it all for myself.

Beezel on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Form raid. Travel from node to node.

Be awesome.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone complaining about repetitiveness in a MMO is probably playing the wrong genre.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Grind isn't so much my issue with the genre as much as how much effort they put into masking the grind and setting up a layered tier of rewards for the amount of work players put in. And that varies from game to game. Korean designed mmos tend to historically lean toward the bare bones amount of gameplay common to the genre meant to attract the type of player who wants to do nothing but smoke cigarettes and mindlessly click on things for hours on end. I think it's a valid concern to have going in.

A good recent case example would be AION before they (relatively) got their shit together (a little too late imo) When the game first released, past level 25 you simply ran out of things to do aside from continuously grind monsters for a piddly amount of experience as the sole means of leveling efficiently. That's the sort of style of gameplay one would expect from a free to play gig and not the sort of experience most have come to expect from something with a subscription fee and initial "box" price going in.

People in the west like to quest from what I've seen. It's still a grind but it's a different style of grind. It's all perception. But that's the sort of gameplay we've come to expect out of the genre over here. And I hope that Blue Hole and En Masse realize these things as they try to market this game to NA and EU regions.

Beezel on
    edited April 2011
    I mean more the combat.

What MMO isnt wailing on F1 for 8 hours a day? If you arent, then you are bad at making macros, thats really what it comes down to.

Quests, exp grinds, dungeons and equipment tiers and such are all things I have no real opinion on. I mean hell, I spent 3 years in one MMO just to get a single item.

I just find any comment about MMO combat being repetitive or boring to be hilarious. Thats all. Though I suppose many probably think otherwise, and want to claim there is some kind of skill involved. I for one know a G15 keyboard can play 90% of MMO fights just as well as a human player can, in many instances better. (That last 10% being ones with positional issues. At which point you just move while your macros cycle.)

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    On that thread, the idea that people have to reach max level in a short amount of time is sort of puzzling.

Unless the game has been designed so most of the content is at the end, there is that whole middle ground for background story, learning mechanics and whatnot.

grouch993 on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I mean hell, I spent 3 years in one MMO just to get a single item.

This makes me sad.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited April 2011
    I mean more the combat.
    What MMO isnt wailing on F1 for 8 hours a day? If you arent, then you are bad at making macros, thats really what it comes down to.
    Quests, exp grinds, dungeons and equipment tiers and such are all things I have no real opinion on. I mean hell, I spent 3 years in one MMO just to get a single item.
    I just find any comment about MMO combat being repetitive or boring to be hilarious. Thats all. Though I suppose many probably think otherwise, and want to claim there is some kind of skill involved. I for one know a G15 keyboard can play 90% of MMO fights just as well as a human player can, in many instances better. (That last 10% being ones with positional issues. At which point you just move while your macros cycle.)
    If your keyboard can macro a Death Knight tank my hat off to it. And by that I mean actually tank, not just cycle through attacks and wipe your team within 15 seconds.

Glal on
    edited April 2011
    I mean more the combat.
    If your keyboard can macro a Death Knight tank my hat off to it. And by that I mean actually tank, not just cycle through attacks and wipe your team within 15 seconds.

After looking through several guides (Which I do not know the validity of, but the videos seem to indicate people werent dying.) I dont particularly see how DK tanking is any harder than, say, riftstalker tanking on Rift. It looks a far cry easier than Ninja tanking in FFXI pre-buffing.

Ive never actually played one, though, so now Im curious what makes this such a challenge. Maybe link me a proper not outdated guide?

Yes, I know this is getting slightly off topic, but now Im curious.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like it would be a great conversation to have...

In PMs, or a WoW thread, or maybe a Tanking in MMOs generic thread?

Just a thought. :)

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • jhubaseball08jhubaseball08 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sup everyone! I'd just like to let it be known that myself and 7-8 friends will be starting our own guild (or whatever Tera's iteration of "guild" is called) upon release. All of us are 2-5x rank1 wow arena veterans. As such, the guild will obviously be pvp-centric, with plenty of pve fun thrown in. Just wanted to throw this out there in case any PA fans that are avid PvPers are looking for a home. MMO pvp achievements are not at all required. We'll take anyone who's avid about tearing the opposing team a new one. While the founding members happen to be successful pvpers, everyone has to start somewhere, and any good pvper will tell you it's 75% who you play with, not individual skill. So if you're looking for like-minded pvp loving individuals, shoot me a PM as release date nears, and we'll set you up with a home!

jhubaseball08 on
  • NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

This is the most ridiculous MMO exaggeration I've ever heard.

Sure you can macro the hell out of things in Rift simply because of the way the abilities are laid out and the macro system functions. This works for some DPS classes. You're not macroing healing, tanking, the rest of the DPS in Rift, in WoW, or pretty much any other major MMO and not playing worse than if you just pressed the buttons yourself. I'd go out on a limb to say that if you feel macroing everything into 1 button is the best way to play a MMO, I'm not sure the genre is for you.

Also, Tera cannot possibly hit available beta stages soon enough. I yearn to get my grubby paws on this thing.

Nishu on
    edited April 2011
    Getting yourself noticed at tera fans or tera online might gain a test invitation.

Would be nice to check it out early, from some of the videos and reading about it seems like a good title.

grouch993 on
    Saaaad Saaad news.
    1) Game was pushed to "first quarter 2012" They say it's for quality reasons but I think it's a mix of that along with not wanting to go head to head with some of the bigger name games coming out near the end of this year.

2)Japanese Beta has started. Initial impressions are positive I'm hearing.

Well, hopefully this means some improvements tossed our way that will have been patched into the JP version since. Though, I hear that beta has anti-cheating software- I really hope we're not getting stuck with some GameGuard bullshit. No, GG, using XPadder is not cheating, fuck off!

I think they're using this time to add in a bit more endgame content as well. Last I heard as far as localization and translating was concerned the game is pretty much done. That's why this pushback news confused me

Well, if I'm not entirely mistaken, the localization team/company mentioned in some early interviews that they're not just translating the game, they're making suggestions to the dev team how to make the game more "western-friendly". If they are implementing that stuff, I'd imagine that might contribute to the delay.

Like adding stockings to the midget girls so it isn't child porn to us prudish westerners.

steam_sig.png
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    What a shame. This is the MMO I'm most looking forward to. We need more MMOs on the market that toss out the tired target & auto attack formula. More action game style gameplay makes even the most tedious grinding incredibly more enjoyable. The phantasy star MMOs are a great example of this.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
    Like adding stockings to the midget girls so it isn't child porn to us prudish westerners.

In some cases, adding the stockings might just make it worse

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that I find the gameplay, class and world-design interesting, and feel that I could deal with Korean-grind because of the engaging combat... but end up not really wanting to play this game because of the absurd female armors?

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Yeah, that's pretty... yeah.

I really hope they have some decent armor for female characters in the final game. I really don't want to make my characters look like cheap medieval hookers.

This discussion has been closed.