As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Guys, I already bought the game, you don't have to defend it to the death just because I have some personal opinions on a thing we all have spent money on.

Not trying to sell you on it, but I think we'd actually like you to have a good time. :)

Well, it's just turning pretty hostile I guess...

Sorry guys, this is my fault I guess, I might be a bit out of it at the moment.
    So again: Sorry if I have angered anyone, it was not my intention and I hope to have fun in the game and wish everyone else here a really really good time with the game!

That happens a lot, even in these gentlemanly forums, when people are passionate about something. I saw quite a bit of it in the GW2 thread, and in many before it.

But seriously, check out the video I linked a bit further up in the page (Or just click this). It really is an eye-opener as to how non-static the combat is.

I'm not even angry, I just feel that people already have very large misconceptions about the game without having people who say they played the game come in and spout off falsehoods.

I think you just absolutely do not pick up on the kind of "movement while fighting" I am talking about, which is all good and no one really cares.

The game is pretty similar to Monster Hunter in how attacks move you, so there we go, it's all good, back to playing.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Guys, I already bought the game, you don't have to defend it to the death just because I have some personal opinions on a thing we all have spent money on.

Not trying to sell you on it, but I think we'd actually like you to have a good time. :)

So again: Sorry if I have angered anyone, it was not my intention and I hope to have fun in the game and wish everyone else here a really really good time with the game!

That happens a lot, even in these gentlemanly forums, when people are passionate about something. I saw quite a bit of it in the GW2 thread, and in many before it.

But seriously, check out the video I linked a bit further up in the page (Or just click this). It really is an eye-opener as to how non-static the combat is.

I'm not even angry, I just feel that people already have very large misconceptions about the game without having people who say they played the game come in and spout off falsehoods.

I think you just absolutely do not pick up on the kind of "movement while fighting" I am talking about, which is all good and no one really cares.

The game is pretty similar to Monster Hunter in how attacks move you, so there we go, it's all good, back to playing.

Yes I am aware that you have since clarified your position, which is fine. My initial statements were based on your "In TERA I stand around while swinging my sword/whatever" Stand around does not imply movement and I just wanted to make sure people reading the thread were aware that that is indeed not the case. Like I said I'm not angry and no ill will is wished upon you, carry on.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    In other news: Snarky loading screen tips are hilarious

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

I would also agree that the bolded statement seems accurate to me, given my current amount of time played in the game. (20 archer, 15 lancer)

It is also the reason I am thourighly enjoying myself as I love this aspect of Monster Hunter. Yes, my attacks commit me to standing in one spot until the animation finishes, that means I have to be strategical in how and when I strike. Learning monster attack animations and patterns.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png

Yes I am aware that you have since clarified your position, which is fine. My initial statements were based on your "In TERA I stand around while swinging my sword/whatever" Stand around does not imply movement and I just wanted to make sure people reading the thread were aware that that is indeed not the case. Like I said I'm not angry and no ill will is wished upon you, carry on.

Let's make out and never stop.
    I want to keep moving while we kiss *winky*

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »

I liked it better when the loading screens had little snippets of lore during beta.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited May 2012

Let's make out and never stop.
    I want to keep moving while we kiss *winky*

Easy there killer, people are watching, and they may think we're just standing around ;)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Also, after playing a warrior I HATE the caster (mystic in this case) basic attack. At level 18 now, while grinding I tend to just faceplant into mobs so I can use my PBAE spells instead of the basic attack. It's just not fun.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »

I liked it better when the loading screens had little snippets of lore during beta.

I love lore too.. but stuff that essentially equates to, "Read your quest before asking questions, moron" and "don't ressurect when it's going to cost your party time for no reason" is great

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So folks, we're closing in on new thread time. I saved the OP and wondered if there was anything I needed to add for next go around.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Wow I hadn't checked the OP in ages, that's actually really nicely done.

delphinidaes.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    I hate how the holy trinity is in this and I will be a "tank/dps/healer".
    I hate that shit and after GW2 it feels like I'm going back to 2005 playing WoW.

Actually, this is why I'm liking the combat of Tera over that of GW2. Because even though the trinity is still in this, the actual dodging and blocking in Tera is really really solid... where in GW2, its there, but feels sloppy. You still end up face tanking a lot of hits in GW2, and in those events where things scale... it feels like its missing the trinity.

I totally understand GW2 will have a lot of stuff tweaked and I plan on playing it a great deal. But the combat itself, trinity or not, feels much better and fluid in Tera. My player skill allows me to solo things that are really really hard to solo in Tera... in GW2, skill still only gets you so far and it feels like you are only intended to dodge/block certain things and the enemy will still lock on perfectly the rest of the time like in any MMO.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Badwrong wrote: »
    I hate that shit and after GW2 it feels like I'm going back to 2005 playing WoW.

Actually, this is why I'm liking the combat of Tera over that of GW2. Because even though the trinity is still in this, the actual dodging and blocking in Tera is really really solid... where in GW2, its there, but feels sloppy. You still end up face tanking a lot of hits in GW2, and in those events where things scale... it feels like its missing the trinity.

I totally understand GW2 will have a lot of stuff tweaked and I plan on playing it a great deal. But the combat itself, trinity or not, feels much better and fluid in Tera. My player skill allows me to solo things that are really really hard to solo in Tera... in GW2, skill still only gets you so far and it feels like you are only intended to dodge/block certain things and the enemy will still lock on perfectly the rest of the time like in any MMO.

Well, we've seen videos of people killing monsters twice their level in GW2, but again, different strokes and it's the TERA thread. I'll try out my sorcerer and see how it goes!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular

QFT. I think TERA did the dodging/movement much better than GW2 (based on OBT versus first BWE). In TERA, you can see when you are being attacked and can move. Animations line up well with contact. I did not feel this was the case in GW2, where some moves were telegraphed enough to dodge and others were poorly synced. I also found that I was actually hit during a dodge, which I was under the impression you were supposed to be immune. I do realize it is beta, so perhaps a lot of that synchronization will be remedied by release, but after my 3 days with both games, TERA combat > GW2.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Well, we've seen videos of people killing monsters twice their level in GW2, but again, different strokes and it's the TERA thread. I'll try out my sorcerer and see how it goes!

That has nothing to do with skill, GW2 scales your level up and down where ever you go. If you are level 10 but in a zone that has a range of 20-23, it will scale you up to 20 or so.

I'm talking about taking on boss monsters solo, just because the dodging and blocking is so solid that you can actually do so.

I'll be playing both games a ton, GW2 has a billion other features that Tera doesn't even come close to... but the combat, Tera is tops.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That has nothing to do with skill, GW2 scales your level up and down where ever you go. If you are level 10 but in a zone that has a range of 20-23, it will scale you up to 20 or so.

I'm talking about taking on boss monsters solo, just because the dodging and blocking is so solid that you can actually do so.

I'll be playing both games a ton, GW2 has a billion other features that Tera doesn't even come close to... but the combat, Tera is tops.

GW2 does not scale your level up, where did you see/hear that?
    It scales you down but you can definitely run into a level 20 zone at lvl 1 and get your butt raped.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Old info. Characters used to be auto leveled up in an earlier beta, but they took it out sometime before the press beta.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    To be fair to GW2, the dodging and movement mechanics could prove to be quite solid once the game is optimized a bit better, and when the lag isn't completely killing my ability to play.

I have already pre-ordered GW2 so it's a given I'll be playing that more, and honestly don't want to bash the game even though I was kinda disappointed by my initial impressions. TERA likewise took a bit of time to grow on me, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

In the meantime, I'll definitely be spending time improving my warrior dodge skills and tanking BAMs like a baus.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I cant believe my rock race dude wears earings. Drilling holes in my ears hurt.

And what, when humans do it it doesn't? :P

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    To be fair to GW2, the dodging and movement mechanics could prove to be quite solid once the game is optimized a bit better, and when the lag isn't completely killing my ability to play.

I have already pre-ordered GW2 so it's a given I'll be playing that more, and honestly don't want to bash the game even though I was kinda disappointed by my initial impressions. TERA likewise took a bit of time to grow on me, so I'm willing to give it a chance.

In the meantime, I'll definitely be spending time improving my warrior dodge skills and tanking BAMs like a baus.

Can't you still tab target and lock on in GW2? The dodging and movement could be aces but without the same commitment to the player attacks giving them weight and forcing you to decide when and where to use them because of the animations it really won't ever compare imo.

delphinidaes.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Can't you still tab target and lock on in GW2? The dodging and movement could be aces but without the same commitment to the player attacks giving them weight and forcing you to decide when and where to use them because of the animations it really won't ever compare imo.

My understanding of the dodge roll in GW2 is that, if you are hit while in the 'dodging' animation, you take no damage. Unlike in TERA where what matters is whether the enemies' weapon/projectile strikes your hitbox.

EDIT: It's worth noting here that you also can't just dodge endlessly, as you have limited stamina (or whatever that bar is called). So you have to be judicious in your dodging, and not waste it on attacks that wouldn't hurt that much. How to tell them apart is not something I'm particularly knowledgeable of.

It's a different way of doing tab-target combat, and whether it's better is simply a matter of opinion and playstyle. I agree with you in preferring TERA's method, but with some practice on my part and optimization on the game's part, I could also see myself having fun with GW2's.

Toxic Pickle on
    You are supposed to lock on in GW2 but you don't have to. Every ability can just be fired without a target. But yeah, the dodge roll is literally "x amount of time invincibility".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    I cant believe my rock race dude wears earings. Drilling holes in my ears hurt.

And what, when humans do it it doesn't? :P

Humans only need a needle, my rock person needs a BIG POWERFUL DRILL to make holes in his ears!! DRILLS!!!!!!!

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular

You can tab target but your projectiles or weapon arc still have to actually connect with the target to earn a hit. You don't have to physically aim like Tera though. You have to decide when and where to use attacks, though perhaps not for the same reason as in Tera.

Anyway, some questions then, if someone wants to indulge me:

How often do you fight BAMs? They look much more fun than the little mobs.

Not to be "Tera versus GW2" as such.. but I am interested in a comparison from those who have played both; I know Tera is somewhat more fluid/actiony which is fun, naturally, but how does the depth of combat compare? Alternatively, how does it compare to something like WoW? Do you have to adjust your play based on the enemies you are facing a lot?

Related to the previous question; how many ways are there to play each class (in terms of spec/strategy)?

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    How does PvP compared between GW2 and Tera?

PNA1v.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I get what he is saying. it's because of attack locks. when I was playing a lancer if I did my left click combo I did my left click combo, I could not move at all. lots of mmos have things like circle strafing while attacking.

OB chars are saved without a pre-order right?

Jars on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

You can tab target but your projectiles or weapon arc still have to actually connect with the target to earn a hit. You don't have to physically aim like Tera though. You have to decide when and where to use attacks, though perhaps not for the same reason as in Tera.

Not to be "Tera versus GW2" as such.. but I am interested in a comparison from those who have played both; I know Tera is somewhat more fluid/actiony which is fun, naturally, but how does the depth of combat compare? Alternatively, how does it compare to something like WoW? Do you have to adjust your play based on the enemies you are facing a lot?

Related to the previous question; how many ways are there to play each class (in terms of spec/strategy)?

It's hard to quantify in words without actually having done it. But for example, last night I did a dungeon called The Necromancer's Tomb and it was some of the most fun I've had dungeoning in an mmo in a long long time. The bosses had almost raid like mechanics due to the way combat works and it was very challenging and very thrilling.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Oh man, dungeons.

I can't wait to start running dungeons. That's one reason I've switched my proposed main from Archer to Lancer. Doesn't hurt that, while the ranged combat is fun, I find the melee combat to be much more engaging and fun.

But yes, dungeons. Don't really care about the instance's lore, to me it's all just an excuse to fight Big Amusing Monsters and Bosses anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I do not have the game. I only played in the TERA OBT and GW2 BWE. I'll try to give you a gleam of info based on the fact that I have played both, though:

TERA is fairly slow until early 20s. Before that fights can be very much tank and spank. It should be noted, though, that the leveling is quite quick and I was level 15ish after my first evening playing. It's not a brick wall, but difficulty gets increasingly higher to the point around mid-20s BAMs start showing up often, even being quest objectives, and even "normal" mobs start hitting hard. Hard enough that you have to dodge.

In GW2, at around the same point (I made it to 27 in TERA, 25 in GW2) I was still tank and spanking most encounters with the occasional dodge if I had a lot. And I was fine. I would try to dodge, but because synchronization seemed off so much, I would think I was dodging a skill but would still end up hit, even though the animation didn't complete or did, and I'd get hit after the dodge. Given that GW2 is much further from release, I hope much of this is resolved.

In terms of "frozen in place," GW2 has its fair share of that, too. I played a Guardian and multiple abilities I had, if I activated it and tried to move, it would cancel. One thing I did prefer about GW2 was an "auto attack" of your basic attack (don't believe TERA had one, but I may have missed it). You do stop more in TERA, though, as even your basic attack roots you (Mystic).

As for tactics, I only got the chance to try one dungeon, and I'm not sure if my tactics were changing, but I can tell you I didn't have a set rotation. Things felt very much reactionary as opposed to planned.

Edit: To add, By mid 20s there are two dungeons you can do in TERA and I got the opportunity to try one. And it was immensely fun. The first one in GW2 is at 30, which I was unable to achieve by the end of the BWE and so I have no idea how dungeon play works in GW2 (if I did get the chance and enjoyed it I would have pre-purchased, but without that experience I am not yet sold on GW2).

am0n on

Right but if I target an enemy in GW2 I don't have to aim right? If I target the enemy, and press "Flashy Spell X" it will travel to my target regardless of where I am looking correct? The enemy can then dodge it, or take the hit, or whatever, but I don't have to predict the enemy trajectory and fire my ranged attack at a location in front of the enemy to hit it correct?

As for your question about Tera, I can tell you from my experience as a Slayer I have to adjust how I attack pretty much each BAM individually. I mean I only have a limited number of skills but the timing involved and which skills I can get away with using before a big attack, versus which ones I can't really risk using in certain situations changes constantly. There is somewhat of a rotation involved I suppose but it really feels more like I have ot make decisions based on the here and now. I can knockdown strike followed by Overhand slash, but I then need to immediately use my stun jump back or I'll eat half my health. Once I do that i'll charge around the rear (since the BAM should be stunned) and try to get off my whirlwind slash before he has time to spin around and attack me. I'll finish the whirlwind slash and dodge through the BAM if I think he is about to attack, otherwise I'll follow up whirlwind slash with another overhand slash for more damage.

Stuff like that. My actions are decided based on what I see the BAM doing and how well I've studied his attacks and their tells. I have to factor in the animations of the moves I use and where I will end up in terms of positioning. Every action I take has a risk and weight behind it whether it is an attack, or even just movement in general. During combat movement is slowed down considerably and you really have to make constant adjustments and judgements about your positioning in reference to what the BAM is doing or is capable of doing.

delphinidaes.png
  • flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Beezel wrote: »

It's hard to quantify in words without actually having done it. But for example, last night I did a dungeon called The Necromancer's Tomb and it was some of the most fun I've had dungeoning in an mmo in a long long time. The bosses had almost raid like mechanics due to the way combat works and it was very challenging and very thrilling.

That NT run last night was super fun, I agree. Looking forward to being done with work and heading home to get some more time in.

flapjack on
    How many people in here have played extensive amounts of Monster Hunter games?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    How many people in here have played extensive amounts of Monster Hunter games?

me

and for statistics purposes, TERA combat ruined GW2 and SWTOR for me. Can't go back. I play games to have fun, and if they are fun to play, that's what grabs me, not RPG elements or story. when I press a button, I like that if it hits, it hits.That's why I played SWTOR for only 2 months and I won't play GW2 beyond last weekend because gameplay is really all that matters to me. which is why I love mass effect 3, I don't really give a fuck about the story other than funny/cool/badass situations happening. story doesn't grab me. I probably won't play an MMO that doesn't have combat in the vein of TERA again

I also LOVE fighting games, and the animation canceling in this game appeals to me greatly

different strokes and all that

Feels Good Man on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I played TERA, admittedly up to sub-20, and the combat bored me to tears. It feels a lot like Dynasty Warriors to me. Yeah, there's dodging and all that, but there's so many mobs that it just turns into a mindless grind.

What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I played TERA, admittedly up to sub-20, and the combat bored me to tears. It feels a lot like Dynasty Warriors to me. Yeah, there's dodging and all that, but there's so many mobs that it just turns into a mindless grind.

I've explained this before when you posted this same thing awhile back. The small mobs are there to be killed, they have little to no health and are the mindless drones sent to die on your blade. The real meat, and the real fun is in the BAMs which you never reached. When we are talking about the combat we are not referring to what you do against the small fries. For those, hell I gather them up and swing my sword twice, MAYBE three times to take them out. The combat we are talking about refers to the BAMs and is on a whole different level.

I would recommend giving the game a shot again and playing more than one day to get to that point should they offer a free trial of some sort but you seem fairly resolute in your opinion already.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I've explained this before when you posted this same thing awhile back. The small mobs are there to be killed, they have little to no health and are the mindless drones sent to die on your blade. The real meat, and the real fun is in the BAMs which you never reached. When we are talking about the combat we are not referring to what you do against the small fries. For those, hell I gather them up and swing my sword twice, MAYBE three times to take them out. The combat we are talking about refers to the BAMs and is on a whole different level.

I would recommend giving the game a shot again and playing more than one day to get to that point should they offer a free trial of some sort but you seem fairly resolute in your opinion already.

I played two days, and I put in around 6-8 hours. If a game isn't fun for the entirety of the first 6-8 hours, I have strong reason to believe that, even if there are some fun moments, there will be far, far more not fun moments, as far as I'm concerned. I know we discussed this way back in the thread, but this was a response to someone else specifically asking for a variety of opinions, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

If they give a free trial or something and I'm not playing a million other things, I may give it another shot. Honestly, though, if you can't hook me in the first 8 hours of gameplay (which I am playing WITH a buddy, not solo) then your game probably isn't FOR me.

What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2012
    yeah i mean you could say it's the fault of the game dev if the game didn't grab you early on, but 1-20 is the tutorial. and it's the fastest 1-20 in any MMO I've played, luckily. learn your moves, know how they work, how to be mobile. because then shit gets real

pvp is also a blast to me, but then again my main is a warrior and backstab exists

Feels Good Man on

I played two days, and I put in around 6-8 hours. If a game isn't fun for the entirety of the first 6-8 hours, I have strong reason to believe that, even if there are some fun moments, there will be far, far more not fun moments, as far as I'm concerned. I know we discussed this way back in the thread, but this was a response to someone else specifically asking for a variety of opinions, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

If they give a free trial or something and I'm not playing a million other things, I may give it another shot. Honestly, though, if you can't hook me in the first 8 hours of gameplay (which I am playing WITH a buddy, not solo) then your game probably isn't FOR me.

Hence: "but you seem fairly resolute in your opinion already."

delphinidaes.png
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Just as a contrast, I've put in around the same amount of time and I found the combat very enjoyable throughout. Interesting to read the various opinions on the game though.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
    yeah I'll go with the not FOR you

and klyka you have a quote in the op of the gw2 thread that says you'd pay double for the game if you could have it now, might be a lil bit of subconscious turf defense bro............ get on my level

FBWdA.gif

but yeah different strokes yall. I'm gonna go backstab some nerds with my fat dog ninja

This discussion has been closed.