As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

1939495969799»

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Oh man, dungeons.

I can't wait to start running dungeons. That's one reason I've switched my proposed main from Archer to Lancer. Doesn't hurt that, while the ranged combat is fun, I find the melee combat to be much more engaging and fun.

But yes, dungeons. Don't really care about the instance's lore, to me it's all just an excuse to fight Big Amusing Monsters and Bosses anyway.

So how many lancers have we got in the guild so far? I want to feel special, dammit! All you other upstart lancers stealing my thunder!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    How many people in here have played extensive amounts of Monster Hunter games?
    Here. Got about 50h on MHFU and some on Tri (limited local coop and terrible WiiSpeak support = much less playtime).
    I was actually playing some MHFU just now to get back into it, since a bunch of my friends picked it up, and I found myself wishing the combat flowed a bit more like TERA's. Still, smashing stuff in the face with a giant hammer never gets old.

• TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    Way to many Lancers.

Its making me want to reroll because while I know there will always be pugs that want me I don't want to find us stuck running 4 lancers 1 mystic instance groups later in the game.

Tornelco wrote: »
    Way to many Lancers.

Its making me want to reroll because while I know there will always be pugs that want me I don't want to find us stuck running 4 lancers 1 mystic instance groups later in the game.

Don't feed my altitis!!!! I was gonna stick with Romund to the end, but now you're making me reconsider! Damn yoooooooou!

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Don't talk to me about altitis. I've already made one of each class. Archer is 20, Lancer is 15, Warrior and Sorceror are both 4. I intend to play everything eventually. The rest are just there as name holders or new options to try out for a few minutes now and again. Slayer is probably next up to play a little.

Sorry to bring another Lancer to the guild, but I always like playing tanks or tankie dudes. I'd switch, except I really am using a blast with the play style and there's no real tank among the group of people I group up with most.

steam_sig.png
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    yeah i gotta agree with the whole combat against BAMs = whole other level entirely

when i first started fighting a BAM in the valley of the titans i died like three times in a row because i didn't understand that timings and exploiting the monster's attack patterns were super important

i mean sure, you dodge attacks early on but with BAMs it's like... you take a hit, whoops there goes half your health (or more)

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh man, dungeons.

I can't wait to start running dungeons. That's one reason I've switched my proposed main from Archer to Lancer. Doesn't hurt that, while the ranged combat is fun, I find the melee combat to be much more engaging and fun.

But yes, dungeons. Don't really care about the instance's lore, to me it's all just an excuse to fight Big Amusing Monsters and Bosses anyway.

So how many lancers have we got in the guild so far? I want to feel special, dammit! All you other upstart lancers stealing my thunder!

When asking this question, it should be phrased something like, "How many Lancers do we have in the guild above level 20? or 30?"

Because just making a Lancer to dick around is one thing, but actually having the desire to start going into instances and tank is something else entirely. Those of you who really want to be that class for the guild, I suggest sticking with it. Chances are, as people get into the higher levels, the number of available Lancers who want to tank tough instances will be fewer and fewer.

Toxic Pickle on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Duckets is the only lancer that matters. Everyone else is just pretending.

PS I'm thinking about doing a little lancer tanking tips/guide write-up thing to help out any aspiring tanks. That one in the OP doesn't really address too much how to actually PLAY the class, so I figured it might be useful. I just kinda wanted to gauge some interest in that sort of thing before I put in the effort. Yay or nay?

Defenestrator on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    My favorite part about being a slayer is the committal to an attack that you have to make. But with each attack, you'll dodge and weave all over the battlefield, making the game much less circle-strafy and much more reactionary and how you'll plan your moves based on where you'll be in relatiion to your enemy.

As an example, I can whirlwind slash through a cloud of minion enemies, up to the main mob. Here, because I want to get around behind him, I'll dodge-roll to his rear and, because of TERA's awesome combo system, follow that up with a knockdown strike. This will move me back up to the mob and probably a couple minions that didn't get hit in the initial whirlwind. Because I setup Knockdown Strike to be followed up with Overhand Slash, I hit space and slam the main mob into the ground. He staggers, and falls backward onto the ground. I follow-up my the overhand slash with a leaping strike to finish him off while he's prone.

And in boss battles, I'm actually an engaged force in the fight rather than just another rogue backstabbing a stationary boss. I've gotta dodge and weave and basically, it's God of War multiplayer.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    Duckets is the only lancer that matters, for he is the only one I love.

But seriously, I don't really enjoy tanking for anything I haven't over leveled and the soloing while fun just sort of feels slow. Why have I not rerolled yet?

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Duckets is the only lancer that matters. Everyone else is just pretending.

PS I'm thinking about doing a little lancer tanking tips/guide write-up thing to help out any aspiring tanks. That one in the OP doesn't really address too much how to actually PLAY the class, so I figured it might be useful. I just kinda wanted to gauge some interest in that sort of thing before I put in the effort. Yay or nay?

After having my eyes opened by that warrior video, I'm more than happy to learn from those who know what they're doing. I don't know how seriously I'll ever play my Lancer, but perhaps knowing what I'm doing will encourage me. Alternatively, seeing how much is involved might tell me I should probably put the class away and focus on something more suited to my skillset. :P

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Klyka wrote: »
    How many people in here have played extensive amounts of Monster Hunter games?

I want to answer this a bit more.

Warrior is pretty much SnS. Yes, I know, you'd think its duals but it doesn't play like that.

Slayer is more like Switchaxe. Except with the catch that doing moves in certain orders speeds up the execution of the follow move.

Both can dodge.

Lancer is actually pretty straight MHtri lancer, including shield smack, the charge and then a couple of extras like being able to leash/pull enemies and taunt for aggro. There is no backhop/sidestep though, which is lame, nor any real directional attacks.

Berserker plays more like GS, charge attacks and a poor man's block.

Both block.

Archer plays like run n gunning a MBG, they have a quick and fairly long distance backhop. their skills are pretty varied and are probably the class closest to having a 'rotation' as its basically just prancing around outside the bosses range and going through a cycle of attacks.

Sorc/Mystic/Priest I can say nothing of, but I'll assume they have no real MH comparison.

To be 100% fair, this isn't nearly as fluid or tactical as MH combat. There isn't much in the way of frame canceling, you can't do things like shield bash through projectiles or whatnot. I've not really seen, heard or noticed any kind of body part related damage. There are bombs you can throw but Ive yet to see anything like traps or lures.

So really it's more like the slightly clunkier combat of MHF2, not quite up to Tri standards, but fantastic at what it does and definitely has its own flow.

Edit: Oh, also, rolled an Archer, shits fun. pew pew panzer dragooooooooon.

I have no idea what else to roll. I'm thinking maybe a warrior, but having two tanks seems dumb.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    warriors aren't really tanks anyways

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    OOOH DISS

So guys since this is the first thread I've made that's gone anywhere, how does this work? do I just make a new one at 100?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Hm, I felt like TERA's combat flowed far better than MH's, to be honest. The latter is more punishing, but that's not necessarily better. For example, I've no love for MH's tendency to get you chainstunned to death. Or its "flip a coin" aggro system that, while more reactionary, is also less tactical when it comes to teamplay.
    Basically, TERA's combat is good enough for me to play and enjoy it alone. MH, I can only stand in short bursts, all the fun comes from playing in a team. I guess at some point people get good enough to basically do crazy stuff to bosses, but at my skill level it's a case of "learn tells, then attack when it's safe before dodging to safety", all of which TERA provides, except with many more moves, a fun chaining system of said moves that encourages you to be more active than just using your most damaging&safest move and more mobility. I wish a heavy class in MH was as mobile as my Slayer got.

• FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    Blegh. Bought the game yesterday, start playing this morning, get a fraud alert call from my credit card company this afternoon. I logout to deal with that and they say I was charged the $50 for the game then two attempts were made at $15, one of them was auto-declined for whatever reason. Tell them that the $50 + one $15 is fine, go to log back in, says my sub doesn't exist.

Off to a great start here with that free month. Weeee waiting for tickets.

MOBA DOTA.
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    FightTest wrote: »
    Blegh. Bought the game yesterday, start playing this morning, get a fraud alert call from my credit card company this afternoon. I logout to deal with that and they say I was charged the $50 for the game then two attempts were made at $15, one of them was auto-declined for whatever reason. Tell them that the $50 + one $15 is fine, go to log back in, says my sub doesn't exist.

Off to a great start here with that free month. Weeee waiting for tickets.

Luckily EME has some of the best support i've seen in a game to date.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Oh man, dungeons.

When asking this question, it should be phrased something like, "How many Lancers do we have in the guild above level 20? or 30?"

Because just making a Lancer to dick around is one thing, but actually having the desire to start going into instances and tank is something else entirely. Those of you who really want to be that class for the guild, I suggest sticking with it. Chances are, as people get into the higher levels, the number of available Lancers who want to tank tough instances will be fewer and fewer.

This. New MMOs come out and there is a influx of tanks because "oh yeah, there is a queue system so I want instant groups!" but most of those people will either be bad and will be forced out of the role, or will get bored/dislike it. By max levels, those people are weeded out of the pool.

I'm one of those hardcore tank types that does it every MMO and loves it, so I went Lancer and will play it as long as I play the game, for sure. If I decide to stick with it, or I can convince my wife to get over her hatred of the female armor designs, I will definitely ask for a guild invite... but I'm not sure if I'm just going to toss it aside for D3 when it comes out so we can play something together again

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    Beezel wrote: »
    OOOH DISS

So guys since this is the first thread I've made that's gone anywhere, how does this work? do I just make a new one at 100?

If you make a new thread before the old one is locked put a link in the new thread showing where the old came from and a link in the old thread showing where the right (new) place to post is.

Be cool about it all and the mods typically don't bat eyelashes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    As far as the guild goes, yes, we have infinite lancers.

However, Our server constitutes exactly 100% of the lancer population.

And since LFG is indeed cross-server, instant groups are instant still.

• ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just got kicked out of the game as we pulled the final boss in Cultist's Refuge because my "game time expired." This, of course, kills the group, too, since I am the healer

5 hour wait on live support, can't call their hotlines without paying massive amounts of money (no, skype nor google voice do not work, I am from Norway).

I am starting to get really pissed off at this game.

Paragon on
    Paragon wrote: »
    Just got kicked out of the game as we pulled the final boss in Cultist's Refuge because my "game time expired." This, of course, kills the group, too, since I am the healer

5 hour wait on live support, can't call their hotlines without paying massive amounts of money (no, skype nor google voice do not work, I am from Norway).

I am starting to get really pissed off at this game.

Try their live chat support, it works fine, and I got service right away.

There are 650 people in queue before me, and last time I went through this crap there were 370 and took 3 1/2 hours.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yep, I'm in the same boat

I submitted a ticket too, because I doubt I'll get through queue before I need to pass out (I should be doing that now basically)

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    it seems like the story quest level is lower than the zone quest levels, but same mobs. odd.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Got my first super huge crits tonight on my lvl 38 Berserker.

38K Thunder Strike followed up about 30seconds later by a 44.5k Thunder Strike.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • VargVarg Registered User regular
    As a note - getting all three gathering skills to cap (300) gets you an extra line of inventory. At 56, you get a quest to trade in 50 of each plant/ore/essence from each tier to various npcs which at the end gives you another line of inventory. The quest started in Kiator but did not mention a reward but we did it anyways~

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Varg wrote: »
    As a note - getting all three gathering skills to cap (300) gets you an extra line of inventory. At 56, you get a quest to trade in 50 of each plant/ore/essence from each tier to various npcs which at the end gives you another line of inventory. The quest started in Kiator but did not mention a reward but we did it anyways~

y...you're level 56?

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • VargVarg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    58. My friend and I were attempting server first lancer/mystic for the titles but there were 2 quest gaps at 52.5-53 and 55.3-56. We were leading til the 52 gap and caught back up at 55 but a group of four was capable of dungeon running self-sufficiently. The dungeon group finder was not much of a help even for a tank/healer, mid-50s, late late tuesday night unfortunately but understandably.

Varg on
    Remember how 5 hours ago I said I entered live queue? Well, I was just number 4 in queue. Guess what it says now, it's really funny, actually:
    There are no agents available to chat with you right now. Please try again later.

Are they drunk?

• pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    Played for the first time tonight. Having a hard time choosing between warrior and sorcerer.

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    I'm at 52 myself, and I heard there were some gaps coming up. Not too happy to hear that...Might alt it up a bit and wait for guildies to catch up.

I waited 2 hours in queue at 51 for Golden Labyrinth, when I finally got a group, the tank left immediately and left us 4 to do the entire dungeon. I died 7 times, and so did the healer but we eventually cleared it.

There are not nearly enough lancers around.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

My first reaction was "that's pretty subdued for TERA".

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    New Thread up, Post there instead of here and share your stories :O

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Thread here.

This discussion has been closed.