As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Australia and New Zealand Penny Arcade Xcursion TM - BrissyPAX 4/6/11

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've heard people talking about Catan in here before, is that what y'all where playing at AusPax? I'd be interested in something like that, I think.

My other thought was maybe setting up a game of poker sometime, I reckon that'd be good fun

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We played Forbidden Island on Saturday, that was fun.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    :( sorry Butler

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, there were a few games of Catan at AusPAX.

It was the first real successful Euro-style game that really kicked off the current wave of board game revival. I pretty much divide all board games into pre-Catan and post-Catan catagories. It's a solid introduction to modern games for those people who were raised on the same Snakes + Ladders / Monopoly / other games that have been around since their grandparent's time. Not too complicated, familiar enough to grasp the core concepts behind the gameplay, but still engrossing enough and different enough each play to be a fresh experience each time. The simplicity of the rules mean that even first-timers can grasp winning strategies, however there's an undercurrent of luck and tactics that means even experienced players can find a degree of depth and subtlety. It has a few weak points - the first round is absolutely critical and experienced players can take half an hour to get through initial city placement, but overall it's a good game of cutthroat expansion and resource management where there can be only one winner.

So yeah, it's a good start point, particularly if you like Monopoly.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Forbidden Island is one of those great games where you can have real fun with variants without breaking core gameplay. Even something as simple as changing the Island layout (There are some 'official' variant layouts printed in the German-language rule book) can give you a totally different experience.

There's also a few interesting alternate classes floating around on the internet. I haven't tried any yet, but a few of them look kinda interesting.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Or more we played, then every three minutes we would yell, "Niall it's your turn" then you would do what we told you to do.

Also, don't act like I have google image searched Ms Hendricks before.

Blake T on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Forbidden Island can be a bit weird though.

Nothing against anyone, but it's a game that invites dominant personalities to take on leadership roles... and it's generally fine, but sometimes it almost becomes one person telling everyone else what to do, and everyone else just moving the pieces around according to those instructions. So it feels like there's less collaboration.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, after you play Forbbiden Island a few times in a row it can be a bit, well, on autoplay. It kinda plays itself because there's usually a good optimal move.

Recently picked up Ca$h'n'Gun$. It'd be really interesting to alternate between that and Forbidden Island, I think. Both are 10-20 minute games with simple gameplay mechanics, but where Forbidden Island is all about co-operation and perfect information, Ca$h'n'Gun$ is about bluffing and backstabbing and Mexican standoffs. It's like the board game night equivalent of Thai Sweet Chilli on Cottage Cheese.

Fishman on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After AusPAX, I really wanted to get my hands on some board-games, so I ended up getting Betrayal at House on the Hill and Castle Ravenloft last Christmas.

I haven't had a chance to play them yet, unfortunately, but I'm hoping I can soon.

Flay on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Carcassonne

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah we got the Carcassonne Big Box (the latest one) almost right after we got back from AusPAX

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Carcassonne is a damn fine game. Except I can never remember how to spell it.

Fishman on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pfft get a real board game going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Z1Kfk-2sc

(I actually had a different VHS game which was for kids and involved a giant mouse making you hop on one foot)
    Oh and Nightmare is 1992, almost 20 years old what the fuck D:

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    YES MY GATEKEEPER

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Although Carcassonne is awesome with a large pool of players and lots of backstabbing and edging in on people's territory (I still maintain that I almost took everyone on at once then made Josh lose without even playing) it is surprising good playing with just 2 people and the base set.

I had a stint early this year after AUSPAX playing against a lot of European players on this website that has its own client you can download called "Brettspiel Welt".

Everyone plays the odds on pieces and it gets pretty intense. Except then when I need one piece, that there are like 6 left in the deck (90 degree road turn) and my opponent gets them all, I get really mad inside.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Everyone plays the odds on pieces and it gets pretty intense. Except then when I need one piece, that there are like 6 left in the deck (90 degree road turn) and my opponent gets them all, I get really mad inside.

I just snorted water over my office floor at this last part.

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't worry Tef, since I'm playing the odds over a large enough sample I'm statistically mad less often than not.

E: Fucking damnit, I was gonna screencap the end of a Carcassonne game after it finished, then some other guy who wasn't playing jumped in to immediately in a lobby he hadn't been in, erasing the board, then leaving 5 seconds later after he got impatient that no one had joined up.

I had locked down 100% of my opponent's pieces, I was happy with it.

I was playing with essentially 1 piece picking up points for the last 20 turns while he had none he could get back. Scrounging points forever.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    God I am the worst at Carcassonne

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's ok, my son. I'll let this one slide

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had a dream last night that I was trying to teach Viv how to levitate by concentrating (in the dream Viv looked like Psylocke in her avatar), but she wouldn't because she was afraid of heights. I said she should keep her eyes closed and get Blake to hold her hand.

Her response was, and I quote, "I can't, he'll try to fart on my head."

Butler on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That is twice on one page I have Laughed Out Loud, what a day it's been!

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    here is a tip I learned tonight

Don't try to play ice hockey after a big spaghetti dinner.

#pipe on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh my god you stupid banana

I feel nauseous thinking about

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    aint gonna lie

puked a little bit

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did you do one of those spaghetti pukes where you didn't chew it well enough and there's a piece of spaghetti only halfway out your throat and you have to decide whether to pull it out and get puke on your hands or bite the end off and swallow the bit still in your mouth?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did you do one of those spaghetti pukes where you didn't chew it well enough and there's a piece of spaghetti only halfway out your throat and you have to decide whether to pull it out and get puke on your hands or bite the end off and swallow the bit still in your mouth?

Chew your damn food...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

no

#pipe on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    YOU'VE SEEN BAND OF BROTHERS.

DIDN'T DAVID SCHIWMMER TEACH YOU ANYTHING?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I once ate spiral pasta.

True story.

About forty five minutes later I sneezed and a perfectly formed, unchewed piece of pasta came out of my nose.

To this day I am unsure exactly how this happened.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What is the best pasta?

I hate spirals and shells.

I like elbows.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the best pasta is Capellini
    or maybe Bucatini
    or Orecchiette
    or Ditalini
    or Gnocchi

you know what it's all good.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Man, I never know which pasta is which.

I know spaghetti and big elbows and little elbows.

Though I would like to learn to make my own pasta.

I've been meaning to buy a machine for a while but I keep having expensive one off purchases that I keep having to make like I just bought a new pair of work shoes. (that hopefully will not fall apart after six months)

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    or maybe Bucatini
    or Orecchiette
    or Ditalini
    or Gnocchi

Gnocchi is the only one of those names I actually recognise, and yes, it is great.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Spiral pasta is good because it holds the sauce well and is easy to pick up with a fork.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    homemade pasta is so easy and so tasty. It's one of those things that once you learn (very easy) and do regularly you'll be all, "man, I can't even imagine buying packet pasta again". I should say I'm not a wanker about this kind of thing and I have no problem with packaged pasta and eat it all the time at work with no complaints; it's just that making your own is so damn easy.

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I made homemade pasta once.

It was a disaster. I think I need someone to show me how to make it properly.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are we talking like, actually making your own shaped pasta

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I know tef. But a pasta making is one of those things that is always on the back burner for things to buy.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nah, any type of homemade pasta is fine.

My pasta machine also does ravioli but I'm not going anywhere near that setting without figuring out long pasta first.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    or maybe Bucatini
    or Orecchiette
    or Ditalini
    or Gnocchi

Gnocchi is the only one of those names I actually recognise, and yes, it is great.

Capellini means "Thin Hair" - super thin spaghetti also called Angel Hair
    Bucatini comes from Bucato which means "Pierced" - it is thick spaghetti that is hollow in the middle
    Orecchiette means "Little Ears" - they are like bigger, flatter thicker shells
    Ditalini means "Little Thimbles" - they're like little O shapes. Like small short penne.

#pipe on
This discussion has been closed.