As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SC2: Nazacra current WFC!!! Dhal vs Kedinik showmatch Friday 8th April 7pm PST!!

DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdooryou're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
poster-1.png

command.jpg

Artwork provided by forum member Wakkawa. Visit his site and buy some amazing work at inexpensive prices. Commissions available!

The Starcraft II discussion thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbAT1wzS8U

MNC Dover and the SC2 thread people proudly present:

The Weekly Forum Challenge!
-What the hell is the Weekly Forum Challenge (WFC)?

The WFC is a new idea I came up with that will pit one forum member against everyone else in the forum. Basically, you apply to be in the WFC and when your name is called, you take on everyone else in the forum.

-Huh? Why would I want to do that?

Because it's fun, keeps the forum more interactive, and allows you to improve your game by playing a lot of different playstyles.

-OK, who do I play against?

Everyone. It doesn't matter if your Bronze or Master, these games are no ranks barred. Yeah, if you're a Bronze level player you'll probably get splattered, but you will be learning something and have a set of replays from which to study. You could use this opportunity to practice a single build and see how it fares against several other types of builds. Either way, it will be a good learning experience and fun!

-Sounds interesting....what are the rules?

If your name is called, you will take all invites from Sunday to Saturday that week. Opponents can challenge you via forum posts, PM's, or on B.Net. You must try your best to take on every challenge, so be prepared to spend a few hours on b.net during your week.

-I'm only a Bronze leaguer. I'll get squashed so I don't want to enter.

Hold on there a minute, I'm not done yet. Any WFC entrant can request a live-coach regardless of their rank. Yes, any rank. The coach may only give advice during play in ally chat to you and you cannot ask questions. The coach also cannot tell you what the enemy is doing or steer your build to screw over the enemy. Only tips like, watching your supply counts, build more structures, drone up, scout, expo, spend money, etc. The coach can be anyone the WFC wants and can change from game to game. You can talk with your coach before and after games to discuss strats, build orders, and the like.

-Awesome! I think I want to participate. How do I enter?

PM a message to me with "WFC" as the title and the following information:

-Forum name
-B.Net ID with 3 digit code
-Race played (please only use one to reduce headaches)
-Rank
-Do you want a coach?
-Timezone (easy conversions for us lazy Americans please)
-At least three different weeks you want to apply for with your most favorable choice first (example: 03/20-03/26, 03/27- 04/05, and 04/13-04/19)
-Your choice of how you want to play matches, either bo1 or bo3

-Great, I sent out the information and got accepted. Now what?

Now you have to openly accept challenges from the forum. Post the time or times you will make yourself available for matches. Other people can set-up appointments for matches or play however you choose. If you only want to accept appointments great, if not, you can do a first come, first pwned set-up.

-What maps do we play on?

For bo1's, the WFC player gets to choose the map. Sorry folks, that's the advantage of manning up and taking on all comers. For bo3's, the first game is on Shakura's Plateau with the loser choosing the next map from the official Blizzard Ladder pool. Yes this means the maps may change over time. We'll manage.

-What happens when my week is over?

You gather up all your replays, name them "WFC vs (insert enemy name), add them to gamereplays.org (info found in the OP), and then post EVERY SINGLE GAME into a single spoilered post. The thread creator will add your games into the OP and they'll stay there until the next person's turn is over.

-When does all this begin?

How does this Sunday sound? I'm taking applications now!

-I had an emergency mid-week! What do I do?

No biggie, we all understand that real life stuff happens. Let everyone know and I'll do my best to find someone to fill in the spot. No problem at all.

-Anything else?

Glad you asked. I really think this can be fun, especially if we have some of our more charismatic people bring some light-hearted, jaw-jacking to the table. I'd also really like it if some of the lower ranked players step up and give this a go. In reality, it's no different then playing against PA people anyway, but now it will have more of a focus. You can have a target on your back which might change the way you play by adding or removing pressure.

ABOVE ALL, I just want everyone to have fun and play more SC2. :D

So, who's in?

WFC #3

Our third WFC player will be Nazacra! Here's his info:

Forum name: Nazacra
B.net id: Nazacra.554
Race: Zerg
Coaching: Don't want a coach
Time Zone: GMT+10 or 14 hours ahead of EST (ex. 10am EST is midnight there)
Match format: Bo1

Challenge Nazacra sending him a PM, post, or b.net message to set up times!

Join in on weekly tournament fun. Two tournaments available, one for lower leagues and one for the higher leagues.

logotitle.png

Replay of the day!

A new feature where the thread creator will grab a random replay posted in the thread and feature it here on the front page. Make sure to upload your replay submissions to submit your replay using gamereplays.org.

repimg-33-200263.jpg

Start here to better craft some stars.
The SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff (usually brought to you by the letter S and the number 86). In order to keep up, I highly recommend you bookmark the following sites:

The Day[9] Daily Live Stream. Sean "Day9" Plott is an 11 year Starcraft veteran, so he knows his shit. He does a live stream Sunday through Thursday that airs 7pm PST/10pm EST. If you miss a stream, you can watch it, and every other streams he's ever done, in his archives. BOOKMARK HIS SITES! You will not be disappointed.

State of the Game A weekly podcast hosted by Day[9], JP, Tyler, and inControl. If you don't know who these people are, you clearly aren't watching enough SC2 tournament stuff. Just bookmark the damn site and listen to it on the go.

HD Starcraft. Good site for beginners to learn from and watch higher end players as well. Being Youtube videos, you can fast forward and rewind to help learn strategies and build orders.

HuskyStarcraft. The brother site of HD Starcraft. Another good site for watching videos of foreign tournaments and for general learning by watching pros.

Gretorp's live stream. A high level Terran player who has amassed quite a following.

Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.

Starcraft II Liquipedia. Team Liquid has created a wikipedia site for everything SC2 related. This will be updated as time goes on and all information found here should be legit as possible.

Team Liquid Tournament Tracker. Want to play in some SC2 tournaments? Bookmark this link to see what's running now and upcoming in the future.

GOM TV.net. The only officially Blizzard backed tournament spot in Korea. Has a dedicated pair of English casters in the form of Artosis and Nick "Tastless" Plott, Day[9]'s older brother. Great high-end play to be found here. No really, watch this if you've never seen how insane the Korean's take to SC2.

Zerg help with pro player Eg.Machine. Here are three videos featuring opening builds and other great information when playing as Zerg. Each video is an hour long and will help you go a long way at improving your Zerg gameplay. Help with ZvP here, ZvT here, and ZvZ here.

Common timings and when they hit. Exactly what it sounds like.

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people. Easy, follow these 5 simple steps.
1) Start by joining the master PA friend list. DO THIS FIRST. It also doesn't hurt to add your battle.net ID into your signature. If you can't do either of these, then we don't want to be your friend.

2) Bookmark the PA SC2 master list. This will help you find other players without begging in thread for other players to play against. It will also help you find other players to help practice with that are in your skill range. If you use the "view" -> "list view" options found at the top, you can reorganize the list to help you find what you need. On the list view page, you can click on the pull down tabs to look at just players of a certain race or rank. Whatever you want. Use this resource!

3) Sign up to gamereplays.org. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. The site also gives you an awesome image when you link it to the forum making it stand out more.

4) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA.

5) The PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand in the standings amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

A list of other PA related SC2 stuff.
Help guides for new players painstakingly created by fellow forum goers. Please read these first before asking questions.

Livestream for our friend Exoplasm. Good quality. Watch it.

Livestream for our friend Trus. Beware of loud music. :D

Livestream for our friend Ash. Broadcasting the SC2 Arcadia tournaments.

Livestream for our friend Seguer. Broadcasting the PA SC2 tournaments, usually Curvy Star League (CSL). Beware of Anime/JPOP/KPOP music!

PA SC2 Steam Group. A great place to meet up with other PA forum people and set up games, talk strats, or just bullshit around. This is the most common place for us all to meet before big tournaments and stuff. Very useful!

Dhalphir on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I claim an OP for the first time ever!

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    someone post a replay for the new replay of the day so that I don't look like a whore by posting one of my own

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    grats!

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The sc2 thread: 30% shittier because it's owned by dhal now!

jk ^_^

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh snap, Dhal fightttinngggg

In the last thread, I got over my fear of ladder and went on a 4 game winning streak because of it!

THE WONDERS OF TRAINING ARE PAYING OFF!

Kami on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Con't
    kedinik wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Er, where did you get "exclude Koreans" from Catz post there?

The part where he says that it's better for esports to exclude your MCs and popularize your ROOT.Kiwikaki's. That part.

It was 70% "let's rise to their level", and then 30% "which of course means we shouldn't have to directly compete with them in the NASL."

It's a bit subtle but it's there.

Read it again.
    I am not saying koreans should be just excluded from all international events, but the truth is, the only way to make esports successful is to create a competitive enviroment, where I am scared of playing KiWiKaKi not MC. Need our own 'stars' our own prizes and our own incentives on this side of the world. Need to create an enviroment where people aren't looking to move to korea, but instead move to this side of the map, like IdrA did.

There should be events like this one or WCG or many others where there are opportunities for people all over the world to face each other, but we need to create some sort of separation as an incentive to "foreigners" to train and improve in a similar enviroment as they have setup in korea.

I don't think that's what he's saying in the slightest.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    someone post a replay for the new replay of the day so that I don't look like a whore by posting one of my own

5 seconds, finding one where I carpet bomb some protoss.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    MCcheer.jpg

Found on his twitter.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Con't

The part where he says that it's better for esports to exclude your MCs and popularize your ROOT.Kiwikaki's. That part.

It was 70% "let's rise to their level", and then 30% "which of course means we shouldn't have to directly compete with them in the NASL."

Read it again.
    I am not saying koreans should be just excluded from all international events, but the truth is, the only way to make esports successful is to create a competitive enviroment, where I am scared of playing KiWiKaKi not MC. Need our own 'stars' our own prizes and our own incentives on this side of the world. Need to create an enviroment where people aren't looking to move to korea, but instead move to this side of the map, like IdrA did.

There should be events like this one or WCG or many others where there are opportunities for people all over the world to face each other, but we need to create some sort of separation as an incentive to "foreigners" to train and improve in a similar enviroment as they have setup in korea.

Yeah Kedinik I think you're misinterpreting his statements. Catz even flat out says he's not saying the Koreans should be excluded, simply that we need our own stars, and our own scene, rather than having a pale shadow of the Korean scene, and for all true success to require going to Korea.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "...we need to create some sort of separation..."

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    "...we need to create some sort of separation..."

Much like what the GSL has? Where you have to be IN Korea in order to compete in it? None of this online playoffs stuff.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So that there are less Koreans?

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh Snap, Dhal finally has a thread.

The end is nigh.

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    Oh Snap, Dhal finally has a thread.

The end is nigh.

First I ladder, then foreigners stomp Koreans in GSL, now Dhal made a thread

We live in a brave new world

Kami on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    dhal/other protoss:

I need you as a practice partner sometime this week

edit: fixing up the bad midnight english.

PoolCue on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So that there are less Koreans?

So that the NASL is, you know, about having the NA as its focus?

Much like the GSL is for Korea?

I don't really see any problem with that, since it doesn't stop Koreans from going over there and competing.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Con't

Read it again.

Yeah actually the stuff that you quoted explicitly argues for the intentional exclusion of Koreans from western events.

"Now I'm not arguing for the exclusion of Koreans, but... ...we need to create some sort of separation..."

It's the exact same verbal trick used to slip some racism/sexism/etc into a conversation while pretending you're not culpable for the statement.

"Now I'm not racist, but [something reasonable], [something a little racist], [something reasonable]."

Or in this case.

"Now I'm not arguing for the exclusion of Koreans, but honestly [we need to improve as players], [we need to exclude Koreans], [we need to work hard to improve]."

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A good game finally.

repimg-33-199079.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PoolCue wrote: »
    dhal/other protoss:

i can play now if you're free

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Con't

Read it again.

Yeah actually the stuff that you quoted explicitly argues for the intentional exclusion of Koreans from western events.

"Now I'm not arguing for the exclusion of Koreans, but... ...we need to create some sort of separation..."

It's the exact same verbal trick used to slip some racism/sexism/etc into a conversation while pretending you're not culpable for the statement.

"Now I'm not racist, but [something reasonable], [something a little racist], [something reasonable]."

Or in this case.

"Now I'm not arguing for the exclusion of Koreans, but honestly [we need to improve as players], [we need to exclude Koreans], [we need to work hard to improve]."

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I suppose I'm more willing to give him the benifit of the doubt than you are.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm just going on the fact that he's calling for separation, exclusive incentives for western players, his own protected esports environment.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PoolCue wrote: »
    dhal/other protoss:

i can play now if you're free

Jeez you say this but aren't on for me to have a few games with if Cue can't. :(

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm just going on the fact that he's calling for separation, exclusive incentives for western players, his own protected esports environment.

I think you're jumping to conclusions about exactly what he means.

In paticular that last bit. I can't see where you get that idea from in the very slightest.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't know where you got the last two from his post but I guarantee you thats not what he meant.

And I don't think the separation in his post means what you think it does. All it means is that he doesn't want the only goal for NA progamers to be Korea. He wants the stars like HuK and Jinro to have incentives to stay here and be stars here for the amateurs to look up to. Stars competing in local tournaments (or at least NA tournaments), who the NA players can aspire to practise to become.

edit: those incentives being a strong tournament, not bribe-like incentives.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I took all three of those phrases directly from his quote. These are not things that I'm imagining or inferring.

But I'll stop beating this horse to death.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    1) he didn't say exclusive incentives, and I have no idea what you're assuming he means by incentives.

2) "Need to create an enviroment where people aren't looking to move to korea" does not mean "protected environment" so I don't know where the hell you got that from

Basically Kedinik, you're reading into this in a way that doesn't exist. Catz is a huge douche, but he's absolutely right.

North America needs a GSL of its own, to provide a counterpart to the Korean scene, encouraging amateur players to step up even with no intentions of going to Korea, to encourage the grassroots movement here, and provide an environment where we can get the same sort of setup (team houses, etc) going in NA as Korea has. It will be a lot harder in NA due to geographical locations, but not impossible.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Basically what Catz is arguing for is creating a North American overall Starcraft 2 scene to match the Korean scene. And he's not arguing to do that by disparaging and putting down the Korean scene, but by supporting and promoting the US one.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I can think of how sick a NASL vs. GSL month would be

Like a grand clash of titans

Kami on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are the VODs for the world championships up yet? I can't seem to find them.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kami wrote: »
    I can think of how sick a NASL vs. GSL month would be

Like a grand clash of titans

Yes

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For Dhal's eyes only.
    He talks about incentives available only to westerners, twice no less.

Says there should be a separation of the two scenes.

And states that separating out Koreans and providing incentives to westerners is the only way to grow an environment where western gamers can exceed Korean gamers.

That's literally the definition of protectionism; you'll have to pardon me the liberty of applying an absurdly appropriate adjective.

Dude worked very hard to create a reasonable sounding argument, where at its core he's appealing to xenophobia and economic illiteracy for the sake of making his own career easier.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Examples of the ling/baneling style that I'm refining in zvp. The first game is against heavy gateway, the second is against a standard 3 gate expand, and the third is against heavy stargate (after he sees that I refuse to make hydralisks).

repimg-33-199082.jpg

repimg-33-199083.jpg

repimg-33-199084.jpg

Kambing on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am now Hill

Be warned, be knowledgeable, Be safe

2236113-1.png?1301321794

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For Dhal's eyes only.
    He talks about incentives available only to westerners, twice no less.

Says there should be a separation of the two scenes.

And states that separating out Koreans and providing incentives to westerners is the only way to grow an environment where western gamers can exceed Korean gamers.

That's literally the definition of protectionism; you'll have to pardon me the liberty of applying an absurdly appropriate adjective.

Dude worked very hard to create a reasonable sounding argument, where at its core he's appealing to xenophobia and economic illiteracy for the sake of making his own career easier.

lol

Anzekay on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So how about Idra being an arrogant assclown and getting knocked out in the RO32

Robman on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am now Hill

2236113-1.png?1301321794

I was wondering who the hell this was

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If you don't get "foreigners shouldn't have to play Koreans in foreign tournaments, as I think it will improve the competition in the foreign scene and thereby give foreigners an incentive to improve (which they wouldn't get if they got walked over by MC in every tournament)" out of CatZ's post then I don't think I'm ever going to understand why.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I haven;'t touched SC2 in about....4 months? 6 months? Something like that. It's been a while. I'm wondering what's changed recently, what's going on in SC2. I kinda miss it and want to get involved again once school dies down and finals are over next month. Heck, I think I haven't posted in the last 2 SC2 threads.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So, I haven;'t touched SC2 in about....4 months? 6 months? Something like that. It's been a while. I'm wondering what's changed recently, what's going on in SC2. I kinda miss it and want to get involved again once school dies down and finals are over next month. Heck, I think I haven't posted in the last 2 SC2 threads.

Zerg OP, Terran OP, Protoss nerfed and now losing everything, especially when they try to 6gate or go for colossus.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I am now Hill

2236113-1.png?1301321794

I was wondering who the hell this was

CHANGE YOUR NAME TO MOUNTAIN!

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III