As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photo-Graphy, it's pretty neat. (NSF56k)

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    333hi11.png

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    i2ony0.png

I have more, but I am to lazy feeling right now to edit them.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    We're interviewing for my replacement at work before I head off to Canada in a couple months

and we're hoping for someone who's a good designer and at least proficient enough with a camera to do what I do, which is not very complicated.

The two people we're probably going to choose from both have degrees in design AND photography, but neither of them own a DSLR. They're both like "Oh I'm more used to shooting with a Digital Point and Shoot, I haven't really used an SLR since college"

When the first guy said it I was a little surprised. When the second said it I was shocked.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    kids these days...

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ...and this is why you should hire me! :D

• Options
    edited July 2012
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRR....... BOOM CRACK POW BAM SHHHHHHAW BLAM BOOM!

Fireworks over Tulsa, OK

fu2geq.png
    ngdq1.png
    2ztez41.png
    350nzwi.png
    18291e.png
    69lwma.png

....And here is a junk shot I took before framing the skyline up properly.

2uqc1s1.png

Shot with my T2i and my 55-250 Canon lens.

Chimera on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I miss concert photography.

IMG_5400_BLOG.jpg

IMG_5425_SMALL.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    Wow! Those are AMAZING! :D

• Options
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Those are some well-taken shots of the worst thing ever...

• Options
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Yes. That Slippery When Wet one, right?

• Options
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'll throw in the praise Sheri. You're really good at making bad subjects look good. ;-)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    beauVSIIbeauVSII Registered User regular
    Been trying to take some long exposure shots of the stars, had a clear night out but it's just not working, I've only got basic gear:

*Cannon 600D
    *EF-S 18-55m f 3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
    *EF-S 55-200mm f 4 -5.6 IS Lens
    *Tripod
    *Remote

I'm very new to the game, i was shooting in bulb mode, ISO 100, Apeture 5.6, Manual Focus..With both the lenses i could just make out the stars even though they were bright to the visible eye and when i took the shot i got pitch black, Are these lenses too poor for shooting stars or was i using incorrect settings?

"And i was like, Yeah Bitch - I'm Having this!"
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    How long is the exposure?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    beauVSII wrote: »
    Been trying to take some long exposure shots of the stars, had a clear night out but it's just not working, I've only got basic gear:

*Cannon 600D
    *EF-S 18-55m f 3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
    *EF-S 55-200mm f 4 -5.6 IS Lens
    *Tripod
    *Remote

I'm very new to the game, i was shooting in bulb mode, ISO 100, Apeture 5.6, Manual Focus..With both the lenses i could just make out the stars even though they were bright to the visible eye and when i took the shot i got pitch black, Are these lenses too poor for shooting stars or was i using incorrect settings?

What is your goal, are you shooting for star trails or just a stand alone shot?

Most likely your issue is that you are either to close to light pollution, or you need to leave your shutter open longer.

• Options
    You may also try bumping up the ISO but going to high will make the image noisy.

• Options
    Home, sweet home.

hsjehf.png

• Options
    Yeah, noise sucks, but you want to be in an area with low enough light pollution that you can't make out much noise because of all the damn stars.

A friend of mine is an amateur astrophotographer (for a day job, he's a heart surgeon). Here are a couple of his with tech details below:

563252_555670546798_1274933470_n.jpg
    60 sec exposure with a Canon 5DmkII and 17-40 mm f/4L at 17 mm, f/4, ISO 6400 using a fixed tripod.

564622_555897736508_215329976_n.jpg
    Panorama stitched using Photoshop, consisting of five panels: each taken with a Canon 5DmkII and 14 mm f/2.8L II at 30 sec, f/2.8, ISO 3200 on a fixed tripod

And a bonus shot from his wicked telescope and equatorial mount
    428406_563302976348_1303469740_n.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    EOS D60, good camera for a newbie enthusiast? This person took photography class in highschool, but is far from 'expert'...

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    428406_563302976348_1303469740_n.jpg

Wow, what is that?

• Options
  • Options
    Btw, I forgot to mention that the photo I posted above of the Tulsa skyline is an HDR image. To give you an example of what the HDR image looks like when compared to a single shot long exposure I have made a comparison of both an HDR image I took last night and just a single long exposure bellow. Tell me which of the two you prefer.

1409m5f.png

This was shot with my Canon T2i and my Canon 55-250 lens. If memory serves me right, the long exposure was shot at 100 ISO for 1:20 at F22. To see where I took this shot, check out my tumbler. I had to tread out into the middle of the river to get this shot which felt pretty good since the weather has been so hot out here.

Tumbler link here: http://0-chimera-0.tumblr.com/

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I like the contrast on the non-HDR one a lot more.

• Options
    Yeah me too, I am still new to HDR imagery and so I am am still working on getting my settings right when creating it with Photoshop.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    yeah I really prefer the non-HDR version a lot.

That does not seem to be a scene that would lend itself to it much.

I still haven't tried more than a few really half-assed attempts at HDR yet

.... or even touched my camera in months

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Getting good HDR really means doing a shit load of playing around in photoshop. More than just adjusting the sliders.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    shouldn't someone just...
    photographer-graph-1024x858.png

• Options
    I have been stuck in the blue "Dammit, I suck" trough for years

• Options
    Selling my 50mm to a friend who needs it

Haven't touched it in 2 years, this is probably the right decision. Plus I can always just buy it back if necessary (which it isn't. My 35 and 85 make it obsolete).

Still, it's a little bit emotional.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not a fan of 90% of HDR shots. The 10% that are done properly are fantastic, though.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    We're interviewing for my replacement at work before I head off to Canada in a couple months

and we're hoping for someone who's a good designer and at least proficient enough with a camera to do what I do, which is not very complicated.

The two people we're probably going to choose from both have degrees in design AND photography, but neither of them own a DSLR. They're both like "Oh I'm more used to shooting with a Digital Point and Shoot, I haven't really used an SLR since college"

When the first guy said it I was a little surprised. When the second said it I was shocked.

What the hell? Hire me. I'll travel. I have 5 years experience with DSLR's and own my own T2i with two lenses.

What's the job, out of curiosity?

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    in house print designer/photographer for an importing company

designer first, photographer second, I'm afraid.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    in house print designer/photographer for an importing company

designer first, photographer second, I'm afraid.

#pipe, I am sending you a PM barely related to this.

• Options
    I want to photograph more concerts.

Like, now.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »

What the hell? Hire me. I'll travel. I have 5 years experience with DSLR's and own my own T2i with two lenses.

What's the job, out of curiosity?

I don't want to be a massive cunt (oops, that's probably unavoidable), but there are many thousands of people on Facebook who think that owning a Rebel with the two kit lenses makes them a pro photographer...

Hey, they've been taking photos since high school with their phone, that counts as experience, right?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    euro0y.png
    dxo274.png

• Options
  • Options