As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CSI: Ankh-Morpork

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If Detective Munch isn't in this show, then fuck this bullshit.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    Also, the American Film industry has this habit of... ignoring anything vaguely unfamiliar to the hetero-normative Judeo-Christian middle America psyche. The whole point of the story is that all these Gods and myths don't thrive in American culture and have bugger all profile. I'm somewhat afraid of what compromises the movie will make in a studios search to make the movie more appealing to White middle America. A film that challenges the audience's knowledge of non-Christian religion and has at its center a story that will be denounced by the religious conservatives of the midwest as heresy? You couldn't pitch a worse concept to the the film industry at the moment.

Also, Neverwhere: yes.
    Oh hey

what's that huge summer blockbuster coming out in less than a month

thor-imax-movie-poster.jpg

(Yes I know they are different but the point stands)

I really doubt that American Gods would be censored very much at all

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When I was a child, before I'd read any of the books, I watched the animated Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters repeatedly, 'cause my parents love Discworld too.

It is something of a tradition to buy my dad whatever new Pratchett book has come out that year for Christmas.

I almost always end up buying my own copy, because fuck waiting until sometime after Christmas (when he finishes reading it) to get a chance at borrowing it.

It's a good system.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd rather see a Neverwhere movie. American Gods was pretty neat but it just didn't spark the same love in me as it has for others. I enjoyed Neverwhere a lot more.

th-there was a Neverwhere tv series?
    six half hour episodes

Antimatter on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I'd rather see a Neverwhere movie. American Gods was pretty neat but it just didn't spark the same love in me as it has for others. I enjoyed Neverwhere a lot more.

six half hour episodes

It was written as a TV series.

The book came later.

Also I tried reading The Colour of Magic once and got bored, and I've never picked up a Pratchett novel since. I should give it another go some time.

Flay on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn right!

No one will begrudge you for not feeling CoM though. Those first two are surprisingly weak in comparison to his later works, he hadn't quite found his feet yet

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mort

Start with Mort.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    mort or guards! guards!

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I loved com and never looked back

Langly on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed it, but yeah have no desire to re-read it ever. I'd say just read it first to get it out of the way.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    This is me, right here.

I only recently read Guards! Guards! for the first time (on the advice of people here, actually). Gonna keep going down that line of books, I think.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I'll give them another shot. I can just borrow them off my nerd friends anyway.

Is there any benefit to reading them in order? I mean, do you understand the world better or pick up on some more references or anything?

Flay on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    my favorite part about the library at my house is that every other thursday, they have a book sale

and I have gotten so many old editions of discworld books there for like, 25 cents each.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All the books have recurring characters, from my experience you should definitely read the Death books in order at the very least (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, The Hogfather, The Thief of Time).

Gatsby on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    This is me, right here.

I only recently read Guards! Guards! for the first time (on the advice of people here, actually). Gonna keep going down that line of books, I think.

Ideally, you just read all the books in the order of publication. But Guards Guards is a brilliant start and if you are strapped for time/cash, sticking with the Watch series is the business.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hogfather is probably my favorite Death book, maybe even Discworld book, if only because of this exchange at the end.
    "All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying that humans need ... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little ---"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT BELIEVING THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET --- Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME... RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point ---"

MY POINT EXACTLY.

love terry pratchett so much wish he was my grandpa

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gatsby wrote: »
    All the books have recurring characters, from my experience you should definitely read the Death books in order at the very least (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, The Hogfather, The Thief of Time).

Okay. Death is basically the only character I know anything about so I guess that's a place to start.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

six half hour episodes

It was written as a TV series.

The book came later.

fully aware, good sir

just thought a movie'd be superfluous

Antimatter on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hogfather is probably my favorite Death book, maybe even Discworld book, if only because of this exchange at the end.
    "All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying that humans need ... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET --- Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME... RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

MY POINT EXACTLY.

Personally I prefer Reaper Man to all the other Death books, but I agree that exchange you spoilered is good stuff. The metaphors aside, him being so grievously offended by the combine harvester was funny as hell

Speaking of Death... did he show up in Night Watch? I know it's customary for him to at least cameo in every Discworld book, but bugger all if I can remember if/where his Night Watch appearance was

Ledneh on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hello there discworld thread

i support hugh laurie as vimes

Quoth on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »

MY POINT EXACTLY.

Personally I prefer Reaper Man to all the other Death books, but I agree that exchange you spoilered is good stuff. The metaphors aside, him being so grievously offended by the combine harvester was funny as hell

Speaking of Death... did he show up in Night Watch? I know it's customary for him to at least cameo in every Discworld book, but bugger all if I can remember if/where his Night Watch appearance was

Shows up in the torture chamber.

Vimes almost sees him.

Also, the Patrician reaches the end of cake.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that is something i quote often

what a great line

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

MY POINT EXACTLY.

Shows up in the torture chamber.

Vimes almost sees him.

Also, the Patrician reaches the end of cake.

Ahaha how did I forget about the cake

FOR YOU, THERE IS NO MORE CAKE

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vimes actually saw him in Thud, more than once too.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    taoistlumberjaktaoistlumberjak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vimes actually saw him in Thud, more than once too.

I've got Thud! and Mort waiting next, and now I've heard interesting things about both.
    Someone needs to decide for me which one I read next.

taoistlumberjak on
    grillsgrillsgrills.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thud is really good and you may as well finish off the most recent of a character series before starting a new one.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    thud is so good

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    THAT IS NOT MY COW

(ed) I just remembered Vimes ALSO saw Death in The Fifth Elephant, wherein they tried to have a discussion regarding the Trousers of Time whilst racing down rapids to a waterfall

Speaking of Death, I laugh every time he makes reference to Rincewind's hourglass basically being a fucking klein bottle or something

I think I need to read Interesting Times again

Ledneh on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know what I miss? Josh Kirby cover art.

The first 20-odd novels leapt from the shelves when you saw them, and were instantly recognisable. The massive packing and squeezing of all those shapes from the story onto the cover. What it must have been like to read the book and try and work all those crazy ideas of Pratchett's into such a small space, to visualise trolls and witches and Tortoises driving Eagles by their testicles. And to pick up a book for the first time and wonder what it is that all this imagary means, then read the book and look on the cover after finishing and think "Ooooooooooh".

I mean, the art itself is wonderful. But there's so much detail there you don't even realise. It's a damn shame that the covers since then have been... well, not a feature of the experience I used to enjoy.

Those covers were great.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    THAT IS NOT MY COW

(ed) I just remembered Vimes ALSO saw Death in The Fifth Elephant, wherein they tried to have a discussion regarding the Trousers of Time whilst racing down rapids to a waterfall

Speaking of Death, I laugh every time he makes reference to Rincewind's hourglass basically being a fucking klein bottle or something

I think I need to read Interesting Times again

death hates rincewind so much

he hates him because fate and the lady muck about in death's business all the time and that bothers him to no end

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hate's kind of strong.

He's annoyed by how unpunctual he is.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    nono

he actively despises him because the gods tend to annoy him

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I prefer Kidby's art to Kirby's, in all honesty

Kirby's stuff seems very muddled

Antimatter on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    You know what I miss? Josh Kirby cover art.

The first 20-odd novels leapt from the shelves when you saw them, and were instantly recognisable. The massive packing and squeezing of all those shapes from the story onto the cover. What it must have been like to read the book and try and work all those crazy ideas of Pratchett's into such a small space, to visualise trolls and witches and Tortoises driving Eagles by their testicles. And to pick up a book for the first time and wonder what it is that all this imagary means, then read the book and look on the cover after finishing and think "Ooooooooooh".

I mean, the art itself is wonderful. But there's so much detail there you don't even realise. It's a damn shame that the covers since then have been... well, not a feature of the experience I used to enjoy.

Those covers were great.

Eh

Instantly recognisable, yes, but it always felt to me like Josh had read a basic script outline and gone crazy from there

I far prefer Paul's more subdued artstyle

Jintor on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    nono

he actively despises him because the gods tend to annoy him

That only maybe holds true for Death in the first two books, maybe, and his personality in those is rather different from that in his appearances in the rest of the series.

At the most, Death is annoyed with Rincewind's lack of punctuality, but he doesn't actively despise him or anything of the sort. It's far too strong an emotion for Death to exhibit, for starters. Rincewind is a minor inconvenience at worst and a curiosity at best. Nothing he does warrants the effort Death has to put into a big emotional response.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Besides which doesn't Death like offer him the local equivalent of a sausage-inna-bun in Interesting Times

I seem to remember that for some strange reason

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, in the later Rincewind books whenever Death meets him he's just sort of curious or apathetic. There is no active dislike. Death doesn't even hate the Auditors, just finds them a bother. Susan holds all the hate in that family.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, in the later Rincewind books whenever Death meets him he's just sort of curious or apathetic. There is no active dislike. Death doesn't even hate the Auditors, just finds them a bother. Susan holds all the hate in that family.

Not all.

It's just incredibly rare to see it.

It's...

potent.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man I though I knew what was up in Discworld, I've read like 12 books, but the last I saw of Rincewind
    He died saving everyone from the Sorceror. Though now that I look at it that was like the 5th book so hmmm..I got caught up in witches and policemen and stamps

Bucketman on