As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck it guys, let's ride [BIKES]

DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
Bicycles

3477007772_f3d82c77df.jpg

Love em.

rage_pg1_img2_.jpg

Hate em.

car+hits+bike.jpg

Run them down with your car.

It's all good. With spring arriving and gas prices through the roof, now is the perfect time to start riding these deadly 2 wheeled contraptions. So uh, let's talk about bikes or something.

sig2-2.jpg
Dangerous on

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Someone I know dropped $1800 on a bike.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i had a bike

it got pinched

Beasteh on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought a bike for 120 euroes and three years later it's still going strong. Starting to make noise though.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wiet wrote: »
    I bought a bike for 120 euroes and three years later it's still going strong. Starting to make noise though.

Awesome! Where's the noise coming from? Could just need new bearings in the cranks or hubs. As bike things go, that's not too expensive to fix.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a bike, haven't ridden it recently due to shit weather

zen- on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I should get a bike and start cycling to work as it's good and I like cycling.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    My bike is quite heavy and doesn't really get me anywhere

1439765_f260.jpg

On the plus side I can watch cartoons whilst I cycle and not worry about death.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My upper front two teeth are false because of these fiendish contraptions (and also a parked Fiat Punto).

Curse them forever, says I

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dangerous wrote: »

Awesome! Where's the noise coming from? Could just need new bearings in the cranks or hubs. As bike things go, that's not too expensive to fix.

Noise is coming from the gear case. I actually have some weird setup where my parts don't match up because the guy building it took top quality stuff from different manufacturers, which didn't really fit perfectly, so noise isn't all that worrying. And if it is, I'll get a new one! I live in the Netherlands after all, can't do without a bike here.

We actually have really great biking infrastructure in this country. It's not perfectly laid out like a highway or anything but I'm pretty sure you could travel the country on a bike and not have to go offroad.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, how could I forget to post the greatest bike related movie ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrzqBwuxHV8

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My bike has been under a pile of snow since November. It's literally in a block of ice.

It's dead as death and biking here is cunty. I hate you, Oslo motorists. Also, fuck you racing bicycle riders. Going fifty kilometres and hour on the sidewalk? Get the fuck away from me.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    SkylineCollapseSkylineCollapse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh man, i'm an avid cyclist but i'll be derned if that pic of the car bowling those poor chaps over didn't make me laugh. guess i'm a bad person.

SkylineCollapse on
    princess peach is a cockteasing bitch
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zen- wrote: »

But the weather here's been excellent for a good while (apart from today)

Quirk on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have this sitting in my apartment:

graduate-thumb_960.jpg

Torker Graduate

It's a great bike for what I wanted. 5-speed internal hub gear system, front and rear drum brakes, fenders, chain guard. Got it for about $400 bucks.

If I can, I'm going to swap out the stock handle bars for more of a flat bar. I just like that riding position better. Only downside that I can tell so far is that it's a heavy bike. Great for stability, not great for flinging it around.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My bike comes fitted with a combustion engine and should be here from the US in about a month, so excited!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wait, there are bikes that come with engines? What's the point of that?

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Quirk wrote: »
    zen- wrote: »

But the weather here's been excellent for a good while (apart from today)

I've been in work or with people unwilling to go ride bikes (my girlfriend)

and now I am too grumpy to go ride bikes

zen- on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I have this sitting in my apartment:

snip

Torker Graduate

It's a great bike for what I wanted. 5-speed internal hub gear system, front and rear drum brakes, fenders, chain guard. Got it for about $400 bucks.

If I can, I'm going to swap out the stock handle bars for more of a flat bar. I just like that riding position better. Only downside that I can tell so far is that it's a heavy bike. Great for stability, not great for flinging it around.

Very cool bike! And a great price too. I want to try an internally geared hub with a belt drive sometime.

Here's my new ride for the season.

IMG_5278.jpg

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The internal hub takes a bit of getting used to at first. You have to slack off your peddling while you change gears. But it also lets you shift at a dead stop and is rather smooth. Really the beauty is that it's damn near maintenance free, so as a commuter bike that gets locked to a bike stand with a bunch of others or left out in the rain, it's pretty perfect.

I was looking at a belt driven bike, but didn't have the scratch for it at the moment.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a really nice bike and it got pinched, too. :(

But I rented a bicycle in Gyeongju this weekend

And it was soooo fuuuuuun

190292_10150138796778113_501303112_6662466_6410263_n.jpg

Wheeeeeee

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god that last picture is hilarious.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just brought my crappy amf converted to a fixed gear with me to school. It rides, but it is heavy and is a wobbly one piece crank. My nice fixed gear some punks damaged last quarter so i had to have the rear wheel replaced which cost $50 and I'm only going to ride when I'm home.

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't owned a bike since I was probably twelve. That's bugged me for years, but dammit stuff is expensive. I almost bought one of those crazy folding bikes a few years back, but I honestly couldn't say why.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I never owned a bike before until about a month ago. My wife bought one because she wanted to be more active or some such bullshit but she refuses to ride when there's daylight out because she doesn't want people watching her. I don't know, don't ask me. Anyway, I bought a cheap one to ride with her because I figure it would be fun to ride and it is. I'm just so shitty at riding bikes that I can't go forward without wobbling so I can't stay on sidewalks and I just ride in the middle of the street.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Noise is coming from the gear case. I actually have some weird setup where my parts don't match up because the guy building it took top quality stuff from different manufacturers, which didn't really fit perfectly, so noise isn't all that worrying. And if it is, I'll get a new one! I live in the Netherlands after all, can't do without a bike here.

We actually have really great biking infrastructure in this country. It's not perfectly laid out like a highway or anything but I'm pretty sure you could travel the country on a bike and not have to go offroad.

i was impressed by how many bikes there were

also, how everybody can ride on the back and not bust their ass wide open

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Buying a bike in like two days. Super Craigslist Garbage Buying Power Go.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish riding bikes here wasn't the next closest thing to suicide.

I rode my bike to school for like 6 months and got hit by cars twice.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    I wish riding bikes here wasn't the next closest thing to suicide.

I rode my bike to school for like 6 months and got hit by cars twice.

I know what you mean. I'd love to commute by bike, but just out riding in the afternoons I usually come close enough to getting splattered across the road.

On the flip side, I can see why drivers would want to kill cyclists. When we've got people like this representing us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWUNoF9o7E

I dare anyone to watch the whole thing without raging.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Great, now I want to kill bikers too.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am looking into getting a very simple low maintenance bike, so a fixed gear looks like it will be the way to go.

However beyond that I know nothing, I want it to be comfortable as I will be using it for commuting but nothing fancy.

Bikers, help me shop

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    I am looking into getting a very simple low maintenance bike, so a fixed gear looks like it will be the way to go.

However beyond that I know nothing, I want it to be comfortable as I will be using it for commuting but nothing fancy.

Bikers, help me shop

A fixed gear isn't the only way to go, especially if you live somewhere with lots of hills or places where you need to uh, stop quickly. Most fixed gear bikes have a flip flop hub and a freewheel so you can run regular singlespeed with brakes.

Lots of mailorder places have these kids of bikes for cheap. Bikesdirect has them starting at like $300.

Pretty much all the big name bike companies will have at least one model as well. Though you probably end up paying more for the name. Norco makes one called the Heart for $390 that looks pretty decent for the price.

I don't really find anything about most fixie/singlespeeds particularly comfortable though. I know there's more to worry about going wrong, but regular geared hybrid bikes are super comfortable and many are made with everyday commuting in mind. Not to mention they start pretty cheap. If something like this is what you're interested in, I can probably recommend a few.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Bikers, help me shop

A fixed gear isn't the only way to go, especially if you live somewhere with lots of hills or places where you need to uh, stop quickly. Most fixed gear bikes have a flip flop hub and a freewheel so you can run regular singlespeed with brakes.

Lots of mailorder places have these kids of bikes for cheap. Bikesdirect has them starting at like $300.

Pretty much all the big name bike companies will have at least one model as well. Though you probably end up paying more for the name. Norco makes one called the Heart for $390 that looks pretty decent for the price.

I don't really find anything about most fixie/singlespeeds particularly comfortable though. I know there's more to worry about going wrong, but regular geared hybrid bikes are super comfortable and many are made with everyday commuting in mind. Not to mention they start pretty cheap. If something like this is what you're interested in, I can probably recommend a few.

BikeNashbar.com is great, too.

I'd recommend a geared hybrid as well; I used to race on a velodrome and even with all that time spent on fixed gears, I wouldn't want to ride one around town. If you're set on one, though, make sure you've got a back brake on it. I know in SC it's illegal to ride without brakes, not to mention it's stupid.

Oh, this is a cool little thing I found while writing my thesis tonight to calculate how much you'd save per day riding to work.

Cos on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is my current summer non-car
    teahuppoooo.JPG

I kinda want a bike like one of these tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgD4XjPbPc

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish there were more things within biking distance from me, but with being as out of shape as I am and my heart condition I can't go that far. Not that there's a lot of places I can go anyway, my town is small and I'd have to go ludicrous distances for anything else.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    My son's gonna be 2 in a few weeks. I got him a present from Islabikes and it just arrived, his first bike:

(his is red and has a handbrake for the rear wheel, though)

islabikes_rothan_hi.jpg

Going to basically skip that whole training wheels malarkey :)

DrCongo on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cos wrote: »

Bikers, help me shop

BikeNashbar.com is great, too.

I'd recommend a geared hybrid as well; I used to race on a velodrome and even with all that time spent on fixed gears, I wouldn't want to ride one around town. If you're set on one, though, make sure you've got a back brake on it. I know in SC it's illegal to ride without brakes, not to mention it's stupid.

Oh, this is a cool little thing I found while writing my thesis tonight to calculate how much you'd save per day riding to work.

Those guys look wicked comfortable, the non singlespeed/fixed. Honestly my only concern is being able to repair it myself, I want it to last a while and I have no problem working on it, but I need the work I do to be cheap and not over difficult. I am handy, not a mechanic

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2009-StreetfighterS-001.jpg
    My future mid-life crisis.

...What, it's a bike.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

i was impressed by how many bikes there were

also, how everybody can ride on the back and not bust their ass wide open

The best was watching people walk down the cycle track, thinking it was some kind of footpath and watching a dutchman coming tearing up behind them yelling, "wat doe je!?" Right behind them, making the tourist freak the fuck out. I believe it's somewhat of a national past time

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    got a used bike for free the other day

it's awesome and it only looks a little bit like shit

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011