As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] Now with even GIANTEST robots

• Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    Don't mean to veer off from the Cygnar theorying, but I think I've about nailed down how to use eBaldur safely and figure I might be missing something in the final piece of the puzzle..

I've been playing a lot of 50 point, enjoying the synergies allotted to fill out a solid dynamic to my playstyle. Right now it's a brick shithouse, generally in a flying-V of knockdown wolds that either survive attrition wars by having more hitpoints or deliver eBaldur, who tears into everything. I've mostly been looking into new ways to keep range off Baldur's ass with gobbers/druids, but need a little more hitting power in the form of something cheap and quick.
    eBaldur +5
    -Megalith 11
    -Guardian 9
    -Guardian 9
    Celestial Fulcrum 9
    Shifting Stones 2
    Stone Keeper 1
    Druids 7
    Swamp Gobbers 1

My final 6 points are to be determined, but at the moment it's between a min unit of Wolf Riders for a flanking/ranged tactic, or Druid UA+Totem Hunter+Gallows Grove (or) Warwolf. Arguably there's more to be had from the Wolf riders since they don't have to live in my tiny Wold world where angry wurms lay and they become a wildcard of "Do they do something useful with Assault and weapon mastery?" Compared to a spellcaster, jumping totem dude, and some possible Crevassing/Buffing. Seems like a waste of time to fill out a small batch of possible utilities when the Wolf Riders are just plain dangerous compared to my slow drudging armored wall of counter magic and smoke clouds and in theory I could even put Flesh of Clay on them to make them less vulnerable to ranged shots while they're out there.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Consider alternately a Gallows Grove and a unit of Woldstalkers. They give a nice ranged attack that could be quite useful, and they fit with the high-armor theme. Alternately, a UA, Blackclad, and another unit of Stones would work nicely as well. Personally, I would think that Baldur with Roots/Rock Wall, the Guardian's animus, and enough fury to transfer a few hits wouldn't need the gobbers, and I'd replace them with a Grove. Conveniently, this puts you right into eBaldur's Tier list, at tier 3.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Also Flesh of Clay is Self only I believe.

• Options
    You make an excellent point when considering the second unit of stones, since I'd have one with a UA and another without and their formations would be easier to create defensive lines of healing should the need arise. I'd stopped using a 2nd unit for some reason awhile back, but I may have to give that another go. I suppose the Blackclad & Druid UA provide a spray/aoe area of defense against infantry, which at the moment only Crevasse and the Fulcrum can provide. I am sorely lacking in infantry control abilities, since my heavies have to hit, push, hit, push to make their way down a unit of dudes.

I don't really like the Woldstalkers, they never quite work for me. In terms of fury management, I'm casting Roots every turn, and I tend to get caught out in the open after the Woldwall starts moving around, so I suppose I'm trying to factor whether 1 point for 2 models that will either 1: Die for me as blockers, or 2: Provide clouds to keep me from having to transfer might be a more practical application of force to a survival problem. Since eventually I end up needing my extra fury by turn 3-4 to heal up columns of damaged Wolds or Wurmed Baldur. Seems like the Grove might end up a good tactical option to stop nearby things from healing via Entropic Force, more than as an arc node.

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    Dyrwen66 wrote: »
    eBaldur +5
    -Megalith 11
    -Guardian 9
    -Guardian 9
    Celestial Fulcrum 9
    Shifting Stones 2
    Stone Keeper 1
    Druids 7
    Swamp Gobbers 1

My final 6 points are to be determined, but at the moment it's between a min unit of Wolf Riders for a flanking/ranged tactic, or Druid UA+Totem Hunter+Gallows Grove (or) Warwolf. Arguably there's more to be had from the Wolf riders since they don't have to live in my tiny Wold world where angry wurms lay and they become a wildcard of "Do they do something useful with Assault and weapon mastery?" Compared to a spellcaster, jumping totem dude, and some possible Crevassing/Buffing. Seems like a waste of time to fill out a small batch of possible utilities when the Wolf Riders are just plain dangerous compared to my slow drudging armored wall of counter magic and smoke clouds and in theory I could even put Flesh of Clay on them to make them less vulnerable to ranged shots while they're out there.

I like the list quite a bit actually so far, though I'm noticing your model count is really low for 50 points. What I would suggest as a use for your last 6 points would be a nice Infantry jam unit, like 10 Wolves of Orboros to run up and clog enemy lines for a turn with reach, powerful charge, and a lot of bodies. If you're looking for something a bit more threatening, you could get 10 Tharn Bloodtrackers for 8 points; the Stone Keeper and Swamp Gobbers are quite nice, but Bloodtrackers kill s**t dead real good and can jam with the best of them. Or, if you're looking for even more brickiness, you could take those 8 points and put in Warpborn Skinwalkers. Yes, I know, I know, but still: Arm 21 when engaged on a Feat turn with 8 hit boxes. There are 'Jacks easier to take down than that.

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    35045_HypnosWEB.jpg

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ret heavies always remind me of my old PSO character, a RAcast.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    About time he showed up, seeing as he comes out in like two weeks.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Pretty nice, I have to say.

• Options
    Why does the official color scheme have to look like an iPad exploded into a huge robot.

• Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    It's an iRet!

• Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    Considerably less retarded looking than the art for it. I love it!

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I still hate their heads.

• Options
    susan wrote:
    I like the list quite a bit actually so far, though I'm noticing your model count is really low for 50 points. What I would suggest as a use for your last 6 points would be a nice Infantry jam unit, like 10 Wolves of Orboros to run up and clog enemy lines for a turn with reach, powerful charge, and a lot of bodies. If you're looking for something a bit more threatening, you could get 10 Tharn Bloodtrackers for 8 points; the Stone Keeper and Swamp Gobbers are quite nice, but Bloodtrackers kill s**t dead real good and can jam with the best of them. Or, if you're looking for even more brickiness, you could take those 8 points and put in Warpborn Skinwalkers. Yes, I know, I know, but still: Arm 21 when engaged on a Feat turn with 8 hit boxes. There are 'Jacks easier to take down than that.
    Fair. I did try out some Skinwalkers in a previous 50 pt list and they were quite badass. I tend to overextend with Bloodtrackers and get them killed, so I'm trying to create a backline that is solid and nigh impossible to kill. I'd considered a 3 man unit of Skinwalkers if only for their durability compared to the UAs & Solos I'd end up adding. Wolves or Reeves are tempting if only to add some more ranged into the mix and a big squad of dudes. I may have to try out Reeves to get that cross bow shot off before they die and see about backing away into the front line to draw out enemy fire as the turns progress.

Definitely a low model count though, I've been making it work so far, but it's mostly because I used to play Cryx and was tired of moving infantry only to watch them perish outright. Figure there has to be a better tactical solution for Circle, since the units don't cost .5 points to throw away on turn 2.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I found a pretty awesome store with an league of Hordes and Warmachine players about 40 minutes from me today. I'm still working on converting some locals to give it a chance, but I'm really excited to get my new battleboxes set up and get some games in on the weekends! I also found an RPG group playing Iron Kingdoms RPG. All in all, a good gaming day :).

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Hensler wrote: »
    ...I also found an RPG group playing Iron Kingdoms RPG. All in all, a good gaming day :).

I have big plans for the updated IKRPG when it comes out :) . Already have a few players lined up in my local group, one playing a Llaelese Mechanic running from the war, one playing a disgraced former Gunmage who still does the occasional dirty job for the old team. I'll actually be looking for some other South Puget Sound-area players in a few months to flesh out the group if anyone's interested.

susan on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    I brought stuff to play Thyra tonight, but I'm not sure what list I'll be using. In the tournament, I actually ran Cleansers with her to pretty good effect. I think her list needs something ranged in it, but I can't fathom using much besides Errants or Idrians. So, Errants it is until I get Idrians.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    I'm going to try Thyra out tonight for the first time. This is my intended 35 point list:

Thyra
    Guardian
    Templar
    Hierophant

Min Choir
    Vassal
    Covenant
    Daughters
    Full TFG
    Rhupert Carvolo
    Reclaimer
    Wracks

It's a lot of support, but she seems like she needs it. Rhupert is in there because I don't have Saxon Orrick and the list needs pathfinder. Not sure about the Templar, but it's a solid jack and beatback does give it some surprising movement shenanigans. I might replace it with a Reckoner for the additional def buff for Thyra, but I'm kind of sick of using the Reckoner in every list. I think the Guardian will be useful for getting off Pursuit and Stranglehold, but we'll see. On the plus side, it can reach effective Mat 12 on the charge (Choir+Carnage+Powerful Charge), which will hit damn near anything.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The Templar is an amazing choice, really. Beat back triggers for all of its attacks and it has crazy good armor. The Guardian isn't going to be able to go full bore because you need him to arc spells.

Everything else looks good. I've never run the Vassal with her because she can get the same effect from pursuit, except it's a little more versatile. I would be tempted to drop it and add the UA to the TFG.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    The difference between the Vassal's Enliven and Pursuit is that you're immune to free strikes during the Enliven move, but not during the Pursuit move. I've found Pursuit to be much more of an offensive tool than a defensive one.

• Options
    So I just got a new job and that means I have money to spend. I'm thinking of doing a Darius list (Since Ret models did not maintain the cool factor they started with in my opinion). I'd like to run the Battle Mechanik Officer as a Darius conversion.

Anyone have any list suggestions?

• Options
    So I just got a new job and that means I have money to spend. I'm thinking of doing a Darius list (Since Ret models did not maintain the cool factor they started with in my opinion). I'd like to run the Battle Mechanik Officer as a Darius conversion.

Don't run Darius? He is really, really bad. If you want to run 'Jacks, run Kraye. I'm being 100% serious here.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SJ wrote: »

Don't run Darius? He is really, really bad. If you want to run 'Jacks, run Kraye. I'm being 100% serious here.

Either Nemo would work too. Darius looks cool, but he doesn't have the tools he needs. If you're just putting him together for a modeling project, I'd say make his steam cannon more impressive. The stubby little thing the default model has isn't as impressive as I think it should be.

kaorti on
  • Options
    SJ wrote: »

This makes me super sad. Why you gotta go making me sad SJ?

• Options
    Eh, just do it anyway and find a way to win I say. Then again I lost with Cryx 80% of the time for a year straight..

Still, he does look cool and with enough heavies, jack marshals, and mechaniks, you might even be able to run an effective brick shithouse slow and steady towards the enemy.

• Options
    Ok, so here's an idea:

Captain E. Dominic Darius (*5pts)
    * Minuteman (5pts)
    * Centurion (9pts)
    * Squire (2pts)
    Field Mechaniks (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
    Trencher Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
    * Trencher Infantry Officer & Sniper (3pts)
    * * Grenadier (5pts)
    Captain Arlan Strangewayes (2pts)
    * Hunter (6pts)

I don't know much about the Grenadier placement, might drop it and upgrade the hunter to a defender. This is not designed to be a tournament winning list, just a fun list.

• Options
    1-1 tonight with Thyra. Won my first game against Sturm & Drang when my opponent failed to realize Thyra had overtake. Feat, charge, Silence of Death, kill the first guy with my initial to b2b with the warlock, then 7 swings. Missed 5 of them needing 6s, but a surviving Daughter charged in for the last bits. Lost the second game, because damn Kaelyssa, two Hydra, and two full MHSF w/UA. It's completely not a fun army to play against. I don't mind, but ugh.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Any particular reason for the field mechaniks?

Not that they're bad or anything, just that Darius comes with three free ones that you don't have to worry about botching a skill check at a critical moment.

(Dear Privateer: The moment eDarius comes out is the moment I completely switch back to Cygnar heart & soul, and I buy a fuckload of all the models I missed.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Listen, dude. Trencher Infantry are the other worst thing in that book other than Darius.

But, for actual constructive advice: don't marshal anything to Strangeways. He's too easy to kill. If you want to use a Grenadier, just put it in base to base with a Trencher Chain Gun so you don't have to spend 9 points 'jack marshaling it. Take Gun Mages instead and give the hunter and the grenadier to them with the UA so you can get 3 shots from the grenadier every turn benefiting from rune shot and you can use strangeways + crit brutal + 'jack marshal boosting to get crit brutal on the hunter shots with 4 damage dice. And Reinholdt lets you shoot twice a turn with your AOE4 gun.

* Minuteman (5pts)
    * Centurion (9pts)
    * Squire (2pts)
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
    * Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
    * * Hunter (6pts)
    * * Grenadier (5pts)
    Trencher Chaingun Crew (2pts)
    Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)

Only one heavy means you aren't making much use of Full Throttle, though. None of the packages here really do anything special with Darius; this is the kind of list that you could run with one of the Haleys or Caines just fine but there's no reason to use Darius instead of other casters.

Or, if you're serious about dropping the Grenadier (which I would suggest), we can drop the chain gun as well to put either an Ironclad or a Hammersmith (if we drop Reinholdt) in here. And now that I think about it, Darius doesn't particularly need a squire. So we could turn that Ironclad into a Stormclad.

* Minuteman (5pts)
    * Centurion (9pts)
    * Stormclad (10pts)
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
    * Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
    * * Hunter (6pts)

SJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    FUCK.

YES.

FUCK. YES.

6bMaU.jpg
    The mighty road hogs hurl themselves into the fray with supercharged fury, unleashing gouts of flame and mechanikally enhanced brutality upon enemies of the farrow. Their lower limbs replaced by prosthetic legs, they are capable of surprising swiftness at the cost of agonizing pain to the beasts themselves—a small price to pay for the brutal carnage the road hogs can inflict upon their foes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks SJ, that's the advice I needed. I don't see much Darius (one of the reasons I want to play him), and had no idea where to really start. Was just grabbing things I wanted to use/looked cool.

I'll mull it over, I'm not a huge fan of the Stormclad...But that second list looks nice.

• Options
    Thanks SJ, that's the advice I needed. I don't see much Darius (one of the reasons I want to play him), and had no idea where to really start. Was just grabbing things I wanted to use/looked cool.

I'll mull it over, I'm not a huge fan of the Stormclad...But that second list looks nice.

Well, Darius is one of the few casters I'd take a Hammersmith with (Kraye being the other). So you could probably drop it for one of those easily, or even a Defender.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The problem with the hammersmith is that he still has no way to make it faster outside of walking up and using the crane. Which is okay, but then I'd rather have an extra 3" of movement out of a Stormclad rather than a Hammersmith. I'd sooner turn the Centurion into a Hammersmith than the Stormclad; then you've got one super beater and one movement shenanigan bad-ass who can crit-smite motherfuckers all day erry day.

SJ on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Stormclad is a jack with really good rules. Electro-leap looks unimpressive, but it allows for some really interesting plays and some surprisingly high body counts. It also provides a very high power weapon, and sometimes you need all the hitting power you can get. Finally, it's got the best melee threat range of all our jacks. It's worth every point.

Alernately, I put together this list:

* Centurion (9pts)
    * Hammersmith (8pts)
    * Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
    Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
    Sword Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
    Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
    Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)

Darius wants durability on his jacks so that he can maximize his feat. This list accomplishes that by bringing three heavies with high base armor, then buffing the armor of two of them with Fortify and Arcane Shield. The Black 13th provide general utility and spot removal, or deal with high defense enemies. Reinholdt gets you an extra shot with the steam cannon - 4" aoe is quite useful. The sword knights are chaff, and they can benefit from flank. In the late game you can switch arcane shield to Darius to make him reasonably durable.

Darius is never going to bring a fast list. He doesn't add enough threat range, and his best synergies are with our slowest jacks. This list wants to preserve your heavies until the late game, where they can dominate through sheer mass.

Well, Darius is one of the few casters I'd take a Hammersmith with (Kraye being the other). So you could probably drop it for one of those easily, or even a Defender.

The Hammersmith works well with eNemo as well. Lightning shroud makes him P+S 19 and lets him push a low defense model through light infantry, frying them with e-leap. Galvanic bolt provides the defense debuff for him to hit jacks reliably. Gorman's black oil would work as well. Finally, energizer gives him the threat range to do his thing. My eNemo list has more caster kills with the hammersmith than with any other model.

I suspect he could do similar work for pNemo through judicious use of arkantrik bolt.

kaorti on
  • Options
    Son of MakutaSon of Makuta Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    FUCK.

YES.

FUCK. YES.

6bMaU.jpg

Awwww yeah. That is incredibly metal.

• Options
    I suffered two crushing defeats yesterday vs. Cygnar and Khador. Maybe they were just bad matchups, but it seems like Thyra is really only well suited to taking on Hordes. Or rather, I've only been able to effectively use her against Hordes.

First, what the fuck do you do to stop eHaley's feat? As I had pretty much no shooting in my army, I got shut down on turn two, all of my jacks disrupted, couldn't do shit. I expected to lose this game before I even set up, but jesus christ.

Khador was just a mixture of bad decisions and not being able to hand out Pathfinder for mitigating Inhospitable Ground.

I feel like I should have run eFeora instead against these guys because I would have been able to do SOMETHING.

Anyway, further ideas for an eFeora list at 35:

eFeora
    Reckoner
    Vanquisher
    Redeemer
    Hierophant
    Wracks
    Vassal
    Min. Choir
    Max. Bastions
    Rhoven

I dropped the Cleansers out of this list for Wracks and Rhoven. This list has the lowest model count I've ever put together, but everything has a lot of hitting power. The only thing that will give me trouble is terrain.

I haven't played it, but Rhoven will make the Redeemer (or whoever else I need) a beast when it comes to shooting. If I'm not playing against a high stealth army, I could drop them for a second Vassal and Saxon to hand out Pathfinder.

At 50 points, I would go to this:

eFeora
    Reckoner
    Vanquisher
    Redeemer
    Hierophant
    Wracks
    Vassal
    Vassal
    Min. Choir
    Max. Bastions
    Min Cleansers
    Full TFG + UA
    Rhoven (Could swap for Covenant and Saxon).

Thoughts?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I suffered two crushing defeats yesterday vs. Cygnar and Khador. Maybe they were just bad matchups, but it seems like Thyra is really only well suited to taking on Hordes. Or rather, I've only been able to effectively use her against Hordes.

First, what the fuck do you do to stop eHaley's feat? As I had pretty much no shooting in my army, I got shut down on turn two, all of my jacks disrupted, couldn't do shit. I expected to lose this game before I even set up, but jesus christ.

Tank and spank.

eHaley's feat will lead to a brutal turn, but once she gets through that her army will lack durability and hitting power and her control tricks don't hold up well against Menoth denial. Thyra wouldn't be my choice against eHaley because I wouldn't expect her list to have a lot of redundancy or durability. eFeora's in a better spot. The ideal is a caster like pKreoss or Harbinger that can counter-feat. In general, any list that's built around durability and killing power rather than key pieces and trickiness is a good choice.

Inhospitable Ground is one of those spells that you either bring a solution to or lose.

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    I lost one I should have won. Im playing Cryx, other guy is Khador.

I had a turn where I knocked down the enemy warcaster, had 2 pistol wraiths light him up did maybe 7 or so damage. I should have parasited that turn too, but I wasn't thinking clearly. Next turn my bonechicken got smoked, so no knockdown. I did get a parasite off, I had pAsphyxious engaged with Karchev needed a 6 to hit with 1 pistol wraith left. I miss both attacks, they get a chance to hit Asphyxious but need 8s to do it, I hit him 2x and do like 6 damage.

Next turn I got pasted by his Heavy Jack. I think I need to get more dice like some of the other players at the store, that way I can banish the ones that are rolling poorly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Tank and spank.

eHaley's feat will lead to a brutal turn, but once she gets through that her army will lack durability and hitting power and her control tricks don't hold up well against Menoth denial. Thyra wouldn't be my choice against eHaley because I wouldn't expect her list to have a lot of redundancy or durability. eFeora's in a better spot. The ideal is a caster like pKreoss or Harbinger that can counter-feat. In general, any list that's built around durability and killing power rather than key pieces and trickiness is a good choice.

Inhospitable Ground is one of those spells that you either bring a solution to or lose.

No kidding. I'm buying the Piper today. I'm also seriously considering grabbing a Vigilant for Thyra. With Occultation up on Thyra, Passage/Shielding on the Jack, they can run up the field with a whole lot of protection.

Other than that, I'm in a pretty good place with my models. I have about half the range at this point, although I could probably grab a new caster or two.

• Options
    Yeah, Thyra lists really need either Rhupert or Saxon. Possibly both wouldn't go too wrong.

Finding out TFG just aren't that great with Thyra. She does nothing for them they want, and 13/13 just isn't good enough, even for chaff. Rather take Zealots, who at least can be invulnerable for a turn and potentially have better Arm after a casualty.

Personally, my eFeora lists are pretty much the same as yours - however, I replace the Bastions and Rhoven with a full unit of Errants with UA and a 2-point solo, either the Errant Senechal, Gorman, or upgrading the Redeemer to a Templar. Gives me AD and Pathfinder, plus a way to deal with ethereal enemies.