As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crysis 2 thread of [DIRECTX 11 OUT NOW!]

• Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Boogdud wrote: »
    So the "security patch", released earlier this week to get rid of the hackers, turned out to be nothing more than an entry in the config file. That essentially says "if you get X amount of headshots within XX amount of time, you will be banned".

Yes, that's right. The patch is a client side entry in the cfg file. The clownshoes on this mp is impressive. It's like the anti-hacking/cheating mentality of a title from 1994. Crytek should really be ashamed. Next time, don't even bother with mp.

So all future aimbots will go for groinshots? Ugh. I'm pretty let down by Crytek on the anti-cheating, even though I really love the game.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joril wrote: »
    So the "security patch", released earlier this week to get rid of the hackers, turned out to be nothing more than an entry in the config file. That essentially says "if you get X amount of headshots within XX amount of time, you will be banned".

Yes, that's right. The patch is a client side entry in the cfg file. The clownshoes on this mp is impressive. It's like the anti-hacking/cheating mentality of a title from 1994. Crytek should really be ashamed. Next time, don't even bother with mp.

So all future aimbots will go for groinshots? Ugh. I'm pretty let down by Crytek on the anti-cheating, even though I really love the game.

It's not even that. It's a client side config that they changed and are still depending on to be accurate WHICH WAS THE WHOLE FREAKING PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. If they want, anyone can just as easily change "X amount of headshots" to be 3 billion. That is quite frankly the most ridiculously stupid "fix" they could have possibly applied even before you consider the completely arbitrary nature of the numbers that would have to be used to define a "cheater". It doesn't do anything that they weren't already doing before to prevent cheating. Which is a problem because nothing was being done before to prevent cheating.

Boogdud is right, this stuff really doesn't fly. This isn't a PC vs Console issue either, I'll say that up front, this is the most basic of basic security that they aren't even considering. This stopped being an issue 15 years ago when multiplayer FPS's were first becoming popular with Quake 1.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I understand.
    I just thought it would be funny if people started running groin-bots. Oh well. Crytek did make it clear they take cheating very seriously. I only hope they keep at it. And maybe this first "measure" was just a quick fix in between serious updates.
    You'd think that the people who wrote the most impressive engine of all time, would have what it takes to write some miraculous anti-cheat system.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Been playin dis on da pc. First time since I bought the rig a year ago that I feel like it was really worth the money. I tried stuff like the original crysis and Metro 2033 and the frame rate was crap on the highest settings. Here, not only does it look amazing, but it's smooth as can be.

Some other things:

1)Is there a bug where you can't always stealth kill a guy, or is that intentional? I've walked up to guards before and just not been able to do anything but regular melee. Also, I can just keep walking/pushing them and they don't do a thing.

2)Do you have to stealth kill the alien guys in order to get more points for upgrades or is any kill fine?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Been playin dis on da pc. First time since I bought the rig a year ago that I feel like it was really worth the money. I tried stuff like the original crysis and Metro 2033 and the frame rate was crap on the highest settings. Here, not only does it look amazing, but it's smooth as can be.

Some other things:

1)Is there a bug where you can't always stealth kill a guy, or is that intentional? I've walked up to guards before and just not been able to do anything but regular melee. Also, I can just keep walking/pushing them and they don't do a thing.

2)Do you have to stealth kill the alien guys in order to get more points for upgrades or is any kill fine?

1) Haven't run into that bug at all. *shrug*

2) Any kill will do, they give the same amount of catalyst.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh well. Crytek did make it clear they take cheating very seriously.

Only in the same way that Marie Antoinette took bread shortages very seriously it would seem. :P
    I only hope they keep at it. And maybe this first "measure" was just a quick fix in between serious updates.
    You'd think that the people who wrote the most impressive engine of all time, would have what it takes to write some miraculous anti-cheat system.

The multiplayer side was done by Crytek UK, formerly Free Radical Design. Who've had absolutely no experience with developing PC FPS's before Crysis 2, which kind of explains missing the most obvious problems.

subedii on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The client side fix is ridiculous because that's the grasping at straws solution.

They have no solutions other than to re-hardcode the stuff.

There's nothing to be done.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Crytek did make it clear they take cheating very seriously.
    This pretty much makes it clear that either they do not take it seriously, or the people responsible for securing their online gameplay are exceptionally incompetent.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man, this went from a "Buy when it's on sale" to a "Keep it away!" sort of thing. And people ridicule Homefront!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno. All this sounds pretty fucking hilarious if you ask me.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I dunno. All this sounds pretty fucking hilarious if you ask me.

I will admit, this does sound pretty funny.

They were having problems with people cheating by editing config files, and they did the equivalent of writing "Do not modify this config file or else you're a cheater" in the config file. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe they should start doing real security and encrypt their config files.
    :rotate:

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    Oh well. Crytek did make it clear they take cheating very seriously.

Only in the same way that Marie Antoinette took bread shortages very seriously it would seem. :P
    I only hope they keep at it. And maybe this first "measure" was just a quick fix in between serious updates.

The multiplayer side was done by Crytek UK, formerly Free Radical Design. Who've had absolutely no experience with developing PC FPS's before Crysis 2, which kind of explains missing the most obvious problems.

I already forgot about Free Radical. But don't you think the German Studio would lend a hand? Clearly, that's where all the geniuses are. Anyway, they better fix their game or there'll be no life for it, and no DLC sales for that built-in shop the game has. If PC sales mattered at all.
    Goddamnit, are we really to look at ID and Bathesda for some decent PC shooters?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Maybe they should start doing real security and encrypt their config files.
    :rotate:

But then you have to get the game to read the encryption?

A game that isn't set up to read one.

Could be an issue.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Oh man, this went from a "Buy when it's on sale" to a "Keep it away!" sort of thing. And people ridicule Homefront!

I dunno, I could see myself buying it during a Steam christmas sale, like in two years, where it will be ten dollars or less, for the single player. About the same as a movie ticket I suppose.

But god no, not for the multi. I hear such horrible things.

Astale on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    SoulGate wrote: »

I dunno, I could see myself buying it during a Steam christmas sale, like in two years, where it will be ten dollars or less, for the single player. About the same as a movie ticket I suppose.

But god no, not for the multi. I hear such horrible things.

Other than the hackers, the multiplayer is great.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well and also other than the terrible net code

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like the generalized ammo caches that let me run around with my favorite weapon loadout. Also, I found myself actually using the suit visor a lot more to tag all the enemies, cloak and set up a sniper position where only one enemy can see me. Then it's uncloak, headshot, cloak all within a second. Sprinkle in some stealth kills and shotgun ambushes and it's fun times.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    All games need generalized weapon caches unless they want to actually design out ammo placement in levels.

Like I remember Fear 2 had weapon crates all over with specific ammo/gun contents, but they were always designed for the area they were in (if you had to defend an area, you found mines and suppression weapons, for example). The ammo caches in the areas between big events had a pretty good spread of ammo types too, with only a few rare weapons (like the plasma gun, which one-shot enemies in aoe, think a B.F.G.) having very little ammo to find.

But most games that did that, like for example, Crysis 1, would have a gun that, even if it's not overpowered, is kind of neat and you want to use it, but no ammo. Like the starting weapon (Scar?), I think the only ammo you find for it until near the end are off your dead teammates, which are obviously few and far between. And even then it's like.....a clip. And yes I know that from carrying that weapon through almost the entire game. I mean I understand limiting heavy weapon ammo, but if you have a game include multiple types of, say, rifles, just let us get a generalized "rifle" ammo.

Astale on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know how it is on the other difficulties, but on Post-Human I often have to empty half a clip into an enemy before they fall. Having ammo all over the place is nice.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's called aiming for the head.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sure, but I prefer to get up in people's grills. At mid range, the hmg will still sometimes take 3 shots to kill a human enemy, which seems ridiculous.

Besides that, spam spam spam. Unlimited ammo, why not.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The pinger was such a fucking bitch the first time around on Veteran.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    subedii wrote: »

It's not even that. It's a client side config that they changed and are still depending on to be accurate WHICH WAS THE WHOLE FREAKING PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. If they want, anyone can just as easily change "X amount of headshots" to be 3 billion. That is quite frankly the most ridiculously stupid "fix" they could have possibly applied even before you consider the completely arbitrary nature of the numbers that would have to be used to define a "cheater". It doesn't do anything that they weren't already doing before to prevent cheating. Which is a problem because nothing was being done before to prevent cheating.

Boogdud is right, this stuff really doesn't fly. This isn't a PC vs Console issue either, I'll say that up front, this is the most basic of basic security that they aren't even considering. This stopped being an issue 15 years ago when multiplayer FPS's were first becoming popular with Quake 1.

Wasn't the problem more of people editing the files to get infinite nanovision or cloak, and not so much of people using aimbots? I've seen loads of people with permanent cloak (even while firing full clips) or who always have nanovision on in the killcams, but not anyone who always gets headshots and only headshots.

(In other words: doesn't this not even "fix" the right problem in the first place?)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Remember how there were fights with other nanosuit enemies in Crysis 1? They were the North Koreans wearing their own homebrewed nanosuits. I think there was even a boss fight with a NK general inside a nanosuit? It was a nice concept to fight against other nanosuits, like fighting your mirror. Kinda like how Venom is a great villain for Spider-Man because he's a dark mirror of him.

I missed that in Crysis 2. There weren't any nanosuits to fight against. Surely they could've had some CELL soldiers decked out in nanosuits. CELL works for Crynet, and Crynet makes those nanosuits, right?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think the leader dude of CELL has like a raging hard-on hate for the nanosuit program.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There were also the guys in the strength/armor version of the suit that carried miniguns.

I hated those guys, but enemy variety is nice.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've gotta ask, did anyone get a big 'Hunter' feel from the heavily armored Ceph? Y'know the Hunter's from Halo.

Arthil on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    There were also the guys in the strength/armor version of the suit that carried miniguns.

I hated those guys, but enemy variety is nice.

I... don't think I ever saw these. Or was that in the first game?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    First game. Near the end of the human opponents, around an area that looked like a mine or a refinery or something.

Astale on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    I think the leader dude of CELL has like a raging hard-on hate for the nanosuit program.

When you *spoiler warning*
    Barge in on his ass and toss him out the window like a boss, I laughed for a good 10 minutes.

Then promptly tea-bagged his corpse.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    By the way, have we talked about the e-mails yet?

Those give some extra information IIRC.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just finished the game. Ending spoilers.
    So Prophet's mind has now merged with Alcatraz? Or is that just the suit itself talking when he says "They call me Prophet"? Either way, Nomad and Psycho need to come back for the next game.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I guess it's just me and Keenbean on the PC :<?

Arthil on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I'm missing about 2 emails, a few key chains and I think about 3 collector's statues.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ya know, I've been down on this game's story, and how poorly it's presented, but... after replaying it, there is this one written monologue that actually worked. One particular speech that actually got to me:
    Hargreave: "Will there be an afterlife, I wonder? Choirs of angels? Or a fiery pit? One unlearns these falsehoods over time, but the child who learnt to fear hell is never really gone."

Yeah, that part struck me too. Probably the best piece of dialogue in the game.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So Prophet's mind has now merged with Alcatraz? Or is that just the suit itself talking when he says "They call me Prophet"? Either way, Nomad and Psycho need to come back for the next game.

Prophet is dead,but merged his personality and experiences with the suit's A.I. Alcatraz is technically now a zombie in the suit, which needs a living organism to continue moving. Part of him now is alien, as the suit amalgamated the DNA profiles of all of them. More info in the OP.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some other observations.
    One creepy thing about the entire game is, like someone else said, how the suit is keeping you alive the entire time. You're not the one man army, the suit is, the man inside doesn't really matter. You can't even speak (assuming because of the injuries). With Crysis 1 and Warhead, it was about the people behind the suit more than the suits themselves. Psycho felt like he could have been just as big of a badass without it, Nomad too.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    About what Hank said.
    Technically the suit does need a wearer, it would be nothing but a motionless piece of military hardware without Alcatraz there to control it.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Prophet is dead,but merged his personality and experiences with the suit's A.I. Alcatraz is technically now a zombie in the suit, which needs a living organism to continue moving. Part of him now is alien, as the suit amalgamated the DNA profiles of all of them. More info in the OP.
    Alright, yeah I get it. So Alcatraz is literally just a body at this point? Are any of his brain functions influencing anything? Or is he just a part-alien corpse for the suits A.I.? Which in that case would mean the suit is a straight up machine.

It would be pretty cool to play as Nomad or Psycho for the next game alongside Alcatraz/Prophet, to see how they react to him/it and how him/it reacts to them.

Hank_Scorpio on