As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crysis 2 thread of [DIRECTX 11 OUT NOW!]

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Answer: One Doesn't.

And where do you want to be a friend, Steam I'm assuming?

Steam works, my Crysis name is the same so you can shoot me an invite in-game if you like as well.

I may be on for a bit here in the next half hour or so.

But tomorrow, mans will be enshootified.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Remember how there were fights with other nanosuit enemies in Crysis 1? They were the North Koreans wearing their own homebrewed nanosuits. I think there was even a boss fight with a NK general inside a nanosuit? It was a nice concept to fight against other nanosuits, like fighting your mirror. Kinda like how Venom is a great villain for Spider-Man because he's a dark mirror of him.

I missed that in Crysis 2. There weren't any nanosuits to fight against. Surely they could've had some CELL soldiers decked out in nanosuits. CELL works for Crynet, and Crynet makes those nanosuits, right?

Actually, you kinda do.
    You fight four cloaked Ceph at once (one a time if you pull back and be careful about it!) as the game's final battle. It's pretty awesome, since they have some sort of uber-strong MAXIMUM ARMOR mode going on at the same time, unless you manage to nail them in the head with the Sniper Rifle if you've managed to keep one up to that point.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Remember how there were fights with other nanosuit enemies in Crysis 1? They were the North Koreans wearing their own homebrewed nanosuits. I think there was even a boss fight with a NK general inside a nanosuit? It was a nice concept to fight against other nanosuits, like fighting your mirror. Kinda like how Venom is a great villain for Spider-Man because he's a dark mirror of him.

I missed that in Crysis 2. There weren't any nanosuits to fight against. Surely they could've had some CELL soldiers decked out in nanosuits. CELL works for Crynet, and Crynet makes those nanosuits, right?

Actually, you kinda do.
    You fight four cloaked Ceph at once (one a time if you pull back and be careful about it!) as the game's final battle. It's pretty awesome, since they have some sort of uber-strong MAXIMUM ARMOR mode going on at the same time, unless you manage to nail them in the head with the Sniper Rifle if you've managed to keep one up to that point.

I wish there were more of those through the campaign, stalking and hunting you. Would have been sooo good.

Waka Laka on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You see them, sure, but you never really get to fight them. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought fighting them was a joke.

Cloak Engaged.

Stealth Kill.

Cloak Disengaged.

Recharge.

Cloak Engaged.

Stealth Kill.

Repeat.

BlackDove on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just played about 5 straight games of crash site. Had the most crash site hold points on 4 of those. All the while listening to a guy whine about how terrible his team was while he was decidedly mediocre in every single round. Come on dudes. We need to form a squad for maximum face raping.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Just played about 5 straight games of crash site. Had the most crash site hold points on 4 of those. All the while listening to a guy whine about how terrible his team was while he was decidedly mediocre in every single round. Come on dudes. We need to form a squad for maximum face raping.

What platform are you playing on?

Edit: Just saw your name in the OP under the XboX list. Sorry, I'm playing on PC.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Unrelated: Since the nanosuit seems to be symbiotic how does one poop?

We don't talk about the Maximum Pooping function.

Echo on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mulletude wrote: »

What platform are you playing on?

Edit: Just saw your name in the OP under the XboX list. Sorry, I'm playing on PC.

HEY DUDES!

If you're on PC or anything really, PM the OP so we can play with yooouuu! D:

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes indeed, PM me and I'll get back as soon as I can.

Waka Laka on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Actually, you kinda do.

Yeah, but they aren't wearing nanosuits. They just kinda stood there, charged you with a melee strike every once in a while, and took a shitload of damage to kill. I think I emptied my entire Marshall ammo and only managed to kill two of them on Supersoldier.

Delta Assault on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Echo wrote: »

Speaking of which, he never eats. Or drinks.

Well maybe he drinks while he's floating in the water or something.

But he never eats.

Well... maybe there are fish in that water.

But anyway, there's no opening for it on the suit. I don't think anyway. He'll probably die if you do as well.

This is so complex.

BlackDove on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PC DUDERS:

Crysis has it's own friends list thingy we should maybe use that to make it easier since probably some of us (me) didn't buy this on Steam.

Because fuck me running I don't really know what's what in that OP list.

Dr_Keenbean on
    edited April 2011
    Here's my favorite MP build so far.

Grendel with silencer and shotgun attachment
    Hammer pistol and frags
    Armor Enhance lvl 3
    Jammer lvl 3
    Mobility Enhance lvl 2 (working on 3, takes 500 kills!)

I'm 12/10/6 on the armor/power/stealth
    I'm not much for stealth. I am aggressive almost to a fault and my k/d reflect that.
    I know i'm talking to myself but lets pretend people like the MP here as much as in COD!

And my dogtag is the red ass Spanked one. The one you get for getting zero kills in a match.

Mulletude on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My fav build:

Feline w/ Reflex Sight, Extended Mag and Silencer
    AY69
    Frag Grenades
    Detonation Delay
    Stealth Enhance
    Retriever

Armor: 9
    Power: 8
    Stealth: 12

Dogtag is Drunk and Disorderly, which you get for being in the bottom third 3 matches in a row after 11:30pm, lol.
    Sometimes I also rock Fort Knox, which you get for personally killing all the attackers in Assault.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited April 2011
    Just played Crashsite. Had a score of 750 holding objective. Next closest teammate? 150. A few had zero and one had 90.

:(

Mulletude on
  • Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    don't realy have a favorite build so far, I am trying to level up to 50 and given that you get 7500 points when you upgrade a perk to level 2 + 3, I am preaty much just doing that, taking random perks, leveling them up, rinse and repeat

oh and to quote myself from a difrent forum:
    whoever had the briliant idea for stats to only update after you leave the server is the biggest god damned moron in the history of this god forsaken world and should be castrated, skinned alive, shoot and quartered

Enosh20 on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PC DUDERS:

Crysis has it's own friends list thingy we should maybe use that to make it easier since probably some of us (me) didn't buy this on Steam.

Because fuck me running I don't really know what's what in that OP list.

Agreed.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My current build is:
    SCARAB with reflex sight and extended mags
    Nano recharge ( levelling up still, almost lvl 2 )
    lvl 3 stealth enhance (for moving about)
    retriever (leveling up, almost lvl 2)

I can't wait to have the nano recharge up to lvl3 but as i said before, it'll take a while. I'm probably going to run that one as a standard. Enhanced stealth is there to stay too, I've become so used to it that it's hard to go back. The fast cloak switching and the longer duration makes it almost feel unfair.
    SCARAB is my favorite rifle in the game.
    And I'm at 12/12/12 - currently at level 37

BTW, my username is in the OP, so feel free to add me. I'm having a hard time playing online because of hackers, even though I usually take one of the top spots on the scoreboard. Hackers just really tick me off.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    o.k. fuck it, I am not going to play anymore until they fix the fucking stat tracking

in the past 2 day I lost all together something sort of 30k points, along with 2 kinda hard to get dog tags, so yes, fuck it -.-

Enosh20 on
    edited April 2011
    Enosh20 wrote: »
    o.k. fuck it, I am not going to play anymore until they fix the fucking stat tracking

in the past 2 day I lost all together something sort of 30k points, along with 2 kinda hard to get dog tags, so yes, fuck it -.-

Hear hear.
    What you could try is join and leave servers a couple of times to get the "updating profile" overlay and hope the stats stick. That's what I've been doing, so far it has worked. But there's no guarantee. But what is the damn problem with contacting the master server or whatever to update your profile? Even Black Ops would update your profile every time you changed something, right out of the main menu.

EDIT: scratch that. I just logged in again and my retriever stats were reset once again, 173/200 kills are back to 0/200. Awesome. That's very odd because I logged in and out multiple times yesterday and the stats were sticking.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: You know it might just be the retriever mod that's bugged. I'm going to level up another perk and see if it sticks. My nano recharge seems to have stuck, I didn't really pay much attention to the numbers because 500 recharges is too many to think about.

FINAL EDIT: So yes, the stats other then retriever are sticking. But now I am FURIOUS about the amount of hackers I've encountered: aimbots, speedhacks and infinite nano vision. My last match ended with a bang because the game chrashed, so all the progress I made the last couple of matches is gone too. This is unbelievable: I've seen more hacks after the supposedly anti-cheat patch then before! Untill this big mess gets fixed, this game is a flaming piece of shit.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Connection problems (and subsequent loss of all XP from the match), stats not saving, and unlocks not even registering as being unlocked (and therefor any progress made in them completely gone) whenever I log back in.

I'm done, C2 multi.

What a stillborn piece of shit.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got this recently...like it alot at first.

Played the first 10 levels of MP, held my own with about 1.5 kill/death. From level 11-14 I have been getting ROCKED. Kind of get the feeling that I am way out-gunned by level 25+ folk. Am I just having a bad run or is there a noticeable balancing problem here?

Kind of just want to put it down rather than grind it out. It's not very fun when I see a replay and the guy I just put a clip into finally sees me and takes me out with a single shot...

Stick with it?

SmallCaveGames on
  • Renaissance MandroidRenaissance Mandroid Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Speaking of which, he never eats. Or drinks.

Well maybe he drinks while he's floating in the water or something.

But he never eats.

Well... maybe there are fish in that water.

But anyway, there's no opening for it on the suit. I don't think anyway. He'll probably die if you do as well.

This is so complex.

As he rather bluntly puts in the novelization (amazing read, considering what the [awesome] author had to put up with in terms of [roughly] adhering to what happens in-game and the near-future setting), he has a tube up his pooper. And I assume that, if he isn't running on recycled nutrients and what-not, considering that
    he is legally dead and sustained by the fact the parts of his body he didn't strictly need now that he was hooked up to a suit that turned him into a walking invisible tank where walking is a misnomer because he runs so fast he gets speeding tickets had been broken down as raw material to be re-applied to maintenance of all of the parts of his body which were essential to Nanosuit function (i.e. nervous system)
    , he runs purely on the energy gets from ambient sources (solar, microwave, kinetic motion, electrical outlets, dead bodies [I am serious]). Although, it is entirely possible that, considering the short time-span the game takes place over, he actually does need sustenance (faceplate is removable), he's basically running on the Nanosuit's equivalent of Red Bulls the entire game. But I think the idea that he feeds off of the energy the Nanosuit feeds off of is the best explanation, considering
    his crushed larynx, his wrecked pulmonary system, his nonexistent heart, and any of several other injuries that have made him significant less than what is required of a functional human being. He's essentially a Frankenstein of re-purposed meat with nano-tubing filling in whatever plumbing's not covered

Renaissance Mandroid on
    ranar.png
  • Renaissance MandroidRenaissance Mandroid Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Something I realized about Alcatraz's voice.
    Either the suit is playing a soundbyte from when Prophet spoke to him, or possibly the suit is synthesizing what he wants to say with Prophet's voice since I don't think it's ever heard him speak. Think about it, the man had undergone enough injuries under that suit to kill half an army, I don't think he can speak anymore.

Novel reveal:
    The suit synthesizes it, as the entire novel is told from his point of view as he basically narrates more or less the game, sans whatever Crytek removed/added prior to game release, to an unfortunate grunt named Roger. Oh, right; and the whole "using Prophet's voice" thing is symbolic, I imagine, as in the end, they're more of a symbiont than objects that could be realistically differentiated, and the integration of what imprint Prophet left in the suit is merely an extension of the idea of the new Alcatraz/Nanosuit 2.0 being, as that was what was happening to him before (and partially why) he bit the bullet.

Renaissance Mandroid on
    ranar.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So... spoilery to the discussion and such.
    Alcatraz is nearly the embodiment of the Frankenstein idea in a modern form, someone on the last page put it perfectly there. Think about it, Hargreave is like the good Doctor and the majority of CELL could be compared to the whole villagers with pitchforks thing. Alcatraz 'Prophet' had mowed down an uncountable amount of their men so they all had quite the hate-on for him, I'm amazed they went with that final order to not get in his way any longer.

Just thinking about what he must look like under the suit is kind of terrifying, especially when you realize that the suit is technically... formed into him now. Does he still have skin except for perhaps on his face/head? Does the man even have muscle underneath that thing or has he become a series of human and Ceph nervous systems completely fused with the suit. What purpose does his 'meat' serve as anything other than sustenance, when all that is needed any longer is likely his head, and as before his nervous system.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited April 2011
    I like that analogy
    in regards to Alcatraz being the modern equivilent to Frankenstein, Hargreave being the good doctor and CELL being the angry mob.

Waka Laka on
    edited April 2011
    Just got this recently...like it alot at first.

Played the first 10 levels of MP, held my own with about 1.5 kill/death. From level 11-14 I have been getting ROCKED. Kind of get the feeling that I am way out-gunned by level 25+ folk. Am I just having a bad run or is there a noticeable balancing problem here?

Kind of just want to put it down rather than grind it out. It's not very fun when I see a replay and the guy I just put a clip into finally sees me and takes me out with a single shot...

Stick with it?

I'd say stick with it. I don't think level has any bearing on weapon damage (It should be the same on every gun for everyone). May be that the higher level guys are just better about placing their shots.

It's been said, but you're using armor when engaging in firefights right? And what weapon are you using as primary?

Edit-Forgot to mention that the higher level guys probably have alot of suit modules up to level 3 by now. I personally have armor enhance to level 3 and I can take a full on grenade blast sitting at my feet and it doesn't do much damage. That and when I use the grendel I can take people out with one well placed 3 round burst even if they have armor on. Dunno if that helps

Mulletude on
    edited April 2011
    I just played a few matches online and encountered not one hacker or cheater. I cried tiers of joy. Maybe they've also moved back to MW2.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I just read somewhere that being attacked while in Cloak mode increases damage taken by 65%. Thought that was rather interesting, they're certainly concerned about balancing the cloaking.

Delta Assault on
    edited April 2011
    I just read somewhere that being attacked while in Cloak mode increases damage taken by 65%. Thought that was rather interesting, they're certainly concerned about balancing the cloaking.

I think they added that with the latest patch. Take damage in stealth mode and you're also down to 0 energy. Brutal but not unfair. And that's coming from someone who's running around in stealth almost exclusively.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Joril wrote: »

I think they added that with the latest patch. Take damage in stealth mode and you're also down to 0 energy. Brutal but not unfair. And that's coming from someone who's running around in stealth almost exclusively.

Yeah, they're trying to bring it in line with Armor mode, I think. Armor mode provides some protection, but it also lights you up like a Christmas tree and slows down your movement.

Delta Assault on
    edited April 2011
    I'm owning faces in crashsite if any of you dogs wants to play a bit.

Mulletude on
    edited April 2011
    Any word on a patch to un-fuck stat-tracking?

No?

Back to AssBro.

Dr_Keenbean on
    edited April 2011
    Awesome. After fighting the third pinger I can't get any further. The guy says "this way!" than wont move away from the door. Awesome.

Mulletude on
  • SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The extra damage while stealth would explain why guys are one-bullet killing me in the torso. I think.

I also get the feeling that they can see me even when really far away.

Noobulous question: what's the alt fire - I have that weird electricity bullet thing but don't know how to use it - or maybe I am and just cannot tell?

SmallCaveGames on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, I just finished the single player campaign. I can't wait to replay it and find all the different paths, and get to explore the openness of the levels that I never really did in my first playthrough. The whole game was really great. Crysis 2 definately had some brilliant level design. I'm not so sure why people were so worried. I mean, there wasn't really a chapter as great as Relic in the first, but then again, I didn't really discover relic until a few subsequent playthroughs in. Overall, great fun.

My only regret is that the speed mode wasn't as fast, and you couldn't be quite as hit-and-runnish as in the first, which was especially annoying given the movement improvements with the grapel and the slide. But it's much of a muchness, and maybe I can cheat it back in.

Lalabox on
  • sullichinsullichin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    While the campaign is better than any COD campaign I've played through, both games suffer from generic action stories that are really hard to give a shit about... it feels cheap and illusionary compared to how polished the actual game feels.

sullichin on
    edited April 2011
    sullichin wrote: »
    While the campaign is better than any COD campaign I've played through, both games suffer from generic action stories that are really hard to give a shit about... it feels cheap and illusionary compared to how polished the actual game feels.

I was kind of intrigued by the conditions of both Alcatraz and Hargreave. Although they could have tried to keep it a mystery a while longer. As soon as a certain event happened early on one can guess, one can guess a lot of things, but among the guessed scenarions the one that played out was one of the easier ones.

Multiplayer update: I haven't seen any hackers since the weekend. A sign that things are looking up?
    Oh, and I got that Nano recharge module up to level2. It was 500 recharges, which is ridiculously much in my mind, but then I saw the whopping 1500 recharges to get to level 3! Which is bloody INSANELY high. Simply put: whenever I play Crysis 2, I'll be running with nano-recharge. And I might never prestige, because I'll never want to do all this again.
    Seriously, they need to lower some of these requirements.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also just finished the singleplayer and I thought the game was decent.

The story was okay, I thought. A fairly standard "aliens invade, now go to A,B and C to accomplish things", but what made it work was how they developed the suit and how it almost became a character of its own. What let the game down was forgettable characters and barely any dialogue to connect events so you didn't really feel particularly attached to the story and the aliens remained faceless and without personality throughout the entire game which was disappointing. Apart from the "jellyfish people" the aliens didn't seem very connected to the aliens in Crysis 1 either. In Crysis 1 you had these hovering blue squid-things obsessed with freeze-rays and storm generators and in Crysis 2 you have humanoid power armored guys and fairly standard dropships and mechs and biological warfare. It was a pretty weird transition.

Gameplay was also pretty decent, but I found that stealth kind of made every encounter in the game far too easy. It got to a point where I actively made it harder for myself by not using stealth just to get some challenge in the game.

The A.I was nothing short of awful. Too many times did I snipe some soldier without his buddy right next to him even reacting and I could kill half a platoon around a corner as they one-by-one turned it only to be greeted by my shotgun. Mostly the A.I simply had no answer for stealth or ranged attacks but it wasn't particularly good at flanking or working together either.

I also missed some of the traditional enemies from Crysis like the Giant Squid Walker or something like the mothership we saw at the very end. Just something big and nasty to show how crazy these aliens are.

Hell, I even wondered where the matrix-squids were. Also enemies like the korean nanosuits and their helicopters and tanks and whatnot which added a lot of spice to the encounters in Crysis 1 and were sorely missing in Crysis 2.

Murdering "soldier" and "alien soldier" in Crysis2 was nice and all but it would have been nice to meet a bigger variety of enemies outside of bossfights.

In the end the game still works though, because the environments are pretty cool and the gameplay is never boring. What left an impression on me was how cool they made the new suit and and how they managed to take a fairly standard urban environment and turn it into some pretty cool battlefields.

Hopefully Crysis 3 can take what Crysis 2 accomplished and expand a bit on the story and characters. If so, they would have a pretty fantastic game on their hands.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]