As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS Lite damaged by static

glithertglithert Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My friend gave me his old DS Lite because quote "I picked it up and I got shocked and now the top screen is all purple and fucked up."

I took a look at it, and the top screen works perfectly fine, except everything has a light purple tint. Is there anything I can do to repair this short of paying Nintendo to do it? I know it's out of warranty. I could just deal with it Commander Shepard style but it is pretty ugly.

glithert on

• strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can replace the screen easy enough, but if it's just the color is messed up, more than likely the screen is fine and it's a problem with something else, like maybe a loose ribbon cable.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My only experience with fixing Nintendo stuff was getting the motherboard on my N64 replaced. It was quick and cheaper than a replacement. That was over a decade ago, so I don't know what's different.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/repair/dslite_repair_home.jsp

They probably e-mail/call and ask you to authorize repairs like any good repair shop. E-mail them and see. :rotate:

MKR on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Since he ESDed it, it could be as simple as a chip or cable they can replace, or it could be something as annoying as a tracing that got scorched and is now screwing up the signal, requiring replacing much more stuff.
    I've ESDed a PS2 controller and 2 mice to death. It's annoying.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Come to think of it, how would that have even happened? The outside of a DS Lite is all plastic. He would have had to pick it up from the inside of the GBA slot or something. I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

glithert on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    The cable runs through the left hinge. It's possible that he had enough charge that it jumped through the gap in the plastic.

FyreWulff on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ESD can definitely jump through plastic if it's strong enough. That's how I killed those things above. Went right through the case.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png