As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New 4th Panel for April 1st, 2011 "How'd You Do That"

13»

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The camera person seems to be very concerned with Mike's feet.

So many shoe shots.

mcp on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is he on the couch?

I'll need to watch again but one of the running jokes is Mike's feet on the couch, to irritate Jerry.

Langly on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    McDonalds is even more ubiquitous and they still run ads.

It's probably just because Starbucks doesn't have any direct national competitors the size of Burger King or whatnot.

I believe I read a couple years ago that Subway actually has the most franchises of any restaurant chain in the US.

But yeah, you're probably right about Starbucks lacking competition. I mean, who the hell is going to give them a run for their money, Caribou? Pfff.

Subway actually has the most franchises in the entire world. McDonald's still creams them in revenue though.

I imagine Subway's food is a little higher quality, but the price is pretty all right.

Didn't someone once leave a McDonalds burger or something alone, and it still looked exactly the same after months and months?

There's this art project.

I get that this is supposed to be all shocking and "omg look the burger doesn't change lol" but there's no sort of comparison so maybe most burgers would just look that way. I mean, I'm sure it's stale and cold and whatnot, so it's not like it's really edible any more, but I've never left a burger out that long so maybe a cooked beef patty doesn't generally undergo much visible degradation when left untouched.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

It's probably just because Starbucks doesn't have any direct national competitors the size of Burger King or whatnot.

I believe I read a couple years ago that Subway actually has the most franchises of any restaurant chain in the US.

But yeah, you're probably right about Starbucks lacking competition. I mean, who the hell is going to give them a run for their money, Caribou? Pfff.

Subway actually has the most franchises in the entire world. McDonald's still creams them in revenue though.

I imagine Subway's food is a little higher quality, but the price is pretty all right.

Didn't someone once leave a McDonalds burger or something alone, and it still looked exactly the same after months and months?

I get that this is supposed to be all shocking and "omg look the burger doesn't change lol" but there's no sort of comparison so maybe most burgers would just look that way. I mean, I'm sure it's stale and cold and whatnot, so it's not like it's really edible any more, but I've never left a burger out that long so maybe a cooked beef patty doesn't generally undergo much visible degradation when left untouched.

Yeah all burgers do that thanks to the magic of dehydration
    http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-burger-lab-revisiting-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-burger-testing-results.html

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Now I want a hamburger

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i love eating me some smores gas board

Let's go look at some Van Go's afterwards.

This was really funny to me today because I watched the episode of Doctor Who last night "Vincent and the Doctor" and they said "Vincent Van Goffthf" or however it is pronounced and I was initially confused until I realized that it was pronounced correctly. :P "Van Go" is just the way my head interpreted the spelling.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i love eating me some smores gas board

Let's go look at some Van Go's afterwards.

This was really funny to me today because I watched the episode of Doctor Who last night "Vincent and the Doctor" and they said "Vincent Van Goffthf" or however it is pronounced and I was initially confused until I realized that it was pronounced correctly. :P "Van Go" is just the way my head interpreted the spelling.

I think that's how most American's say it ('Go'). It's certainly the only way I've heard it - until DW as well. Awesome episode.

This will blow your mind too - Gouda is 'HOW-dah'

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dammit, and I've been saying "goo-dah" all these years!

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ::boom::

Yeah, I generally just give up pronouncing anything close to the way its supposed to be pronounced in its original language. So tough to keep up on it all with how mangled the English language is.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    waiting for Go Dot

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'd expect mould to happen at least

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Neli wrote: »

I'd expect mould to happen at least

Not if it's all dried out, which is what happened here. Mold needs moisture.

Ivar on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gonna go eat a gyro

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just to be a gigantic tool, the pronunciation of Tycho Brahe is arguably "Teak-o Braah":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe

or even better:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00f54hx

TAFKAP on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    gonna go eat a gyro

Watching a food show (Check, Please!) the other day where people pick restaurants for everyone to go to, then they discuss. A woman who had been going to "Central Gear-rows" for years kept saying "Gear-rows" even though the other guests and host was saying it right. She also said, "..talk in their little Greek language."

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Since you're trying to pronounce a Japanese word in a foreign language, you use the appropriate pronunciation.
    Almost nobody does this, ever. Every language adapts foreign loanwords and pronounces them according to the rules of their own language. If you were to say to someone "hey let's go dress like ninja and samurai and do some karaoke while downing kamikaze shots" and you pronounced those words exactly like you would in Japanese

You would be a gigantic tool

The only one that really fucks with me is when people pronounce Nagoya as nuh-goy-uh
    Also the official pronunciation of Katsucon (the Washington DC winter anime con) is evidently Cat-soo Con according to the people on staff and all my friends and I think this is hilarious

Americans placing American accents on words like sushi or futon doesn't bother me that much because I get the romanization is a concept that most people wouldn't care about if I even bothered to try explaining.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to Americans pronouncing Japanese words, after spending a year listening to Japanese people absolutely murder their English loanwords in every way possible.

Houk the Namebringer on