Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

April Fools stuff

RentRent I'm always rightFuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
So it's April first again and that means more April Fools nonsensery on the interbutts

let's keep this thread as a marker to the all the good (whatever Google does), bad (whatever Kotaku does), and just plain awful (whatever GameFAQs does) april fools jokes there are

First off from Google is GMail Motion, a way to write emails using simply body motions over typing

youtube has Youtube 1911, with the top viral videos of 100 years ago

freddiew's youtube channel has 3D first person mario

LoL (League of Legends) has an April Fools patch, including fake "patch notes" (seen in the spoiler):
Spoiler:

and a huge, weeks-long joke about a fake, then real, then fake, then finally real again champ that is being released today called Lee Sin the Blind Monk

first April Fools vid here

real vid here
Dunxco wrote: »
This year Blizzard have gone with a Diablo April Fools, with a downloadable Horadric Cube app for the iPhone.

The page is here. I've never played Diablo so it doesn't mean anything to me.
Suriko wrote: »
[strike]Just animu shit.[/strike] More seriously, Minecraft's in on the action. TF2-esque item shop.
mattclem wrote: »
Dunxco wrote: »
This year Blizzard have gone with a Diablo April Fools, with a downloadable Horadric Cube app for the iPhone.

The page is here. I've never played Diablo so it doesn't mean anything to me.

Blizzard generally do a little something from each of their games (and indeed, often different jokes in EU and US as well). Not seen anything Starcrafty yet, but here's their WoW offerings.
The next content update for World of Warcraft introduces a brand-new feature designed to make your experience in Azeroth a whole lot user-friendlier. Meet Crabby: The Dungeon Helper! This adorable and knowledgeable crustacean companion will guide you through the game with useful hints, tips, and tricks for every situation. Read more about this upcoming feature on our new Crabby information page.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/dungeon-helper/
(Go on to browse the website a bit afterwards)
Deep below the damp graveyards of Duskwood, an ancient evil stirs in the darkness...

Featuring new gameplay mechanics, revolutionary Deep Dark® technology, three challenging bosses, and a host of incredible rewards, the Tomb of Immortal Darkness will be the third dungeon to see the light – well, maybe just a dim spark in an ocean of utter blackness – in the next World of Warcraft content update. Click here for a preview of the epic adventures that await!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/dungeon/tomb-of-immortal-darkness

Crabby is my new lord and master.
Rehab wrote: »
This one is pretty obvious:

1UP Checks Out Halo Dance Central

A couple of very mislead (for a number of reasons!) people are excited for the game.
JAEF wrote: »
Razer 1-upping themselves from last year with the Razer Talon
Turkey wrote: »
Karmond wrote: »
Starcraft's is up.

Starcraft Motion
Icemopper wrote: »
More technology related than gaming, but:

Advances in 3D technology leads to surgery that does away with the need for those clumsy glasses.

Unfortunately, those going through the surgery have reported blurry vision while not viewing a 3D screen, thus needing glasses for that. It is reportedly, "so worth it."
KalTorak wrote: »
Google takes it to the next level:

http://www.google.com/landing/csfe/
Big Isy wrote: »
HAHA I just noticed Suds is fucking with us steam users. Well played Man, well played.

edit: I kind of wish I had something as corny to play in my library just so I can 'beat the system' :P
RPS are tackling some of the important issues of the day.

That day being in 1873 of course.
MuddBudd wrote: »
Suds wrote: »
OptimusZed wrote: »
Cake Mania, Cricket Revolution

Where's Puppy Love: Hairdresser in all this?

There are a number of possibilities.
$gname = array('Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?','Blade Kitten','Cabelas Trophy Bucks','Cake Mania Main Street','Cricket Revolution','CSI: NY - The Game','Dive to the Titanic','Dr. Daisy: Pet Vet','Farming Simulator 2011','Grey’s Anatomy: The Video Game','Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull','Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets','Petz Catz 2','Secret of the Magic Crystal','Shrek Forever After','The Office','Wedding Dash 2: Rings Around the World');
Popcap playwave will let you play while you eat.

Like people eat when they play bejeweled.
Klash wrote: »
The guys at CD Projekt Red have decided to create their own rival project against The Witcher II.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/cd_projekt_red_new_project_announced
HenryVape wrote: »
citizen059 wrote: »
RaceDepartment has "leaked" a "developer version" of rFactor 2, which is due out this year from ISI.

http://www.racedepartment.com/content/1156-developers-version-0-1141-factor-2-released.html

Taken from a dev presentation PC this software will give all our registered members the chance to taste what Factor 2 has to offer first hand. It's brings two layouts and three fast machines in one simple download manager. So technically we don't host the files ourselves just the download manager with installation key.

We realize that with our actions we might cross any legal boundaries that jeopardize the release of the full version later this year, though the opportunity that was given to us was just too good to be ignored and we are just going to share it anyway.

I haven't downloaded it myself, but one of the comments in the forum thread was something along the lines of "using animal sounds as tire squeal - brilliant!"
Why just block the ads in your browser when you can block ads everywhere?!

http://chromeadblock.com/freedom/

I would buy this. I would buy it nine times.

post the other jokes on this day of tomfoolery from various game devs/websites and I'll edit the op to change

Rent on