Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Solving Crimes on the Small Screen

1356712

Posts

  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just remembered my current guilty-pleasure-if-I-had-any-shame.

    Does anyone else watch Hawaii 5-0?

    It's insane. All bad cop. And it has no idea of "cliffhanger" or "not shooting the perp" or "standard interrogation methods".

    Fun times.

    chiasaur11 on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Does he ever stop pretending to be psychic? Everything about that show was great except for when he would pretend he has having psychic moments.

    That just annoyed me.

    yes, they completely abandoned the entire premise of the show like three seasons ago

    The premise of the show was the things his dad taught him as a kid and how he used it to solve crime with his buddy Dule Hill

    Pretending to be a psychic is how he got a job at the police station, and I was wondering if they ever discovered he was "faking".

    if you don't think him pretending to be a psychic detective, especially considering the title of the show, is the show's premise

    then

    i don't really know what to tell you. that you don't understand premises, i guess

    Kusuguttai on
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll admit to that guilty pleasure as well. I caught an episode one night and after those supposed 'cops' spent the whole time just breaking things and shooting while cracking wise about how cool it was that they were being dingbats I figured it couldn't hurt to watch a bit more.
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    snip

    if you don't think him pretending to be a psychic detective, especially considering the title of the show, is the show's premise

    then

    i don't really know what to tell you. that you don't understand premises, i guess

    I mean really! Thats like 'Premises 101!'

    Drijen on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Look they were sanctioned by the hawaiian governor to fight crime by any means necessary

    Also Scott caan is awesome

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drijen wrote: »
    I'll admit to that guilty pleasure as well. I caught an episode one night and after those supposed 'cops' spent the whole time just breaking things and shooting while cracking wise about how cool it was that they were being dingbats I figured it couldn't hurt to watch a bit more.

    I know!

    I mean, after lots of cop shows where they talk about how "fiendishly clever" the criminals are and worrying about the legal system, it's a delight to have wall to wall violence and wisecracks.

    It's like a never-ending game of good cop bad cop where everyone is trying to be bad cop.

    chiasaur11 on
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »
    I'll admit to that guilty pleasure as well. I caught an episode one night and after those supposed 'cops' spent the whole time just breaking things and shooting while cracking wise about how cool it was that they were being dingbats I figured it couldn't hurt to watch a bit more.

    I know!

    I mean, after lots of cop shows where they talk about how "fiendishly clever" the criminals are and worrying about the legal system, it's a delight to have wall to wall violence and wisecracks.

    It's like a never-ending game of good cop bad cop where everyone is trying to be bad cop.

    The basic interrogation is just the two of them trying to one-up each other about just how severely they will hurt a dude or how dedicated to violence they are in regards to the dude being questioned. This is a thing that happens multiple times.

    Drijen on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Does he ever stop pretending to be psychic? Everything about that show was great except for when he would pretend he has having psychic moments.

    That just annoyed me.

    yes, they completely abandoned the entire premise of the show like three seasons ago

    The premise of the show was the things his dad taught him as a kid and how he used it to solve crime with his buddy Dule Hill

    Pretending to be a psychic is how he got a job at the police station, and I was wondering if they ever discovered he was "faking".

    if you don't think him pretending to be a psychic detective, especially considering the title of the show, is the show's premise

    then

    i don't really know what to tell you. that you don't understand premises, i guess

    A shows premise can change pretty drastically over time, though.

    Javen on
    bar-cc-1.jpg
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Does he ever stop pretending to be psychic? Everything about that show was great except for when he would pretend he has having psychic moments.

    That just annoyed me.

    yes, they completely abandoned the entire premise of the show like three seasons ago

    The premise of the show was the things his dad taught him as a kid and how he used it to solve crime with his buddy Dule Hill

    Pretending to be a psychic is how he got a job at the police station, and I was wondering if they ever discovered he was "faking".

    if you don't think him pretending to be a psychic detective, especially considering the title of the show, is the show's premise

    then

    i don't really know what to tell you. that you don't understand premises, i guess

    A shows premise can change pretty drastically over time, though.

    it can, but psych's hasnt

    Kusuguttai on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drijen wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »
    I'll admit to that guilty pleasure as well. I caught an episode one night and after those supposed 'cops' spent the whole time just breaking things and shooting while cracking wise about how cool it was that they were being dingbats I figured it couldn't hurt to watch a bit more.

    I know!

    I mean, after lots of cop shows where they talk about how "fiendishly clever" the criminals are and worrying about the legal system, it's a delight to have wall to wall violence and wisecracks.

    It's like a never-ending game of good cop bad cop where everyone is trying to be bad cop.

    The basic interrogation is just the two of them trying to one-up each other about just how severely they will hurt a dude or how dedicated to violence they are in regards to the dude being questioned. This is a thing that happens multiple times.

    Remember when McGarrett pulled a GRENADE to get a suspect to come out? And when that didn't work, he blew up the door?

    It's beautiful.

    chiasaur11 on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And concerning Psych, I do think the show could stand to lose the whole 'pretend psychic' angle. Similar to how Castle started with Nathan Fillion following around the girl cop to write a book, but kept doing it even after the book was finished, and sort of became an unofficial consultant who they actually valued instead of being seen as a liability

    Javen on
    bar-cc-1.jpg
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    i dont know about that though
    i don't think the show would be the same
    it's not really a show i feel has to evolve much more past the point that it's gotten to
    it's a crime of the week show, that's pretty much it

    Kusuguttai on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights Oh... did I win?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I saw the first three episodes of Psyche and then got annoyed and stopped

    So that is why I don't know anything about the state of the show today

    I Win Swordfights on
    9749f1e7cd91c6df81dc0df7499b3dcb.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the name of the show is Psyche

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I kinda like 5-0.

    Like if it's on tv I will watch it. But I don't ever see myself buying DVDs or anything.

    Much like burn notice.

    It's just excellent consume and forget tv.

    Blake T on
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    And concerning Psych, I do think the show could stand to lose the whole 'pretend psychic' angle. Similar to how Castle started with Nathan Fillion following around the girl cop to write a book, but kept doing it even after the book was finished, and sort of became an unofficial consultant who they actually valued instead of being seen as a liability

    Perhaps it could, but I feel like the tone of the show kind of hinges on the disconnect that the fake psychic thing offers. Like, it can be goofy partly because of the wink wink nudge nudge of it and making him just an observant consultant would lead to a lot of the behavior just looking callous as shit. If a normal consultant stops working on a murder case to get some horchata or frozen yogurt they would just be an asshole.

    Drijen on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    the name of the show is Psyche

    no, it's psych

    Kusuguttai on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think you are missing my point Kusu

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »
    I'll admit to that guilty pleasure as well. I caught an episode one night and after those supposed 'cops' spent the whole time just breaking things and shooting while cracking wise about how cool it was that they were being dingbats I figured it couldn't hurt to watch a bit more.

    I know!

    I mean, after lots of cop shows where they talk about how "fiendishly clever" the criminals are and worrying about the legal system, it's a delight to have wall to wall violence and wisecracks.

    It's like a never-ending game of good cop bad cop where everyone is trying to be bad cop.

    The basic interrogation is just the two of them trying to one-up each other about just how severely they will hurt a dude or how dedicated to violence they are in regards to the dude being questioned. This is a thing that happens multiple times.

    Remember when McGarrett pulled a GRENADE to get a suspect to come out? And when that didn't work, he blew up the door?

    It's beautiful.

    I feel like an absurd number of people get dangled off of tall buildings. More than strictly necessary, but certainly not more than enjoyable.

    Drijen on
  • ZonugalZonugal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are we talking about the greatest detectives ever?

    Dan-Stark-played-by-Bradley-Whitford-the-good-guys-13962401-385-513.jpg

    Zonugal on
    Andrew_WK_Sig.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Best TV detectives you say

    shield.jpg

    Hacksaw on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like Southland and I liked Life.

    Castle is good I guess.

    A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drijen wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »
    I'll admit to that guilty pleasure as well. I caught an episode one night and after those supposed 'cops' spent the whole time just breaking things and shooting while cracking wise about how cool it was that they were being dingbats I figured it couldn't hurt to watch a bit more.

    I know!

    I mean, after lots of cop shows where they talk about how "fiendishly clever" the criminals are and worrying about the legal system, it's a delight to have wall to wall violence and wisecracks.

    It's like a never-ending game of good cop bad cop where everyone is trying to be bad cop.

    The basic interrogation is just the two of them trying to one-up each other about just how severely they will hurt a dude or how dedicated to violence they are in regards to the dude being questioned. This is a thing that happens multiple times.

    Remember when McGarrett pulled a GRENADE to get a suspect to come out? And when that didn't work, he blew up the door?

    It's beautiful.

    I feel like an absurd number of people get dangled off of tall buildings. More than strictly necessary, but certainly not more than enjoyable.

    They also threaten people's families and cheat at basketball.

    IS NOTHING SACRED?

    chiasaur11 on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    You know what they say about Veronica Mars

    she's a marshmallow

    Bale, I love you.

    A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk
  • ZonugalZonugal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The ninth season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent has perhaps the darkest episode of any criminal procedural show I've ever seen. "Abel & Willing" focuses on "A tormented social scientist haunted by his family's Holocaust past performs twisted social experiments on couples to test the limits of goodness in human nature."

    It is revealed that the social scientist captures couples and hooks them up to a mechanical contraption where one partner has a gun locked in to aim at the other partners head. But they also have a pistol aimed at their own head. They are told they have a minute to decide, them or their partner.

    The end of the episode shows off a montage of forty or so couples crying while they murder their partners. The only couple that doesn't submit to killing their partner is an elderly one, with the old husband telling his crying wife he is okay dying for her.

    Jeff Goldblum starts crying and than you start crying and Jesus Christ it was so incredibly sad...

    Zonugal on
    Andrew_WK_Sig.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Law & Order : Saw

    A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk
  • ZonugalZonugal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Law & Order: Goldblum Tears.

    Zonugal on
    Andrew_WK_Sig.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When zonogul says it's sad....

    And sad not because it isn't depraved enough.

    Then you know it's sad.

    Blake T on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The ninth season of Law & Order: Criminal Intent has perhaps the darkest episode of any criminal procedural show I've ever seen. "Abel & Willing" focuses on "A tormented social scientist haunted by his family's Holocaust past performs twisted social experiments on couples to test the limits of goodness in human nature."

    It is revealed that the social scientist captures couples and hooks them up to a mechanical contraption where one partner has a gun locked in to aim at the other partners head. But they also have a pistol aimed at their own head. They are told they have a minute to decide, them or their partner.

    The end of the episode shows off a montage of forty or so couples crying while they murder their partners. The only couple that doesn't submit to killing their partner is an elderly one, with the old husband telling his crying wife he is okay dying for her.

    Jeff Goldblum starts crying and than you start crying and Jesus Christ it was so incredibly sad...

    What the...

    what?

    Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran TANK!
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like Law and Order: LA because the main cop was also the main Character in Jericho. Which was a show I really liked even though it had some big problems.

    Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ZonugalZonugal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    When zonogul says it's sad....

    And sad not because it isn't depraved enough.

    Then you know it's sad.

    I shall for ever be the proper scale for tragedy and sorrow.

    Zonugal on
    Andrew_WK_Sig.jpg
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    I like Law and Order: LA because the main cop was also the main Character in Jericho. Which was a show I really liked even though it had some big problems.

    I like Alfred Molina

    I think Alfred Molina is a very good actor

    Him playing a Mexican with the same name as my father is like a bonus

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also yeah Alfred Molina being in it is definitely a bonus.

    Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm watching later episodes of Law and Order on TNT
    and I feel like yelling at Thomas Wayne for not listening to Jack McCoy
    He's trying to get justice damn it!

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • ZonugalZonugal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    BusterK wrote: »
    I'm watching later episodes of Law and Order on TNT
    and I feel like yelling at Thomas Wayne for not listening to Jack McCoy
    He's trying to get justice damn it!

    I absolutely love Linus Roache as A.D.A. Michael Cutter. He has the passion and brutality of Jack McCoy but he differs in that Cutter will use downright tricks or theatrical gimmicks to win a case.

    But he still couldn't hold a candle to Jack McCoy.

    Zonugal on
    Andrew_WK_Sig.jpg
  • NechriahNechriah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Favourite TV detectives you say? This guy is mine

    be-704386720.jpg

    There needs to be a second season of this already.

    Nechriah on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    also, for one season of tv perfection, find a way to watch Terriers

    Langly on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    for 4 seasons of TV perfection, watch The Wire

    (I haven't seen season 5 yet so it could be 5 I don't know)

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This thread has reminded me again that I have watched and enjoyed far, far too many cop shows.

    Also I watched that episode of L&O:CI Zonugal mentioned. The subject matter was certainly terribly sad, but in true L&O fashion the presentation kept me thoroughly disconnected from it. I've never been sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it's been consistent through every iteration of L&O, no matter how horrible of an idea they come up with.

    Ranlin on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm surprised they didn't splice in the clip from Supertroopers

    Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran TANK!
Sign In or Register to comment.