As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video editing program/application recommendations?

LucidLucid Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've been getting more into found footage lately and would like to experiment/attempt to create my own found footage film. I'm not too familiar with video editing software however. I've been googling, and have found a bunch of different trial programs of which I'm unsure of how to discriminate.

I'm looking for ease of use and general efficiency, as found footage doesn't require very complex editing.

Any assistance that could be provided in narrowing this search would be very appreciated.

Here's an example of a found footage film I've watched recently to give an idea as to what kind of functions I'm looking for;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXxjtcd4-kw&playnext=1&list=PL40E9932B29BC2373

Lucid on

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lucid wrote: »
    So, I've been getting more into found footage lately and would like to experiment/attempt to create my own found footage film. I'm not too familiar with video editing software however. I've been googling, and have found a bunch of different trial programs of which I'm unsure of how to discriminate.

I'm looking for ease of use and general efficiency, as found footage doesn't require very complex editing.

Any assistance that could be provided in narrowing this search would be very appreciated.

Here's an example of a found footage film I've watched recently to give an idea as to what kind of functions I'm looking for;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXxjtcd4-kw&playnext=1&list=PL40E9932B29BC2373

For that kind of editing, you'll need a full-featured editing program; a home-movie-maker probably won't cut it.

That video would actually be pretty easy to do in After Effects with a bunch of keyframes in time remap; I think it would be more difficult on a traditional editing platform like Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

Another thing to consider is how you're going to find your footage. If you have multiple sources with lots of different codecs (avi, wmv, mp4, mov, etc), things can get difficult. I've found that Premiere handles more video codecs than Final Cut (and AE can handle just as many if not more than Premiere).

On the more affordable side of things, I've heard good things about Sony Vegas, but I've not personally used it myself. And I think Pinnacle Studio is still going strong, too. Those would be the two I would look at if you can't afford the Adobe products. I do believe Adobe offers free full-featured trials for all their stuff, so you could at least get a feel for their programs.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I too have heard good things about Vegas

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have Sony Vegas 9 and I like it, I don't have any experience to speak of to compare it to but it seems very full featured and despite the fact that I'm in general a computer wiz there are several functions and aspects of it that are over my head since I have a glaring lack of knowledge when it comes to video editing.

My previous video experience is limited to using handbreak or virtualdub in the past for encoding which is something totally different than what I use Vegas for (home video editing) and things but even then my knowledge was lacking and I stumbled through it mostly.

With Vegas I can use it just fine and get done what I want to accomplish easily. I may have to hunt or use the help or google to figure something a little more difficult out, but as far as splicing and transitions, fade in/out, text title overlays, messing with the audio tracks it's all rather intuitive and there are some good little tutorials included that are straight to the point.

I think I picked it up from newegg for about $75 two years ago and it looks like Vegas 10 is out and the package I have is the same price for the new version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=sony+vegas

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After Effects isn't too bad.

I figured out how to use it, so I'm sure most anyone can hehe

Xaquin on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is that video supposed to be stuttery-jittery like that? Augh!

I used Cyberlink PowerDirector to do this compilation from part of our last Avlis meet:

(slightly NSFW - rude gestures!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRmEapCtUkE

PowerDirector lets you build a clip library for a project, splice them together, change speed, do the stuttering thing in the link you provided, adjust audio tracks separately and/or add your own, it does effects and transitions... pretty solid tool.

spool32 on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like to use final cut pro for editing (then again, its on the school computers so I dont have to pay for it...)

The basics aren't too hard to learn and they quickly become second nature

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Out of curiosity, what do video editing programs do that, say, VirtualDub doesn't? And what features come into play as the cost goes up?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what does virtualdub have?

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what do video editing programs do that, say, VirtualDub doesn't? And what features come into play as the cost goes up?

Well, looking at virtualdub.org, it looks like the software is primarily a transcoder/capture system, not an editor. So I would guess that VirtualDub has minimal editing features, if any. I'm on a Mac so I can't download it and check it out to give you a better response.

As price goes up on the higher-end systems, you get compatibility with higher end formats & codecs (Apple ProRes, Red's R4D, etc), compatibility with high-end hardware, and interoperability with other post-production software.

For example, Final Cut Pro can send an edited sequence to Color for final processing & color correction and retain all your edits. Premiere can send sequences to After Effects for special effects and color grading.

There's also a large base of 3rd party plug ins for the higher-end systems. Red Giant, The Foundry, GenArts, etc... they all expand the usability & functionality of the host application, and aren't available on lower end systems.

It's going to be an exciting week for pros, though... Next week at NAB, Apple has bought out all the other sponsors at a major event so that they have all of the stage time for their own presentation. They're bound to be revealing the next major upgrade to Final Cut Studio, which hasn't had a big update in years. I'm hoping they don't turn it into iMovie Pro... or I'll probably jump ship to Adobe Creative Suite full time...

jimb213 on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    VirtualDub is extremely minimal. It can cut videos and save the pieces, it can append different videos together, and I guess that's about it. I know it doesn't do transitions between segments, and that it can't handle splicing of segments from different files (other than appending the whole file). But I don't really know what other features there are and that might be important above the level of "extremely minimal."

Orogogus on