As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

-----

DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Social Entropy++

DaltonCarl on

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I started making my own spinners from a kit my old man got me for Christmas that I used for trout fishing this weekend.

Besides that, I have a small arsenal of stuff. My favorite is whatever is working that day.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ---

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I did not get out fishing last summer and I need to make up for that this year.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    im going trout fishing this weekend

mostly i just use salmon eggs or corn

but whatever they are hitting on that day is the best

i try not to get attached to a lure because i lose em like nobody's business

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hi thread. you are for me. i'll be back in a bit.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Should have used "in reel life" in the thread

Puns!

But yes, fishing rocks and it is the only time I ever do realtalk with my dad. Hopefully go soon! So relaxing!

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    depending on where i go, freelining live shiners has netted (that's for you nino) the best luck for me. i keep a good supply of plastic worms and leadheads, but rarely use em anymore. the spoons i prefer are more like
    SW-Gold-weedless.jpg

'cause i'm like CL there. i've likely left a good college education wrapped around many a stump.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    smallies up here love a pig an jig. that's a pretty easy jig, fast or slow. bounce it on the bottom.

it's also the most likely to get hung up.

bass-fishing-jig-and-pig.jpg

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Use a trailing rubber bait like a lizard body or a worm. There are millions of types.

Rig is weedless style like the bottom of this picture.

Wacky%20Jig%20Rig.jpg

Hunter on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Black plastic Zoom worm for bank/cover fishing freshwater bass. I do so love the simplicity of it.Some spinners, some jigs.

Saltwater I usually use shrimp.

Favorite will always be topwater plugs though. Nothing beats a largemouth coming up on a topwater.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The best part of salt water fishing for blue fish off the coast of New Jersey is getting to bash in their skulls with a hammer or small baseball bat.

Hunter on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reds are running hot right now down here.

Jokes on me I have a fractured elbow on my reeling arm.

:/

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ah redfish. second best part of the inshore grand slam. my current shame is that i haven't yet been able to produce blackened redfish for a dirty south pax. haven't actually gotten to get my poles wet either (also for nino).

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ---

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been learning how to flyfish in rivers recently. Got a rod and everything

Think I'll be doing some of that this summer!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Someone teach me fly fishing, that is how I want to fish

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't fish much but I have had very limited luck with artificial lures.

I've always used live bait.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i usually don't fish with lures. powerbait and salmon eggs and worms for me.

or little bundles of chicken liver in a piece of cut-up nylon stocking if we're trying to get some catfish.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have never really fished to catch really big fish before

The biggest I ever caught was a foot long smallmouth bass that I had mounted and put on my wall because hey that's what you do with fish you don't throw back, right

Well, other than eating them I mean

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Small fishing is more fun anyway.

My favorite fishing is perch fishing.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ---

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    up the river from where we are building our cabin is a SWEEET little hatchery / inn / bait shop.

its run by a couple of old hippies who do nothing but fly fish all day

its pretty sweet

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Small fishing is more fun anyway.

My favorite fishing is perch fishing.

Some summer days on Lake Erie you couldn't keep a line in the water more than few seconds and you'd fill a paint bucket up with 90 perch in like an hour. It's not as good as it used to be though. Also lots of little fish is a lot more work to get them in the fryer.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My little list thing has me catching either a small or large mouth bass sometime this year, so I need to get on that. That one is a tribute to my grandfather, the man who taught me to fish. Some of the best times were spent out at their "summer home" (a trailer parked in upstate NY).

Also, I need to get back out there and do some deep sea or off-shore fishing. It's been a loooooong time.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, love me some fishing. I'm mainly a saltwater fisherman, I've had a few really big trips (around 300kms offshore) and really loved it. The fact we call our fish by different names down in Australia makes it a bit harder to talk about catches, but I usually go for mackerel species, salmon, taylor and tuna with lures. My lures are usually just stainless steel spoon lures, nothing particularly fancy and they work really well.

If I'm using bait offshore on reefs, I'll use squid, octopus or prawns and I'll usually go for snapper, dhufish and cobia. If I'm fishing onshore, it's usually mussels, prawns and squid for bait going for skippy, herring, taylor again, mulloway and whiting

Luckily, the west coast of Australia is not super over-fished so you can still catch good fish not far from major cities and towns

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I got my 6 year old son his first real (reel ahahahhaa) fishing rod and tackle box (complete with personalized Plano nameplate!) and will give it to him on Easter this year

I can't wait!

He's already caught a fish bigger than 99% of fish I've caught on his Diego rod (24-26" Catfish)

edit: Dalton, that was my favorite lure for years.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I got my 6 year old boy his own fishing vest this year so he can look cool like his dad and grandpa.

Not that anyone ever looks cool in a fishing vest, but it's all relative I guess.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ok, my mistake, it wasn't his Diego Rod. But he reeled it in =)

and maybe it was 18" not 24"

damnable photographic evidence

30712_10150186235540176_846855175_12652086_4477615_n.jpg

30712_10150186235570176_846855175_12652089_8236253_n.jpg

also of note is my terrible widows peak =/

Xaquin on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cadmunky wrote: »
    ah redfish. second best part of the inshore grand slam. my current shame is that i haven't yet been able to produce blackened redfish for a dirty south pax. haven't actually gotten to get my poles wet either (also for nino).

This changes next get together.

I REALLY REALLY wanted to go fishing this last time, but no.

I say we go hit some appalachia streams this fall Ed.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stale wrote: »

deal. i can't get the bug out of my head to get back down to bat cave, NC and lake lure. really not far from y'all.

and around here, kyle sounds like he's got the scoop.

e- really hatin this server error thing.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    DaltonCarl wrote: »
    anyone know of some strong short poles? i perfer shorter rods, just cause their easier to have fish with in my boat and what not. i want one thats under 5'

ugly sticks, man. i keep a 5-1/2' and a 6' for light work.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stale wrote: »

Be careful of some of those Appalachia folk. They'll rape your city-boy mouth, kill ya', and then they'll skin yer hide off to make a banjo.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My family is extremely cajun.

My grandparents favorite thing is a fishing camp they lease out in the middle of nowhere south louisiana. It was built by oil speculators in the 70's and has caught every hurricane in the mouth since then.

I've been there a few times.
    2rwojfl.png

It's... it's interesting. Lotta snakes. Lotta alligators.

Behind it is a federal wildlife preserve. And in front is a shallow alligator-laden canal. The only access is by boat. No electricity, no running water. A 15 minute boat ride from both salt and fresh water fishing spots.

They stay there days at a time. I don't think I inherited the genes necessary to tolerate this more than once or twice in a lifetime.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My family is extremely cajun.

My grandparents favorite thing is a fishing camp they lease out in the middle of nowhere south louisiana. It was built by oil speculators in the 70's and has caught every hurricane in the mouth since then.

I've been there a few times.
    2rwojfl.png

It's... it's interesting. Lotta snakes. Lotta alligators.

Behind it is a federal wildlife preserve. And in front is a shallow alligator-laden canal. The only access is by boat. No electricity, no running water. A 15 minute boat ride from both salt and fresh water fishing spots.

They stay there days at a time. I don't think I inherited the genes necessary to tolerate this more than once or twice in a lifetime.

this is where i want to go.

because next dirty souf, catfish courtbouillon.

and again, i will need to buy a pot.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah Jas, that pretty much sounds perfect and why the hell wouldn't you stay there for days?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lots of stuff that stings, bites, poisons, etc.

I guess I am just too domesticated.

I mean. It was alright. But 36 hours was pretty much my limit. I was like "uhh, I'd like to take a shower today, thanks".

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lots of stuff that stings, bites, poisons, etc.

I guess I am just too domesticated.

I mean. It was alright. But 36 hours was pretty much my limit. I was like "uhh, I'd like to take a shower today, thanks".

just scooch over an alligator and a few water moccasins and grab a bath!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The longest I've ever stayed in a wild man situation was 5 days. Sure there were no snakes or alligators, but there were bears, coyotes, eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, and Pennsylvania-type Appalachian folk. Real slack jawed yokels.

No running water, just an old well pump and a slapped together filtration set up so we wouldn't die of arsenic and lead poisoning from the frac water runoff from mining and drilling. The out house was fun at night. Take a lantern and your gun...just in case. Still, I caught tons of trout in the stream and shot a whole lot of wildlife to exert my human dominance over them, and then we ate the stuff.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ---

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I live right on the southern tip of Lake Michigan, and I've done my fair share of fishing on it. Haven't been out in over a year though, thanks to work/college. My grandpa and little brother went out for an hour yesterday to test out the boat and managed to catch 3 Coho. Now I want to go out, but I guess the boat was slowly taking on water. We'll have to track down the leak.

My favorite fishing experience happened when I was 12. I went to Canada with my dad, uncle, grandpa and one of my grandpa's friends. We caught 1500 blue gills in 5 days, because there is no limit on them in Canada. We spent more time cleaning and packing the fish than we spent catching them.

jgeis on