As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cisco IP Phones - Equipment?

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
Question about Cisco VoIP phones, specifically for a small office. I've used them before, and have a general understanding of what's needed, but it's really hard to dig through the hype-speak on their site.

If I want to add 5 phones to an office and connect them to the network, which will probably be a business-level package through Comcast, what besides the phones is required? It's an office with warehouse space, but fairly small: everyone is within shouting distance. No branches, local (Chicagoland) clients only. Just need phones for business-hours calls and VM.

So what besides the phones is needed? Is a server required, or only if I want to do more advanced options? Thanks.

MichaelLC on

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know about Cisco, but for our VoIP system for that small of an office would require 1 VoIP switch to connect the inbound phone lines to your existing network switch(es). In our case, the smallest switch will support up to 15 phones with 1 inbound line, 10 with 2 inbound, or 5 with 3 inbound. For voicemail/workgroups/autoattendants/advanced call control, requires a voicemail server. A single voicemail server can serve multiple sites given good network connectivity.

For the network switch(es), I would recommend one that supports VLANs and QoS. And if you want to avoid the power bricks for the phones, you could get a switch that has PoE ports so they get powered over the network cable. But none of those things are necessary to actually get things to work. Most IP phones have a pass-through port on the back, so if you don't have any extra switch ports/wall jacks, you can connect computers and such up through them.

Your VoIP vendor should be able to tell you all the pieces needed.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What SiliconStew said. Also, If you're going to use Cisco Ip phones you are going to need a Call Manager server. If you're going to use autoattendant, advanced voicemail service and other services, you're going to need a dedicated server like Cisco Unity.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you're rolling your own PBX check out Trixbox CE; it's got way more functionality than the old Meridian PBX we migrated from.

We've got some Cisco VoIP handsets working with our Trixbox PBX. Think we had to flash the firmware on them, but cannot recall if that was to convert them from SCCP to SIP, or to support some of the codecs we were using.

Djeet on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Excellent, thanks.

I was hoping there was an option to do it all appliance-side, but doesn't look like it. There's some 'inherited' equipment from the previous tenant, so will see if there's anything usable. PROTIP: If you're vacating an office, make sure you wipe the machines, particularly if you're in charge of recording eBay purchases and customer accounts. :x

Will check that Trixbox out too!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    If you're rolling your own PBX check out Trixbox CE; it's got way more functionality than the old Meridian PBX we migrated from.

We've got some Cisco VoIP handsets working with our Trixbox PBX. Think we had to flash the firmware on them, but cannot recall if that was to convert them from SCCP to SIP, or to support some of the codecs we were using.

I think the former. SCCP is a cisco owned protocol, so you cannot use it with Trixbox.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    tommy6ibtommy6ib Registered User new member
    With most non-Cisco platforms, you'll need to convert your Cisco IP telephones over from SCCP to SIP images before you can use them. The vast majority of hosted providers, as well as affordable IP PBX manufacturers, run SIP. You'll also need to obtain power supplies for your Cisco phones unless you are running a PoE Switch. Cisco phones require a 48V AC Power adapter to boot up, such as the Cisco CP-PWR-CUBE3.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    We just rolled out a Cisco VOIP solution with video, voicemail, autoattendent etc etc.

We've had alot of problems, but they are getting knocked out.

Ours are mostly 9971s (well for IT and important folks, everyone else has the non-touch screen version), PoE. We use a VOIP switch plugged into our normal infrastructure, with the phones plugged into the plates in the offices and the computers plugged into the phones.

• Options
    martyllianmartyllian Registered User regular
    With such a small office, you can always go with a small Cisco unified communications appliance like a uc540
    It will have Unity express on it (call management, voicemail, autoattendent, etc) Just make sure you get Cisco SMall business support to help get the kinks ironed out. once in place and working properly, they just .. work.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7293/index.html

martyllian.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Wow... thread from the grave!

Grateful though as that uc540 looks interesting. I'm familiar with network set up and protocols, but far from being a professional network admin. so definitely interested in 'out-of-the-box' solutions. Though I know anything that promises that is a goddamn liar.

MichaelLC on