As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

get a job filling daric's holes (DOUBLE ENTENDRE) [JOB THREAD] {BRACKETS}

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I have no problem picking up lobsters with my bare hands, especially since it's my job to purge and weigh them, then put them in the tank but after 200 lbs of lobsters it got a little old.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh no Sara oh no airports are my nightmare realm :c

here is a kissu,

tumblr_lcvw7urZUB1qe7q3ko1_500.gif

and a ukelele cover of fly me to the moon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHnQmBUTkw&feature=related

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God I hope I make enough money this summer to work next to or perhaps even no hours at all next fall.

I don't want to spend a semester in 4-5 physics classes and try to sell tvs 20-30 hours a week to pay the bills.

I hated being a salesman, especially up selling. Nothing worse then having targets to meet and being pressured to push crap that 99% of customers don't want or need.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God I hope I make enough money this summer to work next to or perhaps even no hours at all next fall.

I don't want to spend a semester in 4-5 physics classes and try to sell tvs 20-30 hours a week to pay the bills.

I hated being a salesman, especially up selling. Nothing worse then having targets to meet and being pressured to push crap that 99% of customers don't want or need.

That's been the best thing about this job so far. I'm not on commission, and the department is judged as one entity, not person by person. I don't feel the need internally or externally to pressure anyone into anything, I just answer questions to the best of my knowledge and make honest recommendations when asked to. I offer the warranty and services and quote fair prices for each if it's possible and leave it at that. I've had a couple managers, mostly self-appointed ones, tell me that I should do big drawn out presentations to every customer, but I've been safely able to ignore them completely so far.

That said I still feel the desire to get the hell out of that place and spend the next couple years really focusing on school and trying to make contacts for grant money during my graduate studies. But those bills don't go away because I have good intentions, sadly.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I made a linkedin profile

specialties: swallowing, pretending to like it

Scudo on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Well that settles it. 5th Element tomorrow night.

Yup
    Is it on instant?
    I should just go buy my own copy. Love that movie.

It is on instant, watched it a few nights ago.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    5th Element was one of, if not the first, blu-rays I bought. It was also one of the first regular dvds I ever owned

5th Element is so great

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chicken

Good

One of my favourite films.

Darric on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    oh man

we talking some 5th element up in here?

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Big bada boom! Bada big boom! Big! Boom!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    I finished my real work at 1 am. I just finished the volunteer work I do just now. I need to get up in four hours to prepare and teach a final exam review, as well as post grades on the shitty web interface we use.

I read a report today that said 'most graduate students are severely overworked, to the point where they may have difficulty maintaining any semblance of a normal life'

it is correct.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Scudo wrote: »
    I made a linkedin profile

specialties: swallowing, pretending to like it

I just joined roughly 10 nonprofit groups to network out more.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    One day I'll be a manager of software devs and no longer have to program. That'll be a good day.

Plus I like designing software way more than coding it.

Hahahahahahaha.

Yeah, it'll be so much better when you manage devs.

Hahahahaha.

Let's see, my last job I had two junior devs working on a project. One was doing more of the analytical coding, the other was doing the external interfaces and they both were doing the testing.

Week 1:
    Kako: Hey guys, how's everything going. I see you haven't checked anything in.
    Tweedledee: Yeah, we're waiting until we're done to check it in.
    Kako: o_O That's why you have a private branch. Check it in.

Week 3-4: Repeat Week 1.

Week 5:
    Kako: Hey, where's the test cases. All I see is a few test cases for the project.
    Tweedledee: Well, I wrote test cases for my stuff.
    Tweedledum: I figured Tweedledee's test cases were enough.
    Kako: You know the reason why we have code coverage reports? Because it let's me see that you two have 8% coverage and 6 test cases for the entire project.

Week 6:
    Tweedledee changes some of the internal data structures, tweedledum changes the external data structures. This leads to approximately 20 e-mails sent between those two idiots, all the while cc'ing me, bitching about how the other "broke" all their test cases and insisting that they weren't responsible for fixing the test cases that the other one broke.

At this point, I'm hoping our HR code will allow me to stab them in the neck with a pen. So I had to literally tell those two idiots that I don't really care who fixes the test cases and who's responsible for "breaking" the build, but if they can't figure out how to cooperate and learn to share like a pair of 8 year olds, I would fix it myself and write both of them up.

So they fixed the test cases.

And checked it in to the trunk branch.

So do what I already do, but get more money and a fancy title and maybe an expense account? I fail to see the problem here!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When I bought my first player, 5th Element was one of the promotional DVDs being used to sell units.

Sony had a deal where you got five titles with purchase plus Netflix rentals, back when they were single DVD mail order and not subscription. Guess which movie was the first one selected for the five free. :)

More layoffs at my company. Wondering if they will end up cutting so deep they cripple themselves. Plus it causes the very talented folks to go find something else.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The zoo is hiring! One bird spot open and one mammal spot open.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shit, I'm a mammal.

Blake T on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shit, I'm a bird.

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, no love for lizard people. Fucking speciests.

Hunter on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My first DVD player was in 98 or so. I remember I was in my first apartment with my ex-wife. Pretty sure the first disc was the Matrix.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    My first DVD player was in 98 or so. I remember I was in my first apartment with my ex-wife. Pretty sure the first disc was the Matrix.

DVD player in 1998?

You could probably use is as the box spring for a king sized bed too.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think think DVD was introduced in 96 or 97, so by 98 it was about the same size as a vcr.

I remember the brand was like, Apex or some shit. Whatever was cheapest at Bestbuy. Even then I had grasped what people today can not.

Digital is digital.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The zoo is hiring! One bird spot open and one mammal spot open.

I'll take that bird wrestling job

show them feathered freaks what for

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There was an opening for the Zoo down here!

Only problem is that it's all the way in Downtown Houston, and the hourly pay doesn't nearly justify the cost of travel :(

Godfather on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think think DVD was introduced in 96 or 97, so by 98 it was about the same size as a vcr.

I remember the brand was like, Apex or some shit. Whatever was cheapest at Bestbuy. Even then I had grasped what people today can not.

Digital is digital.

As the one-time owner of an Apex DVD player. Digital may be digital, but some people still manage to at least make it a pain to use.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is there a job available for kicking a bird in the nuggets

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh fuck I thought I had tested our html email newsletter in all the different email programs one could use to ensure that the formatting would look right and be compatible with everything but now we're getting replies saying the formatting is "funky"? Uh I assume they don't mean funky in a good, James Brown kind of way but that's not super helpful user feedback.

big l on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    automate thyself

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    updated resume.

only took a week.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got an unpaid gig where I do video interviews at conventions and festivals, as well as some side project stuff.

So stoked for this!

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »
    Just got an unpaid gig where I do video interviews at conventions and festivals, as well as some side project stuff.

So stoked for this!

Why unpaid?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So that guy that's been giving me migraines for the past few months? The one who can't seem to order materials on time to save his life?

Today I became his boss

Fuck

Usagi on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I think if you got a DVD player in 1999 or 2000 the Matrix was like the only movie available. Seemed like everyone had it.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    So that guy that's been giving me migraines for the past few months? The one who can't seem to order materials on time to save his life?

Today I became his boss

Fuck

Get rid of him.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Today I became his boss

Fuck

You can't do that, it's inappropriate to get involved physically with someone that reports to you. Also, Druh would really take it hard.

Hunter on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Today I became his boss

Fuck

Ah, that can be fun. Make sure you explicitly document everything you expect from him, when you expect it done so when you have to put a boot up his ass for screwing up, it's been documented and it's not a surprise to anyone.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am a meat popcicle

redfenix on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am super excited to get back to work. Being on vacation has been refreshing as shit, and now it is time to make the rest of this year my bitch.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was rejected from my first ever Blizzard job today.

I SHALL TRY AGAIN.

Also, more and more people are paying me to write cover letters and resumes, which ain't a bad way to make a few bucks.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I was rejected from my first ever Blizzard job today.

I SHALL TRY AGAIN.

Also, more and more people are paying me to write cover letters and resumes, which ain't a bad way to make a few bucks.

What job did you apply for and why on Earth didn't you tell me?

sarukun on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Secret canadian busting job is now entering crazy theoretical levels. I can see why you guys stopped when you did.

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.