As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They've signed one of the following:

Square-Enix
    Lucasarts
    Microsoft
    EA
    Take2

Sir Carcass on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They're announcing that they have signed a new publisher -- could be LucasArts. 25+ games to come from this new publisher.

SammyF on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man.

When is summer for you northern hemisphere bastards? :P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So this was an announcement that there will be an announcement?

/slow_clap

AnakinOU on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    REMEMBER TO DRINK MORE OVALTINE

august on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Someone posted a summary of the whole conference in the Witcher thread if you missed it.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    overcapacity33.jpg

The site is getting hammered

Big Classy on
    edited April 2011
    Shit, I did not catch that you get all three alone in the dark titles for only $5.99. I though they meant you were going to get them for $5.99 each.

Where's my wallet?

SammyF on
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I'll be getting that.

Are they only announcing one game today or are they announcing all of those?

Sir Carcass on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    overcapacity33.jpg

The site is getting hammered

Or is it a clever PR fake out making us think the site is getting heavy traffic?

I bet I blew your mind.

Waking up at 10am to know LucasArts games confirms my ... I don't know, something.

Caveman Paws on
    edited April 2011
    Dude.

Were you not going to have to wake up at or before 10 AM otherwise?

SammyF on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hahaha.

Oh GoG.

You card, you.

Drake on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So does anybody have any ideas what the Atari games are going to be?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Chuck GoodrichChuck Goodrich Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The suspense is killing me. So two good releases, and then several mystery atari releases, and then a mystery publisher with lots o games that we already signed guys, and then, maybe, in the future, if we actually do our jobs right, we'll have more publishers. With games. So we can sell them.

Just tell me what I have to give you to get Tie Fighter again. Money? Drugs? Who do I need to give my soul to for this to happen, just tell me already goddamit

Chuck Goodrich on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    Dude.

I woke up at 11 AM, what of it?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dude.

It's a sign you're failing at being utterly worthless.

Try for past noon next time. Otherwise you, heaven help us, may be accomplishing things with your spare time, making the rest of us feel bad.

chiasaur11 on
    edited April 2011
    I've been up since 5am.

Good thing I was working instead of sweating over the announcement.

Sir Carcass on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The suspense is killing me. So two good releases, and then several mystery atari releases, and then a mystery publisher with lots o games that we already signed guys, and then, maybe, in the future, if we actually do our jobs right, we'll have more publishers. With games. So we can sell them.

Just tell me what I have to give you to get Tie Fighter again. Money? Drugs? Who do I need to give my soul to for this to happen, just tell me already goddamit

Just a heads up, but there are ways to buy the Collecter's CD of Tie Fighter. The game works pretty smooth in DOSBox - Even if GoG release the game, they're unlikely to do much more than just package it with DOSBox in the same installer. It probably won't receive any tweaks or upgrades, since it's pretty much perfectly compatible already. It's even possible to go diskless, since you can make your own ISO of the game, and DOSBox has its own image mount command.

It even works with Joysticks in Windows 7. I was playing it the other day with my x52, though the game can't recognize more than two buttons on the stick.

Edit: Cripes. I meant to say, there are ways to buy it used. I think Tie Fighter is an amazing game, but I'd never shell out $142.50 for a new copy, particularly when the used ones are closer to $5-$10.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited April 2011
    It even works with Joysticks in Windows 7. I was playing it the other day with my x52, though the game can't recognize more than two buttons on the stick.

That's what the profiler is for.

I may dig this out. Crap, so many games to play right now.

Sir Carcass on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are 5 more games listed in the Alone in the Dark e-mail that are not The Witcher.

Hope one of them is a Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Planescape Torment and all it's GOG-recommended mods are installed... Time to give it a whirl (after work :( )

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I got me some Alone in the Dark just now. Need a new compy but 3 survival horror classics for $6 is a deal I can jump on.

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »

There was a western game called Desperados (which was essentially Commandos but set in the wild west) which might be the "Ride With Outlaws" title.

SammyF on
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kinda want to play Alone in the Dark just for the knowledge of the "first survival horror". And three for $6 is rad, but looking at gameplay vids just isn't selling it for me. I know it's old and all, but I can't help but think that this is definetly a release for people who have already played it all that time ago and loved it.

Then again, buying it gives me an excuse to also grab a patched up Septerra Core with extras.

If they partner with LucasArts, chances of finally playing Grim Fandango are looking good.

EDIT: Fuck it, 4 games for $12, I'll go for it.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dude.

It's a sign you're failing at being utterly worthless.

Try for past noon next time. Otherwise you, heaven help us, may be accomplishing things with your spare time, making the rest of us feel bad.

I know, I'm awful at being a total sloth. My wife, however, is a fucking champ. If left alone, she can sleep for up at 16-18 hours at a time and still go to bed early that night. It's fucking amazing how much she loves sleeping.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

There was a western game called Desperados (which was essentially Commandos but set in the wild west) which might be the "Ride With Outlaws" title.

And it was awesome.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mrmr wrote: »
    Kinda want to play Alone in the Dark just for the knowledge of the "first survival horror".

First survival horror? AITD? Nonono. I give you: 3D Monster Maze:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Monster_Maze

mattclem on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember someone writing that the tensest part of that game was whether the memory expansion would come loose mid-chase.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What game made you fear your past?

Might be Indigo Prophecy. I can't think of too many other Atari titles that really fit.

Cinders on
    edited April 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    What game made you fear your past?

Might be Indigo Prophecy. I can't think of too many other Atari titles that really fit.

Master of Orion 3

Sir Carcass on
    edited April 2011

And it was awesome.

I never tried it, but if it ends up being one of the new Atari titles I'll likely give it a shot provided there's a resolution there I'm willing to play it at. One of the things that I loved about Commandos was that the terrain was often like playing inside of a painting, and I could totally go for some of that in the Wild West.

SammyF on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    30% off King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest sale going on.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    30% off King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest sale going on.

Are the space quest games good, or am I going to walk away saying "I wish I'd played these when they first came out and had the immature sense of humor of a 10 year old?"

SammyF on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hear constantly that the Space Quest ones, in particular, are the best in the quest series. They're comedic, think Hitchhiker's Guide but less British.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, they're still good. A lot of the humor might feel a little dated now, mostly old sci-fi references, but it's still funny. KQ and PQ are both great series, but all three are different in their own way.

Sir Carcass on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, they're still good. A lot of the humor might feel a little dated now, mostly old sci-fi references, but it's still funny. KQ and PQ are both great series, but all three are different in their own way.

I'd played all the King's Quest titles and figured I'd pick up the Police Quest titles as a bit of a palate cleanser before LA Noire comes out. I might go ahead and grab the Space Quest ones as well.

SammyF on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Space Quest 3 has some of the most hilariously dickish deaths of any adventure game ever.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New release: Star Control 1+2 - $5.99

Catshade on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Catshade wrote: »
    New release: Star Control 1+2 - $5.99

I loved the hell out of Star Control when I was in middle school. I didn't have a PC back then, so I played it rarely at friends' houses. Star Control II blew me away by the time I played it in late high school.

However, it should be noted that you can get Star Control II for free here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

I believe it's the superior version. It's basically the PC version with all the voice acting and music they added from the 3D0 port.

SteevL on