As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Good Old Games thread. Fine the new Good Old Games thread. [GOG.com]

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, Ur Quan Masters is pretty much the definitive version of the game.

Zxerol on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Another 24-hour promo: Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition 60% off ($4)

Catshade on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Daaaaaaamn. Another World is just about the best platformer ever. If I didn't already own the anniversary edition I'd be all over that.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah. What game made you dream of the stars?

Well, there it is.

Drake on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When someone mentions Star Control II, I immediately hear "LAUNCH FIGHTERS, LAUNCH FIGHTERS, LAUNCH FIGHTERS" in my head.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't have a lot of games on Gog yet and it has to hit one of the ones I already own ;_;

Great game though

Pheace on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    When someone mentions Star Control II, I immediately hear "LAUNCH FIGHTERS, LAUNCH FIGHTERS, LAUNCH FIGHTERS" in my head.

:^:

Also, when I first heard the name "Lalilulelo" or whatever in Metal Gear Solid 2, I immediately thought of a specific type of alien in Star Control. Except my mind was a bit off; those were actually called the Arilou Lalee'lay. Close enough, though.

SteevL on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    Catshade wrote: »
    New release: Star Control 1+2 - $5.99

I loved the hell out of Star Control when I was in middle school. I didn't have a PC back then, so I played it rarely at friends' houses. Star Control II blew me away by the time I played it in late high school.

However, it should be noted that you can get Star Control II for free here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

I believe it's the superior version. It's basically the PC version with all the voice acting and music they added from the 3D0 port.

You can get Star Control II for free? And they even have an OS X version? I had no idea. Whoopdy Dee and Trolly Bazoo, I extend my heartfelt thanks to you!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Attention big, mean, hostile alien vessel hovering overhead in an obvious attack posture:
    This is Spathi Captain Fwiffo.
    I know you are going to torture me, so let's just get this over with right now.
    The coordinates of my homeworld, Spathiwa, are 241.6 : 368.7
    and the ultra-secret Spathi Cypher, which is known only by me and several billion other Spathi
    is `Huffi-Muffi-Guffi'.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, I've been thinking.

Of the publishers mentioned as potentially bringing games to the service, I think Lucasarts, Take 2 and EA are the most probable for soonest.

Lucas and Take 2 because they don't have their own download services like EA and Microsoft. EA because they seem whorish and put new stuff on Steam, why not put old stuff on GoG?

I think Lucas is probably best bet for the summer publisher. They did that 5 pack of old adventure games last year, they've been bringing back old series into current gamer consciousness (Sam & Max and Monkey Island) and ScummVM gets ported to, like, everything. I think I have it on my cell, just because I could.

I'm only really interested in Square if they could do "legal" emulation of old SNES games through GoG, with cool extras shit. Yeah, I'd probably buy Chrono Trigger again, why do you ask?

Medium Dave on
    edited April 2011
    New release: Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive

A must try if you like the Commandos series in any way IMO, and OH GOD LOOK AT THOSE BEAUTIFUL PRERENDERED ISOMETRIC LANDSCAPES

Catshade on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That really looks intriguing. A wild west theme is more appealing to my tastes than WW II for this style of game. This is going on the (ever expanding) wishlist.

Drake on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The one thing Commandos had that Desperados didn't was multiplayer, which is a shame. I'd totally enlist folks for a multiplayer LP if that was an option.

SammyF on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm afraid of desperados because those games are rapey mcrapes

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I like the idea of those kinds of games, but I can't handle them.

SteevL on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The screen shots make everything look so tiny. I mean, the landscapes looks like they're a great piece of pre-render, but I can barely make out any of the characters. Look at that one of the fort at night, it took me a good 5 seconds before I saw anyone at all. I think that'd give me a migraine

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    The screen shots make everything look so tiny. I mean, the landscapes looks like they're a great piece of pre-render, but I can barely make out any of the characters. Look at that one of the fort at night, it took me a good 5 seconds before I saw anyone at all. I think that'd give me a migraine

The fort one is when you zoomed out to see the entire map in one screen to get the big picture. You can (and will for 90% of the time) zoom in when you actually play the game.

Catshade on
    edited April 2011
    Well that's good news. I'm playing PT at the moment though so I might just bung it on the wishlist

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    Catshade wrote: »
    New release: Star Control 1+2 - $5.99

I loved the hell out of Star Control when I was in middle school. I didn't have a PC back then, so I played it rarely at friends' houses. Star Control II blew me away by the time I played it in late high school.

However, it should be noted that you can get Star Control II for free here: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

I believe it's the superior version. It's basically the PC version with all the voice acting and music they added from the 3D0 port.

Great, now because of this post I remember two things.

1) I really suck at that ship battles in SC2, especially at close range.
    2) I really, really hate the victory music for that CHMMR ship.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hate how GOG has started doing sales.

"Oh, FarCry for 5 dollars, that's a good price. Lemme just uncheck these those other 7 games that I don't want.... Oh. FarCry for $7. Ehhhh, no thanks, I'll pass."

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Settlers 2 gold is the best deal.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Desperados is an awesome game.

It's one of the few releases that have shown up on gog that I can say I actually beat when it came out.

Distracting a bad guy with a woman's leg and then throwing a knife at the back of their head was pretty satisfying.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Settlers 2 gold is the best deal.

Once you're nicely set up it becomes the gaming equivalent to a screen-saver. Very relaxing and satisfying to see all your work tick along nicely :) Combat is very wonky, but it's still satisfying to capture an enemy headquarters and just see a billion people emerge from it's rubble in every direction, only to slowly die :lol:

I actually nearly finished it way back in the day, but I think I hit a wall of disinterest and never returned to it ala. Fallout Tactics

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I tried the demo for desperados way back when, but I didn't feel it measured up to commandos, which is as perfect as a game gets in my eyes. So I'd always just replay commandos. Maybe I'll remedy that now.

PolloDiablo on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I tried the demo for desperados way back when, but I didn't feel it measured up to commandos, which is as perfect as a game gets in my eyes. So I'd always just replay commandos. Maybe I'll remedy that now.
    Man, I'm the complete opposite. I played and loved Desperados and heard how it was so similar to Commandos, and then tried that game and didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Desperados.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Facebook Contest: What Game Made You Go To The Underwold?

RoyceSraphim on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Eh, I know it's not Ultima Underworld, but it's probably not Grim Fandango either.

Likely something stupid like Neverwinter Nights 2, if it's from Atari.

Edit: Fuck, it's Dragonshard. That's even more stupid.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am just going to keep posting in this thread asking GoG to acquire and release Dungeon Keeper until they do. That's the plan.

So.... "Underworld" = Dungeon Keeper?

hamdingers on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dungeons & Dragons Apparently. Yeah, these guys are crazy.

Big Classy on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That hint is barely even tangentially related to the game they released. I don't know why they get such a kick out of being humongous cockteases; they know what people want. Absolutely NO ONE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD ever thought about fucking Dragonshard when prompted with that question.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited April 2011
    Whoa, JoWood sale, nice! Think I'll pick up The Guild and Dark Fall :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »
    That hint is barely even tangentially related to the game they released. I don't know why they get such a kick out of being humongous cockteases; they know what people want. Absolutely NO ONE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD ever thought about fucking Dragonshard when prompted with that question.

This time next year: What game made you ask yourself what kind of lunatic's asylum it is that we live in where a man runs around dressed as a giant bat?
    Angry Birds

SammyF on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There has to be a joke in there somewhere about how the Polish don't understand humor.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    There has to be a joke in there somewhere about how the Polish don't understand humor.

There is, but the Poles wouldn't get it.

chiasaur11 on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

BA-DUM KISH!!!!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

BA-DUM KOLACHE!!!!

(are those Polish?)

Sir Carcass on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

BA-DUM KOLACHE!!!!

(are those Polish?)

Close, Czech.

captaink on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    schadenfreude

RoyceSraphim on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aquanox games are $2 apiece this weekend. Are they worth playing?

emnmnme on