As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aeyther wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ok, how do you flippin save in Link's Awakening? :?

Press A, B, Start and Select at once I think.

You can just tap the touch screen and create a save state, unless you're trying to be as traditional as possible...

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't get the Start+select+A+B save to even work, it always just opens the inventory screen

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ok, how do you flippin save in Link's Awakening? :?

Start+Select IIRC

Edit: I Don't RC

Apparently it's A+B+Start+Select

And in the Oracle games it's just start+select and A+B+Start+Select resets the game. This has caused more than a few accidental resets.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    I can't get the Start+select+A+B save to even work, it always just opens the inventory screen

I think the Y button emulates Select, but X doesn't emulate Start? Just use two hands to hit the legit Start and Select buttons with A and B.

That said, I can't think of any benefit from not using the official 3DS save state function. It's not like the Wii save states: I'm pretty sure the 3DS save state is permanent and doesn't auto-delete when you load it up.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awww the whole virtual console catalog isn't available? I want Link to the Past damnit!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awww the whole virtual console catalog isn't available? I want Link to the Past damnit!

3DS VC is just Gameboy/Gameboy Color. And eventually Game Gear and TG16 so far.

Jishian on
  • Options
    gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Will Link's awakening be released for europe today as well?

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
  • Options
    wakaranaiwakaranai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TimFiji wrote: »
    They mention anything about Netflix? I didn't see anything when I checked.

Yeah, I didn't see anything about it either. That's kinda worrying... especially since it was due for a summer release. If it's anything like the late May update, we're looking at a slightly longer summer.

wakaranai on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So happy about Smash. So fucking happy.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jishian wrote: »

Why no SNES or NES? That seems silly.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, $5.99 for Link's Awakening? Seems kind of high. And of course I can't just add $5.99 to my wallet, no, that would be too simple.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The money purchasing crap pisses me off honestly. I SWEAR it was said somewhere (maybe last e3?) that the 3DS store was not going to be stupid and let you actually charge directly for the shit you want to buy. Not only is this not true, but they have the gall to price things at $#.99 values when you can only purchase at $#.00 values.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I can't get either Cave Story OR Link's Awakening (at least not yet) in Australia. I can get Shantae by changing my region to somewhere in Europe but that doesn't let me buy Cave Story. Bleeeegh.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Link's Awakening DX is on the eShop now, for $3.99

3.99?!? My 3ds says 5.99 o_O

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    The money purchasing crap pisses me off honestly. I SWEAR it was said somewhere (maybe last e3?) that the 3DS store was not going to be stupid and let you actually charge directly for the shit you want to buy. Not only is this not true, but they have the gall to price things at $#.99 values when you can only purchase at $#.00 values.

Also, tax.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jishian wrote: »

Why no SNES or NES? That seems silly.

Maybe they'll get around to it when they tie purchases to an account rather than a system.

Maybe they would rather do 3D Classics versions of the NES and SNES games. If they put as much time into them as they did Excitebike, I certainly won't fault them for it.

Jishian on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My search for 3DS cards in the wild has been wildly unsuccessful.

Gamestop has them, can't activate them. BB can activate them, does not have them. Walmart and Target keep trying to sell me Wii points cards, which are great and all but do not work on the 3DS.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So wait..3DS owners arent getting Four Swords? Or are we getting it later on?

omega71 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

No, all they said was that they were dropping Nintendo points and letting you put money into your virtual wallet directly.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    3DS runs all DSi ware. It's coming to DSi ware for free. Your 3DS therefore can run it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    3DS runs all DSi ware. It's coming to DSi ware for free. Your 3DS therefore can run it.

I figured that, I just did not see it under DSiWare. I got all of the videos and everything so my eshop was updated, and I searched for Zelda and it did not come up.

Edit- Nevermind, I am an idiot and did not read it was coming out in September

omega71 on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I now have $4.01 in my 3DS wallet thing, go fuck yourselves Nintendo.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey, guess what, I hate the 3DS browser. It's faster than the DSi one and all, but it is missing a lot of features. DSi let you search within a page for text. This one can't do that, so GFAQs is about useless for finding help quickly. You also can't change the zoom independantly on the top and bottom screen. Sucks. I hope they update it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it just me, or does Super Mario 3DS look kinda... floaty, slow, and uninspired? I'm getting a NSMB(DS) vibe way more than a Galaxy vibe here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1PXJT9jGA

edit: don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to see how they've integrated 2D Mario3-style gameplay into 3D, and I have the utmost faith in the Galaxy team. It might just be that the music's so fucking twee it's impossible to get excited about it.

Seol on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure if this got posted, but this site is gathering all the AR codes for the Pokedex, and even has handy links so that you can add them to yours. I picked up 3 or 4 of them, but the others show up as shadows for now.

http://www.pokemonaus.com/?p=3585

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got Link's awakening, and it said something about save states. I disabled it for now, but want to turn it on. I can't find a button anywhere. How do I do this?

EDIT: Found it. Start + X + R will enable/disable restore points.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, shop is great and all, but I really wish I could set up a download queue and continue browsing the store while the download continues in the background.

Edit: I also like how there's an age verification for MGS, but not one for Resident Evil: Revelations.

Edit2: Paper Mario looks so great in 3D. I want that game NOW.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    RE has an age verification, it just doesn't ask you again until you leave the shop.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The temptation to pick up links awakening as a prelude to OoT 3DS is very very strong.

Nintendo knows I am weak for the zelda goodness.

You may win this round, Iwata and co.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey, guess what, I hate the 3DS browser. It's faster than the DSi one and all, but it is missing a lot of features. DSi let you search within a page for text. This one can't do that, so GFAQs is about useless for finding help quickly. You also can't change the zoom independantly on the top and bottom screen. Sucks. I hope they update it.

That's cool. I like it.

I was watching youtube videos on my Wii browser and the status bar wouldn't go away, so I looked up the answer on my 3DS. Lot's of things are useless for finding help quickly. Paper strategy guides don't have Ctrl-F either, they suck!

Could it use more features? Probably. Will I use it anyway? Yes.

Jishian on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad you can finally download 3D videos onto this thing, Super Mario has the best use of 3D I've seen so far!

Cristoval on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I won my first Throwdown match in DoA :D

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zelda DX is a blast from that past. I'm really liking this as a prelude to OoT. I probably beat it 3 or 4 times in my youth but I never owned my own copy.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I do think Super Mario 3D looks kind of floaty, slow and uninspired. But I think Galaxy was too, to a lesser degree.

Either way, the idea that this is a successor to Super Mario 64 is kind of ridiculous based on the trailer.

Edit: But the music in the trailer is great.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I now have $4.01 in my 3DS wallet thing, go fuck yourselves Nintendo.

$0.01 cash back on all purchases! Buy 599 games and get Link's Awakening Free!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nintendo Roundtable. Focusing on the 3DS

EDIT: Scratch that, not focusing on the WiiU.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, I have totally forgotten how to play Excite Bike. How did I lose all the skills my 5yr old self developed!?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why do I keep stopping on the jumps? I have never played excitebike.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why do I keep stopping on the jumps? I have never played excitebike.

Lean bike forward or get wheels straight. Land on the backwheel and you slow down/stop.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    For me the thing that has justified the eShop is not any of the games or the browser, but these 3D videos. It's really awesome to be able to see these games looking just about like they will on the actual system. I even like that we get to download them, it makes them a (possibly) permanent bit of swag and they're good quality trailers, not just streamed.

Great stuff.

UncleSporky on