Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Scroll [Buttoneers] so good, like the butter on a muffin (Discount GET!)

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
I was told that someone needed to start the button thread... so let's get these buttons started!

...What is this?

"Buttoneering" is the acquisition and collection of custom buttons created by Penny Arcade forum-goers who also go to PAX Prime. The tradition was started... when was it? 2008? Either way, it was started by fellow forumer RedHalo, and continues to this day!

(I'm going to copy/paste most of this from last year, let me know if anything needs to be added! (I'm META copying and pasting - I'm copying and pasting from eye-shuh's copy and paste last year! Woot!))

For those new to this, we use buttons depicting our forum avatars (or any unique picture/logo with your handle) as a means of identifying each other in the swarms of people at PAX. Only, like everything else PAX related, we take it to the next level of nerdism buying our buttons in bulk and then trading them one for one with each other. Just like Pokemon. We had some fantastic designs last year, lets see if we can top them this round?

Feel free to post pictures of your designs, but remember: the size limit for inline images (even behind spoilers) is 500KB. Please remember to link larger images or shrink your images down before posting them. The thread will be skimmed and pics added to the OP.

REMEMBER, in order to show up on this list you must register and post your buttons at our official buttoneering site:

BUTTONEERING!.org

Where can I get buttons made?

For the best service and price we have found previously that Purebuttons.com is hard to beat.

Purebuttons agreed to give us a deal again because they're epic! The code is forthcoming: be patient, young button samurai! Your time will come.

1.5" seems to be a good button size, easy to clasp, plenty of face without being too big, but feel free to go with whatever size or shape you like.

You will definitely be able to give away 100 buttons. 100-150 is a good number if you're just starting out. If you're especially social or willing to give away your buttons to people who weren't able to create any, but collecting anyway (it happens), then 200 is probably a good amount. I mad 150 last year and had about 10 left over.

On the page for each button size at Purebuttons they have a link to a template for making your own button. I have linked the 1.5" button. The black line is the full size of the image you should fill in. The dashed line defines the area that you will see on the front of the button. The space between the lines will end up being the folded edge of your buttons so you'll want to keep anything important out of that area but keep some kind of color/design continuous across the entire area within the black line.

I Herd U Leik Discounts

PBPAX2011 - The discount code graciously given to us by Pure Buttons! Use it or lose it!

Frequently asked questions:
Spoiler:

The Great Buttoneering Meetup:

Let's do this nice and informally. The Button Meetup will be on Sunday after the closing of the Omegathon, just outside of the front doors of the convention center. It'll be a "come as you are, stay as long as you want, leave whenever" kind of thing that'll mostly consist of trading until you run out of buttons!

Button App:

JonXP has finished his great creation! When you finish your button, post it on the official buttoneering website (see the giant orange link above!):

Features:
  • Upload your buttons and see everyone else's
  • Easily track the ones you've collected
  • Lots of cool filters and sorting to help you find the button you're looking for
  • Makes VThornheart's life easier by exporting the button list in BBCode format
  • Keep up with your collection from year to year, event to event, so you can see just how much awesome you've seen

This way, we have a very convenient way for everyone to see the buttons and hopefully build upon it with butonneering apps and the like!

So sign up, (make sure to use your forum name from here!), check your email for the confirmation, and then upload your artwork.

Click here for the shortcut to the button list for this year's PAX

Officially registered buttons:
Spoiler:

Are you not on the list? Then you didn't sign up at http://buttoneering.org, so do it right away!

VThornheart on
$14,276 for Child's Play from the Cookie Brigade at PAX Prime 2011!!!
Join the Cookie Brigade Forum for PAX Prime 2011 now! We need your help! If you decide to join, sign up at the Cookie Brigade website!