As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of might and men [Weightlifting]

Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++
Does this seem awesome?

Weightlifting_Action_Gallery5.jpg

or this?

Caber_throw.jpg

Or is this more your speed?

PEOPLESPULLLG.jpg

Whatever type of lifting you fancy, this is where we get together and talk about it.

Links worth checking out:

http://www.elitefts.com/
http://www.straighttothebar.com/
http://www.dieselcrew.com/
http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Joe Chemo on

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A kilt and knee-high socks are absolutely essential to the log-throwing experience

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This just reminds me of that episode of Samurai Jack where he rescues the Scotsman's wife

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    god I would LOVE to do a caber toss!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This just reminds me of that episode of Samurai Jack where he rescues the Scotsman's wife

That sounds...... fantastic. I really do have to try and find a copy of Samurai Jack one of these days, since i missed most of it the first go around

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So that's how you judge a caber toss.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That guy has shorts under his kilt.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    no true scotsman would ever wear shorts under his kilt

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dare I say it?
    MORE LOGS FOR THE LOG GOD

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    A gym here has an annual membership that is $300. I thought that was too expensive at first, and then I saw my ghoulish frame in a mirror.

Either way, my 30lb freeweight regime got old/useless quick. Looking for alternatives.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm moving to a place real soon where I'll have room to do tire flips and I think I might get one of those sleds too. Hooray for having room outside!

$300 is pretty damn cheap. Do they have good equipment?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. It's a boxing gym and they're open 24/7. Pretty quality.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    so would a weighted sled like the prowler be able to be used on dirt/grass or gravel?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Matt

I love that video

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    webguy20 wrote: »
    so would a weighted sled like the prowler be able to be used on dirt/grass or gravel?

I have a prowler type sled (the actual prowler is overpriced so I got a welder to make me one cheaper) that I sometimes use in my backyard. It really doesn't work that well on grass. It is kind of stop and go - tough to get going and easy once it is, and it tears up the grass. On asphalt/concrete it is much smoother and really all around better. But, it is loud, and I feel weird doing it in the street in my residential neighborhood. I have never tried gravel or dirt but I imagine it would be in between. Really for it to work like it is supposed to I think it kind of has to be asphalt or field turf or something hard and flat.

big l on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I went to the gym today! I was a man!

Godfather on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I paid like $200 for a year's membership at my 24/7 gym. Depending on the area / quality of the gym, $300 might not be much worse.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've managed to keep my gym routine going for a good couple of weeks now, I'm pretty happy! Sure it's only a half hour of cardio and some situps and shit but I've been doing it 4-5 times a week so hopefully I'll start shedding some of this extra pudge if I keep it up.

Ten on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ughh, I'm thinking I may have strained my right hamstring on my deadlift tonight. Hopefully I backed off quickly enough to avoid anything serious. I really don't want to have to take any time off deadlifts. I suppose I'll know tomorrow!

Also great job, Ben! :D Keep it up, for sure

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tonight was the first time I've skinned my knee doing deadlifts.

So that was kinda neat.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Where do you go, Ben? Need a gym buddy?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Where do you go, Ben? Need a gym buddy?

We have a fitness room in the building so I just go down there, not much equipment but enough for what I need to do. I think if I had to leave the actual building to exercise it would never happen.

Ten on
  • Options
    imsusanimsusan Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    It's awesome. Rather, I don't like to lift heavy stuff. (:

imsusan on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    no gym buddy then~

Guess I'll head over to the boxing gym and give them a check this weekend. Need to get a start on my shit.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    attempted 3x3 @ 305 on squats tonight, unsuccessfully

ended up being 2x3 , 1x1

can already tell i'm going to be sore tomorrow

the wook on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my shin is all scraped and kinda banged up

that means i am deadlifting again

huzzuh

need some socks or something? or i just deal with it...

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    an actual important question kind of

often after working out

random muscles will cramp up really badly
    like my calves for example, or yesterday, it was one of my hamstrings, and that hurts like a motherfucker

what do i do about it?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wear pants while deadlifting. Still some bruises, but that's ok I guess.

jklong on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    an actual important question kind of

often after working out

random muscles will cramp up really badly
    like my calves for example, or yesterday, it was one of my hamstrings, and that hurts like a motherfucker

what do i do about it?

That shit happens to me sometimes too. Everyone says drink more water, and eat more bananas. Still doesn't help me.

What do you guys think about creatine causing cramps? I do seem to get more cramps when I'm on, but that might be caused by some unrelated factor. Nothing I can think of from what I know about creatine should cause it. It's not like it blocks sodium intake, or causes dehydration...

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my shin is all scraped and kinda banged up

that means i am deadlifting again

huzzuh

need some socks or something? or i just deal with it...

As much as I enjoyed walking around the gym bleeding profusely and grinning like a lunatic at everyone, the gym management at your typical globo gym will probably not be too happy with you.

A pair of soccer socks will solve your problem.

Finally overhead pressed 145 last night. Boss.

Gork on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last night decided I was going to try starting mobility WOD which I had been putting off. So I start the 10 min squat and realize my feet/ankles really don't like the position and it's tight, and it hurts a little, I don't think much of it, go on with it for a few then get to sleep.

Today my left foot/ankle is KILLING me near the heel, something on the medial side of my foot near the heel feels insanely tight and I'm having trouble keeping my foot flat on the ground, I have to sort of keep weight out the lateral/outside area. ((think my terminology is right.)) Anyone take a guess at WTF I did and if it's a doctors visit or not? Gonna try to stay off of it, icing it like crazy right now.

Also, 300a year for a boxing gym seems VERY cheap if they have decent gear. I don't even want to say what I'm paying a year for my normal gym, much less my MMA gym.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    I'm through my first two weeks of a new 5-day schedule and I'm already thinking of how to make it harder. I should probably give it a month before I start fucking with it, though.

A duck! on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Baseball socks are also awesome deadlifting socks.

I won an Amazon gift card at work and I can't decide whether to get some of the Malazan books that I don't have or some of that Superpump stuff that A duck! loves. Decisions decisions.

Peen on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    I'm through my first two weeks of a new 5-day schedule and I'm already thinking of how to make it harder. I should probably give it a month before I start fucking with it, though.

What's your new routine, Duck? I've been doing 5/3/1 since September, so I'm curious to see what you're progressing to.

And yeah, $300 is cheap as hell. I pay $840.

Gork on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After a loooong break, I started weightlifting again Monday. I still can't move my arms without them hurting.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Last night decided I was going to try starting mobility WOD which I had been putting off. So I start the 10 min squat and realize my feet/ankles really don't like the position and it's tight, and it hurts a little, I don't think much of it, go on with it for a few then get to sleep.

Today my left foot/ankle is KILLING me near the heel, something on the medial side of my foot near the heel feels insanely tight and I'm having trouble keeping my foot flat on the ground, I have to sort of keep weight out the lateral/outside area. ((think my terminology is right.)) Anyone take a guess at WTF I did and if it's a doctors visit or not? Gonna try to stay off of it, icing it like crazy right now.

Also, 300a year for a boxing gym seems VERY cheap if they have decent gear. I don't even want to say what I'm paying a year for my normal gym, much less my MMA gym.

just you wait till mobility wod 2

if your hips are anything like mine

you will have trouble not going into the pain cave, as he advises not to do

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DaimajinDaimajin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    buh-leted

Daimajin on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No sweat man, a lot of us started in here from the lightest of weights. We're cool.

Also I demand that the thread title be changed to "we lift things up and put them down" at some point.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i should get some socks huh

or just wear sweatpants when i deadlift or something...

at the very least i need to make sure i disinfect the bar

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fridays are my new squat days. Apparently the squat racks are completely clear on fridays. Fuck yes!

Linksville on
This discussion has been closed.