THE POKEMON THREAD IS ONCE AGAIN WITHIN SAFE HANDS. THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR ALARM. WE WILL KEEP YOU SAFE. WE ARE IN CONTROL.
What is this place?
Welcome to the headquarters for the SE++ Pokemon League. Here, you will find our resident Gym Leaders, ample opportunity for trades and battles, and general discussion of pokemon opinions.
But wait, I don't know anything about pokemon!
You disgust me. But if you wish to learn, there are three sources:
, which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: a pokemon wikipedia. Craploads
of information, and fairly user-friendly. Has been somewhat slower in the wake of the release of Black/White, and each article contains a great deal of information not relevant to battling.
is another option, and probably a faster one for quick browsing of pokemon, but the guy who runs it seems really kinda weird and I don't think I like him. Serebii is generally the quickest way to look up movesets, egg moves, stats, and the like.
. This is a bad place.
It is all about competitiveness and no fun, but in the interests of giving everyone access to information, I have included it. Just let it be known that if you make use of the dark secrets and cookie cutter strategies contained within, I will disapprove.
Why would you disapprove?
Because pokemon is not about winning
, or about mastery. It is about FIGHTING SPIRIT
, a true bond that does not in any way resemble some kind of horrific violent slavery. Strong pokemon, weak pokemon- these are the flimsy perceptions of people. True pokemon masters try to win with their favorites.
What are our other resources?
Got the animated sprites here
Also, high quality artwork
, complete with pokedex number and both english and japanese names. Handy.
we should probably throw together a list of dw pokemon our group has available for trade in the OP
the full list of the ones released in japan
These are the DW pokemon we have:
Warning: Dream World pokemon may not be available from all people. Many may be in the hands of individuals who do not always check the pokemon thread regularly. Access to Dream World pokemon not guaranteed.
did i forget any?
attack: route one. Patrat and Lillipup both give one attack EV
sp atk: celestial tower. Litwick and Elgyem both give one sp atk EV
Speed: Surfing in a ton of different places. Route one works, it ONLY has Basculin. Basculin gives 2 speed EVs
Sp Def: Surfing in route 4 (the desert). Only Frillish. Frillish gives one Sp Def EV
def: The best option I can find it Wellspring Cave, which is 50% Roggenrolas. Roggenrola gives 1 Def EV. There might be a better place somewhere?
hp: Icirrus City, surfing, 100% Stunfisk, 2 HP EVs per Stunfisk
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE SE++ POKEMON LEAGUE?
So, with the introduction of B/W, the competitive battling community received a horrible shock: standard wi-fi battling was gone.
The reasons for Gamefreak making this decision are likely unknowable and maddening, but we gotta make what do with what we got. And what we got are Flat Battles.
The hell is a flat battle?
It works like this:
- All pokemon are leveled down to level 50. They aren't leveled up
, so if you have a dude at level 45 he will stay at level 45 and everyone else will be at level 50 and your pants will fall down and everyone will see your tiny penis. If your dude evolves or learns moves above 50 he keeps everything, he just gets reduced in level.
- Species Clause is in effect. The game physically will not allow two of the same species number.
- Item Clause is in effect. The game physically will not allow two of the same held item.
- Singles battles are bring 6, pick 3. Then you battle with those three. Just the three. The other three don't do fucking anything, they just watch and hop up and down and get mad that they weren't picked.
- There is a built-in banlist. See:
So, how do we deal? This is how we deal:
- Until further notice, SE++ Pokemon League battles are to be Best-2-of-3 Flat Battles, with each participant having to use all six of his pokemon between games. Yes, this is not ideal. But it is better than not battling at all.
There is also the option for a Wonder Launcher, which is some kind of weird-ass way to say "You can use items in online battles". It's actually a pretty neat system, earning a point every turn, and those points being able to be spent on items like potions, heals, stat-up items, and at the very end of the scale, revives.
- Use of the Wonder Launcher is not mandatory. If you want to use it, and I recommend doing so, go ahead. If you don't, you don't have to. People who do want to use the Wonder Launcher are overruled if their opponent doesn't.
There is one more official rule:
- Don't be a dick
. This is, bar none, the most important rule. View every action you take through the lens of wondering if you are a dick. Are you a dick? Cut that shit out. This is a big league. We do not need you. If nobody wants to battle with you, nobody will battle with you.
Don't be a dick.
How does the League work?
More or less exactly the way it does in the games: you beat gym leaders, acquire eight badges, and face the Champion.
- Challengers may face the League with two teams of six pokemon. Note that this does not say "a pool of twelve pokemon"- two teams of six. They can share any number of pokemon between them, and you can use just one team if you want to. These two teams are all the pokemon you can use to win your eight badges. If you want to change up your team, you'll have to earn your badges again. The limiting of teams is an attempt to make things fair for the Gym Leaders, so you can't construct a team to take out each type individually. Now, we aren't going to bother registering all the challenger teams- that's too big a hassle- so this will be on the honor system. Just know, we see all six of your pokemon before a match, and gym leaders will be discussing battles and swapping notes. I do
hope you're not so pathetic that you'll cheat at an internet pokemon league to win a meaningless title, but if you abuse the leniency of the system, we probably won't want to battle with you anymore.
- While a gym leader's profile contains six pokemon, these are not the six pokemon they are limited to. Gym leaders can, without warning, change up their team however they wish, so long as they remain within their type. Yes, this is unfair. But they're also working within one type
, so dammit cut them some slack.
- Gym leaders can earn badges too, if they feel like it. They can use their gym team, or another team, or do whatever the hell they want within the rules. But know this: a person cannot simultaneously be a Gym Leader and a Champion. Should you gather eight badges, you'll have to pick one or the other.
- You can earn badges of whatever type and in whatever order you wish. It's urged that you not earn doubles- like two Dark type badges- because that's kinda lame, but whatever.
- The first person to earn eight badges automatically becomes the Champion and has their preferred team enshrined in the OP.
- Any subsequent individuals to earn eight badges must challenge the Champion. The rules of Champion battles are entirely a collaborative effort between the two individuals involved, and there will be no input from the Pokemon League on how to settle the score. Best 2-of-3 flat battle? Best 3-of-5? Unrestricted 6v6, leveled to 100? It's up to you. If the two of you can't come to an agreement, the best 2-of-3 flat battle system is the default. Champion challenges must be answered. Should the challenger win, they become champion much as you'd expect they would. Should the Champion win, the challenger may not challenge them again for at least three days. Gotta let the Champion have some time at the top.
- Don't be a dick.
Don't be a dick.
4255 2831 6836
4555 9233 8336
2537 3094 8592
Speed Racer: 1291 7565 5533
drp527: 1978 9812 2493
Goose: 0303 9357 8384
silence1186: 2021 9037 2198
Halos Nach Tariff: 4512 9821 6730
Spoit: 2365 5081 5807
Langly: 5243 2130 3742