As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got done playing Arrival again.

It is actually incredibly fun having a whole DLC which is basically dedicated to just Shepard being a badass.

Also: flamethrower grunts are easily the deadliest enemy in the entire game.

One thing I will say: the modelling, texturing and lighting for Admiral Hackett is just incredible. He looks amazing compared to almost everything else in the game. If that's the bar for ME3 I'm incredibly happy with it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    Ars has an interesting story up on the length of video games.

2 graphics with stats caught my eye:

Xbox live players with the 'beat the game' achievement:
    achievements-2.png

and average time played:
    achievements-1.png

The average time played seems out of whack to me, or not defined in the way I might expect. Maybe there were a large number of people that picked up ME2 for 20 minutes and then dropped it, but they're not really people anyway. That said, 67% beat the game and average playtime was only 12 hours? Was the ME2 campaign THAT short? I've been away from it for a long time, and maybe looking at the saves on my ME1 #s threw me off, but yeesh.

Surely rentals/borrowing from friends throws this totally out of whack?

Something is totally out of whack, and I left a comment at the article to that effect. Bioware's own stats give the average completion time of 33 hours.

Edit: Bioware's stats are a bit dated now of course, but I see no reason why average completion time would halve while completion rate increased.

Auberon on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got done playing Arrival again.

It is actually incredibly fun having a whole DLC which is basically dedicated to just Shepard being a badass.

Also: flamethrower grunts are easily the deadliest enemy in the entire game.

One thing I will say: the modelling, texturing and lighting for Admiral Hackett is just incredible. He looks amazing compared to almost everything else in the game. If that's the bar for ME3 I'm incredibly happy with it.

Only because they can literally stun-lock you to death.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    7:40 AM.

Faunts plays.

A good night.

wilting on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The battle of the Citadel is hard to top.

Even Mako haters can't deny how awesome it was when you Car-Fu'ed those Geth with the Conduit.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, 30 seconds to get to the Conduit, you say?

Is what I think is going to happen going to happen?!?!?!?!?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wilting on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Geth_WTF__Thing_by_Ragaru.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Get owned flashlight face.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeh boi!

Panda4You on
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it Q4 yet?

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Berkshire wrote: »
    Is it Q4 yet?

No...sadly. And you mean Q3, most people's Q4s are the start of the next year.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i like the appearance of good fanart in this thread

it's refreshing.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    it's also blasphemy

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    it's also blasphemy

Blasphemy, but against an Eldritch God-creature, a dark under-beast that rules over a hellscape of torment and sulfur in the deeps of time where each scream of the damned lasts a life age of an entire world.

I'm okay with it.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't have time to justify myself to your god. Excuse me, I have a galaxy to save.

EDIT - Oh, you got something to justify.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

it's refreshing.

Now I know how Ghandi felt.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

it's refreshing.

famished?
    For news on ME3?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »

it's refreshing.

famished?
    For news on ME3?

Omnicidal?

Like partying?

All my knowledge of history comes from Civilization and Clone High.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    G-spot rocks the G-spot yo.

I was aiming more for the completion of a long awaited goal, but that works too.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    takyris wrote: »
    Yo Shepard's so fat that when he walks into a room, they shout "Enemies everywhere!"

Yo Shepard's so ugly that the closest thing he got to a hot date was getting stuck in geometry after charging.

Yo Shepard's so dumb that he couldn't unlock Kelly's pants without using omni-gel.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

it's refreshing.

famished?
    For news on ME3?

Omnicidal?

Like partying?

All my knowledge of history comes from Civilization and Clone High.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa?!

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just now, for the first time, fired an assault rifle in the Mass Effect universe.

It was the Mattock with Inferno ammo. Collectors burned quickly. Husks fried. Batarians sizzled at range.

WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING OUT ON ALL THIS TIME

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just now, for the first time, fired an assault rifle in the Mass Effect universe.

It was the Mattock with Inferno ammo. Collectors burned quickly. Husks fried. Batarians sizzled at range.

chuggachuggachuggachuggabzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's the M-14 EBR of Mass Effect,

with exploding ammo.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

My Vanguard is now a murder train-a-comin' at any range. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could take Insanity with this template (slam as bonus, always make sure a Warp user is in my party).

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

My Vanguard is now a murder train-a-comin' at any range. In fact, I'm pretty sure I could take Insanity with this template (slam as bonus, always make sure a Warp user is in my party).

Wait.

An AR for a Vanguard?

Son, if you're doing anything at mid range voluntarily, you ain't doing it right. Locust can cover for when you're forced into a ranged firefight.

Although the Mattock is great. No denying.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Wait.

An AR for a Vanguard?

Son, if you're doing anything at mid range voluntarily, you ain't doing it right. Locust can cover for when you're forced into a ranged firefight.

It's my anti-BIG FUCKER weapon. YMIRs, Scions, Preatorians: pretty much a weapon for anything with way more armor than it needs.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I need to restart the collector ship with a new squad setup. I'm on Insanity as a soldier with Reave as my extra power. I don't have any of the second round of squadmates collected yet, but I do have Zaeed and Kasumi.

Any tips?

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Wait.

An AR for a Vanguard?

It's my anti-BIG FUCKER weapon. YMIRs, Scions, Preatorians: pretty much a weapon for anything with way more armor than it needs.

Scions?

Son, you're a VANGUARD.

You go up to that Scion, and shotgun its face in.

Yes. That applies for insanity.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Feriluce wrote: »
    I think I need to restart the collector ship with a new squad setup. I'm on Insanity as a soldier with Reave as my extra power. I don't have any of the second round of squadmates collected yet, but I do have Zaeed and Kasumi.

Any tips?

Take Miranda for sure. Grunt is a great tank, Zaeed deals out tons of damage, and Kasumi can stun and draw aggro. I would recommend Kasumi to stun Harbinger and get those scions looking away from you. Beyond that, Soldier's strategy is pretty simple. Keep mashing Adrenaline Rush and Revenant the shit out of everything. If you can change your power, go for one of the defensive boosts.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

Any tips?

Take Miranda for sure. Grunt is a great tank, Zaeed deals out tons of damage, and Kasumi can stun and draw aggro. I would recommend Kasumi to stun Harbinger and get those scions looking away from you. Beyond that, Soldier's strategy is pretty simple. Keep mashing Adrenaline Rush and Revenant the shit out of everything. If you can change your power, go for one of the defensive boosts.

I currently have Miranda and Zaeed, and no matter what I've been getting slaughtered. I manage to take down the first wave, but the second just gets me. I'll try Kasumi next I think to try stunning. The worst part is getting knocked out of cover from, I believe it's the scion's?

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    -Tal wrote: »

Any tips?

I currently have Miranda and Zaeed, and no matter what I've been getting slaughtered. I manage to take down the first wave, but the second just gets me. I'll try Kasumi next I think to try stunning. The worst part is getting knocked out of cover from, I believe it's the scion's?

It's Harby who knocks you out of cover. Move to dodge his shots.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's a pretty decent probability that your guys are going to get wiped just about immediately. I've had slightly more luck putting them in the front, behind the two bits of cover at the platform edge, but you may have to resign yourself to pretty much soloing it.

Watch out for Harbinger's dark projectile, which is the one that knocks you back out. If you see it coming, pop up briefly and then get back down; it'll track over the cover.

Elendil on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can also just move left and right behind cover to throw it off.

If you have Shadow Broker, stasis can instakill both scions by freezing them while their platforms are flying in, leaving them floating in midair until it wears off and they fall to their comical deaths. Otherwise, Miranda + Grunt is like godmode.

Stasis example (plus a really weird Flash charge at around the minute mark):

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    You just have to love Vanguard videos.

A duck! on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    haha at 1min 10 did he just fucking take the scenic route with that charge what the hell.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hate using charge on the platforms. Moving surfaces fuck up the geometry something bad.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just finished my canon ME1-ME2 run, and yeah, nothing's most frustrating than your Vangod powering up and then... *poof* nothing happens.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jesus christ that anomaly mission saving a quorian from zergrushes of varrens was a bitch. Mostly due to incinerates having a 33% chance of veering off into the sky when you have clear sight to the target, the quarian having some invisible clip box around him making it nigh impossible to hit varrens reaching him and if they do, 2-shotting him. They never explain that you're actually done when the shuttle lands either, but happily continue spawn 3 varrens a pop, so that took a few extra tries.

I don't see how this could've been done with any other setup than heavy upgraded Misanda/Mordin, to chip away at the armor.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That one you wanna use incineration ammo shotguns on everyone and spec your armour for melee. You can bash those things quite quickly it's like bashbashbash

The_Scarab on