As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just because an option is the Renegade option doesn't mean it isn't the smart thing to do...

Really, I don't see the complaint.

A couple of Renegade points isn't going to kill you.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Just because an option is the Renegade option doesn't mean it isn't the smart thing to do...

Really, I don't see the complaint.

Heck, I'd complain if it wasn't renegade.

It's a rapid action, so it's an interrupt.

It's killing someone, so it's renegade.

If things are being banned from being renegade just because they make sense, than killing the Rachni queen is neutral. We all know what they did, they present a clear risk. Genophage? Paragon. It's much nicer than extermination.

It would restrict renegade to being a giant dick for no reason.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    glithert wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    What always pissed me off is when that Asari merc pulls a gun on you and it's the "renegade" option to shoot her

You have no idea who she is or is going to shoot you with her gun

I'd say that's pretty renegade.

She was lying through her teeth... Not just because of the evidence you find later, but it's as the one Volus said at the beginning of the mission: No Eclipse Sister gets her armor until she kills someone.

All I'm sayin' is

She's dressed as an enemy combatant, you are in the middle of a fight, you have a gun on her, and she sees you, and your gun, and draws.

Shooting her is not a Renegade action. It's the smart thing to do. The "neutral" option is incredibly stupid. I can't understand why anyone in that situation would think it was a good idea to let her draw her gun and point it at you.

In short, videogames= srs bsns
    Shooting her immediately is a pretty asshole move when you consider the fact that with your shields and stuff, you could take like 15 shots from her before anything bad happened, and by that time one of your two squadmates would have dropped her. It's like saying you have to shoot someone when they pull out a knife even though you're on the second floor of a building and they'd have to take the elevator up to stab you.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What always pissed me off is when that Asari merc pulls a gun on you and it's the "renegade" option to shoot her

She was lying through her teeth... Not just because of the evidence you find later, but it's as the one Volus said at the beginning of the mission: No Eclipse Sister gets her armor until she kills someone.

All I'm sayin' is

She's dressed as an enemy combatant, you are in the middle of a fight, you have a gun on her, and she sees you, and your gun, and draws.

Shooting her is not a Renegade action. It's the smart thing to do. The "neutral" option is incredibly stupid. I can't understand why anyone in that situation would think it was a good idea to let her draw her gun and point it at you.

Shooting her immediately is a pretty asshole move when you consider the fact that with your shields and stuff, you could take like 15 shots from her before anything bad happened, and by that time one of your two squadmates would have dropped her. It's like saying you have to shoot someone when they pull out a knife even though you're on the second floor of a building and they'd have to take the elevator up to stab you.

That's like complaining when cops kill a suspect instead of shooting the gun out of their hand.

If you have military training, if someone goes for a gun, you shoot them. It doesn't matter if you're wearing a bullet proof vest or not. Just ask Jenkins how well his shields held up.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In increases Shepard's left hook by a factor of ten.

When testing armor, they simulate interactions with journalists. It's rumored that the dummies used when testing that particular design were completely obliterated.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Fo' realz

Randy Shepard (who coincidentaly looks like a cross between Jason Statham and Randy Couture) was uber paragon, but did most of the renegade interrupts (Asari merc, merc out the window, Krogan BBQ etc) and by the end Paragon was almost completely full, while renegade barely registered a blip.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

All I'm sayin' is

That's like complaining when cops kill a suspect instead of shooting the gun out of their hand.

If you have military training, if someone goes for a gun, you shoot them. It doesn't matter if you're wearing a bullet proof vest or not. Just ask Jenkins how well his shields held up.
    Jenkins was wearing plot shields that failed for plot reasons. Shepard has shown the ability to not just shoot the shit out of someone when it's not needed. See: Bring Down the Sky.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You are told from the beginning of the mission that to wear the Eclipse uniform, you must murder someone. She is wearing the uniform. She pulls a gun on you. She is clearly very stupid, and also a coward. Therefore, death!

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    See, what you're forgetting here is that the merc was a filthy xeno.

It deserved to be shot.

Sillies.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What I always liked is how in that scene she only manages to get one shot off with the Tempest.

A full automatic SMG

Must have needed to pop the heatsink.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So guys, remember when I said I needed an awesome renegade Femshep run to forget that awful, yucky 100% Paragon run?

I don't think I'll be disapointed.
    RenShep8.png
    RenShep5.png
    RenShep1.png

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What I always liked is how in that scene she only manages to get one shot off with the Tempest.

A full automatic SMG

Must have needed to pop the heatsink.

I think that's another case of the game when it switches to cutscenes about how it can't seem to decide which weapons people are using.

Kinda how like if you get the firepower pack, people randomly start swapping between the Phalanx pistol and the Default Pistol in cutscenes, and then the regular SMG and the Locust SMG as well.

It's actually kinda hilarious to see a scene where a teammate is single shotting, one-handing a big-ass locust smg like it's just no thang, like a 23rd century gangsta....

Wait a minute...I feel a song coming on.....

Spoilered for the long and the naughty...
    Damn it feels good to be a specta’
    A real specta’-ass nigga plays his cards right
    A real specta’-ass nigga never runs his fuckin mouth
    'cause real specta’-ass niggas don't start fights
    And niggas always gotta heatsink
    Showin' all his boys how he shot em
    But real specta’-ass niggas don't flex nuts
    'cause real specta’-ass niggas know they got em
    And everythings cool in the mind of a specta’
    'cause specta’-ass niggas think deep
    Up three-sixty-five a year 24/7
    'cause real specta’ ass niggas don't sleep

And all I gotta say to you
    Wannabe, gonnabe, Krogansuckin', asari-eatin' prankstas
    'cause when the Reapa dies down what the fuck you gonna do

Feedin' the poor and helpin out wit they bills
    Although I was born in da Colonies
    Now I'm in the Terminus makin' deals
    I mean one that you don't really know
    Ridin' around town in a drop-top Mako
    Hittin' switches in my black six-fo'
    Now specta’-ass niggas come in all shapes and colors
    Some got killed in the past
    But this specta’ here is a smart one
    Started living for the galaxy and I'll last

Now all I gotta say to you
    Wannabe, gonnabe, Krogansuckin', asari-eatin' prankstas
    When the Reapa jumps off what the fuck you gonna do

A real specta’-ass nigga knows the play
    Real specta’-ass niggas get the flyest of the bitches
    Ask that specta’-ass nigga little jake
    Now bitches look at specta’-ass niggas like a stop sign
    And play the role of little miss sweet
    'cause specta’-ass niggas be the gang playas
    And everythings quiet in the clique
    A specta’-ass nigga pulls the trigger
    And his batarians in the posse ain't tellin' off shit
    Real specta’-ass niggas don't talk much
    All ya hear is the black from the gun blast
    And real specta’-ass niggas run fast as shit
    'cause real specta’-ass niggas chase dat cash
    Now when you in the free world talkin' shit do the shit
    Hit the pen and let the batarians shank ya
    But spectas like myself kick back and peep game
    'cause damn it feels good to be a specta’

And now, a word from the alliance!
    Gettin voted into the council
    Everything lookin good to the people of the galaxy
    But the ‘Broker family is my boss
    So every now and then I owe a favor gettin' down
    Like lettin' a big eezo shipment through
    And send 'em to the poor community
    So we can bust you know who
    So voters of the world keep supportin' me
    And I promise to take you very far
    Other leaders better not upset me
    Or I'll send a million troops to die at war
    To all you batarians, that helped me win
    I sincerely like to thank you
    'cause now I got the world swingin' from my nuts
    And damn it feels good to be a specta’

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pretty sure it's not cool even if it ends with -a and not -er

glithert on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So guys, remember when I said I needed an awesome renegade Femshep run to forget that awful, yucky 100% Paragon run?

I don't think I'll be disapointed.
    RenShep8.png
    RenShep5.png
    RenShep1.png

Yeah, looks like it'll be fun times.

Why are redheads the best renegades, anyway? It just seems a natural fit somehow.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I miss the variety of ME1's armor. And the helmet toggle

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually, ME2 had many more shapes and color patterns. But you're right about the helmet toggle.

Joan Shepard is a Colonist/Ruthless background, suffer not the Batarian to live.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually, ME2 had many more shapes and color patterns. But you're right about the helmet toggle.

Agreed.

Of course, I get the most mileage from the visor, so that works out.

How many designs were there in game one. Six?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, since I was too lazy to make a face for my femShep this run I went to http://www.masseffect2faces.com/

for one. And that has me wondering...why do dude faces generally look better? Especially after playing DA2 and the female faces being pretty okay in that game. I've noticed that something is a bit...off...with the ME2 female faces.

I can't tell what though.

you just have to work harder to get a decent, well-proportioned female face.

6354angieshep1.jpg

that's my colonist/ruthless shepard.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Joan Shepard is a Colonist/Ruthless background, suffer not the Batarian to live.

More permutations perhaps, but there were only like a couple choices per slot, none of which looked that different from the N7 set. And the full sets, which I never touched because, helmets look silly

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

More permutations perhaps, but there were only like a couple choices per slot, none of which looked that different from the N7 set. And the full sets, which I never touched because, helmets are silly

There were fewer choices in ME 1 though, almost every armor in each category was a simple palette swap or reskin. I find pieces like the Aegis chest piece or the Shield Gauntlets have much more diversity than any of the ME 1 armor away from the default.

Plus ME2 gave me the ability to wear visors and cool things in the head slot instead of the stupid helmet.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How are you defining choices though. Sure the models might be similar, but the bars with numbers were different...ish. And the 2 mod slots gave you way more customization that ME2's N7 mods, paid DLC nonwithstanding. The only real difference between the armor pieces are that one has like an extra clip (not that you'd really get to that clip anyway) and the other is like 20% cooler looking.

And I included the visors, especially the bug eyed one, as part of the looking silly statement. Even the garrus eyepiece one had really bad clipping with even standard hair.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've played through ME2 twice on my Infiltrator, never once used the visor apart from the initial "what's this then?" 10 sec tryout. That shit looked atrocious.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How are you defining choices though. Sure the models might be similar, but the bars with numbers were different...ish. And the 2 mod slots gave you way more customization that ME2's N7 mods, paid DLC nonwithstanding. The only real difference between the armor pieces are that one has like an extra clip (not that you'd really get to that clip anyway) and the other is like 20% cooler looking.

And I included the visors, especially the bug eyed one, as part of the looking silly statement. Even the garrus eyepiece one had really bad clipping with even standard hair.

The numbers meant nothing because there was always a 'best' choice for what to wear that (almost) always had better stats across the board than anything else. At the very end of the game the stats in certain endgame armor were wildly different, but even then the Spectre stuff or the Collossus X was the way to go. And the armor mods were totally useless, you could literally throw any crap in there and never notice a difference in gameplay. Plus pretty much all of them looked stupid or had terrible color schemes. 50% cameo? Pink and White? Green Plates?

The guns, I'll grant, were better and more customizable. But you may want to check the armor again, it was terrible and I spent half the game looking like an idiot because the Scorpion IV armor you pick up on Eden Prime had higher stats than anything I got for a long ass time. In Mass Effect 2 I can have a consistent color scheme from the beginning, and I think you're underestimating how much some of those minor bonuses stack and impact combat. If I get rid of my shield gauntlets, I can feel the difference pretty clearly.

Also, I never had a clipping problem with any of the visors. My Shepard looked pretty awesome with all of them, and it still wasn't as stupid as the N7 helmet.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I miss the ME1 N7 armor, I think it looks better than the ME2 version.

Also, I must echo the sentiment that all of the visors in ME2 are ugly as sin. In fact, the main reason I haven't bought any of the appearance packs, is because of Bioware's idiotic decision to equip just about every alternate outfit with stupid fucking visors.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but see, with immunity, you could be using the phoenix I armor the whole game and it wouldn't matter!

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but see, with immunity, you could be using the phoenix I armor the whole game and it wouldn't matter!

"It's fine if the aesthetics are bad as long as the combat's broken!"

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd love to see a challenge let's play of Pheonix I on Insanity, main story missions only.

Could it even be done without immunity?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd love to see a challenge let's play of Pheonix I on Insanity, main story missions only.

Could it even be done without immunity?

If you were an Adept, and brought a combination of Liara/Kaiden (most places) or Garrus/Ashley (When you fight those goddamn rocket turrets) it wouldn't even be that hard. Lift and Singularity are ridiculous in conjunction with barrier, about the only things you'd really need to worry about are things like the one-shot rockets.

Z0re on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That there was no Ursa armor option in the second game was a travesty.

I demand alpine forest camo in my space operas!

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Real Shepard's stick with default armor and the upgrades 8-)

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Except for a few I generally thought most of the ME1 armors looked pretty meh.

At least the human ones, alien ones were cool.

Not to mention I like the sleaker ME2 look compared to the bulkier ME1 one. I could see why people would like that though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Except for a few I generally thought most of the ME1 armors looked pretty meh.

At least the human ones, alien ones were cool.

Not to mention I like the sleaker ME2 look compared to the bulkier ME1 one. I could see why people would like that though.

But the paterns were so awesome!
    SheppardAshley3.jpg

waitaminute

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Garrus' Phantom armor was pretty boss. And I liked Wrex's Rage armor.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    @Dox...

You would show one of the worst armors.

*Is ashamed because even with how bad it looked he still had his entire team decked out in it because of DEM STATS.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    @Dox...

You would show one of the worst armors.

*Is ashamed because even with how bad it looked he still had his entire team decked out in it because of DEM STATS.

The siren call of Colossus armor is hard to resist indeed

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hated the armor in Mass Effect one. I love the default N7 armor in 2. It looks like a futuristic football suit. It has a great silhouette. It's just like, I can believe Shepard killing all those people and not breaking a sweat wearing that thing. It looks like something you could get shot in and not even flinch.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Heavy armor was fine, light armor looked like a freakin leotard.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, I don't want to think about all the stupid variegated shit my rainbow squad was decked out in. Bright yellow on my left, red and black on my right, forest camo in center. At least when I want to go pastel in ME2, it's a stylistic choice.
    me2torfanstyle2.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, since I play on normal I usually left my guys with crappier gear that looked less stupid than Survivor, Pheonix etc.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow. Some of those human armor sets are fucking awful. I thought I'd put them out of my mind...

Synthesis on