Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Possibly Selling DSi for Charity? Seeking Council

JackKieserJackKieser Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Ok, PA Forums, this is what's up. I have been watching (closely, I might add) the coverage of the disasters in Japan since day 1, and given my circumstances, to say that I have been concerned would be an understatement (it's always been a dream of mine to live in Japan, I love the culture, not to mention that my girlfriend is a Japanese Language and Linguistics major who is planning on being an interpreter/translator for game companies in the future; we're kind of emotionally connected to the country). I've been wanting to donate money to the country for a while now... but I'm a poor college student; I don't even make enough to pay rent without help from others each month.

...but then I got an idea. I was planning on selling my DSi to help fund an eventual X-mas purchase of a 3DS (you know, when good games come out for it); I wanted to sell it on eBay because fuck GameStop and their trade-in value, but also... well, because of this:

Below Image Spoiler-ed for Size
Spoiler:

I got this particular DSi signed at the 2011 Seattle Video Games Live show at the Paramount theatre. Those signatures belong to, in no particular order:

* Tommy Tallarico (VGL and tons of games)
* Martin O'Donnell (Halo)
* Mike Salvatori (Halo)
* Wataru Hokoyama (Resident Evil 5, other various)
* Laura Intravia ("Flute Link")

It's in excellent condition; the shoulder buttons have a gen 1 manufacturing defect (dust gets in the system, requiring you to blow into the shoulder buttons like an old-school controller sometimes, but they totally work), but the system is otherwise mint.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask the boards; hopefully, the horde's input can help me come to some decisions:

* First of all, I don't like to half-ass things; if I'm going to use this to donate money, I want to be able to walk up to the Red Cross or whoever with a big fucking check from gamers and say "Here, go feed a thousand people." If I somehow could set this up, would PA'ers be willing to help spread the word across the net to get people to bid?

* I've never tried to set up a donation like this to a charity before. What I would like to do is use a PayPal account or something like it to enable people who either can't bid or who get outbid but still want to donate to donate, regardless of whether they win the DSi or not. More importantly, as both a draw to donate and as a thank you to those donating, I want to be able to supply people with receipts that they can use for tax purposes. Does anyone have any idea where I can find out how to do this, or can give me advice on where to look (besides "Red Cross contact info, herp derp")?

* Lastly, is this even a good idea? Do you guys think that people would even buy something like this for serious cash? Is it feasible of a project for one college kid?

Any, and I mean ANY, input or feedback you guys could give would be really helpful; I know that gamers, and especially PA people, can pull off awesome stuff when they turn into a charity-horde; I doubt that I even have to point out CP at this point. Anyway, thanks in advance for reading / posting; I'll be keeping an eye out, and hope to get some replies soon.

JackKieser on
Spoiler:

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks License Number 137596Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't help you, other than saying that what you're doing is admirable and I wish you luck.

SUP ISORN
    STEAM ME, BABY / PSN: ghjfghdfgcvb
  • JackKieserJackKieser Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, telling other forum-goers is help, and even that little bit helps, at this point. Emotional support is nice, though... it doesn't seems like this is worth many people's time so far. >_<

Spoiler:
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The best way to get exposure could be to simply hook up with the Play for Japan people. I don't know if they're accepting auctions from just anyone, but I've certainly seen names on the list that I didn't recognize.

camo_sig.png
  • JackKieserJackKieser Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I looked at their webpage, but it specifically said that non-industry people couldn't submit auction items for exposure, at least not yet. So far, it's an industry-only thing. Little people can't sign up with them yet.

Spoiler: