As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    ...my god, that is amazing. That sword. :D

• Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That was impressively 80's.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    That is the weirdest shit I've seen all week.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Wow.

Also, I like the panel selection at 2:20.

• Options
    DakataDakata Registered User regular
    Snare drum... Check
    Keytar... Check
    Character with wings on helmet... Check
    Rainbows in Space... Check
    Theme song that has the name of the show in it multiple times... Check

Wait... IT DOESN'T EXIST IN THE 80'S?! D:

"Life is a storm my young friend, you will bask in the sunlight one moment be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote:
    Checked again...really surprised this hasn't popped up here yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Otaq2tmNMM

quoting so it's not BOTP'd

I'd love to see adult swim pick this up, but ONLY if they play it absolutely, completely straight

• Options
    DakataDakata Registered User regular
    Sun-Ray: Business in front, party in the back. Awww yea. Chicks dig mullets.

"Life is a storm my young friend, you will bask in the sunlight one moment be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Rainbow Keytar Sword?

That's... that's frigging beautiful.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I liked that enough to buy the themesong. Would totally buy a boxset if it was a real thing.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    How did they carve a stallion head that's greater than the circumference of the moon?

Did they build the part of the statue extending past the circumference from the excavated moon rock, and did they then attach it to the top of the statue?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TeaSpoon wrote:
    How did they carve a stallion head that's greater than the circumference of the moon?

Did they build the part of the statue extending past the circumference from the excavated moon rock, and did they then attach it to the top of the statue?

Looking at the amount of moon mass missing, that's actually pretty directly implied. The real question is why their base seems to have windows that are several miles high, assuming that's our moon or one of similar size.

EDIT: Actually, they show them landing on the top of the base, and it's not that big, meaning it's just an unusually smooth asteroid, not a moon. Pedantry withdrawn! (Not that wildly inconsistent and fluctuating proportions are incompatible with 80's cartoons in the first place)

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Here's some photos from the HTTYD stage show that is still happening apparently.

iogVn.jpg

PzpjP.jpg

Video from the show in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMGkeV5qIE

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Toothless looks FANTASTIC. Glad to see them utilizing that tech from the Walking with Dinosaurs live show.

Now I want Jurassic Park: The Musical starring Jeff Goldblum.

E: Saw some more footage from adjoining links with the trailer, the Grunkle (I think that was it) looks great too. They all do!

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    We can dream, we can dream.

Also in another bit of random images, here's some concept art from Nick's failed attempt at a Bone movie.

jU5fx.jpg

pQl1H.jpg

Apparently it was going to be pretty bad, there was going to be a Britney Spears song. Still I would like to see Nick take another crack at it with them doing great stuff like Rango and Tintin. The guys who made Legends of the Guardians apparently is making it now.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote:
    I liked that enough to buy the themesong. Would totally buy a boxset if it was a real thing.

I would totally buy some DVDs. They could at least release episodes online and get ads or donations or something. Apparently it was just a project by a group in animation school, and they've graduated and somewhat separated since then. That's what I gather from reading comments from the uploader, who seems to be someone that works at the school.

They said the group was getting back together to create some shirts and sell those online, so there's that to look forward to! The sudden popularity might hopefully lead to more, especially if they make some money from the song and shirts.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    they were making a Bone movie with a Britney Spears song? Goddamnit :x

great artwork, though

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    The Snow Queen is going to be called Frozen now. In case you don't know what The Snow Queen is, it's the next 2D animated Disney film, here's some concept art.
    L3t67.jpg

dU8BF.jpg

RMXMc.jpg

PqYp7.jpg

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:
    The Snow Queen is going to be called Frozen now. In case you don't know what The Snow Queen is, it's the next 2D animated Disney film, here's some concept art.
    L3t67.jpg

dU8BF.jpg

RMXMc.jpg

PqYp7.jpg

Neat.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I'm just a little disappointed by the "Tangled"-esque naming scheme.

That concept art is pretty amazing, though.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Looking good.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I'm just a little disappointed by the "Tangled"-esque naming scheme.

That concept art is pretty amazing, though.
    Eh, I'd prefer they change the name to gin up demographic enthusiasm than change the content.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh, there is going to be another 2D Disney movie? Praise Jeebus. I was a little worried when Winnie the Pooh came out and very few people watched it. (By the way: go watch it, it's charming and fun.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    it's 3D, like Tangled

and the 3rd movie about The Snow Queen this year

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh man, I love the Snow Queen. The Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales have always been my favorites.

I remember watching a live-action Snow Queen movie/show when I was a kid. So nostalgic. I wonder if I can dig it up on the internet.

Also, the Bone concept art looks gorgeous.

• Options
    Looks like it's CG.

http://www.animationmagazine.net/features/disneys-frozen-feature-will-be-cg-animated/

Blah. Disney, you already have the best CG studio on the planet with Pixar! You can do something different with your other production studios!

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    I guess they didn't want another Princess and the Frog.

• Options
    Aw man, there was early confirmation that it was going to be 2D.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I liked princess and the frog. Did it do poorly?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    PikaPuff wrote:

it didn't bomb, but performed far below expectations, as far as I know

there isn't really a market for classic Disney princess movies anymore (girls want something 'edgier', boys don't watch them)

a bit outdated (The Snow Queen is back in production), but
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/11/23/tangled-may-close-the-book-on-disney-princess-films/

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Anyone know if this is real?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNIgv3XAYs

Blendtec on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Blendtec wrote:
    Anyone know if this is real?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNIgv3XAYs

Well, I didn't notice any new footage in that clip. Wikipedia says the show is going to start airing reruns on Boomerang in May, maybe that's what it means.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    PikaPuff wrote:

there isn't really a market for classic Disney princess movies anymore (girls want something 'edgier', boys don't watch them)

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/11/23/tangled-may-close-the-book-on-disney-princess-films/

Which makes it the perfect time for the theatrical release of one more princess: Mononoke.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

Which makes it the perfect time for the theatrical release of one more princess: Mononoke.

Heh, yeah, if they add her to the Princess lineup it gets very awkward very quickly. It would certainly close the book!

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote:

I don't think it was far below expectations, but it didn't do as well as they'd hoped. Yeah, they're blaming the princess thing... that's part of why Rapunzel got renamed to Tangled.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't notice any new footage in that clip. Wikipedia says the show is going to start airing reruns on Boomerang in May, maybe that's what it means.

It specifically says new season and it is a stretch to think of that as re-airing reruns.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote:

It specifically says new season and it is a stretch to think of that as re-airing reruns.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The show will appear again on Cartoon Network's sister channel Boomerang on May 2012, replacing Ben 10's 5:30 slot.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting that, but I've always been under the impression that Boomerang was all classic cartoons and reruns.

• Options
    ...Ben 10's on Boomerang now?

Man, they sure are stretching the definition of "classic." I mean, the show isn't bad, but come on.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

Man, they sure are stretching the definition of "classic." I mean, the show isn't bad, but come on.

Nick at Night syndrome, shows get older but they also keep introducing newer and newer shows to try and remain "relevant". I mean TV Land has original programming now for Hathor's sake.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    New Young Justice episodes airing as a part of Cartoon Network's new DC Nation starting March 3rd Saturday morning. I'm really hoping that there won't be another long hiatus until the season finale.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=1248

Tertiee on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

Nick at Night syndrome, shows get older but they also keep introducing newer and newer shows to try and remain "relevant". I mean TV Land has original programming now for Hathor's sake.

Anyone remember "Hi, Honey, I'm Home"?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
This discussion has been closed.