As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aww, I saw what I think is gonna be the last episode of Ugly Americans this week. Pretty good finale though, if so. It ended as it began - with man-bird vulgarity.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    I cannot stand Nostalgia Critic. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Yeah he's really obnoxious when he's complaining about anything, especially when he decides to KEEP YELLING REALLY LOUD and firing a fake gun all over the place over the smallest issues.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I like it how he constantly heralds 80's cartoon properties with the obnoxious "everything was only awesome when I was twelve" mentality, and anything else is garbage in the same vein (Power Rangers for example).

They were all bad one way or another, stop championing it as high art!

• Options
    edited April 2012
    New Brave trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFM9aEblzvI&feature=player_embedded

it is definitely the worst, who is in charge of making these things? Not to say the footage looks bad but man what a crummy trailer.

What are you talking about? I think that's very clever advertisement. Not every trailer has to be high art you know.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Invisible wrote: »
    I wish they'd just come out and make Marceline and/or Princess Bubblegum gay. They'd make a cute couple. And would it really be that much stranger than a stretchy dog and rainicorn, a pig and tiny elephant (an umarried couple living together under the same roof? That'd be indecent.), a boy and fire elemental?

I................really don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

I mean, do you know how much homophobia is still in the states these days? If Adventure Time tried pulling that off on the show, no matter how tasteful or subtle, Cartoon Network would get angry parent phone calls through the roof that demand the show be brought down.

Sometimes I really question the older fans in knowing just who Adventure Time is aimed for.

EDIT:
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Speaking of crazy executives, apparently Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes will not be getting a season three.

The reason, according to that article, is Jeph Loeb; the visionary who gave us Red Hulk now heads up Marvel's animation department.
    LOEB: That's certainly something that we're talking about. Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that's very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people's time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you're not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don't ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o'clock and suddenly feel like, "Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don't really know what's going on."

I think the bolded is the telling part. Executives cancelling successful programs that they didn't develop is not unheard of in the TV business; what's surprising is when they all but come out and admit it.

I don't know who this Jeph Loeb is or what he's done that's tainted his name in the industry, but I do agree with the part where he talks about being lost in the show; I wanted a good chunk of those episodes online and they tried cramming so much story in such a small time frame. If I was a kid i'd be completely lost on who's who, what's going on or having any real investment in the plot if I missed just one episode.

It was a fun watch, but damn if they didn't try cramming everything in the kitchen sink in it :shock:

Godfather on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    I like it how he constantly heralds 80's cartoon properties with the obnoxious "everything was only awesome when I was twelve" mentality, and anything else is garbage in the same vein (Power Rangers for example).

Ugh the entire premise of the show is looking at things from his age groups childhood and pointing out how they suck. He even mocks Transformers and X-men though in the end says they are pretty ok.

He most certainly doesn't champion the idea that everything was awesome when he was twelve.

The shows entire point is breaking down that idea.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I wish they'd just come out and make Marceline and/or Princess Bubblegum gay. They'd make a cute couple. And would it really be that much stranger than a stretchy dog and rainicorn, a pig and tiny elephant (an umarried couple living together under the same roof? That'd be indecent.), a boy and fire elemental?

I mean, do you know how much homophobia is still in the states these days? If Adventure Time tried pulling that off on the show, no matter how tasteful or subtle, Cartoon Network would get angry parent phone calls through the roof that demand the show be brought down.

Sometimes I really question the older fans in knowing just who Adventure Time is aimed for.

EDIT:
    Speaking of crazy executives, apparently Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes will not be getting a season three.

The reason, according to that article, is Jeph Loeb; the visionary who gave us Red Hulk now heads up Marvel's animation department.
    LOEB: That's certainly something that we're talking about. Earth's Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that's very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people's time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you're not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don't ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o'clock and suddenly feel like, "Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don't really know what's going on."

I think the bolded is the telling part. Executives cancelling successful programs that they didn't develop is not unheard of in the TV business; what's surprising is when they all but come out and admit it.

I don't know who this Jeph Loeb is or what he's done that's tainted his name in the industry, but I do agree with the part where he talks about being lost in the show; I wanted a good chunk of those episodes online and they tried cramming so much story in such a small time frame. If I was a kid i'd be completely lost on who's who, what's going on or having any real investment in the plot when they're putting too much in too soon.

It was a fun watch, but damn if they didn't try cramming everything in the kitchen sink in it :shock:

You underestimate children. I've met several children around me who watch EMH and they get it just fine.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Ugh the entire premise of the show is looking at things from his age groups childhood and pointing out how they suck. He even mocks Transformers and X-men though in the end says they are pretty ok.

He most certainly doesn't champion the idea that everything was awesome when he was twelve.

No I get that, but he really pays special attention to his beloved 80's shows compared to all the other shows out there. Just compare his review video of all 3 TMNT movies to something like the Power Rangers movie. In the TMNT ones he makes jokes but also says what works about it; in the Power Rangers or something like, oh say, Space Jam, it's nothing but digs.

Of course since i'm a 90's kid i'm going to take this matter more to the heart of course :P

• Options
    Ok that's actually fair. I appear to have misinterpreted you.

I apologize.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    So Young Justice season 2...
    Looks like they did a time jump 5 years into the future. Why is Aqua Lad so jacked now?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I don't know who this Jeph Loeb is or what he's done that's tainted his name in the industry

He's written some of the worst comics of the past decade (Hush, Red Hulk, Ultimatum), also he was the head writer for Heroes' second season. He ruins everything he touches, and yet still continues to find work.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Admittedly I've only watched through season three in Adventure Time, but I've seen absolutely zilch that implies

No I get that, but he really pays special attention to his beloved 80's shows compared to all the other shows out there. Just compare his review video of all 3 TMNT movies to something like the Power Rangers movie. In the TMNT ones he makes jokes but also says what works about it; in the Power Rangers or something like, oh say, Space Jam, it's nothing but digs.

Of course since i'm a 90's kid i'm going to take this matter more to the heart of course :P

I think the reason for that is that there's actual moments of charm in the TMNT movies, while the Power Rangers and Space Jam movies were atrocities unto the Lord.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Admittedly I've only watched through season three in Adventure Time, but I've seen absolutely zilch that implies

I think the reason for that is that there's actual moments of charm in the TMNT movies, while the Power Rangers and Space Jam movies were atrocities unto the Lord.

There are just as many moments of charm in Power Rangers and Space Jam as in those shitty TMNT movies.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular

EDIT:

I don't know who this Jeph Loeb is or what he's done that's tainted his name in the industry, but I do agree with the part where he talks about being lost in the show; I wanted a good chunk of those episodes online and they tried cramming so much story in such a small time frame. If I was a kid i'd be completely lost on who's who, what's going on or having any real investment in the plot if I missed just one episode.

See, that's the kind of mentality I wish would disappear. There really shouldn't be anything wrong with showing two people who love each other who happen to be the same gender on a kids show in this day amd age.

There shouldnt be anything there that indicates adult content, but somehow a gay relationship would be scandalous and wrong. Just once I want to see someone have the balls to depict gay as being a normal thing. It'd be GOOD for kids for christ sakes.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm honestly shocked by all the stuff Adventure Time gets away with on a show for kids. Not that it offends me, but that James Dobson or somebody hasn't led a protest march on the Cartoon Network offices yet.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the stuff adventure time gets away with is nothing compared to the stuff Regular Show does

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

EDIT:

See, that's the kind of mentality I wish would disappear. There really shouldn't be anything wrong with showing two people who love each other who happen to be the same gender on a kids show in this day amd age.

There shouldnt be anything there that indicates adult content, but somehow a gay relationship would be scandalous and wrong. Just once I want to see someone have the balls to depict gay as being a normal thing. It'd be GOOD for kids for christ sakes.

These are extremely large corporations which typically have conservative leanings. That's why progress is so slow on such matters on gender and sexuality in the media. Some are better than others, but they're all similar enough that they face the same obstacles. They also loathe risk, despite the fact all they do is gamble with their projects. Corporate politics probably is involved, as well.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Regular Show is equally fucked up. My 7-year-old cousin watches it and it doesn't even phase her. Rigby actually died and the yeti guy arm wrestled death for his soul.

I can't really say they're more fucked up than the shows I grew up with, Rocko's Modern Life for example, but they're certainly on par and I would say more refined.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    Looks like they did a time jump 5 years into the future. Why is Aqua Lad so jacked now?

I didn't catch that that was Aqualad. I thought it was just some new character.

I wonder what happened to
    Kid Flash, Artemis, and Speedy/Red Arrow.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

That's Lagoon Boy. He's from the comics.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

No I who Lagoon Boy is. I'm talking about the black guy who was jacked and giving out mission orders

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options

No I who Lagoon Boy is. I'm talking about the black guy who was jacked and giving out mission orders

Oh, I think that's Vox. He was on the Teen Titans. IIRC he appeared briefly in season 1 (with Bumblebee) in the episode where Artemis goes to school in Gotham.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Young Justice what the fuck
    I hate timeskips.

Blue Beetle was amazing though.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, it could have been as little as a few months and they could have made largely the same changes, cast-wise.

Again, loving how the amount of characters has quadrupled since the start of the show.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Admittedly I've only watched through season three in Adventure Time, but I've seen absolutely zilch that implies .

Here ya go,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfb6cRAugo4&feature=related

There was never anything really official other than the main character artist drawing them that way, then the above happened. Go to 1:54, that's where it hits the strongest. I'm not sure it was intended like that, and it probably wasn'
    t, but most fans got a strong vibe that they might be a bit more than friends. Also later on in the same episode PB mentions she sleeps in one of Marceline's shirts.

I haven't seen much of Young Justice, but I do hear many good things. What I've seen in clips seems kind of meh though, is it worth watching considering I've mostly seen DCAU stuff like B:TAS when it comes to DC?

• Options
    I haven't seen much of Young Justice, but I do hear many good things. What I've seen in clips seems kind of meh though, is it worth watching considering I've mostly seen DCAU stuff like B:TAS when it comes to DC?

It's pretty great. It's similar to the BTAS era stuff, moreso the later shows like Justice League and JL: Unlimited. It's the show I've been most interested in since JLU - love me some over-arching storylines.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

I don't know who this Jeph Loeb is or what he's done that's tainted his name in the industry

He's written some of the worst comics of the past decade (Hush, Red Hulk, Ultimatum), also he was the head writer for Heroes' second season. He ruins everything he touches, and yet still continues to find work.

He was pretty good once. Then, personal tragedy struck, and he seems to have never recovered from it. Not that I blame him, but it's like he can't see what he's become and no one has the heart to tell him to his face.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Shadowen wrote: »

He was pretty good once. Then, personal tragedy struck, and he seems to have never recovered from it. Not that I blame him, but it's like he can't see what he's become and no one has the heart to tell him to his face.

He was good in the 90's. I first read his work on Cable. His stuff was easy to digest, fun to read and didn't require much thinking required. However, he was never highly talented like A-listers are (Bendis, Busiek, Waid etc). Haven't read his critically acclaimed Batman mini-series yet maybe he's better there. His Daredevil: Yellow was decent. But he only really got famous later on from having access to the best artists and wrote to a predictable formula designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Perhaps no-one has the political power to tell him to his face that his work has sucked. Being a Hollywood screenwriter has given him access to better protection from criticism or demotions than your average writer IMO. He's heavily connected to the parent companies IMO (they don't give the head of animation position to comic writers no matter who they are either they're consultants or get to do occasional screenplays for projects on tv). With WB and Marvel Corporate at his back he has nothing to fear.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well the stuff adventure time gets away with is nothing compared to the stuff Regular Show does

Regular Show does their older humor so subtle it flies straight over the heads of the young crowd. They are so nuanced about slipping it in with their delivery it's practically an art form.

Adventure Time is more in-your-face and obvious about it, which is actually worse when you think about it. AT really doesn't hold a candle when it comes to RS delivery.

EDIT:

I'm honestly indifferent towards what he did with superhero comics, but he needs to be put on trial for war crimes for what he did to Heroes.

Godfather on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    While I don't mind the time skip in Young Justice, I just hope the writers don't forget it.
    It was a bit too convenient that the lost 16 hour had zero consequences until now.

I hope they don't have plot threads from the last season show up again in season 2 treated as if no time had passed.

Also, the way they structured it really makes me wonder if they had planned or is planning some kind of two parter special or movie that would bridge the gap between the two seasons similar to the movie that was planned to bridge the gap between Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

Although, I have to say that the transition between Justice League and Justice League Unlimited was done much better since they actually wrapped up the major plot arcs in Justice League before the jump to Unlimited.

It's very risky for Young Justice to do the time skip with so many major plot arcs, including the main plot, of the first season left hanging there unresolved.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    The Young Justice time skip is pretty cool since it let them introduce a lot of characters they obviously wanted to, but likely wouldn't have had time to over the natural course of the series (Nightwing, Tim and Batgirl probably being the biggest for story reasons and Beast Boy since he was like 8-10 in his first appearance). It was a little odd, because if you aren't familiar with the comics, you don't really have any idea who these people or what they're doing (why is Blue Beetle talking to himself?) and it didn't really address any of the team and personal changes. All of which can be solved over the second season.

It's actually a pretty good move on their part since CN has treated past DC ensemble shows poorly and they probably want to get the characters in before they're cancelled or another show forces a character embargo.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Simply getting the new characters in won't prevent a character embargo.

With the DCAU, the Bat-embargo during JLU affected pretty much all Batman characters, including Harley Quinn, which was created by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini for the DCAU.

As for the time skip, the biggest problem was that it left so much stuff in season 1 unresolved. The lost 16 hours wasn't the only problem they were facing. The fact that Vandal Savage took over the entire Justice League means that he could know all their secret identities. He could have stolen a ton of JL secrets and technology. Even with the failure to take over the League, the Conspiracy of Light is still extremely powerful and with the secrets they learned during the time they had control over the League, they should be more powerful than ever.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Holy crap Young Justice, Lobo and Tim Curry? not bad.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I think Adventure Time is trying to be really overt all the time. Subtlety is not the name of the game there.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options

With the DCAU, the Bat-embargo during JLU affected pretty much all Batman characters, including Harley Quinn, which was created by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini for the DCAU.

As for the time skip, the biggest problem was that it left so much stuff in season 1 unresolved. The lost 16 hours wasn't the only problem they were facing. The fact that Vandal Savage took over the entire Justice League means that he could know all their secret identities. He could have stolen a ton of JL secrets and technology. Even with the failure to take over the League, the Conspiracy of Light is still extremely powerful and with the secrets they learned during the time they had control over the League, they should be more powerful than ever.

Seriously. Did the Justice League just never bother to catch Savage or Luthor or anyone in those 5 years?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Seriously. Did the Justice League just never bother to catch Savage or Luthor or anyone in those 5 years?

Who knows. Maybe they did all that off-screen. 5 years is a long time to shut down The Light.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Who knows. Maybe they did all that off-screen. 5 years is a long time to shut down The Light.
    Luthor and Savage spend most of their time in jail, it doesn't really hinder any of their long term plans.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Luthor and Savage spend most of their time in jail, it doesn't really hinder any of their long term plans.

True.
    Belle Reve didn't slow down Professor Ivo, either.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Luthor can out smart and out chessmaster Superman. He can't do that to Batman. Batman has had 5 years to prepare. That basically makes him invincible.

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular

If they're introducing the new generation sidekicks, it's possible Kid Flash became the Flash. I'm surprised they didn't introduce Bart Allen as Impulse or Kid Flash, but maybe they're getting to that later. I'm still waiting for Arrowette and Empress.

PS: While Nostalgia Critic gets annoying very fast with his over-the-top antics, the Nostalgia Chick reviews are intelligent and genuinely witty. I also like Linkara when he's actually reviewing and not doing bad comedy. His History of the Power Rangers series is really, really good. Sage is good too, but he's nothing special compared to the many, many video games and anime review sites on the internet.

Spoony shouldn't sketches. Ever. And Brad Jones/Cinema Snob I like best when he does the unscripted stuff.

This discussion has been closed.