As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: I get it, you hate Belarus

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    It's rough, at first. Ain't gonna lie. Just finished Horizon and I'm still cleaning out enemies with the Eviscerator easily (one-shotting fully armored vorcha never gets old). That's at about two Shepard health and two damage protection upgrades, with my shotty running at the same number.

As long as I keep using charge to refill my shields and stasis to pin down the nastier enemies, I'm in pretty damn good shape.

The nice thing, as that I don't have to babysit my allies as much since the enemy is so damned preoccupied with me bouncing back and forth like a pinball. Most fights are being finished in a quarter of the time that it takes my engy, and I'm dying about as much at this point.

In short: I'm having a goddamn blast.

It is great.

Played soldier on insanity too. Better than I expected, but it's got nothing on the Vanguard.

But Vanguard?

Bliss.

Except when it isn't. IE, charge glitches. Died so often to them on Arrival.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Soldier is interesting enough but I always found it less so than most of the others. It's not shooter easy mode but it does seem like shooter mode. The other options are all about adding new and different flavors to the gameplay where Soldier is about enhancing it. It is fun, but if you want some variation then Soldier is not what you pick.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Soldier is the only class that can use the assault rifle from the beginning, so right there is variation. Especially the Revenant assault rifle. That gun is the only answer you need.

It's like a power all on its own. Combined with adrenaline rush it's awesome super fun time mode. Spraying fire bullets in slow motion, all fucking dudes up.

Hunter on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Soldier is the only class that can use the assault rifle from the beginning, so right there is variation. Especially the Revenant assault rifle. That gun is the only answer you need.

It's like a power all on its own. Combined with adrenaline rush it's awesome super fun time mode. Spraying fire bullets in slow motion, all fucking dudes up.

Eh.

Despite my liking for holding down the fire button and laughing, I kinda find assault rifles something less than incredible.

They don't have a weak spot to encourage certain tactics. They're just general bullet hoses. Fine role, of course, but the Kassa Locust does it just fine.

Soldiers can't get the Locust. Poor soldiers.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    (figured by playing everything else, I'd get a good idea of the soldier experience)

WRONG

Soldier is so fun to play and so many people have the wrong perception.

It's not just shooter easy mode. It's a mix of aggressive run and gun, as well as setting up cross fire to take out strategic enemy emplacements.

Also, more often then not I'm trying to flank or get behind enemies where I can assault rifle 2 or 3 guys to death quickly and then dive for cover. Shock Trooper for the win.

I like playing as soldier the most..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I already get enough shooting from cover with the other five classes.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Infiltrator is kinda fun. I use reave as a bonus power though, rendering incinerate mostly useless. Being all cloaked and sniping people in the spine is a blast.

Really not as fun as Vanguard though. Only class I've played Hardcore on. Jumping from enemy to enemy and giving them samples of warp bullets in the head is just too much fun.

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also used Infi with Reave, which yeah made Incinerate useless. Just meant more points for elsewhere.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Good thing then that the soldier doesn't have to really do that, and you can wade in and blast fools. In slow motion. Like you're in a John Woo movie. Doves flying around you and people on fire.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Infiltrator is fun when you just keep nailing headshot after headshot, and making enemies shit their combat suits waiting for the inevitable skull crushing blast from an invisible assassin.

Hunter on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah.. when you do soldier right it feels kinda like Max Payne in space
    + the widow and the revenant aren't "bullet hoses".. they're more like death fire trucks

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love the Widow so much.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Good thing then that the soldier doesn't have to really do that, and you can wade in and blast fools. In slow motion. Like you're in a John Woo movie. Doves flying around you and people on fire.

For the record, I am now working on Soldier-Specific battle cries, where every time you fire Adrenaline Rush, you shout, "She was my sister!" and then the enemy fires back, "If you wanted her safe, you should never have left Mindoir!"

Also, only soldiers can take cover on mirrors with enemies on the other side whose faces are duplicate headmorphs of Shepard's ME1 face.

takyris on
  • Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm roleplaying a charming super spy lady infiltrator in this playthrough. Thinking of replacing reave with dominate so I can practically mind control organic and synthetic enemies into shooting each other while I cloak-spinesever everyone else. Plus, at some point there has to be mind control involved when I'm talking my way out of everything.

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man, playing the Arrival DLC was fun simply because enemies were packed in tight spaces. Run in, slow motion, shoot people.

I also used the Black Hole gun a few times when there were just a lot of idiots crammed together. Nice plan there. Catch this mini black hole and have fun with your 5 buddies.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Singularity was just a trip during Arrival.

Chuck one at the door, wait a few seconds for it to gather up a mess of idiots coming through the door and then throw a heavy warp at it.

boom.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I get slow-mo and sniper rifles with Infiltrators. Shotguns, flinging people around, and moving faaaaast with Vanguards. Ammo powers between those two classes.

There's nothing in the soldier class remotely interesting to me.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can't compare the infiltrator slow-mo to the soldier one. They only technically have the same effect. Realistically, both have wildly different uses.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My Goozex copy of ME2 just arrived

man it's been a while since I touched the Xbox version of this game

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I get slow-mo and sniper rifles with Infiltrators. Shotguns, flinging people around, and moving faaaaast with Vanguards. Ammo powers between those two classes.

You are comparing apples to the front bumper of a chevy. You're not even comparing fruit to fruit with Infiltrator sniper mode vs Soldier using Adrenaline rush.

Also, you're making up reasons not to like a class which is retarded. If you played it and didn't like it, OK. Don't make assumptions though. Especially comparing things that aren't similar at all.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You are comparing apples to the front bumper of a chevy. You're not even comparing fruit to fruit with Infiltrator sniper mode vs Soldier using Adrenaline rush.

Also, you're making up reasons not to like a class which is retarded. If you played it and didn't like it, OK. Don't make assumptions though. Especially comparing things that aren't similar at all.

yeah, seriously.

Sniper mode: only with sniper rifles

Adrenaline rush: only with EVERYTHING

I think, it's been a while since I played a soldier

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I do just fine without any slo-mo at all. Still not seeing the appeal. Regardless of how much you like the class, it doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just like playing infiltrator because I love sniper rifles. Mmmmm cuddly.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It makes your reasoning less valid, because they don't reflect reality.

Your opinion is your opinion however, and you have all the right in the world to have it. I'm just asking you base it on the actual game and its mechanics instead of completely butchering what sniper slow motion is compared to adrenalin rush.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We're comparing different ways to shoot people. There's some remarkable comparisons to be made, with or without shit flinging.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, Reave is better than Incinerate for Infiltrators, you say?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well you get incinerate no matter what

you can train to get reave.

and I love reave.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    By far, at least for me.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like that reave fucks up barriers and armor. It's great for killing Harbingers.

I like incinerate in that if someone doesn't have any protection, it kills them a bit faster than reave.

Even though it is fun watching reave just kind of suck the life out of them.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You can usually tell in advance if Reave will kill them or not, so when they're all dangly you just shoot them in the head.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reave and warp is just a cruel combination.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I kind of wish this thread title was an X-Men: The Arcade Game joke

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I usually just take Warp ammo or Tungsten ammo on my infiltrator. With the widow and one of those, you can basically one shot anything except a huge mech.

Enemy engineers will need a headshot with Tungsten ammo though, body shot is just not quite enough even with stuff fully upgraded.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You can usually tell in advance if Reave will kill them or not, so when they're all dangly you just shoot them in the head.

Oh sure. Believe me I do that alllll the time.

It's just sometimes I'm in a hurry and it's easier to just set a dude on fire and move on with my life.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jordyn wrote: »

Oh sure. Believe me I do that alllll the time.

It's just sometimes I'm in a hurry and it's easier to just set a dude on fire and move on with my life.

300wvg7.jpg

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    JLA32Whyareyoudoingthis.jpg

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Soldier remains my preference; biotic classes have always felt a little neutered/dull in comparison, and tech classes seem underwhelming.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As soon as you guys want to switch over to pictures of M'gann, you just let me know.
    Miss_Martian_%28Earth-16%29.jpg
    Hellooooooo Megan!

That... that wasn't creepy by the standards of this thread, right?

takyris on
  • Options
    MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, taky, get a deal with DC to put M'gann in as a DLC party member in ME3. Please?

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    takyris wrote: »
    As soon as you guys want to switch over to pictures of M'gann, you just let me know.
    Miss_Martian_%28Earth-16%29.jpg
    Hellooooooo Megan!

That... that wasn't creepy by the standards of this thread, right?

By the standards of this thread?

It takes effort to be creepy.

As for classes, I really don't get people who don't like Vanguard. I understand that this is a thing, but my brain has been rewired into Vanguard patterns.

chiasaur11 on
This discussion has been closed.