As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

After a preload, what stops leaks?

Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast,be kindRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Just thought about this, while preloading Portal 2...
PORTAL2FUCKYES

Anyway; a preload stores the entire game on your PC, right? I assume it's all locked up somehow... but is there anything special about it which will stop people cracking it right now?

What I'm getting at; is this the time to abandon the internet, in fear of Portal 2 spoilers?

Oh brilliant
Dark Raven X on

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just thought about this, while preloading Portal 2...
    PORTAL2FUCKYES

Anyway; a preload stores the entire game on your PC, right? I assume it's all locked up somehow... but is there anything special about it which will stop people cracking it right now?

What I'm getting at; is this the time to abandon the internet, in fear of Portal 2 spoilers?

Critical files are withheld until launch, that plus various forms of encryption.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Asymmetric encryption, not preloading some critical files required to actually run the game until release. Stuff like that. I've never heard of a Steam game cracked before release just from the preload data.

And, IMO, while I thought Portal's story was rather cute -- in a deranged way -- it doesn't strike me as a game where inadvertent spoilers would just ruin the experience. I think many people tend to over-analyze the series way too much. But that issue is really up to you.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It did have some neat twists i'd have hated to know about beforehand, though. Since Portal 2 is a bigger game with more effort in it, I expect more hidden goodness.

But yeah, on leaks, what others have said before. You download bulky files like art and sound assets, but they keep the useful code to actually make it work.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png