As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    360 and PS3 I believe.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Boo. :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Capcom's been pretty good with PC ports lately, so I would expect one shortly after the console release.

Turkey on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why yes, I would like M-rated Monster Hunter :)

Loved Monster Hunter Tri... even if I stopped playing the very week I finally bagged Altherion and Deviljho... I didn't mind the grind (in fact I might have accually enjoyed it, especially since I did most of it online with PA peeps) on the way to the top, but I just couldn't grind for grinding's sake.

Already can't wait to play this.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    Capcom's been pretty good with PC ports lately, so I would expect one shortly after the console release.

Oh I agree with their ports for PC being pretty good but the fact that its not announced now is what concerns me.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure if that above video is the same as this one on the Playstation US blog or not.

The premise of the story seems simple enough.
    A giant fucking dragon rips your heart out of your chest and flies away with it. Your quest is to find the dragon and politely ask him at sword-point why he did it.

I have a better question.
    How are you still alive?!

This is probably the only time where magic is not a joke answer.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks interesting. I like games where I can't directly tell how it 'works.' This game looks like an action adventure title AND also looks like a stat-driven RPG at the same time.

The characters talk a little too much, especially when they yell on top of eachother in that video, but...

This could be some really good stuff, in the sense that there are probably features and touches in this game that will be reused by a lot of other games in the year after it comes out.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure if that above video is the same as this one on the Playstation US blog or not.

A giant fucking dragon rips your heart out of your chest and flies away with it. Your quest is to find the dragon and politely ask him at sword-point why he did it.

Better question: if THAT didn't kill you, why would anything else in the game be threatening at all?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Better question: if THAT didn't kill you, why would anything else in the game be threatening at all?

Maybe it's a stopgap solution. Like the magic 'only' will keep you alive for three months, tops, if you don't get your heart back.

Or maybe there's bigger issues at play. In that E3 playvid above, the characters were mentioning that you weren't just fucking up kobolds or whatever for being kobolds, but because they had prisoners and crap you were trying to rescue. A magically sustained hero might still fight to keep the world he knows from sliding into a dark age, regardless of what can hurt him directly.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Or maybe only the blood of other mythical creatures can sustain you. Rip out that chimaera's heart! Feast on that gryphon meat!

I'd be curious to find out that one little detail, but otherwise, as long as the gameplay is solid, and from the videos there's no reason to suspect otherwise (yet), I'm looking forward to seeing more.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Arise, sir thread. New story trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvOc3QzX4A

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    This may have dropped down to a rental for me. That trailer lacks a lot of the promises Capcom was trying to sell us before, like details about companions and your character. How customizable are you? Can you change the physical appearance of your character? (Unlikely since it shows a younger version of you). What are your combat options like as you progress in the game?

I'm also getting a bit of a White Knight Chronicles vibe from this. Silent protagonist, dodgy voice acting.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    It's a story trailer, El Fantastico, not an extended gameplay preview.

I thought it looked okay. I'm still really excited about the game, and am glad it's only a few months away. I am disappointed to know that it doesn't feature co-op, though. You can borrow companions from people online, but not their main characters.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I would like to see some more gameplay, or at least get some more details.

Last thing I saw was last E3, the fight against the Gryphon. That gave me a kinda monster hunter vibe.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    This may have dropped down to a rental for me. That trailer lacks a lot of the promises Capcom was trying to sell us before, like details about companions and your character. How customizable are you? Can you change the physical appearance of your character? (Unlikely since it shows a younger version of you). What are your combat options like as you progress in the game?

I'm also getting a bit of a White Knight Chronicles vibe from this. Silent protagonist, dodgy voice acting.

Don't rent, just wait a month or two and you'll probably find it in the bargain bin. That way you get the RE6 demo (bundled in all copies of Dragon's Dogma) as well.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular

According to the one video on GameTrailers, your character seems to be fully customizable.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-dragons-dogma/720839

No idea about the combat options.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I found this game through the RE6 news. It looks promising. I hope it's decent because I'll be buying it for the RE6 demo. They reference a lot of shadows of the colossus vibe on gamespot.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You know, this kind of reminds me of Monster Hunter done in a more "Western" looking style (Dragon Age maybe?). Although they are making a blatant attempt to sell it on getting the demo to RE6 early, I actually think this game has enough merit to keep an eye on despite that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Allforce on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm buying it.

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    Well, I'm buying it.

LOL that's exactly what I said when I saw him throw the pig.

• Options
    I wonder if the cow would get angry if you threw the pig at it.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    roof jumping

pig throwing

this game is mine

this is my game

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I am 100% commited to buy a gritty fantasy game that still lets me hug a random bunny.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wow, this really looks awesome. I'm getting a very Amalur+Skyrim feel from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7oEmWMAIk

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    yep. i'm all over this.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The funny thing is that's what makes me hesitate. It looks great, I'll grant. But between Amalur and Skyrim and games like Arcania and other open world RPG's in my backlog...I just dont think I can handle another for awhile.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2012

The funny thing is that's what makes me hesitate. It looks great, I'll grant. But between Amalur and Skyrim and games like Arcania and other open world RPG's in my backlog...I just dont think I can handle another for awhile.

Gothic 4: Arcania? You can skip that one! Play Risen and the upcoming Risen 2 instead, which were made by the original Gothic team.

Dashui on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

Gothic 4: Arcania? You can skip that one! Play Risen and the upcoming Risen 2 instead, which were made by the original Gothic team.

I'll get Risen. I have a coupon for it from the holiday sale I was just waiting a few more days to see if went on sale via daily deal before I bought it.

But I really liked the demo for Arcania; even though people dog on it I bet I'll enjoy it enough. And if not I got it gifted for free so hey, no loss right?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Risen's combat didn't do it for me. This does look pretty cool. Definitely on my watch list now.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Here's a nearly 2 hour stream of the game being played. I'm sure there be spoilers in here but its still interesting to those that don't really care about that sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOgchg-az9k&feature=player_embedded

• Options
    That stream is awesome. Lots of badass moments with showing off hybrid classes. Some great comical moments, too.

• Options
    You know I will eat crow because the minute I heard "EXCLUSIVE RESIDENT EVIL DEMO WITH PURCHASE" I wrote this game off as a turd, but go to 1:04:00 on that video and just watch the shit hit the fan. Guy picks up a knight over his shoulder and heaps his flailing body over the edge of the wall. Then he goes down to "make it rain" (the host's words) magic heat-seeking arrows on 2 12-foot cyclops' who are beating the shit out of each other in the courtyard.

Insanity.

• Options
    Hybrid classes? Magic archery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmb0F00YPE

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Please let this game be successful. I know it's super ugly but that's necessary because the gameplay is goddamn amazing and look at all that shit on-screen.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Yeah I really can't think of anything better than magic archery.

• Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    The framerate in that stream looks improved since the last preview at PAX - I skipped the booth then since it was almost a slideshow, but I'll have to give it a second look now.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    I'd actually really dig it if you could turn off all the HUD items when you play, lets see if it's an option when it comes out.

Knowing Capcom this will have like 1 save file or some other ridiculously confusing "feature" or lack thereof that ruins the game.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I despised the combat of Skyrim and while Amalur's was an improvement it still left a lot to be desired.

This, on the other hand.... DAY ZERO

EVOL on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Looks great to me thus far. I originally thought this would just be a big hack with RE6 on it to try to move it, but honestly this game seems pretty great. Yeah it doesn't have the best graphics, but it's giving me a huge "This is gritty fantasy" vibe from it. I especially love the concept of climbing all over larger enemies.

I have to wonder if picking up bunnies and tossing them at monsters will be an effective distraction.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
This discussion has been closed.