As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    That reminds me, I should really watch that movie.

Any chances that the game will have a character/pawn web portal like the one in Saints Row 3?

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    They keep mentioning a mobile app that will be out before the release so maybe. I just want them to hurry up and date the demo.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    It's Skyrim+Monster Hunter... I'm so going to get lost in this world.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Curious how the Pawns are literally something called 'Pawns' in the gameworld. Like spirit puppets or something that normal humans are kind of freaked out by.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Curious how the Pawns are literally something called 'Pawns' in the gameworld. Like spirit puppets or something that normal humans are kind of freaked out by.

Apparently Pawns have no soul and beings with the power of the Arisen can command them.
    So they kinda ARE like puppets. They have enough "free will" to walk around and do stuff, but they are not actual alive humans.
    They are also immortal. When they "die" they just go back to the Rift.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Sounds like a bunch of story malarkey meant to explain a gameplay mechanic.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    That's some creepy ass shit.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The creepiest shit is that a Drake can pick up your pawn and go all "I AM YOUR MASTER NOW!" on them and they will go "Oh ok". And then they will PROCEED TO KILL YOU.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    The creepiest shit is that a Drake can pick up your pawn and go all "I AM YOUR MASTER NOW!" on them and they will go "Oh ok". And then they will PROCEED TO KILL YOU.

Fucking Drakes.
    Not cool enough to be Dragons so they take it out on your souless dummies.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Sounds like a bunch of story malarkey meant to explain a gameplay mechanic.

It's a hell of a lot better than 'These guys don't seem to matter and don't come from anywhere, and you can get them back if they die.'

I'm all in favor of gameplay mechanics having a game-world rationale behind them. Stuff ought to matter to the game world if it's supposed to matter to you.

• Options
    They should be failed adventurers ensorceled by drakes or something...

Now my wife is telling me ensorceled isn't a word... and so is spell check. I know I've heard that word before. How about Cursed? Cursed by a dragon to lose all will. Somehow you managed to sidestep that issue and now You can control previously cursed people. Or something. Pawns seems like a cop-out.

fake edit: Enchanted? I like cursed more. Ensorceled most.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm calling my magician Pawn Ensorceler...

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »
    They should be failed adventurers ensorceled by drakes or something...

Now my wife is telling me ensorceled isn't a word... and so is spell check. I know I've heard that word before. How about Cursed? Cursed by a dragon to lose all will. Somehow you managed to sidestep that issue and now You can control previously cursed people. Or something. Pawns seems like a cop-out.

fake edit: Enchanted? I like cursed more. Ensorceled most.

I think you mixed Enchanted and sorcerer maybe enthralled too

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Chad! Bro! Did you see the pics that Kendra put up on Macebook? You got so ensorceled last night!
    Wicked righteous! Wait, who's that girl I'm doing body shots off of?
    That's not a girl, bro! That's an orc!

FRANK!
    What is it, honey!?
    Do you know what I just caught your daughter doing? She was... ensorceling a boy!
    Oh my God. What do you have to say for yourself, young lady?

Look. Mr. Blemkowski. Just because your potency is below average doesn't mean there isn't hope. Remember, your best chance for ensorceling her is during ovulation.

Oh man, you've never been to nymphsensorceled.com? Check this shit out.
    *click* *click* *typetypetypetype*
    Fuck, dude. What the fuck are they doing to that water sprite!? I think I'm gonna be sick...

Listen, Tom, it's out of my hands.
    What? Is this about my productivity? Jim, you saw those numbers. I don't have anything to work with.
    Management is aware of the situation. It's not that.
    Then what is it?
    Tom, it's-
    Tell me.
    They say you're not a "team player."
    It's Vince, isn't it?
    I don't thi-
    Bloomwest wants his little prick of a nephew promoted and I'm in the way. You know what? I quit. I don't need this shit.
    To-
    Hey. Go ensorcel yourself.

Yeah. I approve of this word.

Monger on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Did you write all of that lololol :lol:

• Options
    edited April 2012
    So much win!

I was thinking about character combos for this game... The obvious ones came first. Robin Hood and Little John. Aragorn and Legolas. Then I was thinking... if the character creator is that robust... Mike and Jerry...

e: But who would be the pawn...

Dyvion on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    As a shameless anime nerd, my first thought was Lina Inverse and Gourry Gabriev.

This was only enhanced by the fact that a lot of the high-level spells fuck shit up.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Do you mean ensconced?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's a perfectly cromulent word. The internet says so, so it must be true.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ensorcel

en·sor·cell or en·sor·cel (n-sôrsl)
    tr.v. en·sor·celled or en·sor·celed, en·sor·cel·ling or en·sor·cel·ing, en·sor·cells or en·sor·cels
    To enchant; bewitch.

Also:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/05/19

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh yeah? Well, you're forgetting one thing.

Make that three things.

On each bumper.

So, six things total.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »

That's hardly creepy. Just makes the pawns seem like snotty bitches, really.

but he's bigger and neeeeeaaaaaateeeerrrrrr

• Options
    edited April 2012
    http://www.capcom-europe.com/blog/2012/04/dragons-dogma-preview-and-interview/

Interview mentions that the demo has full character creation and you can then port that character into the game when it releases. YES!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »

Interview mentions that the demo has full character creation and you can then port that character into the game when it releases. YES!

YESSS going to spend so much time on this FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    haha - twitter and facebook integration for your pawns!

Did I hear right that other players can use your "character" as a pawn when you are not playing??

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular

Goody good good good. I love character creators. I spend hours on them!

..Don't judge me.

• Options
    Louie wrote: »
    haha - twitter and facebook integration for your pawns!

Did I hear right that other players can use your "character" as a pawn when you are not playing??

Consistent bad wording in that gamespot preview. People use your primary pawn if you put them in an inn when offline, they cant use your personal character.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That's pretty sweet. So your pawn can level up while you're not playing?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Not in a sense of experience as we commonly discuss it (if hired at level 10 they will stay at level 10) but they can gain knowledge of certain quests, parts of the world or monsters. For example if someone uses your pawn to fight lots of chymera then when you encounter one then they can provide advice on how to fight it and act accordingly to it's strength/weaknesses.

EDIT: every quest, monster and area has a rating out of 3 stars for how experienced with it each pawn is.

They can also be given gifts to take back to you and you will earn rift points when they are used. Rift points are used to hire pawns yourself.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

DEMO?

When.

• Options

Not in a sense of experience as we commonly discuss it (if hired at level 10 they will stay at level 10) but they can gain knowledge of certain quests, parts of the world or monsters. For example if someone uses your pawn to fight lots of chymera then when you encounter one then they can provide advice on how to fight it and act accordingly to it's strength/weaknesses.

EDIT: every quest, monster and area has a rating out of 3 stars for how experienced with it each pawn is.

They can also be given gifts to take back to you and you will earn rift points when they are used. Rift points are used to hire pawns yourself.

Oh my goodness, that's really awesome! Gonna hand out the nicest gifts to the people with the most helpful Pawns :)

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

DEMO?

When.

"A few weeks before release" apparently so I'd bet on end of April start of May.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Oh my goodness, that's really awesome! Gonna hand out the nicest gifts to the people with the most helpful Pawns :)

Exactly - classy gents always give gifts.

I feel like I need to make a pawn that is quite unique looking and with a very desirable skill set - I imagine there will be loads of tank pawns, making a very useful utility buffer or debuffer would be great.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh man... crafting the best pawn is going to be a game all its own.

• Options

I like that gift that guy in the demo video gave - a grape.

A motherfucking grape.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I like that gift that guy in the demo video gave - a grape.

A motherfucking grape.

What I wouldn't give for a grape.

In my day you had to get up at 5 in the morning and walk up a mountain to collect your pawn to see what they had and at best all you got gifted was some dust or a grain of sand.

A grape!? Kids don't even know they were born these days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    At some point Im going to just give a pawn a zillion spacebux or whatever the currency is. just all my money.

Because when that guy loads his game and gets his pawn, he's gonna be SO HAPPY.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I hope if someone is a mage and gets a mega broadsword, their first thought is to give it to a pawn rather than vendor it for a few copper.

A pawn is for life, not just for Christmas.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I think that it would be cool to have a signature gift, a certain something that you always gave out, even if it was a bit shitty. Kind of a calling card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    At some point Im going to just give a pawn a zillion spacebux or whatever the currency is. just all my money.

Because when that guy loads his game and gets his pawn, he's gonna be SO HAPPY.

he/she's gonna think it's hax

and delete it

and all will be lost

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    We need to get a meta tag going or something where we whore out our pawns to each other exclusively. I don't want someone's slapdash pawn full of flimflam and hogwash when I can have one of you glorious bastards create me a sparking star of awesome.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
This discussion has been closed.