As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Julia [chat]eva

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Instead of working on your computer CC, why not go out and meet a fancy lady.

It's midnight. And where would I go anyway?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, Mexico is huge.

Cinders on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And so what if she makes more money, keeps a busy schedule, and might be a lesbian, that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least take a shot, who knows

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    So... apparently every teacher in Detroit received a layoff notice...

Way to go Michigan!

How did that happen?

There's some kind of rule about how teachers can't be laid off without a notice of x days/weeks/months ahead of time. Detroit doesn't have enough money for its school districts, so it decided to hedge its bets by sending out a pre-emptive wave of layoff notices. That way it can now layoff whoever it feels like when it inevitably turns out that Detroit doesn't have the money to keep employing all those teachers.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, it worked this time, for some strange reason! I just hope it completes the process of scanning.

Thanks, Thom! I could have sworn I tried /x before, but whatever.

/x forces a dismount. I've seen anti-virus apps fuck with Chkdsk because some do continous scans or other things that won't allow dismount. /x tells chkdsk to force it even if a file is in use. So using it on C: can sometimes cause odd effects five to ten minutes afterwards.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Way to go Michigan!

How did that happen?

It's basically a stunt to send the teachers a message.

They wont all get laid off, but a lot probably will, and the rest are meant to be fearful for their jobs.

I know all my best teachers were constantly afraid of being fired for no good reason!

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    are you shitting me right now

cowboys and aliens?

ahahahah

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Way to go Michigan!

How did that happen?

There's some kind of rule about how teachers can't be laid off without a notice of x days/weeks/months ahead of time. Detroit doesn't have enough money for its school districts, so it decided to hedge its bets by sending out a pre-emptive wave of layoff notices. That way it can now layoff whoever it feels like when it inevitably turns out that Detroit doesn't have the money to keep employing all those teachers.

This seems like a good plan that can't possibly turn out poorly.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    nope, no complete scan, it stalled after the fourth line, identifying the volume label as 'heron'

damn

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Damn, Mexico is huge.

The game starts in 1836, when it still has everything west of the Louisiana Purchase. The US decided not to intervene in the Texas Revolution, so it got reabsorbed. Mexico got another few territories because some of the western US states technically start as empty land that the US can then colonize. The US did a very bad job of colonizing (hence Russian Oregon and Idaho, British Washington, and a few of the Mexican states).

By the end of the game, I think Mexico and the Confederate States were both Great Powers (they take the sum of prestige, industry, and military scores, and the top 8 are considered the Great Powers and have special privileges and bonuses), and the US was roughly equivalent to one of the more powerful Italian states, like Sardinia-Piedmont.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Finally finished Crusader Kings.

I wasn't really a big fan of it. It's the only Paradox game that I've played and disliked. I really like EU3, Victoria 1/2 and HoI 2/3, though.

I really enjoyed my playthrough. The final ten years had my king get excommunicated, and I had to deal with civil wars all over my empire. And then Croatia, Hungry, and France, started picking off a couple minor vassals so I had to deal with bad boy increases from getting my land back.

Here's an old outdated map from like 30 years ago.
    WAAAAAGH.png

I don't have the map of the US at the end of this game, but it was a lot of fun
    v21.png

The US ended up consisting of Washington DC and a couple of upper midwest states (Wisconsin and Minnesota, IIRC). It was getting the crap beaten out of it in the Civil War by Russia, Mexico, and the CS so I joined in and grabbed the mid-Atlantic. Every few years, the US would declare war on the CSA for lost territory, which would inevitably end up with CSA+Mexico+Russia winning and grabbing another few states. I joined in at the second such war to finish conquering the northeast.

The best part was that the Confederate States quickly outlawed slavery. The only reason a lot of staunch slave states like Illinois had emancipation was because the Confederate States fought for African American liberation. :P
    What is this game? It sounds kinda cool.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It might be a good thing, Detroit losing all its teachers. Gives the kids more time to spend learning how to fight in the gladiatorial arenas the homeless mobs have set up in their cardboard cities on the outskirts.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Way to go Michigan!

How did that happen?

Also, they need to make room for the incoming Education Droid Series 209 instructional robot.

Hopefully they'll be able to re-employ current teachers once the cyborg RoboTeacher program reaches maturity.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    nope, no complete scan, it stalled after the fourth line, identifying the volume label as 'heron'

damn

Well see that's why it's fucking up, it's on drugs.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011

cowboys and aliens?

ahahahah

still so fucking mad about that nasus

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They should make an Escape from Detroit movie.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They should make an Escape from Detroit movie.

It would be a documentary.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It might be a good thing, Detroit losing all its teachers. Gives the kids more time to spend learning how to fight in the gladiatorial arenas the homeless mobs have set up in their abandoned libraries that are crumbling from neglect.

FTFY

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Finally finished Crusader Kings.

I wasn't really a big fan of it. It's the only Paradox game that I've played and disliked. I really like EU3, Victoria 1/2 and HoI 2/3, though.

I really enjoyed my playthrough. The final ten years had my king get excommunicated, and I had to deal with civil wars all over my empire. And then Croatia, Hungry, and France, started picking off a couple minor vassals so I had to deal with bad boy increases from getting my land back.

Here's an old outdated map from like 30 years ago.
    WAAAAAGH.png

I don't have the map of the US at the end of this game, but it was a lot of fun
    v21.png

The US ended up consisting of Washington DC and a couple of upper midwest states (Wisconsin and Minnesota, IIRC). It was getting the crap beaten out of it in the Civil War by Russia, Mexico, and the CS so I joined in and grabbed the mid-Atlantic. Every few years, the US would declare war on the CSA for lost territory, which would inevitably end up with CSA+Mexico+Russia winning and grabbing another few states. I joined in at the second such war to finish conquering the northeast.

The best part was that the Confederate States quickly outlawed slavery. The only reason a lot of staunch slave states like Illinois had emancipation was because the Confederate States fought for African American liberation. :P
    What is this game? It sounds kinda cool.

Victoria 2. They're just about to release a patch that optimizes the late game, which is awesome. It slows down over time, so by 1890 or so it's been completely unplayable for me.

If you end up deciding to get it, check out some of the mods. There are some ridiculous imbalances in it (India tends to get completely assimilated very quickly, so by 1850 India consists entirely of millions of white British protestants, meaning Britain is almost impossible to take on after a certain point) that mods tweak quite nicely.

Edit: Incidentally, if you like a high level of micro-management, the prequel Victoria is the game for you.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

cowboys and aliens?

ahahahah

still so fucking mad about that nasus

don't be mad come play another game with me

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Detroit is a shit hole.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Carrot, try /x and /F.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Christian revisionist American history is always hilarious.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Barton_%28author%29
    In an article titled "Unconfirmed Quotations," Barton conceded that he has not located primary sources for eleven of the alleged quotes from James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and U.S. Supreme Court decisions (hence, the title of the article), but maintained that the quotes were "completely consistent" with the views of the Founders.[33]

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

damn

no i or terminal e there

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Detroit has lost more than half of its population in the last 10 years or so. It is what the prime example of a post industrial city that has had a mass migration.

Is it bad I see it as an awesome research place?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

damn

no i or terminal e there

it's sometimes called heron as well, Cee

i know that because i am from the streets, son

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So for those of you who aren't in the system, Facebook recently added a 'polling' function, allowing users to track the opinions of their friends. And I assume the data mining is worth approximately $Abu Dhabi.

Anyway, people are inattentive or ignorant, which results in some interesting misunderstandings. Like this poll, started by a girl with 214 friends, asking "I'm deleting people tomorrow, so if ya don't wanna be deleted, you do, or just don't give a crap...let me know : )". The poll has now been responded to by over 15,300 people.

What happened: users saw something like "[Friend's name] responded to "I'm deleting people tomorrow, so if ya don't wanna be deleted, you do, or just don't give a crap...let me know : )" with:
    -Keep me ... still like to be your friend
    -Keep Me
    -I would still like to be your friend.

Along with a tally. Clicking on an answer registers a response to the poll, as does leaving a comment. Which is where things get interesting. Believing that 1: the question was posed by a friend and 2: that their answer will be registered on their friend's wall in response to said question, and not necessarily be made public, you get stuff like this:

-KEEP ALL MY FRIENDS
    -Better keep family
    -What's up joe, somebody piss you off?
    -Say it ain't so...
    -Call me sometime--713-[actual goddamn phone number redacted]
    -Sweetheart please keep me as your friend love you
    -Keep me, I don't have alot of friends . I would hate to lose one

TL DR on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Detroit has lost more than half of its population in the last 10 years or so. It is what the prime example of a post industrial city that has had a mass migration.

I see it as a future opportunity to test nuclear weapon effectiveness against a modern American city.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

damn

no i or terminal e there

Well see that's why its's fucking up, it's associating with giant seabirds.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

One day it will be a ghost town full of empty buildings where the homeless will forge a new society, where only the most unemployed will survive.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Carrot, try /x and /F.

Hey, there we go. Steam is starting up. Though it prompted me for my login, for some reason. Thanks again!

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

damn

no i or terminal e there

Junkies don't spell well dog.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Donglover's added a store to his site, and he intends to eventually put all of his albums up for FREE. :O

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

One day it will be a ghost town full of empty buildings where the homeless will forge a new society, where only the most unemployed will survive.

Actually I think it is hitting the balance where it won't be losing any major chunks anymore. They are tearing down large amounts of condemned buildings. I guess they are setting urban farming as well. There are major changes happening there. Its really interesting to me.

Though the roving bands of hobos is much more interesting story wise.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Detroit has lost more than half of its population in the last 10 years or so.
    You're getting your numbers mixed up there. It was 950k in 2000, and now it's 720k.
    You mean for demographics and such? Not to me. Though I may not be the best judge.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Christ, Ricky Gervais has been looking good since he lost weight

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Detroit was a pretty big place, so half of pretty big is still relatively large.

The current residents are sick to death of documentary crews, social researchers, and urban explorers.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah messed up my time numbers. It is 1970 where it was 1.5 million. Still a huge drop in population. Of course this is the city, not the metropolitan area. Stupid brain messing up years.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Christian revisionist American history is always hilarious.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Barton_%28author%29
    In an article titled "Unconfirmed Quotations," Barton conceded that he has not located primary sources for eleven of the alleged quotes from James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and U.S. Supreme Court decisions (hence, the title of the article), but maintained that the quotes were "completely consistent" with the views of the Founders.[33]

Less hilarious: textbooks for much of the country being written according to his viewpoint.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
This discussion has been closed.